Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«178 »
KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wake up and
smell the murder.

You won't see any benefit from 128GB in either of those applications. Maybe if you're running a crapload of virtual machines or crunching big databases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

KillHour posted:

You won't see any benefit from 128GB in either of those applications. Maybe if you're running a crapload of virtual machines or crunching big databases.

That's what I get for guessing. Thanks.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003
A DAMN fine gentleman dahling

:sips brotein:

DAMN fine

KillHour posted:

That's why I just built a system with 64gb. But I do a lot of DB system virtualization and testing for DevOps and systems integration and deployment.

Won't make a difference for gaming or most stuff day-to-day

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber

Toast Museum posted:

If I'm not doing, I don't know, video encoding or protein folding, am I likely to see any benefit from 128GB of RAM over, say, 8GB?

Not really. I want tons of RAM is because I do a lot with Virtual Machines and also some amateur game development (tend to have a lot of tools open simultaneously). My current system has issues some times with 8GB RAM when I get working.

128GB of RAM is mass over kill for what I want to do. But if I have the option to get that much and it's not ridiculously expensive, I will do it.

It's been a long time since I have done any real video editing. I am not sure how much RAM video editors will use nowadays.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!

Lowen SoDium posted:

It's been a long time since I have done any real video editing. I am not sure how much RAM video editors will use nowadays.

Completely depends on what your source is and what your target output is. I ingest 1080p24/i60 or 720p60 and output at 1080p24/p30 or 720p60 and I have no issues whatsoever with 16GB (and a GTX970/i5-4690k@4.4GHZ).

My friend, however, does a lot of 4K timelapses from some ungodly MP of photos and bemoans when he was "stuck" with 64GB (he has 128GB now) on a 6-core i7 -X flavor with dual Titans. It's all about the scale.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at Jun 27, 2015 around 23:24

go3
Dec 20, 2006

yeah your average dude just re-encoding his animes is going to be CPU bottlenecked

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

What if I use chrome and want to have multiple tabs open? Will 128GB be enough?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber

WhyteRyce posted:

Maybe, what extensions do you use?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

lol snork ;D

WhyteRyce posted:

I think for that sort of extreme computing you might need to just go with a 512GB ramdisk, it might just barely be enough.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Like a previous poster, I find myself in a similar boat where I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and my CPU/RAM/motherboard are a Nehalem/Bloomfield i7 930 getup from 2010. I really want to wait until Skylake instead of plunking down the cash now, but either way I don't think I'm really CPU-limited on anything that I run, and aside from some messed up USB port behavior on my current system, things seem to work ok. I don't really game too much anymore, which is the only demanding application I use my system for; I switched to an SSD in 2011 (upgraded once more since then) and recently changed from a GeForce 460 to a 960... so my needs are basically covered.

Why do I still feel compelled to upgrade soon?

WhyteRyce posted:

But you can only get 128 GB if you can prove you're sufficiently hardcore.

VostokProgram
Feb 20, 2014

SpelledBackwards posted:

This is amazing. "EIGHT OF A KIND"

UHD
Nov 11, 2006
I'm sure something insightful will come to me eventually.

SpelledBackwards posted:

I can't tell if this dude expects to be taken seriously or not. Help.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

GO U NORTHWESTERN!

SpelledBackwards posted:

I want to punch that guy in the face. Clearly this is a lot in a consumer system, but it aint no thang in servers.

http://www.crucial.com/csrusa/en/ct32g4lfq4213

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

I doubt that even a dozen of you could slow me down.

SpelledBackwards posted:

Like a previous poster, I find myself in a similar boat where I have money burning a hole in my pocket, and my CPU/RAM/motherboard are a Nehalem/Bloomfield i7 930 getup from 2010. I really want to wait until Skylake instead of plunking down the cash now, but either way I don't think I'm really CPU-limited on anything that I run, and aside from some messed up USB port behavior on my current system, things seem to work ok. I don't really game too much anymore, which is the only demanding application I use my system for; I switched to an SSD in 2011 (upgraded once more since then) and recently changed from a GeForce 460 to a 960... so my needs are basically covered.

Why do I still feel compelled to upgrade soon?

But will it run Crysis?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

An INTIMATE...relationship

UHD posted:

I can't tell if this dude expects to be taken seriously or not. Help.

Boy, autism really is hard to live with.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

The fastest duck ever recorded was a red-breasted merganser -- it reached an true airspeed of 87 knots while being pursued by an airplane.

(Don't ever say I don't do nothin for ya.)
~SMcD

Panty Saluter posted:

Boy, autism really is hard to live with.

I dunno, he seems pretty happy in the video. Plus he can afford to play with so much ram.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Wake up and
smell the murder.

If you aren't using these, you ain't poo poo.

http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/technotes/tips1141.pdf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

WhyteRyce posted:

chrome expands until it has completely filled the container it's in, similar to a bad smell or sarin gas

«178 »