Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Should I wait until the Haswell refresh or Broadwell-D come out to upgrade my antique Phenom and switch to Intel, or are they likely to be more expensive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

If Z97 isn't going to have SATA Express, what exactly is it going to have that Z87 doesn't?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Dilbert As gently caress posted:

That's pretty interesting; I was going to do a HW upgrade but I might hold out. No use upgrading a DDR3 system when DDR4 is just around the corner.

good luck being an early adopter :shepface:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Do we know anything at all about Z97 except that it won't support SATA Express?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Shaocaholica posted:

^^^ Thanks ^^^

I might just spring for a cheap Pentium D 945 which only came in a 95W stepping and can be had for less than the cost of dinner. The 95W 960's seem to be non existent on the open market.

presler :magical:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

I know a few Powermen but they mostly hang out in their cadmium deposit except when they're out getting shitfaced drunk

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Apparently Asus is planning to break Intel's Z97 embargo and ship its motherboards tomorrow

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Is there any news on this from a legitimate tech website? Wccftech is the internet equivalent of little old ladies gossiping at church over stuff they made up/heard 3rd hand.

I looked around, and most of them were sourcing wccftech, so eh.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Lord Bude posted:

Asus seems to have finally figured out that we don't need loving PCI ports any more.

says you :mad:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

What the hell is the slot in the upper left of the Maximus VII Gene, above the ports?

edit: it says "MPCIE" on the board :doh:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

What's the use of a mobile GPU slot? Does it provide video processing under light loads?

:confused:

it's not a mobile GPU slot, it's mini PCI express. you can install all sorts of stuff in there

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

I wish my Phenom II was hooked up so I could see what it would return :v:

22 seconds at my 955's stock 3.2 ghz.

Shaocaholica posted:

How is that possible? The 945 I tested on was 3.45Ghz. Thats not that far off from 3.7 of the 965 to be almost 2x as fast.

You may not have had it in a power mode that keeps it from throttling down?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

9-series motherboards are out! Gonna get myself a Maximus VII Gene as soon as I can afford it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Don't forget Dwarf Fortress, where a main cause of a lost game is FPS death because it runs as fast as it can on a single core.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

HalloKitty posted:

Look at the SSD they recently made for consumers that was previously enterprise. Horrible skulls.

The retarded sticker that shipped (still ships?) with their SSDs. Huge and retarded.

They name an entire platform after skulls for crying out loud (Skulltrail).

Do not knock the Warhammer 40,000 style of marketing.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

necrobobsledder posted:

Think the Intel paper I read like 10+ years ago saying the smallest possible before quantum tunneling is unavoidable for silicon transistors would lead to something rather high like 40 GHz.[/url]

Remember, though, that 10+ years ago they thought they could push NetBurst to 10 gigahertz.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The only thing I don't like about the Maximus VII Gene is that apparently the same PCI Express lines are shared by the mPCIe slot, the M.2 slot, and one of the x1 slots. Why are they all there if we can only use one?!

Edit:

Factory Factory posted:

Intel announced a new server SoC yesterday. It's the Xeon D, which marries Xeon E5 x86 cores with a cache-coherent FPGA on the same package.

Microsoft played with add-in card FPGA acceleration for its Bing servers and found that they got a 10x performance increase for practically no extra power draw on accelerated algorithms. Intel estimates that QPI-connected access to system RAM and the x86 cores' cache will double again that speedup. Probably little coincidence that Microsoft is rolling out FPGA-accelerated Bing en masse next year, and speculation it'll be ported to this chip rather than stay with add-in cards.

Intel's blog post on the subject.

I want one just so I an load an M68000 core onto the FPGA and natively run the classic Mac OS. :getin:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Judging by past trends, what're the odds of a new crop of z97-compatible motherboards in the mid-to-long-term future that'd support a 4970k? I'm looking at buying a Maximus VII Gene to fit the case I've got (since it seems to be the best mATX motherboard that doesn't have a :yarr: KILLER NIC :yarr:), but if something newer and somehow better is going to come out before Broadwell, I can wait.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Factory Factory posted:

Z also allows PCIe lane bifurcation for SLI and CrossFire graphics configurations (or really, for two or three high-performance PCIe devices regardless of use). H boards could be hacked the same way with a PCIe bridge, but that's more expensive than just using a Z in the first place.

That reminds me... will single-GPU setup suffer from performance degradation if I put it in a PCIe 3.0 x8 slot instead of an x16 slot? I'm driving a 1080p monitor with it.

Also, are modern SSDs likely to saturate the connection in a PCIe 2.0 2x slot, or are they not limited by connection?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

SourKraut posted:

While I don't think performance is going to suffer, why not just use the x16 slot?

Someone can confirm this but I believe PCIe 3.0 x8 bandwidth is equal to the bandwidth of PCIe 2.0 x16 (though ultimately it depends on how the lane was electrically wired). And I don't think PCIe 2.0 x16 was very limiting to single card situations. There was some concern that R9 290X cards in Crossfire might be limited by PCIe 3.0 when the slots are operating as x8 but I'm not sure if that bore out (and obviously in this instance this doesn't matter).

I think if I put an SSD in the second long slot on a VII Gene it'd knock the first one down from x16 to x8. I'm trying to figure out how much that'd hurt performance-wise.

edit: and the reason I'd be doing that is complicated and involves m.2, miniPCIe, and a video capture card

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jul 27, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

The Yes Men are absolutely amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEuzVMwsK7o

Pimpmust posted:

Sounds like a Yes Men gig. They did something similar against BP around the Deep Water Horizon catastrophe, except with an actual press conference and everything.

They fooled the BBC by pretending to be from Dow Chemical:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LiWlvBro9eI

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Rime posted:

All this news bodes well for Intel finally being booted off of its high horse. :unsmigghh:

Transmeta will finally have their day in the sun

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Rastor posted:

Not until a number of years from now, by which time silicon progress has ground to an almost halt, sputtering adrift with enormous gaps of time between process changes.

the chipmakers might have to focus their innovation in areas other than shrinking :aaaaa:

Mr Chips posted:

Basic digital logic instructions (AND, OR, NAND, NOR, XOR and so on) don't necessarily require silicon to be executed, nor do x86 instructions (although building an 8086 entirely out of non-silicon components would be a fun project)

you could probably build one out of germanium fairly easily for a laid-back, chilled-out processing experience.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

How is the 5820K in single-thread performance compared to a 4790K?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

don't get a guy fired for being mistaken about whether AMD beats Intel, talk to him and change his mind :rolleyes:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

RISC is really going to blow away the competition when it goes mainstream.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Anyone want a Xeon Phi 31S1P for $195 $150, cooling solution not included?

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 29, 2014

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

r0ck0 posted:

Will this get me 60fps in farcry 3?

With 57 cores, how can it not? I suggest buying ten or twenty.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

Someone buy one and tell me if it's legit or if you get a rock in a box. TIA.

They're on sale everywhere; apparently Intel's about to announce the next generation or something.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

PCjr sidecar posted:

For four cards, Supermicro has 2 80mm fans front & rear.

are four 80mm fans really enough to dissipate 1.08 kilowatts of computing power heat

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

EDIT: I forgot the best part. The abuse of the Phi that I keep talking about? Not running a single application with 100 threads, oh no. I will be running ~100 single-threaded instances of Octave on the Phi.

my god, what have i unleashed

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

No Gravitas posted:

Well, it did not work! Even mad science has failures somehow.

I figured out why too: I fell into the trap of marketing.

My chosen fan does 33+ CFM. I need 18. My fan gives me 1.5 mmH2O of pressure, more than enough according to the datasheet. I'm fine then, yes?

No.

This fan can do 33CFM and 1.5 mmH2O in ideal conditions. However those are two very different circumstances which will never happen at the same time.

See, pushing air through a 30cm radiator block isn't ideal. CFM drops waaaay, waaaay down when it meets opposing pressure. Fans are advertised with CFM which they can get at no pressure loss and at pressure which prevents all air flow. You aren't getting both the CFM and the pressure. The actual performance will have less than ideal CFM at less than ideal pressure. What is advertised is just two points along a curve specific to each fan. You need that curve to know what the hell is going on at your pressure drop.

Xeon pressure and airflow requirements are in the datasheet. Different airflows have different pressure drops too. It really is easier to keep the beast cool with cold air as compared to 45C, but a single Noctua won't do it. For my case I use only half of the fan too, so that does not help.

It does make a difference to have a fan or not, even when the Phi is on idle. 3 minutes to a thermal shutdown vs 12 is a big step forward.

Tomorrow I duct my 75CFM, 2000RPM, 120mm case fan straight into the Phi as a push fan, with the Noctua doing pull. Considering even the Noctua at half-fan is an improvement, 2000RPM ducted right through this should do better. And I'm keeping the Noctua around to help, it won't hurt. I don't need the case fan anyway, it is very airy.

And when it comes to motherboards: Mine supported the Phi without any issues. Supermicro X10SLM-F, I believe.

I'm enjoying this adventure so far. Wonder where it will take me...

Christ, just buy a lovely loud Delta on ebay or something

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

mayodreams posted:

I have yet to find onboard sound that does not add distortion. I currently use an awesome Asus card that cost me like $20 and has a SPDIF out.

The little dedicated card that fits onto my Maximus VII Gene sounds pretty good playing through my Marantz.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

How do I get Quick Sync Video to work on my 4790K? I've made sure the onboard GPU is enabled and I installed the Intel drivers, but nothing that uses QSV seems to work.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Tab8715 posted:

What the hell is that? Atom?

StrongARM!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

evilweasel posted:

More than enough, CPUs don't get that much increase in processing power each generation these days and virtually nothing caps it out.

Except Dwarf Fortress :unsmigghh:

I bought a 4790K and now I get 150 FPS!

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

So how 'bout that Kaby Lake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

VulgarandStupid posted:

I guess capitalism sucks then.

yes