Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I think the biggest appeal of the NUC is that it's a gadget, kind of novel size wise, and is just kind of neato.

It definitely is hard to justify, but for the majority of people who don't need TBs of SSD storage, high gaming performance, and just want a clean desk I certainly see the appeal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Re: Core Chat

The Core and future alternatives strike my fancy because I really do only want one device, and a docking station will perfectly serve my needs. I'm not a huge settings hound, but the Core having USB ports built in means that I could just use one plug and have my laptop on a cooling pad with an external SSD and a controller dongle along with the graphics card so I could plop down on the couch and play some games. I'm certain that I would even be able to get Steam Big Picture mode to launch on plugging my laptop in.

I was really hoping Razer would launch a middle of the road model 14" with an HQ processor and more battery where the GTX 970M is, but I guess I'm not that lucky yet. Someone probably will.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

i5+RX470/480/GTX1060 is shaping up to be the way to go this gen, should handle 1080p games with the 480/1060 largely indefinitely? If you plan on holding onto things for 3+ years, a Freesync monitor with the 480 is a combo that Nvidia can't really counter.

Also "Oh the Intel thread blew up, must be good news about Kaby Lake!" nope, HMS Boromir is using a crappy monitor.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SlayVus posted:

Must work at any of these stores. https://retailedge.intel.com/50/fullterms#Approved

Edit: yes this is the retail edge program. Tired spent like 2 hours already getting the learning activities to qualify for this at 5am now.

Do you also work at the retail spots? Wish I knew someone who did, a bunch of friends are looking to rebuild their systems and this is the kind of deal that is a big difference maker.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I had been hoping there would be some discounts at least somewhere for folks not in the retail space, but I'm not seeing any. Rats.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

intel is particularly lucky nobody wants to bother with ARM yet largely because microsoft has yet to jump ship from x86-64 or move towards ARM operating systems

Windows RT :smuggo:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

fishmech posted:

You mean that thing that's pretty much dead? They haven't even brought it up to Windows 10 level, or introduced a version for 64 bit ARM, it's not been touched since 2015.

That's the joke, you see.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kaby Lake Xeons are announced http://www.anandtech.com/show/11232/intel-launches-xeon-e3-1200-v6-family

Real question: If you can buy a mobo that supports ECC RAM and don't need all the I/O is there really a reason to buy them? Maybe dual socket support on mobos? Relative to Ryzen maybe iGPU on some models?

I also haven't been shopping around for server parts before, so there's that.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Eletriarnation posted:

Those are E3 Xeons - quad core only, based on the same die as desktop and mobile quads and starting in a similar price bracket. They don't have dual socket support and have similar I/O options to desktop quads as a result. I think you'd get them mostly to use in professional workstations that require certified platforms for full support or server applications that are fine with quad-core performance but need ECC. They're not really trying to compete directly with 8-core R7s, I feel like. Isn't the ECC support in Ryzen kind of unofficial anyway?

vvv That's not quite true, check out the desktop dual-cores since Haswell. They gained ECC support after Ivy Bridge when dual-core Xeons were discontinued. But yes, the main raison d'etre for E3 Xeons is ECC. vvv

I see! That and the follow ups were very helpful.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

mewse posted:

This is NOT how you use thermal paste. Or mayo.

Just a single pea sized drop right in the middle for either

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

:laffo: if this causes Surface Book 5 to use small Ryzen+igpu

Vega graphics surface pro 5

I want to believe

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Not everyone wants to buy used/warranties are cool and good also.

New motherboards also support new features like M.2/NVME and USB C.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

PerrineClostermann posted:

Intel doesn't need good press, just good bribes :smug:

:smith:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

I just don't use traditional hard drives any more. I've been 100% certified spinning disk free since 2014.

Not even in a NAS?

If you don't have one, you should. Everyone should have a NAS.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Lord Bude posted:

What do I need a NAS for?

I have a 1TB SSD, and any documents invariably get saved to onedrive or iCloud Drive so that I can access them from my devices.

My music is all handled through Apple Music, and my movies are all either on physical media or handled through iTunes.

Same on SSDs, 1TB in the laptop and 2TB in the desktop. I know I'm kind of an odd use case since I do 3D modeling, so that doesn't play quite as nicely with iCloud/GDrive and all that, but it keeps things immediately and automatically mirrored between my laptop and desktop. When I reorganize my folders and everything, it mirrors the change on both.

Don't even need to be on network, either. I'm in China and it's all still happening smoothly.

If I want to watch a movie, I can leave it on the NAS saving space on my other devices for things like video games and stream it from there, even still in China. No physical media required

It's OS agnostic, so I can access everything on phones, tablets, Chromebooks, macOS, Linux machines, whatever. If I get a new laptop, I install the Synology program and it all syncs back up to the same directories they were in before.

I can add multiple users, use it as an FTP server, and if something catastrophic happens to my laptop while I'm out here, I'll spend an afternoon getting a new device and all my mission critical stuff can be downloaded regardless of the Great Firewall.

Immediate, off-site, redundancy and synchronization is a godsend. Work at the office? Cool. Work from home? Files are already there and I can use my desktop. Need to put something on someone's computer? Just log in through the web interface.

It's seriously the best $200 I have spent on computing hardware in my entire life. I can encrypt everything, preserve photographs, and I don't have to pay a subscription fee.

It's incredibly convenient, grants a lot of peace of mind, and I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

WhyteRyce posted:

:lol: at the thought of having irreplaceable family photos stored only in Google or Amazon's cloud services.

The n-way sync + backup is what really seals it. You don't have to adjust workflow regardless of the platform, which rules.

The whole discussion got me playing with more features on my NAS on the other side of the lovely planet.

Technology, especially NASes, rule. It's only a matter of time before I have a full rack mount.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

isndl posted:

Would you happen to have a link to a guide or outline of your type of setup somewhere? It sounds pretty interesting and I might try to build something similar.

It's pretty simple once you get used to the UI. This is my model:

https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS216+II

Setup is pretty simple, it should guide you through everything to get it up and running.

For n-way sync and backup, Cloud Station Drive is what you want (NOT Cloud Station Backup). You just download the application from the Synology website to your main device and from the package center into the NAS.

Tell it where/what you want synchronized and backed up (you don't have to use the Cloud Station folder it'll try to set up for you, I just used an existing directory on my D: drive and choose a few others on my C: drive, like "Documents" and "Pictures").

It'll spend a few minutes getting everything synchronized on that one device to the NAS.

All you have to do on any subsequent device is download Cloud Station Drive and tell it the destination folders for everything.

You can also Google essentially any question you have and you'll find something in pretty simple terms.

I'm almost looking forward to getting a new laptop next year just so I can run the process. Went fabulously on my desktop.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It seems like your use case is pretty well covered. I was being pretty broad when I said "everyone should have a NAS" but nothing beats it when you're happy with what you've got.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

They weren't just 3.5" drives in a weird bracket? Or mismatched IDE/SATA? A proprietary hard drive sounds so... Bizarre.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

priznat posted:

No they were regular 3.5" disks, just the RAID option meant it was their own weird thing and short of putting it in another readynas compatible enclosure all I could do would be format the hdds for use in something else, the data was pretty much unrecoverable (confirmed by their support staff).

It was more an annoyance than anything else for me but I could imagine some small companies getting turbofucked by that.

Oh I see. Yeah, that's incredibly weak. I'll have to make sure I have everything in RAID 0 when I drop another disk in mine.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Rexxed posted:

Please don't RAID 0 your backup disks.

You are right, I'm an impossible dingus.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

We sure as hell need a merged CPU thread now. Also, I expect common CPU recommendations to be "Buy the Intel & AMD CPU"

Agreed, even the GPU thread is up on this, although there's probably a disproportionate number of common posters in CPUs and GPU threads.

I am very excited to do science with this. Hopefully it'll be cheap enough to be a real console killing chip with the way dGPU prices are still hinky.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

movax posted:

This is what the cynic in me thinks. Lose 30% performance? Buy 30% more servers!

Guess we wait for the next uArch for this to be “fixed”; I need to read up more on this and see how far back it goes, unless it’s “all” Intel CPUs.

You need nearly 50% more servers running at 70% to make up the difference. Everyone wins!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Minorkos posted:

Does this debacle finally make AMD a better CPU to buy

I was going to finally overclock my i5 2500k, but now this happened so I might actually just buy a new CPU if the performance hit is big enough

If Zen+ dropping in the next few months can close the clock speed gap, it's a distinct possibility.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Oh man, I’m going to be upset if my Broadwell mobile desktop starts to suck eggs. I wanted to keep the thing holding together for another year or so, but if I can’t get my modeling work done :smith:

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

If an XPS 15 hits with a Freesync panel and the Intel/Vega SoC, I may lose it.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Paul MaudDib posted:

50-60 Hz sync range, of course

Do you think if we buy together we'll get a bulk discount on monkey paws?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Microsoft kinda Ctrl+Z-ing the buggy Meltdown/Spectre updates:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/29/16944326/microsoft-spectre-processor-bug-emergency-windows-update-reboot-fix

The Verge posted:

Microsoft has been forced to issue a second out-of-band security update this month, to deal with the issues around Intel’s Spectre firmware updates. Intel warned last week that its own security updates have been buggy, causing some systems to spontaneously reboot. Intel then buried a warning in its latest financial results that its buggy firmware updates could lead to “data loss or corruption.”

Lol

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I just got the Fractal Design Meshify C the other day. I wanted the one without the glass, but it was not a deal breaker.

The built in cable management solutions are amazing, and I've never had such a quiet computer.

Fan splitter will be in tomorrow, so it'll be even extra quieter. I love this drat thing.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

redeyes posted:

Serious question. Has one been using one of these new AMD systems for say 6+ months and had it be completely stable and glitch free? Talking Threadripper or Ryzens.

I know the moment is kinda passed, but my R7 1700 has been flawless since July last year.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

wargames posted:

D12 boxing?

These chicks don't even know the shape of my brand.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Optane RAM discs coming back from hibernate is giving me chills.

I wonder if that'll dramatically improve day to day battery life for laptops.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Tokamak posted:

FX-9900k Vishera Lake

There's a joke in here about a molten salt reactor, but I can't quite make it work.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I know we were talking about moving from silicon to other materials a while back. Where do the potential gains come from? Efficiency from lower voltage gate switching, or other things I'm not aware of?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

To the credit of Chromebooks, it's been really cool that Google have created a platform and demand for a platform where everything runs through a browser. Getting Linux app support is really awesome, and maybe it'll familiarize more people with GNU stuff.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

MaxxBot posted:

They're probably saving major hardware fixes for a new uarch that won't come.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

It's likely lasered off rather than a new tapeout.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SourKraut posted:

I'm not sure whether to ask this here or in another thread, but if I have an i7-3770K and a i7-4770K from older systems that I'm looking to sell, how reasonable is it to use eBay for pricing since prices seem sometimes to be all over the place, and is that the best route to go given the horror stories of buyer problems? I have a couple of older desktops that we don't use anymore since they were replaced with newer, so trying to figure out how to go about estimating prices for stuff.

Filter your eBay search so only auctions that actually closed or listings that sold show up, and that should give you a baseline.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

LRADIKAL posted:

Sell it and buy an nvidia shield. Htpc thread convinced me of same and they are right and also it's profitable.

Have both and turn it into a NAS like I'm doing with my old desktop when Threadripper 3000 series comes around :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

God bless ASRock. It's beautiful.