Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

wa27 posted:

Dialing 911?

That's what the "emergency dial" button at the bottom of the lock screen is for, ding-ding.

Also my wallpaper rotates. I didn't choose my wallpaper for you, noirstronaut. Taste is subjective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

noirstronaut posted:

To be fair, if you like having a clean homescreen, you should've chosen a better wallpaper than a logo. And alternatively, you could've just gotten some transparent icons but to each his own.
My home screen is just an off black wallpaper filled with invisible icons. I just have to memorize the location of each app I want to launch.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I like the idea of widgets but they're near universally ugly so I end up not using them. Google Keep is the only one I'm currently using, on my third page.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bring Back Noid posted:

Also my wallpaper rotates. I didn't choose my wallpaper for you, noirstronaut. Taste is subjective.

I guess it is, but so is someone else's opinion of your taste. :)

Anyway, do whatever you want. I just see it as an attempt at minimalism that puts form over function with very little form being utilized.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

leidend posted:

I like the idea of widgets but they're near universally ugly so I end up not using them. Google Keep is the only one I'm currently using, on my third page.

You rang?

Top is Today Calendar, middle is Arcus Weather. The hexagon of minimal icons are all folders with the most prominent app opening on tap, folder view on swipe.

Ignore the dock, I know the icons are no longer matched. For some reason, Nox is corrupted and I can't update it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Bring Back Noid posted:

That's what the "emergency dial" button at the bottom of the lock screen is for, ding-ding.

Except yours is objectively bad. If you want something that just rotates through the logos of your favorite brands, use one of these. That way you can also have a functional phone. With things on it.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

f#a# posted:

You rang?

Top is Today Calendar, middle is Arcus Weather. The hexagon of minimal icons are all folders with the most prominent app opening on tap, folder view on swipe.

Ignore the dock, I know the icons are no longer matched. For some reason, Nox is corrupted and I can't update it.

Doesn't look bad but doesn't add much for me. Non-Canadian weather apps are terrible at getting North Vancouver's micro-climate weather correct. The calendar and Google voice search are negated by Android wear.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

RZA Encryption posted:

Except yours is objectively bad. If you want something that just rotates through the logos of your favorite brands, use one of these. That way you can also have a functional phone. With things on it.

Oh my god get off my jock, the wallpaper changes literally every 12 hours, it's like I'm personally offending you. Are you okay?

I have my phone where I like it, it's perfectly functional. It takes a quarter of a second to open my app drawer. Breathe, man.

quote:

form over function with very little form being utilized.

See above reply about my wallpaper rotating.

Bring Back Noid fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 13, 2014

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bring Back Noid posted:

Oh my god get off my jock, the wallpaper changes literally every 12 hours, it's like I'm personally offending you. Are you okay?

I have my phone where I like it, it's perfectly functional. It takes a quarter of a second to open my app drawer. Breathe, man.

See above reply about my wallpaper rotating.

It wasn't really about the wallpaper itself, it's the idea of creating more hurdles in an attempt to capture a minimalist setup. I was just ribbing you about the wallpaper. I think it's tacky, but it's not my phone. I'm just throwing my thoughts out there about minimalism.

ijii
Mar 17, 2007
I'M APPARENTLY GAY AND MY POSTING SUCKS.

Bring Back Noid posted:

>>Show Off Your Desktop - WAYWT Feedback

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

ijii posted:

>>Show Off Your Desktop - WAYWT Feedback

When the feedback is "I don't like your wallpaper" x20 and you address the actual legitimate queries/criticisms and yet wallpaper chat continues, it's a little grating.

Anyone who uses "ok Google" should just have an app icon on their screen instead, they're wasting their time by saying all of that junk!

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Bring Back Noid posted:

When the feedback is "I don't like your wallpaper" x20 and you address the actual legitimate queries/criticisms and yet wallpaper chat continues, it's a little grating.

Then next time maybe you'll think before posting such an ugly, stupid wallpaper in the screenshots thread.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

f#a# posted:

You rang?

Looks good, there's a lot of information there and its all pretty pleasant looking

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Whizbang posted:

Then next time maybe you'll think before posting such an ugly, stupid wallpaper in the screenshots thread.

Next time there'd better be more triangles and/or anime GOD DAMMIT

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008

Bring Back Noid posted:

Next time there'd better be more triangles and/or anime GOD DAMMIT

You have awful taste.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not a fan of anime (or triangles, really) but I have to admit I think the kawaiiest's homescreens do a pretty good job of combining usefulness with... decorative thematic elements in a way that may not be for me but are pretty good given the subject matter.

I'd link one but her posts in the thread have broken image links.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

leidend posted:

My recommendation would be making your own widgets using things like Minimalistic Text and uccw (ultimate custom clock widget), but that can take time, and if you don't care about widgets then that's cool.

Also there's probably better custom widget things, but I haven't bothered with that side of things since settling on Beautiful Widgets for weather/date-time, Minimalistic Text for a battery bar, and then mostly google widgets on the other screens for music and notes. There's a few others on the furthest screen, but I barely use them. Used to mess with this poo poo constantly too. Also ended up with a black background when I used to have a switcher thing with a gently caress-load of wallpapers.

Oh, haven't shown off the Music screen ever, so here's that:

Google apps all, you can't go wrong.

Edit: I haven't used the music player since I last restarted the phone or cleared the cache or whatever, but usually it has the album art where the headphones are and the track name where it says Google Play Music, for whatever that's worth. Using my computer at work for Play Music, and the Chromecast at home has significantly lowered my usage of my phone as a music player it seems.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Aug 14, 2014

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Reivax posted:

You have awful taste.

I can taste piss.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

I really like my new Nexus 5. I'd like a way to get the icons and clock to line up with the wallpaper better, but I don't want to stop using Action Launcher. Any suggestions? Also, a numeric percentage for the battery icon would be nice.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

I really like my new Nexus 5. I'd like a way to get the icons and clock to line up with the wallpaper better, but I don't want to stop using Action Launcher. Any suggestions? Also, a numeric percentage for the battery icon would be nice.

Obviously Gravity Box will help you with the battery percentage thing but if you'd prefer a non-root solution the inbuilt percentage indicator works but as it's white on white it's only visible when the battery level is below the where the number can be displayed (that said, it's the only time you'll need it). You'll need this app to enable that feature.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Obviously Gravity Box will help you with the battery percentage thing but if you'd prefer a non-root solution the inbuilt percentage indicator works but as it's white on white it's only visible when the battery level is below the where the number can be displayed (that said, it's the only time you'll need it). You'll need this app to enable that feature.

This is actually fixed to be black on white with Android L. It might also be built into L now too.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

This is actually fixed to be black on white with Android L. It might also be built into L now too.
I know that but neither bit of information helps Qylvaran.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

What does the pokeball do?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

I know that but neither bit of information helps Qylvaran.

He has a Nexus 5 and we're maybe a few months out from L. While not an immediate solution, it's still important enough to note if he'd like to wait on that instead.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

RZA Encryption posted:

It should totally be a camera/screen capture button.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

Puzzle and Dragons.

Thanks for the advice, Last in Line. I would like to get root, but the rooting OP looks out of date. Rather than jump over there, can someone throw me a quick link to a good Nexus 5 rooting guide?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

Puzzle and Dragons.

Thanks for the advice, Last in Line. I would like to get root, but the rooting OP looks out of date. Rather than jump over there, can someone throw me a quick link to a good Nexus 5 rooting guide?
A question that should be asked in the rooted thread, but rooting a Nexus has remained the same since time immemorial. All guides should be the same. Be aware that doing so will erase everything and you'll have to start from scratch.

Come on over to the rooted thread if you need help.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Nova launcher and Voxel icons. My attempt at using a :black101: wallpaper. I think the colorful icons do very well against the black and white background. The name stretches across all screens, so it works like a scroll indicator.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Nova launcher and Voxel icons. My attempt at using a :black101: wallpaper. I think the colorful icons do very well against the black and white background. The name stretches across all screens, so it works like a scroll indicator.

It would be neat if the icons all used the same light source for shadows.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LastInLine posted:

I'm not a fan of anime (or triangles, really) but I have to admit I think the kawaiiest's homescreens do a pretty good job of combining usefulness with... decorative thematic elements in a way that may not be for me but are pretty good given the subject matter.

I'd link one but her posts in the thread have broken image links.
Huh, I don't know why one of my home screens seems to have vanished from imgur, but I still have a few older ones lying around.

The little white icons on the last one are popup widgets.

And just for laughs, here's my iPhone 5s. Not much to customize, but I try.

I guess they're all pretty shameful but idgaf

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

the kawaiiest posted:

Huh, I don't know why one of my home screens seems to have vanished from imgur, but I still have a few older ones lying around.

The little white icons on the last one are popup widgets.

I guess they're all pretty shameful but idgaf

How did you get the last Android one to work? I kinda like it :smith:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Skeezy posted:

How did you get the last Android one to work? I kinda like it :smith:
It's just Nova Launcher with a bigger grid (can't remember the size, I think it was 10x7 on my Note 3), the weather widget is HD Widgets with the Colourform theme and the little white icons are just Popup Widgets that look like this when you tap them:

The status bar is an Xposed tweak, I think it's called Tinted Status bar and there's another one to center the clock but I can't remember the name anymore.

I'm 99% sure that the icon theme on that one is Flatro and I used Roundr for the rounded corners.

One of these days I'm gonna buy a used Nexus 5 just to make home screens. I enjoy it so much. I guess it's kind of a weird hobby but I just have so much fun with it.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Definitely going to at least need that wallpaper :allears:

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Skeezy posted:

Definitely going to at least need that wallpaper :allears:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is exactly the one I was thinking of.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly the one I was thinking of.

Yeah that's probably my favorite one. I really wish I could do something like this in iOS without jailbreaking but that's just never gonna happen. When I have an Android phone I miss the Apple ecosystem/camera and when I have an iPhone I miss the customization, not just icons etc but also being able to set default apps and so on. I'm not switching phones again but I do miss my home screen. Oh well.

Anyway if anyone wants that particular theme, it's pretty much the same setup as the other one (Nova, 10x7 grid on the Note 3), Flatro icons, HD Widgets, Power Toggles and Simple RSS Widget for the news. The date is just Minimalistic Text.

I no longer have that wallpaper but I dug up this one since it's the only one that isn't anime/girly/shameful in the whole set:

Y'all can use it as a template to make your own or something if you want.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

the kawaiiest posted:

That's cute as hell, I really like it.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's cute as hell, I really like it.

Thanks! There's not much else I can customize so I spend a lot of time making the wallpaper juuuuuust right.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah that's probably my favorite one. I really wish I could do something like this in iOS without jailbreaking but that's just never gonna happen. When I have an Android phone I miss the Apple ecosystem/camera and when I have an iPhone I miss the customization, not just icons etc but also being able to set default apps and so on. I'm not switching phones again but I do miss my home screen. Oh well.

Anyway if anyone wants that particular theme, it's pretty much the same setup as the other one (Nova, 10x7 grid on the Note 3), Flatro icons, HD Widgets, Power Toggles and Simple RSS Widget for the news. The date is just Minimalistic Text.

I no longer have that wallpaper but I dug up this one since it's the only one that isn't anime/girly/shameful in the whole set:

Y'all can use it as a template to make your own or something if you want.

You're really tempting me to gently caress with things again. Also you might consider getting a used tablet instead of a Nexus 5, you'll have more room to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Brightman posted:

You're really tempting me to gently caress with things again. Also you might consider getting a used tablet instead of a Nexus 5, you'll have more room to work with.
I was thinking about the Nexus 5 because it's going to be like $200 when the 6 comes out. But I suppose a tablet does make sense. I'll look into it. Maybe I'll just get a decent tablet to replace my aging iPad Mini.

Also you should totally go gently caress with things.

• Locked thread