Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
After flashing the SyndicateROM Frozen ROM on my Epic, I don't have the same clock app that I did, which I liked because it included a timer and stopwatch all in one. Does anyone know what the name of that particular clock was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Thanks. I ended up asking in the Frozen ROM thread, too.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have any suggestions for a weather widget like Snowstorm? I like it, but it keeps defaulting to a place ~15 miles away, even though there's a weather station right here on base.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there a way to change the icons in the app drawer, or perhaps the ones that Swipe Pad displays? A sort of ResHacker for Android.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

letsgoflyers81 posted:

Are you talking about the actual app drawer that contains all the apps, or the dock at the bottom of the home screen? LauncherPro lets you change icons for the dock as well as ones on the homescreen itself, but I don't think you can change icons or names in the app drawer.

Yeah, I mean in the actual app drawer (or any program that pulls those icons for its own launching). Rats.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Giblet posted:

You can just grab a new launcher. Check out the free version of adw launcher.

No, that still doesn't do what I want, which is to change the icons of things in the app drawer, not just change how the drawer behaves.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

big mean giraffe posted:

This Widgetlocker is pretty fuckin great, where are the themes for it?

*edit* oh hey it's in the app :v:

Wait, what? Where?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

jfreder posted:

Add Custom Slider by long-pressing on the screen.

Oh, I was thinking of more detailed themeing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

SLOSifl posted:

ADW's app categories are fantastic as well.

What are they? I'm unfamiliar with the term.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BannedNewbie posted:

You can use WidgetLocker to create a custom lockscreen that will let you use widgets, and then if you try to actually unlock it brings up the pattern or pin unlock.

I just tried this, and it brings up the standard lock screen after WidgetLocker but before I type in a PIN. Is this the expected behavior? Epic running SyndicateROM Frozen 1.1.1.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ConfusedUs posted:

That's been a thing with WidgetLocker for a long time.

I haven't used WidgetLocker in a while, but here's what I remember:

There's an option in there, something about disabling or bypassing the 5-second rule. It requires root access, but pretty much eliminates the ghost lock-screen thing.

I've got this enabled, and played with the different options for auto-swiping the standard lock screen, but nothing worked. I guess I'll either be unsecure or contact the WL dev.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The Entire Universe posted:

Unrelated to the question in your post, but since you're running SRF, do you get random instances of your phone not waking (I.e. you hit the power button and instead of your dysfunctional lockscreen it stays dark, often feeling like it overheated and had cooled off a bit) and needing a battery pull to restore functionality?

I've had this problem with SRF, Stock Plus, and only somewhat less often with Simply AOSP. I don't gently caress around with clock steps or voltages but am wondering if anyone else gets this poo poo. I tried following the directions people gave me on XDA but to no avail. Reflashing seems to be only a temporary fix regardless of wiping.

Not that I can recall, no.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Olivil posted:

I'm currently at 3 screens + 3 scrolling Launcher Pro docks, I wish to reduce this to 1-2 screens + 1 dock, any of you have such a setup I could get some inspiration from?

You might want to check out SwipePad. It'll let you have 12 apps or shortcuts available pretty much anywhere, just by swiping in from a corner of the screen. That way you don't have to waste homescreen space on shortcuts.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
You guys should try Swipe Pad. I've got my 12 most-used apps/shortcuts there, and it's always accessible (even from WidgetLocker). Everything else goes into a few folders on my homescreen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

I have all my apps sorted into folders on my homescreen. I have nine folders with the main app drawer button in the middle. Productivity, Games, Media, Social, Utilities, Root, etc. This is Nova Launcher on a GNex.

For the folders I use Folder Organiser.

I'll try to get a screenshot up later.

I really do need to find a nice set of icons for my folders though.

I'd been using Folder Organizer (the free version), but didn't like the way it did some things, and it really didn't like that I changed the DPI. I switched to SiMi yesterday, and except for the icons only being in one row, I like it quite a bit.

I too went in search of icons, and found this handy thread with 700 icon packs. Unfortunately, they're sorted by date submitted, but other than that it seems pretty comprehensive.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Tunga posted:

This is the best because they are actually designed for Android and have the right kinds of icons. All I could find was a billion lovely Vista/OSX icon packs. Thanks!

Well, there are a lot of packs intended for Windows/OSX/Linux, but when I only need icons for 5 folders, it doesn't matter too much.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lilleput posted:

I JUST got my One X (First Android device) And trying out Go Launcher Ex. I don't seem to be able to remove the black menu bar at the bottom of my screen, is there anything im missing?

You mean the bar with the home/task switcher/whatever soft keys? You'll have to grab a ROM that lets you change those around or get rid of them, I'm pretty sure. Whatever solution you find, it's going to require rooting.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

oshuaj posted:

Lock Screen Go Locker, Fresh Green skin

How does Go Locker compare to WidgetLocker?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

oshuaj posted:

I've not used WidgetLocker, but Go Locker is nice, smooth and responsive, with a decent selection of good skins. I like it.

Do you really have to use GO Launcher to be able to use the locker?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

oshuaj posted:

I don't think so; I just temporarily switched my default back to stock twlauncher and Go Locker still seems to be working just fine

Huh. Are you running 4.0 or higher? When I ran GO Locker, it just gave me four screens showing GO Launcher and telling me to use it to unlock the full ability of GO Locker (or something like that).

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

MegaPants posted:

The excellent Nova Launcher is on sale for 25 cents today as part of the 25 billion downloads promotion. I reccomend it over the free version as the gesture support makes using the phone a pleasure.

A question for those of you who have had Nova Prime: what sorts of gestures do you use? I just grabbed it on sale (have been using the free version for 6 months), but I'm not sure what I might want to use gestures on the screen or dock for. I look at and use the notification bar fairly often, so I can't see myself hiding it, and I use folders plus SwipePad to organize apps.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone have a good folder widget recommendation? I've been using SiMi for quite some time because it lets me make the folder widget icons large, but it doesn't do well being restored by Titanium Backup or if apps are uninstalled. I've tried folder organizer as well, but can't make the icons large.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

Stock Ice Cream Sandwich folders are good enough for me. What about them doesn't work for you?

I want to be able to assign my own icon to them and make them bigger than 1x1.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Aatrek posted:

Use Desktop Visualizer + Folder Organizer. That's how I roll. The big icons are folders.

I think this will work, but is there any way to edit an existing tile/widget/whatever?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Aatrek posted:

Well, you could pull the image file out of the APK. That's how I got the Gmail as a blue icon.

I meant editing a desktop visualizer thing after I've made it, because I messed up. I could just remove it and make a new one, sure, but it'd be nice to not have to.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

BurgerQuest posted:

Keeping it pretty clean and simple. Using moovebo live wallpaper and zooper for the text info. Company provided Samsung Galaxy Nexus running 4.1.2 (yakju..)

Thanks for turning me on to moovebo. That is one slick live wallpaper.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

AppleCobbler posted:

For anyone here who's been looking for a good wallpaper switcher:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...GlwaWN0dXJlIl0.

It is free, and has no ads that I've seen.

It allows you to set up multiple pictures (from an album or in singles) that switch every time you scroll to the the next page on your homescreen. It also can be set to show specific pictures for specific screens, and can be set to refresh those at a given interval. Really nice, and the transitions are smooth. Haven't noticed any battery drain or other problems associated with live wallpapers yet.

Sort of related, but now that I don't have to worry about a SAMOLED screen killing my battery by displaying lighter-colored stuff, what's a good wallpaper randomizer? I don't really feel like keeping them on my phone, so the ability to limit the number of new wallpapers downloaded per day would be nice.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

baka kaba posted:

Is this actually a thing? Like is SAMOLED significantly more power-hungry displaying a bunch of light stuff, compared to a screen with a bright backlight cranked up to a similar level? Don't you have to worry about displaying wallpapers with dark areas?

Just seems like SAMOLED should be more efficient just because it only lights the relevant pixels as much as they need it, instead of backlighting everything and then using more power to block things out

I guess I worded it badly, but that's what I meant - I was only going with darker wallpapers with my GNex, but now I don't have to worry about saving battery by doing that because (as I understand it) all colors drain power equally on the Nexus 4's screen.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

squirrelzipper posted:

Another wasted afternoon.

Obviously inspired by Google Now, maybe this one will last a while.

That looks really nice. How is it for usability?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Read about Buzz Launcher on Lifehacker this morning and decided to try it out. It's a little rough around the edges, and I couldn't get several apps that were needed for some homepacks made by Asian authors, but if you want a nicer homescreen without a lot of fiddling, there are a fair amount of premade options to look through, and editing seems fairly straightforward.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How does that parallax wallpaper compare to the GyroSpace 3D wallpaper? I've had that for a while, and think the effect is pretty darn good.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

teagone posted:

[edit] Also, figured I'd share my finalized Chrome OS, gesture oriented setup :haw:
(setup)

What launcher are you using that lets you have that nifty translucent app drawer? Or is that just a folder?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

greatant posted:

I increased icon size to 130% as well as replacing the single battery bar with two battery bars that meet in the middle and turn from a barely visible black to red when battery is low.

How'd you do the battery bar? I've just started messing around with UCCW due to Buzz Launcher, and I'm not too sure what I'm doing.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

greatant posted:

I created a widget in UCCW that would be half my screen width and put in a battery bar. Then I created another widget the same size with a battery bar styled the same way, but I used the angle option on the battery bar to rotate it around 180 degrees. Then you place the widgets on your screen so that the bars are touching and it looks like a single line.

It took a few goes to line them up properly but not too hard.

Hmm. I had made a battery bar that was 1x4, but when I stretched it out (Buzz defaults to 12 wide), the bar didn't stretch nearly as much as the resize box did. Any idea why that might be? Also, I've noticed that while you declare a widget's dimensions when you first create it, when you place it, you can choose any size (X by Y), and all widgets are choosable, despite their declared size. Is this useful information, or just an oddity of UCCW?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

greatant posted:

1x4 = 1 width x 4 height. You picked the wrong dimensions. I'm not really sure how/when the size chosen affects the widget but it only occasionally seems to matter.

Eh, I always get those backwards; the widget was created longer than it is high.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm also trying this battery bar thing, but I can't get get rid of the background color for the battery bar. Changing the "Alpha" makes the whole thing transparent.

I just futzed with the height and vertical position of the background and the meter until they were the same, then made the background transparent.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Avocados posted:

Two questions:
-Is there a way to customize my lock screen using Apex? The icons there aren't changed and I can only use the default themed clock.

-Are there ways to customize the Alarm and Light widgets? I use those pretty often but they never match my themes.

e: Solved one of the three.

I don't believe Apex (or any other launcher replacement) touches the lockscreen. You'd have to use a different ROM or something like WidgetLocker.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm trying to put together this screen from MyColorScreen on my Nexus 4, but I'm having some trouble setting the wallpaper correctly. If I include the whole image, the divider for the "dock" is too close to the soft keys. I can enable CM's expanded desktop, but I'd rather not. Next, I tried to shrink the crop window some, but keep it all the way to the bottom, so I'd have the right amount of space. No dice. How do I get the wallpaper picker to cooperate?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

the kawaiiest posted:

My guess is your screen resolution is different, and you have to edit the wallpaper on Photoshop or something to make it work.

I know that it's the proportion of the resolutions that's the problem, just not sure how to correct it, since I'm not much of an image editor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of Zooper, how do you apply a template that you've downloaded?

• Locked thread