Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
I'm a water bear!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daktar
Aug 19, 2008

I done turned 'er head into a slug an' now she's a-stucked!
Well now, people who were saying Jack was creepy on the last page what do you have to say for yourselves?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Jack's being pretty mature. But then again he's always been a fairly decent fellow when he's not being mind-controlled by an etheric spider.

Still has terrible facial hair. And polo shirts.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That still doesnt explain the shirt.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I still don't trust him, he's a bit to casual to the girl who loves him.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

let's be real here, they're teens. jack not being an utter arse in this situation and clearly respecting both zimmy and jenny is about as good as it gets.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Darth TNT posted:

Yeah, everyone knows the way to show you're a cool and well adjusted dude in high school is tell every acquaintance you run into how much you and your girlfriend love each other and how it's totally serious for real.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Yeah, everyone knows the way to show you're a cool and well adjusted dude in high school is tell every acquaintance you run into how much you and your girlfriend love each other and how it's totally serious for real.

I've known people like this. Had to do a suicide watch when they (inevitably) got dumped.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Annie's reaction to all of that makes me wonder if she really was holding a candle for Jack this whole time and not just plotting really petty revenge.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Jack's a chill dude and Jenny is just the coolest of all dudes.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cavatica posted:

Annie's reaction to all of that makes me wonder if she really was holding a candle for Jack this whole time and not just plotting really petty revenge.

a little bit of column b, a little bit of unconscious column a

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Cavatica posted:

She might just be feeling more generally about being behind in the field of romance.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Also, she asked him for a kiss and he rejected her. Now he's saying this girl asked him out, so what's he to do. Could make a girl feel odd, that.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Said rejection coming not too long after her scheme to get to reject him first.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
technically she didn't ask him for a kiss, she asked him if he wanted a kiss. Hard to be less subtle than that, of course, but it's still less direct then "I want to make kisses with you y/n"

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
I think there's a lot of complicated barely understood emotions combined with social pressure in the jack/annie dynamic.

In terms of social pressure, I don't mean like finn picking them up and saying now kiss but like I think Jack mentions something about how kissing annie seemed like 'what he was supposed to do' but in the end he was relieved that she didn't go through with it and the way that annie during aitf is asked about a potential love and picks jack basically for no other reason than she can't think of anyone else who matches that definition, like he's an obvious choice for first kiss.

Which doesn't mean that she doesn't actually want to kiss him but it does muddy the waters a bit, along with the other things that muddy the waters like the way she seems to both like and dislike him at the same time.

It's not just that the reader doesn't know how much she does or doesn't want to kiss him, I suspect it's that Annie doesn't know the answer to that one either.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

All this mushy romance stuff hurts my little introverted brain. Someone please get back to the magic, technology, and magic technology. That would be great, thanks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Inglonias posted:

All this mushy romance stuff hurts my little introverted brain. Someone please get back to the magic, technology, and magic technology. That would be great, thanks.

Hey, it's /co/'s subconscious. I didn't think those guys had one.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

This boat is going to make a lot of paperclips.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Cavatica posted:

Reading part two of "Annie in the Forest" does hint quite strongly that Annie was (awkwardly) trying to play hard-to-get with Jack and just went that bit too far.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
I'm starting to suspect Tom dressed Jack like a douche specifically so we would all instinctively think the worst of him, only to be surprised by how mature and adult he's been.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Itzena posted:

Reading part two of "Annie in the Forest" does hint quite strongly that Annie was (awkwardly) trying to play hard-to-get with Jack and just went that bit too far.
It even very kindly explains why it didn't really work out

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so is achewater like, super alcohol for the elf people or is it just regular alcohol and annie just got wrecked because she had no idea what her tolerance is

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Tollymain posted:

so is achewater like, super alcohol for the elf people or is it just regular alcohol and annie just got wrecked because she had no idea what her tolerance is

http://www.achewood.com/about.php

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Modern science has confirmed that achewood oil, the active ingredient in achewater, is a powerful depressant which causes irreversible neurological damage."

oof

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Huh I was wondering why she randomly cried afterwards.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

fffff posted:

Jack would probably look a lot better if he'd ditch the dad shirt.

SynthOrange posted:

That still doesnt explain the shirt.

There were at a dance, he dressed up. It's just a dress shirt, it's not even tucked in.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Huh. That's one thing about Tom's writing; it is fantastically well sourced.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
It's not the first time Achewood turns up in the strip.. :v:

the future is WOW
Sep 9, 2005

I QUIT!

Ha, holy poo poo.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

This reminds me...the cut on Annie's face. The other night I was thinking about it, and remembered the comment by one of the guides of the dead asking Annie if she ever wondered what drew her so to Jeanne. She immediately changed the subject. Coyote asked her directly about it, even going so far as whacking her on it, and she seemed incapable of thinking about it. Zimmy tore one off her face at another point, saying "it doesn't belong to her, not mine not mine!". Given she was marked by Jeanne originally, is it possible that this functioning as a bind, but also a plea for help from the part of Jeanne that isn't total rage ghost and who wishes to enter the ether?

Of course I was half asleep when I started wondering all of this but still.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Mentalizer posted:

Ha, holy poo poo.

There's also Mr Jinx from Starslip, and the wrinkle dog puppet with blue overalls from Your Very Own Childhood.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Phy posted:

There's also Mr Jinx from Starslip, and the wrinkle dog puppet with blue overalls from Your Very Own Childhood.
Huh. And a Marshmellow Cat from Girly, too. Makes me wonder if the penguin and eyebrow monkey are cameos as well.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

Don't forget this one:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, it's /co/'s subconscious. I didn't think those guys had one.

Nah, they're all about romance and mushy stuff.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Achewood is referenced in so many good modern webcomics, it's clearly had a huge influence on webcomics iin general. I've meant to check it out (even if only as a sort of historical curio) but I've never been able to get a handle on its archives.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Ditocoaf posted:

Achewood is referenced in so many good modern webcomics, it's clearly had a huge influence on webcomics iin general. I've meant to check it out (even if only as a sort of historical curio) but I've never been able to get a handle on its archives.

My favorite arc is still the Great Outdoor Fight. I even bought the book. This is the comic that the book starts at if you wanna read the arc: http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01112006

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reynard is a hero.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Rey: father of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

SynthOrange posted: