Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, I really hate it when people have a discussion about things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Blackheart posted:

It's also interesting that Tony sees them "banishing her from the program" as a bad thing. The "becoming a god" program? If Tony really thought they were a real threat wouldn't it make more sense to take her outta there and, I dunno, send her to a normal school?

Also the fire elemental stopped being hella mad for a second.

It could be that "The Program" is the project to separate her from her elemental self, and therefore allow her to have kids without afterwards dying a slow and unavoidable death. I can see why that would be a pretty big deal to him.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I really hate it when people have a discussion about things.

It is possible to discuss badly.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I just wanted to say that hobo Tony looks hilarious

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I wonder if he was dealing with physical needs at this point in time?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Benagain posted:

I wonder if he was dealing with physical needs at this point in time?

Are you asking if he pooped in his pants?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Tony Carver: Best dad or bestest dad?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tony's impression of Kat is kind of hazy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I knew it, it wasn't because the court "wouldn't allow" him to not be a huge jerk to her. He was just continuing to gently caress up.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
no see tony is the best dad because

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Tony Carver, Bad Dad, Okay Person.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
And Tom delivers an :iceburn: to the haters in the notes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arthur Crackpot posted:

And Tom delivers an :iceburn: to the haters in the notes.

We've gone past delusional and into hallucinating.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Lurdiak posted:

I knew it, it wasn't because the court "wouldn't allow" him to not be a huge jerk to her. He was just continuing to gently caress up.

He had an extremely british breakdown and asked her daughter to stop wearing her mothers's makeup and to cut her hair short so she looks less like her mother.

Or you know he just fucks up :shrug:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

ElMaligno posted:

He had an extremely british breakdown and asked her daughter to stop wearing her mothers's makeup and to cut her hair short so she looks less like her mother.

Or you know he just fucks up :shrug:

He didn't tell her to cut her hair.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lurdiak posted:

Thanks for the update.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't know how your reading comprehension is so bad, but here we are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Thanks for the update.

Sorry for reacting to the update.

akulanization posted:

I don't know how your reading comprehension is so bad, but here we are.

Posters theorized the reason he was so cold to Annie was because he didn't want to arouse the Court's suspicion because they were pulling all the strings. Now we know this is not the case. What exactly am I getting wrong?

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Aug 28, 2015

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

GodFish posted:

He didn't tell her to cut her hair.

Well poo poo now I remember what happen and I fell dumb as gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
None of this changes my outlook that Anthony is still a lovely, neglectful father who let his pursuit of his dead wife get in the way of caring for his live daughter. All it confirms is that he wasn't actively malicious. Just passively malicious.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You're still doing it Tony. You're doing it right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

JT Jag posted:

None of this changes my outlook that Anthony is still a lovely, neglectful father who let his pursuit of his dead wife get in the way of caring for his live daughter. All it confirms is that he wasn't actively malicious. Just passively malicious.

Yeah, that's what I've been saying. Apparently that makes me a "hater" and bad at reading.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

Posters theorized the reason he was so cold to Annie was because he didn't want to arouse the Court's suspicion because they were pulling all the strings. Now we know this is not the case. What exactly am I getting wrong?

He was so cold to Annie because he made a deal in what he genuinely believes to be her best interest that required that he do all the things he did to her (except the makeup probably), and he did it without emotion because he was on the verge of a meltdown; a meltdown he is having right now in front of his oldest friend. I don't get how this vindicates your position or invalidates theirs, he acted the way he did because the court threatened her. He had to take away Renard, get her to step down as the forrest medium, and make her repeat the previous grade. That was the deal to keep her safe and he had to hold up his end or she would suffer the consequences for his failure, again. Or at least I'm pretty sure that's how he sees it.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

This arch is about a man who feels he failed as a husband, which fed into him failing as a father. Failure that is found in lack of communication. I feel the pain from both sides, and I am a fan of Tony, but man. He has hosed up, real bad.

It reminds me of the day that my father came home from being out of town. My dad went out of town a lot. He is a pharmacist with his doctorates and was hired by multiple pharma groups and hospitals to teach surgeons and hospital staff how to use drugs. It was a Friday and he came home, I can still smell the gumbo that my mom had on the stove, as I played in the back of our home under the orange tree because she left the windows to the kitchen open. He had me and my two younger siblings join him and my mom at the table.

Ill never forget the first time I saw a grown man, much less my father, cry.

He hosed up, he hosed up big. He cheated on my mom, and the way it worked out, mom would have never known. But we didn't know that in this instance, nor is it redeeming that he told us of his own free will.

They are still together today, after years of therapy and some cancer and a few other terrible things.

Tony is a god drat idiot, but he is not a maligned evil monster. Nobody wants to be a bad person. Sometimes we just are.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been saying. Apparently that makes me a "hater" and bad at reading.

Many or most posters I am aware of believe that Anthony does harm in spite of his best intentions.

What they don't do is pursue proving this to everyone in the thread with a fervor that borders on deeply concerning for pages and pages and pages and pages.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Captain Oblivious posted:

Many or most posters I am aware of believe that Anthony does harm in spite of his best intentions.

What they don't do is pursue proving this to everyone in the thread with a fervor that borders on deeply concerning for pages and pages and pages and pages.

Are we reading the same thread?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by Tony.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Well SPECIFICALLY people were theorizing the reason he didn't tell her the court was pulling the strings was because he thought they'd react badly to her knowing they were pulling the strings. Everything else he did was incidental to this PARTICULAR Anthony Carver Debate. And strictly speaking that still isn't out of the picture.

Arthur Crackpot
Sep 4, 2011

Proceed in a str8 line shaped like a perpetually shifting torus knot until you feel a sense of despair transcending all mortal comprehension, then hang a right at the next octopus, she'll be in the first room on the left
Gee it's almost people do bad things for good reasons sometimes

or even have complex motives, desires and flaws

or EVEN - dare we to dream of such - that people who do bad things can still be sympathized with

But naw you're right gently caress Tony forever because he made some mistakes like literally every other human being on the planet.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

JT Jag posted:

Basically where I am. He has sympathetic motivations but he still hosed up horribly and hurt his daughter a lot. And he realizes this.

Arthur Crackpot posted:

or EVEN - dare we to dream of such - that people who do bad things can still be sympathized with

But naw you're right gently caress Tony forever because he made some mistakes like literally every other human being on the planet.

You can sympathize with someone and still think they're a fuckup, a bad person, or even an overall negative influence on everyone around them. That Tony is crying over how he humiliated and hurt his daughter doesn't erase the fact that he, you know, humiliated and hurt his daughter, to the point that she had a breakdown or two of her own.

Basically, he's a tragic figure and I feel bad for him, but he's still a fuckup and the "Tony did nothing wrong" posts got old more than ten pages ago.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Aug 28, 2015

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arthur Crackpot posted:

You seem really upset that I have a different opinion than you about a character that has sympathetic and damning traits.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Secret Spoon posted:

This arch is about a man who feels he failed as a husband, which fed into him failing as a father. Failure that is found in lack of communication. I feel the pain from both sides, and I am a fan of Tony, but man. He has hosed up, real bad.

I'm pretty sure that he viewed himself as a failure as both a husband and a father when Surma died. Like he straight up says he doesn't understand how Annie would feel anything but hate for him because he seems to believe that he as good as killed her mother himself. Tony's obviously not a good parent, but when people say things like this:

JT Jag posted:

It shows either a complete misreading of the comic or a massive lack of empathy. Because Tony has never been malicious, he's just failed his responsibilities.

Edit: You guys know that malice implies intent to do harm right? It's not a word that applies to Tony and the phrase "passively malicious" makes no sense in this context.

akulanization fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 28, 2015

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

akulanization posted:

I'm pretty sure that he viewed himself as a failure as both a husband and a father when Surma died. Like he straight up says he doesn't understand how Annie would feel anything but hate for him because he seems to believe that he as good as killed her mother himself. Tony's obviously not a good parent, but when people say things like this:

It shows either a complete misreading of the comic or a massive lack of empathy. Because Tony has never been malicious, he's just failed his responsibilities.

Malicious isn't really the word I'd have chosen, but humiliating his daughter in front of an entire class of her peers is pretty malicious.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

Oh my god shut the gently caress up.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

akulanization posted:

Edit: You guys know that malice implies intent to do harm right? It's not a word that applies to Tony and the phrase "passively malicious" makes no sense in this context.

You understand full well what people mean and are just being a pedantic jackass now. I mean, really, improper word choice aside it's pretty clear what that post is actually saying, and given your own posts I'm pretty sure you know what it means too.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

And we dress in black.

akulanization posted:

SHISHKABOB posted:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

SHISHKABOB posted:

That's never going to happen.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

akulanization posted:

I'm pretty sure that he viewed himself as a failure as both a husband and a father when Surma died. Like he straight up says he doesn't understand how Annie would feel anything but hate for him because he seems to believe that he as good as killed her mother himself.

Agreed, in fact, if I posted any more than this we would be shouldering each-other to see who agrees the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

That's never going to happen.