Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ImpactVector posted:

Except now they have both Tony and Annie under their thumb, mostly willingly. Also I'm guessing it's pretty tough to discipline a fire elemental. They're both extremely powerful (even by supernatural being standards, if the reaction of the nasties in the forest is any indicator) and just plain willful by nature.

Plus they may not see it as worth the effort. It seems like that whole rebirth cycle would tend to make them short lived. Not a terribly worthwhile investment to pour lots of resources into compared to someone like Kat who will likely live 80+ years and contribute substantially to the court's tech department the whole time.

Surma was an extremely useful asset that got them one of the forest gods to poke and prod, they'd like to have an inside man on the forest but also manifestly (and rightly) don't trust magical creatures. I kinda get the impression that just cause they're secretive and amoral and supernaturally powerful doesn't mean they're great schemers anyway.

I mean, again, look at the Court members we have on hand. They're almost certainly not a radically different bunch of guys than no-face looming over the hospital bed there. All her classmates are gonna grow up to be the next generation of Court staff, just like all the adults in the strip were from a previous class that got up to the same magical hijinks. Not exactly the Illuminati.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=724

Huh. Most of their tracking is done through food.
Now I'm mildly suspicious of the wine bottle. I'm being paranoid.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Anthony haters just move their goalposts so far away, I'd need to cut my hand off and make it into an antenna to reach them. But please, do know that I understand and respect you all the same, and hope you see the error of your ways.

Anyway, a question: Speaking of the headmaster we were talking about earlier, has it ever been stated if he's the overall director of the court institution as a whole, or just the school part of it?

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Conot posted:

The Court's motivation is a little opaque here. Either they wanted to humiliate Annie/make a example of her, in which case, why not go ahead as planned and let her get her rear end expelled or they want to rein her in and make her a functional member of the Court, in which case... why not do it themselves? They've been treating Annie with the kid's gloves, sure, but its a bit much to go from kid's gloves to "Haha expelled forever gently caress you".

Either way, Tony's presence seems superfluous, unless were to believe that the Court are so bad at discipline they only know the trodden upon or nuclear options.

Unless it's not really about either one of them only. Tony was working on sensitive poo poo for the Court and went AWOL to try to contact his dead wife. Annie's been a loose cannon. They could kick out Annie, or fix her problems themselves... Or they could use her as leverage to force Tony back into work, or to at least get him back into their grasps.

I honestly think Tony is the one they're more interested in manipulating here, Annie is a convenient hammer for that particular nail. They used Annie to get Tony back, and Tony to rein Annie in. Neat and tidy.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, I think "the Court let Annie's cheating slide so they could use it as leverage against Anthony, who is the one they really want" makes the most sense here.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's also interesting that Tony sees them "banishing her from the program" as a bad thing. The "becoming a god" program? If Tony really thought they were a real threat wouldn't it make more sense to take her outta there and, I dunno, send her to a normal school?

Also the fire elemental stopped being hella mad for a second.

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

We don't deserve a character as great as Anthony Carver.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I hear Tony can cure cancer with a wave of his.... oh :(

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blackheart posted:

It's also interesting that Tony sees them "banishing her from the program" as a bad thing. The "becoming a god" program? If Tony really thought they were a real threat wouldn't it make more sense to take her outta there and, I dunno, send her to a normal school?

Also the fire elemental stopped being hella mad for a second.

again, what other life do you think spending your childhood at mad science Hogwarts leaves you cut out for

it's not just a fucken school it's this whole cradle-to-grave insular society with its own culture and rules and sciences that she's being raised in, cause her parents were raised in, probably their parents were, and none of them have ever been out of it for even a minute, even when they thought they were. Being banished from the court doesn't mean your credits transfer over and you pick up at the public school down the road, for any of them it'd mean you're left with nothing and ditched in a world where like fire magic and the ability to talk with ghosts doesn't seem particularly relevant. maybe you get in contact with some skull demons cause they're the only kinda guys left who you can relate to now, maybe they talk you into hacking off your hand and leave you for dead

we get the same thing in the real world with cults ditching their unwanted kids who are totally unequipped to survive without the cult support system, the only difference being the cults still reside in a world with normal physics and are still vaguely in contact with society and aren't beefing with actual demons who will actually gently caress you up if they catch you alone

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 26, 2015

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Rei_ posted:

Also 'they were going to wait until her graduation and cast her out'

that's what schools do

i doubt she wanted to work there
The gist i got was she walks up for her diploma and then they expel her instead with a "lol, gently caress you"

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

They receive a regular education along with special magic science stuff, and take regular vacation trips to the rest of the world managing to function normally in outside society. Even Tony worked at a (supposedly non-court related) hospital, even if he lived in it most of the time (due to his wife and daughter's special situation) so I dunno where this THEY CAN'T LIVE OUTSIDE! comes from.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
She's a kid.

She has no-one. She's also crazy magic and may die because of it. You can't really deal with that in the outside world.

e: More importantly daddy is a little suicidal and really needs a bit of help right now. Of course everyone he knows lives.....at the Court.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The court could also be implying other stuff to Tony, like yeah we are "removing" her once she graduates since it will be easier to get rid of her.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

We don't deserve a character as great as Anthony Carver.

this but unironically

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Well I assumed she wouldn't throw her out alone, just thrust her back into his care. If they really meant to just kick her out on her own yeah then it'd be way more brutal.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be an evil thing to do, just that I don't think court education leaves you unable to exist in the outside world.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I was beginning to think that people in the court don't die, they get frozen down when their old or their souls get stored like we've seen before. But that doesn't jive with the ROTD recordings from the court founders, unless the storing people came later. There's a little moment between Kat's parents when they send her off with the key to her robot lab where they talk about "their time" is over. If I'm right, it's likely that when one generation grows up and takes over as teachers in the Court, the old generation steps down. Have we actually seen any elderly people around the court?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Blackheart posted:

Well I assumed she wouldn't throw her out alone, just thrust her back into his care. If they really meant to just kick her out on her own yeah then it'd be way more brutal.

I'm not saying it wouldn't be an evil thing to do, just that I don't think court education leaves you unable to exist in the outside world.

o word the dad who was ready to die until they intervened and wanted nothing to do with her, yeah, he'd still be in the picture then

Demiurge4 posted:

I was beginning to think that people in the court don't die, they get frozen down when their old or their souls get stored like we've seen before. But that doesn't jive with the ROTD recordings from the court founders, unless the storing people came later. There's a little moment between Kat's parents when they send her off with the key to her robot lab where they talk about "their time" is over. If I'm right, it's likely that when one generation grows up and takes over as teachers in the Court, the old generation steps down. Have we actually seen any elderly people around the court?

Headmaster guy looked pretty old

IDK where they stow like the alzheimers patients, no, but i figured the 'becoming god' stuff was pretty much a fair description of the stuff we've already seen - they're experimenting on magic to try to command it, and gain godly powers in the same way that Coyote is godly without being beholden to his limitations. looking at the poo poo that all the adults (and some of the kids now) do all the time as a matter of course, they've already managed to become at least demigods. If it's all really part of some crazy noosphere nonsense and reality is a product of human thought or whatever then they could ultimately become more in the line of y'know omniscient omnipotent creator God too

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 26, 2015

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010

Demiurge4 posted:

For old people, there was the former Dragon Slayer: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=541

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the people arguing in favor of anthony aren't saying he's a like a flawless perfect dad, they're saying that he's a flawed human being who nonetheless tried to do the right thing

this isn't some black n white poo poo where you can just write him off as a terrible person, and also you can't call him nothing but good either(although no one's doing that really).

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I assumed the really old people are in other sections of the court maybe working on something or doing old people stuff. I don't remember how old the gardener couple were, but she was also a dryad or something so she doesn't really count. It reminds me that a long while back I asked if we had ever seen someone even mentioning having grandparents in the comic.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Conot posted:

The Court's motivation is a little opaque here. Either they wanted to humiliate Annie/make a example of her, in which case, why not go ahead as planned and let her get her rear end expelled or they want to rein her in and make her a functional member of the Court, in which case... why not do it themselves? They've been treating Annie with the kid's gloves, sure, but its a bit much to go from kid's gloves to "Haha expelled forever gently caress you".

I think they sort let her do her thing because of Anthony actually. Kicking her shortly before or after graduation is more like that they couldnt use her as a bargaining chip against him anymore.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I think they sort let her do her thing because of Anthony actually. Kicking her shortly before or after graduation is more like that they couldnt use her as a bargaining chip against him anymore.

It's both. They used Anthony to get Anthony to come back, and they used Anthony to rein in Annie. This is pretty much the only time that Annie's just buckled down and is following orders (even though she still works behind the order-giver if she thinks it's important enough and gets guilt-tripped like with Renard).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

We barely ever see teachers or staff, anyway. It's entirely possible there's elderlies milling about, just in parts of the story we're not shown.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

BobTheJanitor posted:

I wonder if the implication here is that the court came and picked him up off the rocks and put him in that room/tent that he's in. Or did he actually manage to drag himself somewhere on his own, and then they found him? Kind of a big jump from the last panel of the previous page, where he's lying on the rocks half bled-out and waiting to die, and then this page where he's suddenly bandaged and on a cot.

Going by the beard growth he had been lying there for a while after the animals in the cave left him/Zimmypow

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He was slowly transforming into Alan Moore.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Lurdiak posted:

We barely ever see teachers or staff, anyway. It's entirely possible there's elderlies milling about, just in parts of the story we're not shown.

Isn't Professor Mayhem or whatver his name is an old guy? As well as the park keepers?

I don't think there's any weird old-people stuff going on.

IronicDongz posted:

the people arguing in favor of anthony aren't saying he's a like a flawless perfect dad, they're saying that he's a flawed human being who nonetheless tried to do the right thing
this isn't some black n white poo poo where you can just write him off as a terrible person, and also you can't call him nothing but good either(although no one's doing that really).
He is a terrible person, but he's terrible in a very sympathetic way for understandable reasons with a good chance to redeem himself by overcoming his terribleness, the first step being to stop being so convinced he's a terrible person (even though he is correct).

But seriously, he's been reckless, irresponsible, and incompetent, he has some hosed up priorities putting his dead wife above his living daughter, and from what we can tell it was only with luck that he avoided the most terrible consequences for what he did (and he clearly didn't avoid all of them).

What he's not is actively malicious, and I never thought he would be. He's a terrible person, but is not an evil person. He doesn't knowingly or intentionally set out to try and ruin anyone's life for some nefarious purpose... unlike Surma, who is obviously going to be this comic's real villain.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

GlyphGryph posted:

this comic's real villain.

it's actually this guy:

I mean just look at him.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

GlyphGryph posted:

He is a terrible person, but he's terrible in a very sympathetic way for understandable reasons with a good chance to redeem himself by overcoming his terribleness, the first step being to stop being so convinced he's a terrible person (even though he is correct).

But seriously, he's been reckless, irresponsible, and incompetent, he has some hosed up priorities putting his dead wife above his living daughter, and from what we can tell it was only with luck that he avoided the most terrible consequences for what he did (and he clearly didn't avoid all of them).

What he's not is actively malicious, and I never thought he would be. He's a terrible person, but is not an evil person. He doesn't knowingly or intentionally set out to try and ruin anyone's life for some nefarious purpose... unlike Surma, who is obviously going to be this comic's real villain.
I too, consider depressive, guilt-ridden people to be terrible people.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as a depressive guilt-ridden person i especially think depressive guilt-ridden people are terrible

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Iceclaw posted:

Depressive, guilt-ridden aren't exempt from being assholes or making bad decisions. If anything they're more prone to it due to self-deprecation and lack of awareness.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

IronicDongz posted:

You may be surprised to learn that this is also what the Anthony-haters are saying

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Conot posted:

Depressive, guilt-ridden aren't exempt from being assholes or making bad decisions. If anything they're more prone to it due to self-deprecation and lack of awareness.

I agree entirely. This is however a far cry from being "terrible", wouldn't you think? No one is denying Anthony made a few bad calls but it's pretty funny to see posters that were accusing him of being too much of an emotionless robot before now suggesting he should be more of an emotionless robot.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Oh hey a hundred posts overnight. Bet its a whole lot of great posts.

:yikes:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Iceclaw posted:

It can certainly be a contributing factor, and this particular person already had some pretty bad problem resolution skills and coping methods to begin with.

It's nice to know you apparently believe that everyone who experiences guilt and depression is definitely gonna completely cut all ties with their family and friends and neglect all their responsibilities for years, putting themselves and their loved ones in danger and that doing so is a-ok.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Anthony Carver ruined this thread. That makes him a pretty terrible person in my books.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Colonel Cool posted:

Anthony Carver ruined this thread. That makes him a pretty terrible person in my books.

Not just THIS thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

This thread has always been terrible.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Wonder if Tom's gonna re-draw or mirror the recent comic - Tony's good eye is the hosed up one today.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Obviously we all knew that Tom would do something that would make us like Anthony as soon as he came back into the comic like he did. If you go back to the pages of this topic when he was introduced, you'll see people saying "now wait for Tom to make us love him". We all knew this was coming eventually.

However, everyone's issue with Anthony still is how he treated his daughter. Regardless of how he coped (or didn't) with his wife's death, he was still negligent. Maybe even criminally so. No one doubted that he would likely have grief over the death of his wife. But when you become a father, you have to raise your child right. That's like, Parenting 101. And he was clearly doing a horrible job at that. Besides being physically absent, he was also emotionally distant upon return. Even if he was told to say those things to her and to tell her to do certain things, he still failed to emote at all. Most people would likely uncontrollably cry or react in some way. Even Annie did that when she saw him for the first time, and still struggles even now days after.

What we are learning about what he did while he was grieving all can see reasonable in the context of this comic, and how normal people deal with grief. People that don't like Tony dislike his character because of how he treated and continues to treat Annie.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

SynthOrange posted:

This thread has always been terrible.

Not just THIS thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

"Maybe the terribleness was within us all along"- The true lesson of Gunnerkrigg Court.