Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Line Feed posted:

drat girl loves her some ceiling corners. Is that a thing with fire elementals like do they have an affinity for ceiling corners because she's up there like, all the time.

Heat rises.

:rimshot:

...well, maybe it's just a reflection of the situation. Annie doesn't want to deal with her feelings about her father, so she separates the emotional part of herself (the fire elemental) and at the same time, the emotional part of herself doesn't want to deal with any of the logic that might explain away why Tony did what he did, so it literally flies off to the corner to sulk and stick its fingers in its ears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret
Oh, for a muse of fire!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

And nothing changed and no lessons were learned by anyone.

The End!

Glibness aside, I like how little the revelations about Tony changed the situation. Annie is still repressed and in denial, Fire Annie is still bloody furious. Sometimes, having all the answers doesn't count for much. Good way to wrap up the chapter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's possible Annie would've been able to learn from this experience more if she wasn't split in half. Kind of a Shakespearean sort of timing there.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Bonus page: Tea giving a PSA on the dangers of substance abuse?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Flammie seems more angry at Meat Annie than Tony now.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Blackheart posted:

Progress!

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Boy I am really tired of Annie by now. I hope the next chapter focuses on something completely different.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Blackheart posted:

She's internalized her hatred!

Brings a tear to my eye to see her taking after her father.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I would be depressed if I was Tony because all my friends have much cooler daughters

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

But then, there were literally no one hotter than Surma and to that, what do we say?

It was worth it.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Colonel Cool posted:

Boy I am really tired of Annie by now. I hope the next chapter focuses on something completely different.

It'd be a pretty good time for it. We now have a complete idea of how all this is affecting Annie and Tony; we should see how it affects some of the other characters. Especially Kat.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

A very Parley episode.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Tenebrais posted:

It'd be a pretty good time for it. We now have a complete idea of how all this is affecting Annie and Tony; we should see how it affects some of the other characters. Especially Kat.

Time for Cityface

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Mazerunner posted:

Time for Smittyface

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Colonel Cool posted:

How about a fun chapter where Paz, Kat, Parley and Smitty all get together to solve a mystery, while Annie and Tony mope around, failing to reconcile with each other.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Pistol_Pete posted:

How about a fun chapter where Paz, Kat, Parley and Smitty all get together to solve a mystery, while Annie and Tony mope around, failing to reconcile with each other.

just, in the distance in the background. Constantly almost getting there

Is he going to apologize? oops, he's insulted her breath instead

Is she going for a hug? No, she just has gas

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My other theory other than Smitty finding the seed is that Boxbot is a literal box that contains the seed. Fingers crossed

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

Colonel Cool posted:

Two or three more light-hearted chapters focusing on Kat/Smitty/etc. then one of them ends with Donny rushing into class to grab Kat because Annie's collapsed again. Turns out that removing the fire spirit with a knife is fundamentally the same as passing it on to a kid.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I want to see a chapter where Fire Annie escapes and goes on adventures with her friends while Meat Annie stays home and does homework.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The next chapter will star Randy.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

alcharagia posted:

The next chapter will star Randy.
This whole situation is quite a Disaster after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Anon posted:

Wow. This comic. I think it is one of the best work of fiction I have read in my life. The whole of Gunnerkrigg Court. Thank you.

It's nice to see some comments on the comic that aren't just angry arguments. :unsmith:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 1, 2016

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the chapter was kind of weak, because GC's strength is character interaction and the monologue distracted from that.

I dunno. You can see a lot of interaction from the lack of interaction. Tony is drunkenly venting and Donny is saying the bare minimum to get a story out of him. Donny shows up with booze, lets Tony talk, doesn't cut him off, and then leaves him to sleep in his chair in just enough of a position where he probably won't choke on his own vomit. Donny hasn't overtly expressed much anger, but he hasn't been exactly friendly either.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Plus we got to see Zimmy interact with Tony's face.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the chapter was kind of weak, because GC's strength is character interaction and the monologue distracted from that.

Agreed. By the end of the monologue it was starting to get a little exposition dump-y.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Why is Tom dragging Jones' history out, we get it, she's old, this is boring uuuuugh

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Go re-read this chapter and actually look at the characters in the background instead of letting your eyes glaze over because oh god no there's words.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Dec 1, 2016

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think the chapter is good and I think in a normal read through instead of release-by-release it would flow even better. I guess there is an argument that a webcomic should pace itself with its schedule in mind.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

EmmyOk posted:

I think the chapter is good and I think in a normal read through instead of release-by-release it would flow even better. I guess there is an argument that a webcomic should pace itself with its schedule in mind.

I don't think you'll find a long-form webcomic that does this better than Gunnerkrigg. Every strip feels like it has its own "punch" to it, despite being part of a larger chapter. If it occasionally fails (which I don't think it has in this case) to consistently keep you engaged with every single page, I think it can be forgiven.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

I don't think you'll find a long-form webcomic that does this better than Gunnerkrigg. Every strip feels like it has its own "punch" to it, despite being part of a larger chapter. If it occasionally fails (which I don't think it has in this case) to consistently keep you engaged with every single page, I think it can be forgiven.

:agreed:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

JT Jag posted:

Why is Tom dragging Jones' history out, we get it, she's old, this is boring uuuuugh

Thing is, there were people literally saying this during that chapter.

GC often faces the issue that it's a print comic being put up page by page on the internet - so chapters like this one and The Stone which are slower-paced can feel a little boring when you're waiting for the next page which isn't for three days and it's going to be another shot of Jones walking across some lava or Tony getting drunk. But they work perfectly well when you read them back.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

thespaceinvader posted:

Thing is, there were people literally saying this during that chapter.
That was the point

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Poor Bar-bot.

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

Gunnerkrigg Court: Best Comic About Girls Getting Their Hair Cut

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy