Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

There any plans for a Forest Pin?

I mean, I prefer the court symbol but, y'know.

The only thing I want more than a Court pin is a Forest pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Annie looks like Miss Marple.

Crotchety old women and rebellious young teenagers have more in common than they'd the teenagers would like to admit. Often right down to the odd fashion sense. :)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Gally posted:

Boxbot is better than you are.

Whoa now, let's not go that far.

But City Face is the best, so read it!

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

dyzzy posted:

...huh. No chapter end symbol?

Still time for one last scare! :ohdear:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Another angle that I don't think has been really touched on: How is the Court itself going to react when the Great Leap Forward begins? The Court strikes me as reactionary and interested in control above all else, and I for one fully expect them to take steps that incite robo-rage.

I'm now realizing that the most hilarious comic is going to be when the Court fully realizes that the entirety of its robot infrastructure is now loyal to the point of religious devotion to a 14-year old engineer/angel.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Tom should probably say something on not-Twitter about this where it's easier to say your entire thoughts on the situation

Yeah I'd rather never hear anything about this "situation" ever again.

Here's some fan art instead! :3:

EDIT: And here's the source. See, tumblr can do good!

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 3, 2014

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

"I am here to feel the might of their bombs" What the gently caress Jones :psyduck:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

karmicknight posted:

She's comparing them, like everything, to the meteor strike she measured as the most awesome explosion to occur on Earth. She does this as calibration from time to time.

"Mmmm. Meh."

Oneiros posted:

I imagine that, when you have an immortal and non-damagable body, standing under a German 1000kg HE bomb would be quite the experience.

It certainly would, but I love how the way she goes about it reveals just how alien Jones really is. Forget even pretending to blend in with humanity.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Forget LOST, anyone who doesn't support the transformation of this comic into Gilligan'sGunnerkrigg's Island is anti-fun. :colbert:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I guess it's just art-style growing pains?

More like literal growing pains. Some guys really do spontaneously age by five years or so some time around adolescence, and then stay there for the next ten years.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

I love it when the comic goes back to its gothic horror roots. Usually by way of a left onto Lovecraft Avenue, and then straight on to Clive Barker Interstate Highway. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

here's the page with the better view of robo-Kat-god-demon-angel-thing from back in Divine: http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1049 (standard warning, GC link, beware of archive binging)

Ha ha. Wish I could have been there when that comic was posted for the first time. :allears:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

So the cutaway to the headmaster stroking a white cat is coming on Friday, correct?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Roger Explosion posted:

Vriska did it.

:getin:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Blackheart posted:

She cheated, and we did nothing.

THIS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

ANTHONY CARVER

versus

THE ROBOT GODDESS DEATH CULT

STEP RIGHT UP 'N GIT YER TICKETS FOLKS

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

youcallthatatwist posted:

There's literally no way to rationalize this behavior as not awful. He's an unintentionally abusive parent who expresses his love in the worst way possible.

Just echoing this. If I ever encountered this situation in real life, I wouldn't hesitate to call him abusive. And in real life, it's scientifically acknowledged that retaining kids does them a world of hurt. The normal solution is for them to advance with their peers with catch-up lessons.

Funnily enough, that's what Anthony's offering. It's just that he's stripping away her social environment, her housing, all her extracurriculars, and replacing the subjects she loves with extra lessons in everything else.

None of this is new to this thread of course, and it's clear that this is just a new obstacle in Annie's narrative and Tom is playing with our nerves like crazy, but I gotta vent.

The paper I linked to above is actually fun stuff, by the way.

quote:

The following are evidence-based alternatives to grade retention and social promotion that better address academic and behavior problems:
• Parental involvement in children’s schools and education through frequent contact with teachers, supervision of homework, and ongoing communication about school activities.

Whoops. That would have been nice for the past six years, huh.

I'm mentally picturing Anthony being given the paper and then not reading it/getting it entirely wrong. "ONLY I KNOW WHAT'S RIGHT FOR MY CHILD"

RandomPauI posted:

The vibe I'm getting from Anthony is that he's going to put Annie through the GC equivalent of homeschooling. Does anyone else get that feeling?

Oh right, that's what this kind of attitude leads to...homeschoolers... :pseudo:

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 4, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Darth TNT posted:

I don't think giving away Reynard is a good idea.

We're pretty sure it'll free him. It's the best idea. :getin:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Nuebot posted:

It's almost like cheating on all your work for a year or two and flagrantly disregarding any authority can have consequences :v: pretty much any non-fantasy school probably would have booted her out of the door just for that already.

Court Headmaster spotted.

Fangz posted:

Tom has clarified that transferring ownership of Rey would not free him but instead put him under Anthony's control.

Of course, it is not out of the realm of possibility that getting his hands on Rey is actually Anthony's whole point for returning, and that he will now be leaving again, taking Renard with him.

This sounds sufficiently narcissistic to actually happen if no one stops him.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Seeing Kat start to freak out as this all sinks in is actually even more heartbreaking than watching Annie get raked over the coals.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Itzena posted:

She's the physical body of the etheric computer Anya & Donald built (or 'built'). That's why she can't see the ether - her own presence blinds her. This also explains the techomantic angel her etheric form takes. :tinfoil:

KatPuter makes too much sense. Her parents "built" her together! :haw:

(Although it still doesn't help me understand exactly what Kat is, since in all other aspects she's a human girl? Fun theory regardless.)

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:wtf:

OK, you've sufficiently impressed me with your ability to emotional torture your audience, Tom, you can stop now, please?

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

"I've been bad Kat, very bad. Father is taking me away to a new school where they have proper discipline and where he can oversee my education. I'm leaving this evening. Goodbye Kat, goodbye... forever."

THE END.

Gunnerkrigg Court: A Doll's House in Reverse: A Play in 51 Chapters by Tom Henrik Ibsen.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

himajinga posted:

Man, those scenes w/ Ysengrin make this chapter seem even sadder, I'm impressed with Tom but will be very happy to see Annie get her grove back whenever that happens.

Just don't do what I did and read the chapter after that. :negative:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Oh gently caress this chapter is called The Tree.

I can't even imagine what would be worse, Kat going to the tree by herself or goddamn Anthony chopping the thing down.

himajinga posted:

As much as it sucks I'm sure you're right. If this was an easy one and done sort of thing it would rob it of its gravitas.

Agreed. This kind of radical change in the status quo not only gives Annie the ultimate personal hurdle to overcome, but opens up the plot to entirely new directions. Rereading the rest of the comic (because of course I couldn't stop after that link), the Forest is going to be really, really pissed that their personal agent, pet favorite, and honorary citizen has been stolen from them...so she can study?!

Also when rereading, you're immediately reminded that Annie prior to this chapter is immensely powerful, has unbelievable etheric contacts, and has many friends in the Court who support her and her long-term goals, all of whom will react unfavorably when she suddenly vanishes just because her father thinks she should repeat a year in study prison. From today's page, it's clear that Anthony wants to literally cut her off from the ether and from her friends, but definitely doesn't know what he's dealing with (although his own etheric/scientific abilities will likely threaten even the strongest of those allies.)

UberJew posted:

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if this is the central conflict whose resolution takes the entire rest of the comic to achieve and everything up to now was setting the scene.

That's actually entirely possible.

Most fantasy stories have followed Gunnerkrigg Court's track to date: the hero(ine) hears the call to the other magical world, and accepts the call immediately or accepts after a denial or two, goes on an adventure, and then goes back home to the real world.

Most fantasy stories do not have the real world decide to cut off the hero's access to that world forever because of abusive parents because that poo poo is dark and usually doesn't end up in kids' books. Even the Pensive Children, who got deposited back in the real world after every adventure, eventually strode off together into a magical afterlife; even Harry Potter, who has to go back to the Dursleys every summer, always went back every school year. Anthony wants to cut Annie off from all this permanently. Will magic triumph when directly challenged by the Real World's Powers that Be, especially when those Powers have been working for some time now on removing and/or assimilating magic from the Forest/the world/Annie herself for their own purposes?

Now that's a key conflict.

EDIT: Haha, no seriously, could you loving imagine if at the end of Harry Potter Book 5 or Book 6, Harry's father or Umbridge came back, snapped Harry's wand in two, brainwashed him or wiped his memories, and sent him to a Muggle school with no way out?

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 11, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Jackard posted:

Given the apple, chapter title probably refers to "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree" and not the friendship cherry tree.

I had no idea that was a cherry tree. The more you know.

Still don't think it's an accident that there also happens to be another Tree that's a crucial symbol of the Kat-Annie friendship, but we'll see what plays out.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Things continue to...not get better.

Finally found some pages I've been looking for that might have been helpful earlier during the discussion of Annie and cheating:
- Whatever Gunnerkrigg Court is, Kat and Annie noticed way back that it's a lot more than a school, and the entire comic has kind of been about them finding out what it really is. (I don't even think it's really a school to begin with. If anything, the whole school thing seems to be one big assimilation factory for the Forest residents/Britain's Supernatural Children...who might also be part of the Court's ether tests?).
- The whole comic has had some really interesting pages on Annie and her decision-making as she grows up: Jones wants her to make decisions for herself, while Jimmy Jims just...doesn't want her to get caught (like her mom, a squeaky-clean rule breaker herself).

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

flatluigi posted:

Today's edition of "statements that are rough in hindsight"

http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1058

Made somewhat less harsh by Jones going "snap out of it" and then Annie apparently catching up on all her detentions, for people who don't remember how that plot line turned out.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

:unsmith:

:smith:

:qq:

Repeat on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at 3 AM.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

For folks who want to keep track of the visual callbacks without coming into contact with the addictive archive:
- the mask
- the bone spears

That chapter tells an interesting visual story by the way: although Annie had set aside her mask to be friends and have a life at the Court/Forest, the mask was still in her life and was still covering up her homework copying. Everything that's happened this chapter has much, much deeper psychological roots than even her friendship with Kat or her life at the Court so far.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, that reminds me, it seems odd that it's Jones giving her the mask there. I wonder what that is symbolizing exactly, since she was putting up her facade before she met Jones.

I've always been confused by that. It could be that Jones' advice to straighten up and fly right wasn't actually ever a true long term fix for Annie emotionally.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

These are not short-term changes, y'all. :smith:

I'm still really impressed at Tom's ability to blow up his status quo like this.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

GodFish posted:

Kat is using this to steal Renard, right? right? :smith:

Of course she is.

Then she's going to find out that by "a room near the year 9 dorms" Anthony meant a metal coffin that would be winched up and down from the sea floor each day and it'll get wooooorrrrse :qq:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Faust IX posted:

I mean, someone could very easily twist how that sounded into it being a direct attack on The Forest by kidnapping their Medium and holding her hostage within The Court, without warning or seemingly any cause.

It's still not beyond the pale that the Court has merely been moving pawns around the board to provoke conflict with the Forest/have some real-world testing fun with their etheric experiments. Although that would be the kind of nasty plot development that we haven't seen before until now.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

This is some dark poo poo y'all. I'm kind of liking it. Tom's finally gone full psychological horror. :unsmigghh:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Sooooo...wait.

Annie is literally living in a prison cell?

Like, a single all-white room?

:wtf:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

Okay, at this point we've moved out of "Gunnerkrigg is a thrice-weekly emotional torture that I can't tear myself away from" and into "I don't recognize these as being the characters I'm familiar with and it's getting hard to believe in the comic's reality."

People's responses to this regarding Kat and pacing are correct, but I do think that there's something to be said about this storyline being a seriously radical break from what the comic's done since its inception. For the entirety of the comic, the Court has done almost nothing to interfere with or even impact our main characters. The Court provides supervision, yes, but not only is this supervision easily outmaneuvered, actual interference or intervention isn't forthcoming. Students seem to be expected to react and live quite independently (the cow laser camping trip and the sentient ship cruise). The very rare times the court actually uses its immense power, it does so in relatively simple ways that are central to the narrative (the Medium choice, Annie's detentions). Even visually, and from the very beginning, Annie and all the other characters have been shown as existing in a human-less wasteland of empty corridors and buildings. If anyone's watching, they don't dare disturb the petri dish.

This, of course, is just part of the narrative. Why else are children's stories so littered with orphans? Even the most irresponsible parent usually has enough sense to allow their child to avoid the kind of dangers that are a prerequisite for an "adventure". But the narrative is fundamentally changing. What happens to the orphan when the parents come back? What happens to the experiment when the scientist forces conditions to change?

I can entirely understand why this shift would be alienating. We have yet to see how profound this change to the status quo is, or how much it'll stick, but one of the Court's quiescent adult science gods suddenly moving in and making permanent changes to the community/experiment in this way is something earthshaking.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 20:49 on May 8, 2015

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Is it me or are the female agents quieter? Prism is stepping around with jog not alerting anyone to anything. When Xu runs the exact same path he's stomping like a german soldier on a hellmarch and alerting guards everywhere.

I'd play the hay-ell out of an Invisible Inc./Gunnerkrigg Court mash-up. Especially since the current plot is so clearly a hostage rescue mission.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

I hope this is a hilarious intervention and jimmy jims is there too.

It would actually make sense. The Donlans have known Anthony for years and seem to understand his weirdness pretty well. I know there have been others in the thread who understandably want everyone to go in guns blazing to protect Annie from his psycho "parenting," but I feel like they'd know that the best way to deal with TonyBot is to trap him in layers of elaborate etiquette and procedure while they feel out his true intentions and do what they can to help his daughter (and the daughter of their deceased best friend) at that time, rather than attempt a kidnapping.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Pistol_Pete posted:

After reading today's page, I believe I have worked out why this chapter is entitled "Sneak".

Kat and the gang have devised a scheme to rescue Reynard.... and Annie's going to tell her dad on them. Look at the difference in Annie's reactions in panel 1 and panel 6. Kat's going to push ahead, completely confident of Antimony's loyalty, too young and naive to see that she's pushing Annie into an intolerable position.

It's going to be a cringingly epic chapter, for sure!

We'll see.

"Oh Kat, you're not still going to do that, are you?"

Annie seems more helpless than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Itzena posted:

Flip that around. He gouges out Annie's fire elemental side (which we've seen him try to do) with his etheric bone-claw hand and then shoves it into Surma's preserved corpse in an insane attempt to revive her. Cue comatose Annie and mindless zombie-Surma with Tony thinking everything is normal, everything is fine.

Cue the Japanese science fiction-influenced plot where Kat must build a human/robot body for her former friend's soul to inhabit, leading Robot and Annie to merge to become the Messiah of Post-Humanity/Robotics. Gunnerkrigg in the Shell. :japan: