Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tollymain posted:

in what way would you describe annie's world as not having been burned to the ground in the last couple chapters

The part where she still sees her friends and interacts in a familiar environment where her needs are taken care of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tollymain posted:

you're kidding, right

Considering that the original statement was "This is the nicer than the alternative," I was pointing out that, while she had the rug cruelly ripped out from under her by suddenly-present-with-no-explanation-and-also-incredibly-disapproving father, she wasn't cast out into the non-court world where she doesn't know anyone, much less even know how to survive.

So, yes, life really sucks, but the Court wanted to do much worse, apparently.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Conot posted:

The Court's motivation is a little opaque here. Either they wanted to humiliate Annie/make a example of her, in which case, why not go ahead as planned and let her get her rear end expelled or they want to rein her in and make her a functional member of the Court, in which case... why not do it themselves? They've been treating Annie with the kid's gloves, sure, but its a bit much to go from kid's gloves to "Haha expelled forever gently caress you".

Honestly, I think the "We were lying to him to get him to come back and work for us" option is pretty likely, too.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Lurdiak posted:

I'm really interested in seeing how this chapter resolves, personally. We just learned that Annie cut the fire out of herself, and even though she probably understands her father better now, I'd be surprised if that led to that situation being immediately resolved.

More importantly, that can't be good for her. I mean, when her mom passed the spirit onto her, she wasted away. Yeah, she's got it hanging around with her, but Annie was with her mother all the time too.

And look how that ended.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fighting Trousers posted:

I think at this point Tony would probably be willing to join the "Anthony Carver is a bit of a tosser" club. Cue Rey and Jimmy Jims awkwardly shifting in their chairs while he pours out what an absolute poo poo he is.

There should be a "We almost killed Annie" support group.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Blackheart posted:

Flammie seems more angry at Meat Annie than Tony now.

Progress!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

MikeJF posted:

I... guess the wording is ambiguous?

Buildings aren't people!

...Probably!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Rasamune posted:

"So? You're a fire elemental and a minor death goddess, you can take him"

"If he bothers you, just eliminate him" is pretty wolf-dad advice.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Wolfdad: "Maybe I was wrong about this Anthony Carver fellow. He sounds very reasonable. "

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fried Chicken posted:

That's an impressive lack of a sense of self preservation there Mr rabbit

What do you mean? The Forest Medium is a wonderfully nice girl! What could go wrong?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Male Man posted:

Looking forward to the 30-page chapter bonus.

Getting on the ground floor, here.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

alcharagia posted:

That's just Goku, Vegeta is a fantastic husband.

...eventually.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

imperialparadox posted:

The way that Tom draws the "huh?" expression is one of my favorite things in Gunnerkrigg Court.

It really is great.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Kat's expression in that second panel is gold.

:mad: : "Annie's dad is such a jerk!"

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I mean, it might blow his street racing cover. Didn't she listen to the story of how they started dating at all?

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Predictions for next page:
Annie: "Yeah, he told me he was into me, but I'm not into him. Ah well."
Normal people: "Oh, ok."
Gunnerkrigg Court students: "I wonder what far reaching conspiracy caused my plans to fail..."

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

YF-23 posted:

No? It really wasn't, and anyone (other than Jones) thinking that Annie should've been the medium was loving wrong. That it shocked people doesn't mean it was "lovely", it means people had bad expectations.

When everyone in the program is visibly surprised at your decision, it's usually a sign that you should have communicated better. The fact that it probably turned out better than the alternative doesn't matter. Pulling the rug out from under Annie at the moment of selection, in front of the other potential mediums, instructors, and the forest representatives? Combined with the fact that the headmaster almost flips his lid when Annie is offered the Forest Medium position, I'm finding it really hard to read the manner the Court went about things as anything other than an attempt to publicly humiliate and punish Annie.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

YF-23 posted:

So what did you want the headmaster to do then? It's not his fault that everyone else took the decision for granted. Maybe you could blame Jones for that, and everyone else who thought it was the competition for medium was just a formality.

Again, if literally everyone in the room is surprised in your choice, maybe it's your fault for not communicating. So, if your goal is something other than being a giant dick, the reasonable thing would to make the decision and the reasoning known to candidates and/or instructors before the big, public decision. It's not like this is the Oscars or something. A big surprise serves no point, and good communication is like leadership 101.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

KittyEmpress posted:

I have been rereading GC and I miss when Robot was a super cutie and would call Annie Mum/Mummy and wasn't a creepy robot cultist.

We need a chapter where Annie and Robot get to hang out. Or Annie, Shadow, and Robot. Since she kinda mothered them both/took care of them.

Robot and Shadow are pretty cute right now, but otherwise, I agree with the idea of getting Annie to hang out more with Robot and/or Shadow.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Surma died, and Anthony did nothing.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

EmmyOk posted:

Imagine if the Jeanne resolution was like the "Rescue Reynard" one, they get down there and it turns out she'd watched some Dr. Phil and realised it was time to move on from toxic people in her life and just be her for once ya know.

As long as I get another smug Coyote, I'll be ok.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Podima posted:

The subtle story (and not-so-subtle art) progression shown through the break-start pages is really fascinating. Check them out:

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=294

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=559

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=833

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1091

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1167

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1453

http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=1742

(I might have missed one in there, it's hard to find these without a lot of manual hunting unless I've missed something obvious.)

Man, it must kill Tom to know he peaked in the middle there.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Parts Kit posted:

'Grats Annie, you pissed off The Lady of Pain.

We'll, she's already been mazed.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

betamax hipster posted:

Annie sure jumped on the "inscrutable insectine steel angel is my best friend" train pretty quick. You'd think she'd be less credulous after the last time something like this happened.

Well, the plan does seem to be that Kat's supposed to use SCIENCE! to join her in magic world, so Annie's at least expecting her.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Oh my god, I knew it. I knew that dummy was going to blow it and give Blue a weird name based on an outbur-

Tom posted:

This does not count as a name.

...oh, ok.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Theirs is a culture filled with subtlety.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Feb 20, 2017

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Don't date robots!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Samuringa posted:

I feel like this would make a good avatar but I can't think of a proper text. Any suggestions?

Seriously, someone report this post.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Inglonias posted:

To answer Coyote's question: "Lead an army over and kill everything"?

Almost right, but Yisengrin doesn't seem like the delegating type.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Oh shiiiiiiit :stare: I knew this was coming ever since Jeanne was freed, but the past few chapters have been so cute and chill that I kinda forgot about it.

Much like the court I was lued into a false sense of security.

Coming? Coyote as probably been asking Yisengrin that question at least every day since the river has been safe. :v

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Ahahaha, he can fly? Oh my God I love this ridiculous dog. He's going to kill so many people, but I love him. I love his stupid face.

Terrifyingly powerful Gods with goofy designs are the best.

https://youtu.be/Uwbqr2UjeSg

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

madjack posted:

Well that one sure went a long way over my head.

We really should be above making puns like this.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Fecha posted:

Isabel’s really just happy about her four stars

I've never seen this comic before and oh my why is it two hours later.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I can't wait to see everyone dressed in black and be really badass post time skip versions of themselves.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Man, sure hope Annie's been on top of Annie's homework or else Annie is going to get held back another year!

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Tollymain posted:

annie is discovering novel and previously unimaginable ways to feel unloved by her father lmao

Obviously, the only answer is Thunderdome.

Two Annies enter.
One Annie leaves.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

PubicMice posted:

I still stand by Annie 1 and Annie A.

Annie 1 and Annie Fighting Mongooses

Edit: of course I was beaten to the joke at least twice. :v:

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Warmachine posted:

Tony's going to drop a galaxy brain reading on the Ship of Theseus and proclaim that they are both his daughters because he considers them his daughters and they don't have to be rivals for his newly developed sense of affection and they'll all live happily ever after. :shobon:

He would unironically be a Good Dad.

So, I don't buy it.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Man, that's just going to cause even more Anniemosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Captain Oblivious posted:

To be fair to Annie-2, she wasn’t hostile til Annie-1 called her a fake. :v:

Well, she was probably thinking it. They're the same after all.