Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The only really interesting part of Grandia 2's plot is the protagonist, and he mellows out as the game goes on, so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

On the other hand it still has some amazing lines.

"Some say that Granas has turned away from us. That we have lost his blessing."
"Iunno, that fatass rich guy looked pretty blessed. About three hundred pounds more blessed than me."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

A woman who not an hour ago completely wasted the church of a village and beat Ryudo up, while laughing maniacally and wearing demon wings, just tried to jump Ryudo in bed. But then she instantly changes her mind and calms down when some commotion comes from outside the room? Well it turns out a little kid went into a monster nest, so she decides to, instead of carrying on with her implied sex, come along with Ryudo to beat the monsters and save the kid? And Ryudo is completely OK with this turn of events?? I'm sorry, what just happened?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Amppelix posted:

A woman who not an hour ago completely wasted the church of a village and beat Ryudo up, while laughing maniacally and wearing demon wings, just tried to jump Ryudo in bed. But then she instantly changes her mind and calms down when some commotion comes from outside the room? Well it turns out a little kid went into a monster nest, so she decides to, instead of carrying on with her implied sex, come along with Ryudo to beat the monsters and save the kid? And Ryudo is completely OK with this turn of events?? I'm sorry, what just happened?

Millenia is pretty awesome, that's what. Just roll with it.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

On the other hand it still has some amazing lines.

"Some say that Granas has turned away from us. That we have lost his blessing."
"Iunno, that fatass rich guy looked pretty blessed. About three hundred pounds more blessed than me."

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Millenia is pretty awesome, that's what. Just roll with it.

This is the type of thing that really annoys me, though. This event makes no sense for any of the characters involved as far as we know! It feels like the script at this point read "Millenia joins the party now (We'll figure it out later)" and then they forgot to figure it out. I first thought I'd somehow skipped a scene between the bed ambush and the "Oh ok, let's go do something else". I mean literally the last thing we saw her doing was screaming about killing people and now here she is and nobody cares.

Eh, whatever, I don't care enough either to think about it more.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Sakurazuka posted:

Jack Russell might be my favourite RPG name and I'm sad that game never came out here.

EDGE MAVERICK

Speaking of page numbers, I really should finish Nocturne some day. Every time I think of picking it back up I remember this dude

I'm not hardcore enough I guess.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Hm, will consider Radiata Stories then...

It's pretty good if my decade-old memories are to be trusted. It's one of those games that has every NPC have their own schedule, and you can recruit pretty much everyone. And it does a cool thing in the middle where depending on a choice you make the rest of the game plays out completely differently.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Overbite posted:

EDGE MAVERICK

Speaking of page numbers, I really should finish Nocturne some day. Every time I think of picking it back up I remember this dude

I'm not hardcore enough I guess.

Matador isn't hard.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
The Ginza Underpass shop sells a Magatama with immunity to Force. If you do that he'll cannibalize his own turns and get his poo poo kicked in.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Genocyber posted:

It's pretty good if my decade-old memories are to be trusted. It's one of those games that has every NPC have their own schedule, and you can recruit pretty much everyone. And it does a cool thing in the middle where depending on a choice you make the rest of the game plays out completely differently.

I remember it being good too, though I played through it on painkillers after having teeth removed so my memories might not be accurate. I did like that you could kick anyone and fight them.

alcharagia posted:

The Ginza Underpass shop sells a Magatama with immunity to Force. If you do that he'll cannibalize his own turns and get his poo poo kicked in.

I just remember him being a huge pain, though this was a long time ago when I wasn't used to the way SMT games played.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

If you get the sticker guy and that magatama it becomes a joke

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Overbite posted:

Wild Arms 5 is really good. The others not so much.

The best part of WA5 was the Knight Blazer costume coming with the theme song. :colbert:

4 is awful but I still love 2 and 3 and replayed 2 in full a few years ago. Aside from it having one of the most awful voiced child characters to ever grace a video game, WA5 was indeed quite good though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Overbite posted:

EDGE MAVERICK

Star Ocean 5 can only hope to top this amazing name.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Star Ocean 5: Integrity and Faithlessness can only hope to top this amazing name.
Something tells me it'll make a pretty good swing at it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jack Russell is better than Edge Maverick because that's just anime nonsense, rather being named after an actual dog breed.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Star Ocean 4 was so insanely terrible that I have zero doubt that 5 will also be terrible but it's a kind of terrible I want to experience for myself. 3 was bad in an endearing way. 2 was cool.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I thought Star Ocean looked fine until I saw there's a little girl with a elementary school backpack as a party member and lost hope they learned their lesson.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Star Ocean 5 can only hope to top this amazing name.

Isn't SO5's protagonist supposed to be something like Kenichi Castro?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The White Dragon posted:

Isn't SO5's protagonist supposed to be something like Kenichi Castro?

Fidel Camuze

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Stalin Hitler

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The protagonist is Augusto Castro Stalin of the Mao Kim Jong Il Hitler tribe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Genocyber posted:

My experience with Dinenr Dinner Dinner has been positive enough that I will give other non-Star Ocean games from Tri-Ace a try. I already have Resonance of Fate, but Radiata Stories and Valkrie Profile 2 are on my list of games to buy.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Quest For Glory II posted:

My experience with Dinenr Dinner Dinner has been positive enough that I will give other non-Star Ocean games from Tri-Ace a try. I already have Resonance of Fate, but Radiata Stories and Valkrie Profile 2 are on my list of games to buy.

Lightning Returns is a Tri-Ace game. It also owns.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Lightning Returns is a Tri-Ace game. It also owns.
Yeah I'll get it, when it comes to Steam in ten years

al-azad
May 28, 2009

In celebration of this page I'm playing Tecmo's Deception. Pledge your soul to Satan to murder your betraying brother but not before you harvest the souls of the innocent. I just turned two parents looking for medicine for their ill child into zombies. I was rewarded with a cutscene where the sick child wonders when her parents are returning.

More evil RPGs thank you.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Soul Nomad's Demon Path is cool because you turn into a cackling cartoon villain and tear off a little cherub's wings and kill her while her best friend watches in horror

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

Soul Nomad's Demon Path is cool because you turn into a cackling cartoon villain and tear off a little cherub's wings and kill her while her best friend watches in horror

Where's my Vita re-release drat it

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011

Tae posted:

I thought Star Ocean looked fine until I saw there's a little girl with a elementary school backpack as a party member and lost hope they learned their lesson.

We'll know if they've learned their lesson if the character in question starts speaking in a dull emotionless monotone while having a dumb room assignment mechanic where you can have the main sleep in the room with her for god knows what reason. It's not like Lymle is the only child party member to ever appear in Star Ocean, and I'm pretty sure we've even had a similar type of design with Precis in 2.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pepita was fine, I don't have a default problem with child characters at all. But when you specifically design a child character to look like and walk like the awful kid in 4, that's going to bring doubt.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I just feel like the fact that the final game on the Wasteland engine was "Escape From Hell" should be brought up on page 666.

Thanks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

alcharagia posted:

my favorite part of demon path is that you recruit all the villains from the normal path, but instead ofi t being some 'alliance of evil' thing they're basically your wacky miniboss squad while you get to do all the hard work, and as the game goes on they go from 'wacky' to 'uncomfortably demented.'

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Endorph posted:

my favorite part of demon path is that you recruit all the villains from the normal path, but instead ofi t being some 'alliance of evil' thing they're basically your wacky miniboss squad while you get to do all the hard work, and as the game goes on they go from 'wacky' to 'uncomfortably demented.'

Also waking up from an evil coma to find Gig named it "The BFF Empire".

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Endorph posted:

Thorndyke's slow descent from paragon of justice to "I loving LOVE MURDER BAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA" was the best

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Endorph posted:

Also the ones that aren't completely mentally destroyed by the halfway point eventually get increasingly uncomfortable with you and go "uhhh, you're worse than we ever were, nope not doing this"

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Tonfa posted:

Also the ones that aren't completely mentally destroyed by the halfway point eventually get increasingly uncomfortable with you and go "uhhh, you're worse than we ever were, nope not doing this"

I like how it eventually leads to a better ending than the good path, because everyone decides to work together so they can stop you.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Yeah, that part was great. "Woah, being praised for defending people feels way better than trying to kill them!" coming from one of the worst villains in the main route is great.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So Ar No Surge seems strangely well assembled for a gust game.

The Battle system reminds me of Valkyrie profile to some extent, even the layout goes for a side view of the battle with the command buttons on the right.

Does the gameplay take a dive later on? Because the textures for the characters look fairly well done and the environments don't even look sparse compared to some of the Altelier Games.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It remains pretty much the same throughout the game. You'll need to bump the difficulty up to hard if you want any sort of challenge though, unfortunately this also means that a couple of bosses aren't particularly well balanced and are way harder than anything else around the same level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
So, uh, how am I supposed to get Feena's Water and Earth magic to 99 to learn this unknown spell?