Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I can't say much about the others but I played Gothic 2 for the first time last year and had a blast. This was after asking the same question to some friends and being told to start with 2. I've heard 1 is really dated and has real interface issues which can be incredibly annoying, the controls are apparently hand breaking. Also yeah 3 and 4 are supposed to be trash according to every opinion I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm 12 hours in and I really feel at some times it fits that cliche. Elf guy is spock, girl is the nurse/com officer, and edge is...someone else. He's no kirk.

He's Janeway.

Edit: Got some questions on Atelier Totori and Dark Souls.

On AT, what happened to Totori's mother. I know you'll find out eventually, I just like this kind of thing spoiled in games like this cause it's inevitably something dumb and I don't like getting my hopes up.

On Dark Souls, I've gotten to Anor Londo and am getting my rear end handed to me more than usual. I want to get one of these elemental weapons, where should I go to get one/find a blacksmith to upgrade my halberd to one.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Oct 17, 2011

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ah, cool thanks. I don't have to worry about anything dumb like her being alive but with amnesia, her having given up on being an adventurer and gotten depressing or pathetic (I remember one game where this was the reveal and it sucked), or her becoming the flauschtraut after killing the original or otherwise being the final boss somehow then. As you said Gust's output is all over the place so I was concerned.

Also Recettear and Chantelise were awesome.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

If somebody doesn't mind spoilering it. What IS the requirements for the normal ending for Atelier Totori? I'm pretty far into the game (Year 5) now and I just want to know if I possibly already blew past it.

What the above guy said, but also don't worry I didn't get the ship until year 5 month 11 and still got the normal ending. The boss you need to fight is a jump in difficulty if you hadn't been fighting much but nothing too bad.

Also do you need cobalt for the boat? I could swear I got it ready at diamond rank. What ingredients need cobalt?

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 25, 2011

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm the one person who actually liked FFXIII so I'll probably at least rent FFXIII-2 from Gamefly.

I've never played an Atelier game, but the new one is for the PS3 so I can't play it. Although I do have to get one so I can play Tales of Graces F... :negative:

drat you Bamco for convincing me to get a 360 so I could play Tales of Vesperia and then releasing the next Tales game on PS3. :argh:

If you want to try an Atelier game there is one for the DS if you've got one. It's nowhere near as good as the PS3 ones though.

Also we're getting Ni No Kuni? gently caress yes between that and Meruru's release being confirmed this has been some good news for my JRPG cravings.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nah Final Fantasies have no real plot connection unless they have the same roman number with an addendum like Final Fantasy X-2 or Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core. If the roman numeral is different they have no connection. Hell X and XII are probably the most different two games in the series not counting the MMOs.

Also you were about 3/4 of the way through the plot of FFX and about 2/3 way through all the content (a ton of optional stuff would have opened up a few hours down the line from where you were).

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So Pandora's Tower came out today in Australia, and probably Europe as well. I've been thinking of getting it just on being a RPG, but has anyone here got it? I kinda want to get some opinions of it before I buy it.

Edit: poo poo sorry just found the topic. Still may as well leave it here in case any other Aus or Eurogoons just found out about it today like me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So I was thinking of trying Ys. I've got a PSP so I'm torn between 7 and Oath in Felghana. Any opinions? Both?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Blew most of the day playing Oath in Felghana, thank you thread for constantly talking up the Ys series.

On modern RPGs I agree with Ankle-biter and Bleusilences, the Yakuza and SMT series are both excellent for the most part.

SMT is firmly in the JRPG category so if that's a problem you're kinda hosed. If it's not they are really excellent and I recommend SMT Nocturne(it's called Lucifer's Call if you're in the PAL regions), it's pretty hard but in a fun way, and the setting is pretty amazing. The SMT Persona games are a lot easier and they ramp up the anime like crazy and 3 and 4 incorporate dating sim mechanics (and 1 and 2 are just kinda badly aged). If anime doesn't bother you they're great though.

Also if you're fine with anime The World Ends With You for the DS is extremely good once you get used to the weird as gently caress control scheme.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

If it helps you find them I'm pretty sure the original DA2 threads are all in the gaschamber. People understandably did not react well to that game. Doesn't really explain the pre-release thread though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Someone mentioned it another thread, and got me thinking. Is the PS2 version of Deus Ex any good as a port? It's on the PSN and I have some funbux left over and was just wondering.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Thanks for the replies, I actually have the PC version somewhere, but do not have a PC for gaming, and won't in the foreseeable future and I got the urge to play it again, so I think I will get the PS2 version.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/subaseka/sp.html

So I might just be getting excited, but that looks like a silhouetted cityscape and TWEWY font. Damnit Square I'm gonna be watching that like a hawk for the rest of the week.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

So has anyone else tried the NiNoKuni demo? Looks pretty fun to me, the English VA seems kinda lackluster, but then again it has a loving overworld map. I nearly went into a nostalgia fit when I saw that.

Nihnoz posted:

What's a good JRPG where you really have to plan for bosses, Etrian Odyssey has a lot of that, and Persona 3 & 4 do too to a lesser extent, puzzle-y boss battles are my favorite part of jrpgs and I want more pretty badly.

Have you played SMT: Nocturne? Because that is the game that came to mind immediately for this.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

demon's souls!!!

i thought this poster must be lying but nope

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdu1NdEs15g&feature=youtu.be&t=6m25s

i am really wondering what tone they were going for here, or, just, really I am wondering 10000 things.

I made the mistake of buying this sight unseen cause I tend to have really enjoyed most NIS games and had store credit building up and nearing expiry. As someone above said I think they were trying for the Demon path from Soul Nomad without realising it worked because of the good path before it.

I actually am finding the gameplay fun so far though, it does nicely scratch that ARPG itch to me anyway, the alternate weapon combo thing has been fun to play with. But yeah I'd avoid until it's in the bargain bin.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Square only really seems to have learnt it's lesson sometime after FFXIV 1.0. Square were at their absolute dumbest after FF12, it was pretty much the last thing they did before going full retard. So them having converted all the code to hieroglyphics and killed everyone capable of translating, deleted all the VA assets and replaced them with clips of Gackt songs or something would not surprise me.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Nate RFB posted:

I feel like Atelier discussion here popped up out of nowhere over the past year or so, presumably coinciding with the release of Escha and Logy. Since I know the series has been around for a while, is this because E&L is just that much better than the rest or was I just living under a rock all this time with regards to its popularity?

Part of it is there used to be a Atelier specific thread that disappeared after the Arland trilogy finished, so if you didn't see that thread you missed a lot of conversation about it. Part of it is it seems to have finally gathered enough inertia to reach the general consciousness.

Related topic, I saw Atelier Rorona + for PS3 on sale at EB today, it got R18+ for classification.

For reference The Witcher 2 is MA15+. The gently caress did they add to the new version?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Seriously? Wow. gently caress my country sometimes.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Codiekitty posted:

Did... did Final Fantasy 9 have a scene where Zidane and Vivi bond by pissing off a cliff together, or is there some other "male ceremony" you men have that involves a tinkling noise?

And if the Black Mages in Final Fantasy 9 are dolls animated by Mist, how do they pee?

Come to think of it, how do they even eat?

Uh Mist condensing maybe? So technically he's raining I guess.

Eating? gently caress if I know.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Speaking of games trying to come off as old SNES/Megadrive era rpgs are any of those rpgmaker games on Steam worth it?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Cool thanks for the suggestions.

Endorph posted:

it isn't on steam but exit fate is pretty decent if you want rpgmaker suikoden

frankly it's a better game than suikoden 3 or 4

Neat. Really looking for something to scratch a Dragon Quest itch. Played the DS releases to death and DQ8 isn't playable due to a not great PC and a dead PS2. gently caress I want that 3DS rerelease.

Actually might just replay Suikoden 2, just remembered I didn't play the rerelease.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is the IP still owned by nobody or what? Cause last I heard it was owned by some liquidation company or something. I really want some HD ports of Shadow Hearts.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Is I am Setsuna worth being excited about?

Also aside from the book I like the character designs in that Atelier Sophie video. The goon king in particular.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ah thanks. Well short and sweet is good. Definitely beats a long slog.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

psudonym55 posted:

If I had never played an Atelier game before which one is a good one to start with?

I'd say Escha and Logy as well if you're still wondering.

Meruru is my favourite but part of that is it building on stuff from Rorona and Totori to cap off that trilogy. Escha and Logy has a lot of QoL improvements and a much better combat system, definitely the best entry point.

If you like it enough to want more jump back to the plus versions of the Arland games though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I never beat Shallie. It just lost me. First Atelier to do that since Iris 2.

Which wasn't actually beatable due to a glitch from memory anyway.

corn in the bible posted:

astrid is creepy and i am glad there is no comparable character in the dusk games

ayesha is probably the toughest one wrt time limits because it's a lot less clear how much you need to do. in e&l it's a joke and sophie doesn't even have one which is its own problem tbh

Agreed.

Also I think you mean Shallie. Unless you're talking about an import of Sophie?

Does Sophie have time limits again?

Endorph posted:

the art in the dusk games is so good

The reveal of the new art style in the Ayesha trailer sold me on the new setting immediately.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I still have to finish Trails in the Sky AND SC first :shepface:.

I was steadily making progress. Then Dark Souls 3 came out. :downsgun:

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Davincie posted:

is it that every western rpg sells better, or is it that the big bethesda/bioware games sell better? i can't think of any others that are as huge

Big budget western stuff sells better, and Bethesda games are an outlier even for that. Sort of like GTA versus it's clones/other TPS games.

Verranicus posted:

Would play this.

Yuffie roaming Midgar and assassinating President Shinra in AU FF7?

Shadow in the World of Ruin?

Yeah I can actually see this working.

Well if AC games had anything remotely close to competent people working on them.

HGH posted:

Forgive the stupid question but if you were to quantify the Japanese elements of the game, what would they be?

To me part of it's the way the levels are designed. That sort of Metroid/Igavania style.

It pops up in some western games but generally only ones that are themselves deliberately aping Metroid/SotN/Souls.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

the only scifi jrpg is opoona

I bought that three times and had to return it three times because the disc never worked right.

That is my Opoona experience.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tired Moritz posted:

what the gently caress

fat Oskar was a way better design

I kinda like stuff changing and I wonder what justification if any there will be. Did plants start telling him to exercise?

We need fat Harol to balance this though.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I liked it but it's probably the worst Atelier game since Totori, it was obviously rushed and there's not a lot to it. The crafting system is probably the best in the series though and it's a shame the rest wasn't up to scratch.
I hate to say it but the lack of time limit is to its detriment too, and means it has no real focus.

I agree with all of this. I enjoyed it, but I enjoy all these games. Also it lacks the personality of Dusk's setting or the over the top characters of Arland and that makes it seem a bit flat. I'd get it on the cheap honestly.

Crafting is amazing though.

Hopefully they'll get back in stride for the next game.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Has there ever been a bad dog party member in any video game?

The one in Fallout 4 seems to have a really bad habit of blocking things off. Also he seems buggier than the other companions.

Cait never turned invisible or started flying out of reach so I couldn't heal her at least.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

My first impression of Setsuna is the excuse to get the main character into the party and not dead or imprisoned is some of the most tortured forced writing I can think of in an RPG. *after committing attempted murder* "Let him go he didn't commit any crime" "If he's so dangerous to me then he's obviously a powerful fighter so he's a perfect guard!". The game is pretty but that writing Jesus Christ.

ImpAtom posted:

My biggest problem with FC is that it spends so much time making GBS threads on Estelle for being a dumb bad bracer when she's basically absurdly good at her job, but that's kinda a flaw of story and mechanics.

This was actually one of the things the latest Atelier fixed I feel. A lot of the earlier ones had the protag still treated as an incompetent when they were near the end game and making poo poo like the literal Philosopher's Stone and Panacea. Sophie had her clearly progress to respected as she starts getting to the high rank quests at the bar and especially after she makes Plachta's doll body even if she hasn't quite clued in to it herself. She only really gets ragged on for her lack of book knowledge later on.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Out of curiosity, what was changed in Rorona?

Rorona Plus is a remake instead of just a expanded edition. Rorona+ is Rorona remade in the later games style, gameplay and engine.

The other games plus versions basically just add characters and I think a new ending each?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

tenderjerk posted:

whats this thread's opinion on Atelier Sophie? I just finished Trails of Cold Steel and am too burned out on it to go directly into II and need a different animu rpg

I liked it, but I am a huge sucker for the series and have been since Iris 1. It's definitely weaker than Meruru and E&L though I did enjoy it more than Ayesha and Shallie. In hindsight I think I may have judged Shallie unfairly as I was used to the PS4 by that point, and, my PS3 controller was dying at the time creating a constant annoyance while I played.

It really did feel like new console syndrome, it has a lot in common with Rorona in that way, which has got me interested in Firis. It's a little weird though, I figured Nights of Azure would have gotten them ready for the PS4.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Yeah the real worry with the new FF7 writing is if they do the Advent Children thing and fit the personalities to the popular misrememberings. Original Cloud was actually pretty interesting and likeable. Dissia, KH and Advent Children Cloud is generic garbage.

I mean yeah there's also all the stuff that might get tossed like crossdressing Cloud, Cloud beating Aerith and Tifa accidentally loving Cloud in view of everyone else. But those aren't really important for the game as a whole or can be replaced like changing the beating to a choking. Spending the whole game with KH Cloud would be a dealbreaker.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Zereth posted:

Didn't they confirm that'll be in?

EDIT: I actually honestly think that sequence is a very important piece of characterization... for Aerith. Her IMMEDIATE reaction to problems getting into Don Cornero's place is "I AM GOING TO MAKE CLOUD CROSSDRESS."

Did they? Cool. I've missed stuff I guess. I'm glad it's in, my point was more that one scene getting changed would be tolerable but Cloud having his Dissidia etc characterisation wouldn't.

Also point on it being important for Aerith actually, hadn't considered that.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Colour Splash is the funniest game I've played in years holy poo poo.

I loving lost it at using "The Lost Levels" in place of hell as a swear.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

:psyduck:

Ni No Kuni wasn't that long. I don't think it was even more than 45 hours.

To be fair to Endorph, it certainly felt that long.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Getsuya posted:

What's a good JRPG available on PS3 for a person who has never played a JRPG? My wife and her are trying to figure out if she likes RPGs or not.

She likes puzzle games like Riven/Myst and the PS2 Harry Potter games. Exploring, solving puzzles and getting wrapped up in the story are things she enjoys. She dislikes anime girls with squeaky voices. She hates all the girls in Atelier Sophie.

ImpAtom posted:

That's tough in that the Atelier games are among the best intro JRPGs on the system. Maybe one of the Kingdom Hearts games though they're more action-RPG and obviously the plot gets loving insane.

If she's willing to go backwards-compatible there's a lot of solid PS2 JRPGs, though IIRC you're using the Japanese PSN so I don't know what ones they have there.

If she speaks Japanese, Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth got a PS3 version in Japan I think? That was really good, fairly simple and lacking in squeaky voiced anime girls outside of some minor side characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

thorsilver posted:

From a page or two back but this can't be emphasized enough. The music in Atelier in general is amazing but Ayesha in particular is fuckin lush.

The first thing I do in a new Atelier game is go to the music select and make sure the Ayesha tracks are all in rotation. Cause drat.

Also I wish more games had a music select like the Atelier games do. It's a loving great feature.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Aug 18, 2017