Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Civil posted:

I just got a Sensation, and while the hardware is truly excellent, the rom availability is kind of lovely. The XDA forum is a huge kangparty, with about 10 active Sense ROM's which all seem to be based off one another, MIUI that has several things non-functional (I use a2dp constantly), and a CM7 build that caused horrible battery drain.

I'm sticking with a Sense 3.5 rom with a horribly annoying set of boot animations (RCMix3d) because it has a percentage battery option, beats audio, and decent battery life, but I think at this point, my best bet is just to hold on a few months for an ICS rom.

If anyone else is on a sensation rom that they really like, I'd be happy to join you. I feel like I was kind of spoiled with my last couple phones (G2, MT4G), since almost every ROM I used on them was solid, especially CM7.

The ROM situation on the Sensation is hosed. According to kmobs the battery issue has been solved but we're all waiting on his latest update to 11 or 12 or whateverthefuck version he wants to call it.

I'd go back to Sense but after 48 hours there there are always input lag issues and it drives me up the god drat wall. The biggest problem I have with Sense ROMs on XDA is that they are all WWE based and require WWE radios which for one reason or another give me the world's worst loving signal and if I try to match PRL/RIL configurations to use a WWE ROM with a TMOUS radio I either get no signal or a god drat bootloop. If someone knows of a stripped down T-Mo ROM that works with the latest TMOUS radio (10.56.9035 10.14.9035) please link me because lately I've had less access to a charger throughout the day than I normally do and CM7's kang whatthefuckever version just isn't cutting it anymore.

Edit: gently caress XDA.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Nov 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Maker Of Shoes posted:

The ROM situation on the Sensation is hosed. According to kmobs the battery issue has been solved but we're all waiting on his latest update to 11 or 12 or whateverthefuck version he wants to call it.

I'd go back to Sense but after 48 hours there there are always input lag issues and it drives me up the god drat wall. The biggest problem I have with Sense ROMs on XDA is that they are all WWE based and require WWE radios which for one reason or another give me the world's worst loving signal and if I try to match PRL/RIL configurations to use a WWE ROM with a TMOUS radio I either get no signal or a god drat bootloop. If someone knows of a stripped down T-Mo ROM that works with the latest TMOUS radio (10.56.9035 10.14.9035) please link me because lately I've had less access to a charger throughout the day than I normally do and CM7's kang whatthefuckever version just isn't cutting it anymore.

Edit: gently caress XDA.

There's a tool whose name I've forgotten that allows you to take a stock rom and both root it and customize it using a GUI.

I'll try to find it, maybe that'll help?

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
I asked about my situation in the other Android thread, but after finding this thread I think I asked in the wrong place:

I'm trying to do as much as possible to unlock my original Motorola Droid from Verizon to use on Appalachian Wireless, the regional CDMA carrier, before I take it into their store and see if they can activate it.

Here's what I've done so far: rooted, flashed to Pete Sholes ROM, and used CDMA workshop to send the corolada.com PRL for Appalachian Wireless to the phone.

I'm completely new to smartphones but I've been reading XDA, Howards, and other forums to pick up the basics. Can anyone suggest other measures to take before I head over to the store?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

blargle posted:

A friend bricked his rooted HTC Incredible by booting into recovery while connected to the usb cable (apparently a no-no on that phone). The phone is S-ON, but recovery and main partitions are trashed, so I can't use adb/fastboot to flash a new recovery. I tried restoring back to factory by installing the PB31IMG.zip in HBOOT, but the phone still won't boot into anything but HBOOT. Verizon's telling him the phone is broken. Is this actually bricked, or can it be fixed somehow? Again, I can still get into the S-ON bootloader.

Just a suggestion, if the phone sees the PB31IMG.zip on the root if the SD it will always boot to hboot. Did you remove it after you let it boot and apply the zip?

blargle
Apr 3, 2007

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Just a suggestion, if the phone sees the PB31IMG.zip on the root if the SD it will always boot to hboot. Did you remove it after you let it boot and apply the zip?

Yes, it just goes to a black screen and vibrates 5 times. Will try the RUU method next.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

blargle posted:

Yes, it just goes to a black screen and vibrates 5 times. Will try the RUU method next.

5 vibrations is a really bad sign. My Inc did that out of the box, and the only instance I could find online of someone fixing it was a guy who manually edited the partition table to fix things (and the problem had been caused by doing that in the first place). That phone is unfortunately probably toast.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
The YouTube app now behaves like the iphone and automatically pauses if you lock the screen while playing a video. So you curiously can't use it as a music source just at the same time that Google Music comes to market. How odd.

Are there any root tricks to get around this limitation? I can see why they did it but I listen to obscure soundtracks and the like.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
YouTube has poo poo for music quality anyways, and you have to mess with your phone for every new song.

If it's on YouTube it's probably on amazon or eBay or itunes. If not then I dunno try that YouTube to mp3 poo poo?

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of surprised that there's nothing like ODIN or RSDLite for HTC phones. I'd think that there should always be some sort of PC-based tool for being able to factory-restore a phone.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

ProjektorBoy posted:

I'm kind of surprised that there's nothing like ODIN or RSDLite for HTC phones. I'd think that there should always be some sort of PC-based tool for being able to factory-restore a phone.

There are. RUUs...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
nVidia hates you.

https://plus.google.com/115049428938715274412/posts/KycR8ZjeUiS <- dude who has been developing CM7/9 for the Optimus line of phones.

quote:

OK, since so many people are asking: The reason I'm doing the OMAP devices first is because the fine folks at Texas Instruments have, as before, published their reference code. (and Google's current reference device, the SGN, is an OMAP4, which also helps considerably).

The Optimus 2X (and its TMoUS brother, the G2x) is a Tegra2, and nVidia has, as always, published a total amount of zero useful lines of code; at this point, my time is better employed at getting CM9 off the ground with devices in which I can write code than it would be at figuring out how the hell to support old tegra binaries. It'll happen, but not in the near future.

quote:

Yes, I've been in touch with nVidia, and they've been very nice about the whole thing, but it's... complicated.

And considering all the tegra-specific bits that should've gone into honeycomb and never made it to ICS, I suspect we don't stand much of a chance; if they weren't able to do that for AOSP, I don't see how it'll be done for us :\

Remember when everyone was all like "OMFG TEGRA2!"? :allears:

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I recently picked up an Evo to replace a broken Samsung Epic I had, and now I'm trying to install CM7 on the device. I got S-OFF with the revolutionary tool and installed a custom recovery (Amon-Ra, since the CM wiki suggested that) no problem. After that I wiped everything properly then flashed the CM7/Gapps zips and rebooted. I gave the phone like 20 minutes, but it appears to be stuck in a bootloop. After that I restored my nandroid, did eveything all over again, and the same problem. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Beet posted:

I recently picked up an Evo to replace a broken Samsung Epic I had, and now I'm trying to install CM7 on the device. I got S-OFF with the revolutionary tool and installed a custom recovery (Amon-Ra, since the CM wiki suggested that) no problem. After that I wiped everything properly then flashed the CM7/Gapps zips and rebooted. I gave the phone like 20 minutes, but it appears to be stuck in a bootloop. After that I restored my nandroid, did eveything all over again, and the same problem. Am I missing something? What am I doing wrong?
Honestly I don't see the problem but you're sure you wiped everything and you're sure you're flashing the right file?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Beet posted:

I'd say redownload cm7, could be a bum download.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I've got an Incredible, rooted with S-off and running stock Froyo. Now that my phone wants to insist I update (and I'm perfectly willing to), is there a dead-simple way to update to 2.3.4 without wiping the phone or permanently losing root?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

tzirean posted:

I've got an Incredible, rooted with S-off and running stock Froyo. Now that my phone wants to insist I update (and I'm perfectly willing to), is there a dead-simple way to update to 2.3.4 without wiping the phone or permanently losing root?
If you look back in the thread a few pages you'll find someone who was in the exact situation you're in. The update isn't great and it breaks a lot of people's phones, but others have no issues. The solutions posted will lead you to a way to either update preserving root or make the annoying notifications go away. You can even search just me if you'd like (? under my name) since I know I replied to the guy with links.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)
Have any of the more popular devs made any mention of what/if any of the new Verizon devices they'll be getting behind? It's pretty obvious that plenty will be working with the G'nex, but that still leaves the rezound/razr.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

LastInLine posted:

If you look back in the thread a few pages you'll find someone who was in the exact situation you're in. The update isn't great and it breaks a lot of people's phones, but others have no issues. The solutions posted will lead you to a way to either update preserving root or make the annoying notifications go away. You can even search just me if you'd like (? under my name) since I know I replied to the guy with links.

Hmm. I found the post about making it go away, but nothing about updating. I'll look back farther when I can, but I thought I'd gone back to when the OTA was released.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
https://plus.google.com/100275307499530023476/posts/hVw7ykmsvrx

cyanogen posted:

ICS on the Galaxy Tab 10.1 is pretty great. Coming soon to a CM mirror near you :)
God drat, that was fast.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Jesus, somehow I suspected Cyanogen could beat the actual ICS to the US market. Is that the only thing it's working on right now?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Zero VGS posted:

Jesus, somehow I suspected Cyanogen could beat the actual ICS to the US market. Is that the only thing it's working on right now?

There are various members in the CM team that have got it booted on all kinds of devices but they are still very much in the alpha state. IIRC Keyan has it booted on a Sensation and Ricardo has it booting on an Optimus Black/3D.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Have any of the more popular devs made any mention of what/if any of the new Verizon devices they'll be getting behind? It's pretty obvious that plenty will be working with the G'nex, but that still leaves the rezound/razr.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Between the Galaxy Nexus and the fact both the Razr and Rezound still have locked bootloaders I'm going to guess you're going to find very little support.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tzirean posted:

Get the rooted stock ROM from XDA?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Mark Larson posted:

Get the rooted stock ROM from XDA?

The only one I saw requires wiping the phone, which I was hoping to avoid.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

tzirean posted:

Considering the implications of using the stock Gingerbread ROM (aka, the update that's attempting to push itself) on the DINC, you're pretty much left with wiping as your only option.

Titanium Backup will be your greatest asset in the ROM switching process. Whether you end up on the pre-rooted stock OTA or go grab a sense-based custom ROM you can still move over and all of your apps/games can be restored with their settings/progress intact.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

ProjektorBoy posted:

Considering the implications of using the stock Gingerbread ROM (aka, the update that's attempting to push itself) on the DINC, you're pretty much left with wiping as your only option.

Titanium Backup will be your greatest asset in the ROM switching process. Whether you end up on the pre-rooted stock OTA or go grab a sense-based custom ROM you can still move over and all of your apps/games can be restored with their settings/progress intact.

Oh, if I'm going to wipe, I'm almost definitely going to install a custom ROM instead. I just wanted to save myself the bother if at all possible, since my upgrade's coming soon and I'm planning on a Nexus. If I can get Gingerbread running without a wipe, that's my preferred solution.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

tzirean posted:

I'd say make a backup then install the new ROM without wiping user data. It should work (its the most likely to work). If it doesn't, well you have a backup :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Just rooted my Atrix 4G, I was pleased by how easy the process was. Got Titanium Backup and AdFree, no real desire to try and install CM yet. Anyway, is there a widget or something I can install now to easily turn off just the radio? Previously I've just been hitting airplane mode and then turning wifi back on.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
Re: HTC Sensation Rom.

Have you guys tried Virtuous Sensation? I know it's Sense UI but the Virtuous team usually makes pretty good stuff when it's based off of an OTA or stock image.

I've used their version of the G2's OTA and Unity (after a few months from release) and both were pretty bug-free.

Doing some reading on their website, it looks like Unity finally has support for the MT4gSlide, so that guy whose wife is having issues you might try that out. Hopefully this also means that we'll finally see some progress on fixing the issues I reported for their Doubleshot Rom.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Maker Of Shoes posted:

nVidia hates you.

https://plus.google.com/115049428938715274412/posts/KycR8ZjeUiS &lt;- dude who has been developing CM7/9 for the Optimus line of phones.

Remember when everyone was all like "OMFG TEGRA2!"? :allears:

Fuuuuuck.... Having ICS on my 2X sure would have been nice :( loving hell, Nvidia.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Slopehead posted:

Have you guys tried Virtuous Sensation? I know it's Sense UI but the Virtuous team usually makes pretty good stuff when it's based off of an OTA or stock image.

I've used their version of the G2's OTA and Unity (after a few months from release) and both were pretty bug-free.

Doing some reading on their website, it looks like Unity finally has support for the MT4gSlide, so that guy whose wife is having issues you might try that out. Hopefully this also means that we'll finally see some progress on fixing the issues I reported for their Doubleshot Rom.

Yeah, that's my wife. I'll give that a shot in the next day or two. Such great hardware, a pity the stock rom is so lovely.

I might give virtuous a shot, but sense keeps bugging the hell out of me with its quirks. The rom I'm on is tying my contact addresses to some 3rd party navigation app rather than Google maps or navigation.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Slopehead posted:

Yes, and it didn't find my radio at all. I can't be arsed to mess with other radios and such which I didn't even know about before Maker of Shoes' post.

I'm just using the stock ROM rooted now until either CM9 drops or I throw my phone into a lake.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
A dude here at work tried to root his MyTouch4G (HTC Glacier) and bricked the ever-loving-gently caress out of it. Fortunately, I wasn't involved except saying that he'd need to get S-OFF before he goes installing ROMs or whatever. Now the son-of-a-bitching phone won't do a goddamn thing. Blank screen, no lights whatsoever. I tried mashing/holding every possible combination of buttons on it with it (both unplugged and plugged in) and it's more lifeless than a pet rock. Is there anything else I can try? He insists that the battery is charged and he had it plugged in the whole time he was breaking it. It's very likely that he didn't follow directions and hosed up somewhere along the line.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So I'm on an HTC Thunderbolt and I rooted to a Froyo build of BAMF well over 6 months ago when the TBolt first came out, haven't really changed it since.

Any other TBolt users have any suggestions on good ROMs for it now? I know CM7 is finally on it, might give that a try, but then I've also heard that there's a bunch of nice gingerbread ROMs... what do you guys all use? I poked around on XDA and it's a complete mess in terms of being able to compare builds and find the one that's got the main things I want.

Main things I need:

• Notifications pulldown having the toggles easily accessible for things like GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, etc.
  • A battery meter that shows me an exact percentage up top and ideally color-codes the bar based on percentage left, so under 30% is red, under 50 is yellow, something like that.
  • A clock/alarm/weather setup that's comparable to the original Sense setup on the Froyo build... I guess Sense 2.1 or better? Whatever, I just want a nice clock on the face.
  • At least 5 pages for my homescreen, with the ability to hit Home to get a tiled view and jump directly to a screen if I don't want to swipe across them.
  • A working camera... don't care so much about the front-facing vanity cam, mainly the back one.
  • A non-red/yellow/purple theme to it... ideally something blue or greenish.
  • Something that my current build doesn't have, but would be sick as gently caress... going back to the first bullet, a quick toggle like that to toggle 4G on and off so I don't have to constantly use LTE On/Off.

Anyone got a ROM that can swing all that?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 22, 2011

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW
I have a Samsung Captivate and want to root it but the drivers (I have tried literally everything) don't work for usb/windows 7 or at least not on my pc. Is there a way for me to root this phone safely without using a PC? I found something about booting the phone from an update file but wanted to ask here because I don't really trust random sites with the life of my phone.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Addendum to my above post:

I currently can get a solid 16-18 hours with the default battery and moderate to heavy usage... minimal usage I can get over 24 hours, easily. A ROM with similar battery life would be mint!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

Civil posted:

Yeah, that's my wife. I'll give that a shot in the next day or two. Such great hardware, a pity the stock rom is so lovely.

I might give virtuous a shot, but sense keeps bugging the hell out of me with its quirks. The rom I'm on is tying my contact addresses to some 3rd party navigation app rather than Google maps or navigation.

The irony here is that the Virtuous team ported the Sense rom of the MT4gSlide over to the G2 and I really like it. Dockable rosie is radical.

Shame about the instability, random reboots, and general halfassed porting work. I hope they get that poo poo fixed soon, it was a very promising rom.

Edit: My roommate actually has a MT4gSlide and has asked me a few times about making it "work better". Apparently the longer you have the phone on the laggier it gets.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...

Mosaic Perception posted:

I have a Samsung Captivate and want to root it but the drivers (I have tried literally everything) don't work for usb/windows 7 or at least not on my pc. Is there a way for me to root this phone safely without using a PC? I found something about booting the phone from an update file but wanted to ask here because I don't really trust random sites with the life of my phone.

Have you tried disabling UAT on your PC for the rooting process? Also make sure you have the right drivers. If Odin is involved, do you see the phone from Odin?

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

Mark Larson posted:

Have you tried disabling UAT on your PC for the rooting process? Also make sure you have the right drivers. If Odin is involved, do you see the phone from Odin?

Not sure what Odin is but as far as UAC I can't even get the drivers to install correctly and when I plug in my phone is just recognizes it then says it's been removed over and over. Have looked around and lots of other people seem to have the same issue with Samsung's drivers and 64 bit windows 7. There are fixes but they don't work for everyone and none work for me. I have an old XP laptop going to try to get it going on there but if not need to find an alternate way to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
Yeah Samsung isn't known for their quality software. Try XP or failing that, W7 32-bit. I did mine (Samsung Infuse) on an XP machine and it wasn't straightforward at all.