Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kafka Esq. posted:

It recognizes my device outside of the bootloader just fine.

It's different, the driver can be working for one but the other. Connect it in bootloader, delete the device, and then reinstall it with the latest Google driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
I found Nexus Root Toolkit and it worked perfectly to automate it all. That was frustrating.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Kafka Esq. posted:

I found Nexus Root Toolkit and it worked perfectly to automate it all. That was frustrating.

That's what I used to apply lollipop to my N72013 while I was playing battlefield 4. The whole process took 15 mins, plugged an usb stick with my titanium backups and poo poo was done in between jihad jeeps.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?

Kafka Esq. posted:

I have a couple of stupid questions about this process. I have a Nexus 5 that's currently rooted and running stock on 4.4.4. I'd like to upgrade to Lollipop but all the resources I've found say that I have to either de-root the device before accepting the OTA update OR sideload the Lollipop update. The websites also say that I have to re-unlock the bootloader which will format my device.

Is this correct? I thought that if I update to Lollipop all I'd have to do is just re-root since my bootloader is already unlocked, unless L relocks the bootloader? Also, how does the Chainfire autoroot work? After I've used it do I just install my own copy of TWRP and go from there?

Sorry about all the questions. I had no problem going from Jellybean --> Kitkat, but this Kitkat --> Lollipop process is really confusing me.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vasler posted:

I have a couple of stupid questions about this process. I have a Nexus 5 that's currently rooted and running stock on 4.4.4. I'd like to upgrade to Lollipop but all the resources I've found say that I have to either de-root the device before accepting the OTA update OR sideload the Lollipop update. The websites also say that I have to re-unlock the bootloader which will format my device.

Is this correct? I thought that if I update to Lollipop all I'd have to do is just re-root since my bootloader is already unlocked, unless L relocks the bootloader? Also, how does the Chainfire autoroot work? After I've used it do I just install my own copy of TWRP and go from there?

Sorry about all the questions. I had no problem going from Jellybean --> Kitkat, but this Kitkat --> Lollipop process is really confusing me.
You don't have to lock the bootloader.

You probably won't be able to sideload the update and go that way but it's the first thing I'd try. Just download it and adb sideload it and if it works, great.

If not just download the image and manually fastboot flash the bootloader.img (then restart the bootloader), the radio.img, the boot.img, and the system.img without a wipe all in that order.

You can root either with the CF-autoroot to do the kernel mod or with SuperSU beta 2.27 which doesn't require a modified kernel but will require you to flash a recovery. CF-autoroot just runs in fastboot, not the recovery.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004

LastInLine posted:

You don't have to lock the bootloader.

You probably won't be able to sideload the update and go that way but it's the first thing I'd try. Just download it and adb sideload it and if it works, great.

If not just download the image and manually fastboot flash the bootloader.img (then restart the bootloader), the radio.img, the boot.img, and the system.img without a wipe all in that order.

You can root either with the CF-autoroot to do the kernel mod or with SuperSU beta 2.27 which doesn't require a modified kernel but will require you to flash a recovery. CF-autoroot just runs in fastboot, not the recovery.

Thanks for the help. I have to admit, for whatever reason this whole process makes me feel like a complete idiot. I do have a couple more questions about this process though. Do I need to unroot my phone before loading the Lollipop bootloader and other files? Second, this process won't wipe my device, correct? I'll make a backup before I do it but I'm still curious. Third, once I've completed the CF-autoroot process is it necessary to install TWRP? From what I've read the autoroot doesn't install a custom recovery, is that correct?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vasler posted:

Thanks for the help. I have to admit, for whatever reason this whole process makes me feel like a complete idiot. I do have a couple more questions about this process though. Do I need to unroot my phone before loading the Lollipop bootloader and other files?
No.

Vasler posted:

Second, this process won't wipe my device, correct? I'll make a backup before I do it but I'm still curious.
The process won't wipe your device but dirty flashes have caused the status and notification bars to become non-functional. You can try using ADB to invoke the first-run wizard but reports on that working are mixed. If it fails, you'll need to wipe everything.

Vasler posted:

Third, once I've completed the CF-autoroot process is it necessary to install TWRP? From what I've read the autoroot doesn't install a custom recovery, is that correct?
You are correct, it will not flash a recovery. Unless you plan to start flashing more things you don't need it. Personally I'd use beta since it doesn't require a modified kernel and some things (Nova Launcher) looks specifically for the beta. To do the beta you will need a recovery and at present TWRP is the only one. I've seen bad, bad things come from using TWRP but stick to the basics and it should be fine.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

I want to say that you're wrong and these require an unlocked bootloader but now you're making me doubt myself. Is it only "fastboot update" that requires it to be unlocked?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

I want to say that you're wrong and these require an unlocked bootloader but now you're making me doubt myself. Is it only "fastboot update" that requires it to be unlocked?
No you're correct but he has an unlocked bootloader. He asked if if he'd have to relock it here:

Vasler posted:

The websites also say that I have to re-unlock the bootloader which will format my device.

Is this correct? I thought that if I update to Lollipop all I'd have to do is just re-root since my bootloader is already unlocked

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Unlocking/locking your bootloader after the very first time doesn't wipe your device anyways, just use BootUnlocker.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
The method LastInLine described seems to jive more of with my understanding and I can handle doing it without much of a problem. I think the reason I was initially confused is because I read this website on xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/how-to-download-flash-android-5-0-t2937941) which has you download the factory image and flash the whole thing using the "flash-all.bat" command, which installs Lollipop and formats the device. The tone of that post makes it seem like it is the only valid way to do things. I couldn't really find any other threads describing the update then root process so the whole thing left me really confused. Thanks for your help, guys.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vasler posted:

The method LastInLine described seems to jive more of with my understanding and I can handle doing it without much of a problem. I think the reason I was initially confused is because I read this website on xda (http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/how-to-download-flash-android-5-0-t2937941) which has you download the factory image and flash the whole thing using the "flash-all.bat" command, which installs Lollipop and formats the device. The tone of that post makes it seem like it is the only valid way to do things. I couldn't really find any other threads describing the update then root process so the whole thing left me really confused. Thanks for your help, guys.
Correct, the flash-all script will wipe everything but if you open the script you'll find all the commands you need to do:

flash-all posted:

fastboot flash bootloader bootloader-hammerhead-hhz12d.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
sleep 5
fastboot flash radio radio-hammerhead-m8974a-2.0.50.2.21.img
fastboot reboot-bootloader
sleep 5
fastboot -w update image-hammerhead-lrx21o.zip

See that -w in the command to flash the update.zip? That's the command to wipe everything.

If you open the zip you get more granular, with a boot.img, recovery.img, and system.img. You just use the same commands in fastboot:

fastboot flash [thing] [thing.img]

Just drop them in your platform-tools and do it in the order bootloader, reboot bootloader, radio, boot, system. You don't need to flash the recovery for obvious reasons unless you just love flashing recoveries.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I've seen bad, bad things come from using TWRP but stick to the basics and it should be fine.

Like what?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Bearing in mind that I've never had the things happen to me because I've never personally used it, but I've seen it wipe IMEIs which make the device mostly useless.

I'm also opposed to it just on principle. You don't need much in a recovery and you certainly you don't need everything they put in there. It's needless complication for no perceivable gain.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

LastInLine posted:

Bearing in mind that I've never had the things happen to me because I've never personally used it, but I've seen it wipe IMEIs which make the device mostly useless.

I'm also opposed to it just on principle. You don't need much in a recovery and you certainly you don't need everything they put in there. It's needless complication for no perceivable gain.

Until you posted that, I thought one recovery was the same as another, more or less. Do you know what triggers the IMEI wipe? I've been using TWRP :ohdear:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Mooktastical posted:

Until you posted that, I thought one recovery was the same as another, more or less. Do you know what triggers the IMEI wipe? I've been using TWRP :ohdear:

The IMEI data is held in a file on the internal sdcard somewhere. Typically this section is hidden from the user and is read-only. Recoveries like TWRP can access this folder, and either wipe it out, or remount it as writable, and then it or something else wipes it.

There's a decent number of instances on XDA where flashing a poorly coded ROM or some manner of CJing wiped that information, thus rendering the phone unable to use a cellular network. A lot of ROMs attempt to back that information up, but typically they do not since they are very poor quality. Once that data is gone, I'm not aware of any way to restore it, even if you have the IMEI number from the box or something. It's really bad.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

The IMEI data is held in a file on the internal sdcard somewhere. Typically this section is hidden from the user and is read-only. Recoveries like TWRP can access this folder, and either wipe it out, or remount it as writable, and then it or something else wipes it.

There's a decent number of instances on XDA where flashing a poorly coded ROM or some manner of CJing wiped that information, thus rendering the phone unable to use a cellular network. A lot of ROMs attempt to back that information up, but typically they do not since they are very poor quality. Once that data is gone, I'm not aware of any way to restore it, even if you have the IMEI number from the box or something. It's really bad.

Yeah I googled it after that post. I couldn't find anything that was TWRP specific, though. Still, a great reason to avoid flashing custom ROMs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The first one I remember they did it to was the original Galaxy S/Nexus S. To be fair it wasn't entirely their fault as Samsung was dumb and made the /efs folder writeable but Clockworkmod didn't wipe it so a choice was made somewhere. There have been a few instances here or there were this beta or that build did the same thing in exactly the way SIR FAT JONY IVES describes, probably triggered when the user picked some arcane setting for a backup and restore but that gets back to my point which is that the user shouldn't have to pick what the format for their backup is or what's included in it or whether it's getting all the right things, it should just do it. The fact that all these options are included at all is why they're all not checked on every version update and why, from time to time, they have a destructive problem.

If you're spending so much time in recovery that you need wallpaper support and custom fonts, you've got worse problems than just the color choices.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Is the Note 4 rootable? USC is apparently not getting the Nexus 6 until early 2015 now (according to my local store), and I need to upgrade tomorrow. I only want to root (not flash an alternate rom or recovery) so that I can run adblock and use Titanium Backup to transfer my apps and settings.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Is the Note 4 rootable? USC is apparently not getting the Nexus 6 until early 2015 now (according to my local store), and I need to upgrade tomorrow. I only want to root (not flash an alternate rom or recovery) so that I can run adblock and use Titanium Backup to transfer my apps and settings.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/note-4/orig-development/sm-n910-cf-auto-root-t2897428

Yeah, it is. They had it out "before" release date from t-mobile sending theirs out early I believe.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Depends on carrier. AT&T and Verizon variants are currently hosed. :(

Edit : I'm an idiot and the words "USC" didn't register in my feeble brain as being your carrier : US Cellular. You're fine.

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Got a fresh Samsung Galaxy S3 rooted but I'm running into some issues installing Cyanogen. Are there some good alternitives for "older" devices?

My paticular problem is defined as 'assert failed getprop(ro.bootloader)' which from what I can determine means the built in Rom compatibility check is failing. It looks like you can disable this but I'm slighty worried there was some kind of firmware update for my phones antenna which is making it fail this check. Not sure if I should proceed with forcing the Rom.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chunjee posted:

Got a fresh Samsung Galaxy S3 rooted but I'm running into some issues installing Cyanogen. Are there some good alternitives for "older" devices?

My paticular problem is defined as 'assert failed getprop(ro.bootloader)' which from what I can determine means the built in Rom compatibility check is failing. It looks like you can disable this but I'm slighty worried there was some kind of firmware update for my phones antenna which is making it fail this check. Not sure if I should proceed with forcing the Rom.

Try installing an older version of CM first, and then updating to a current one.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
So I just installed the latest superSU from the play store. I already had superSU installed from the auto CF root tool that used the kernel root method. Now I have two superSU icons in my app launcher, both open to the same 2.35 version. How do I get rid of the extra icon and do I need to flash the stock kernel?

Edit: Fixed the double icon issue by uninstalling both and installing from the play store. Do I need to flash the original kernel to get ready for the next OTA?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 27, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

So I just installed the latest superSU from the play store. I already had superSU installed from the auto CF root tool that used the kernel root method. Now I have two superSU icons in my app launcher, both open to the same 2.35 version. How do I get rid of the extra icon and do I need to flash the stock kernel?

Edit: Fixed the double icon issue by uninstalling both and installing from the play store. Do I need to flash the original kernel to get ready for the next OTA?
The next OTA will fail because you're rooted.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Chunjee posted:

AOKP is still performing well on my AT&T S3, I'd go so far as to say it's faster than a Nexus 6 :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

LastInLine posted:

This. I don't know if you can fix it by unrooting, either, since OTA updates are usually delta-patch affairs.

Also: For at least the past few months, CyanogenMod for the Galaxy S III has required the updated modem and bootloader. Yes, both. You can actually kill the phone beyond Samsung's ability to fix (not that they would, natch) if you try to run without them at the same build level. I think that's why the dude brought up some XDA rando's firmware update pack a few pages ago - if you do something like that make drat sure they match what the official Samsung files are, not so much because you probably don't want your device backdoored, especially from the firmware up (although yes there is that) but because you don't want the phone to reject it, because that can screw you too.

You might be able to find a factory or close-enough-to-it image somewhere, but be careful because see above - flashing a backdated version of the stock OS will still brick the phone hard enough that you'll need fun with exotic SD card images to recover, but you might get lucky and not ruin it.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Nov 27, 2014

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

drat

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/11/13/psa-new-lollipop-ota-procedure-means-update-will-fail-system-modified-way/

edit: I have a nexus 5. How are updates going to be handled in the future for rooted devices?

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Nov 27, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Nexus users can always just grab a factory image from Google and shove it on there. By default it'll wipe everything but you can generally flash each partition piecemeal to avoid that. You'd have to re-root, but command-line walkthroughs and toolkits that are both useful and not obnoxious about begging for money are in deep supply.

Ironically these are usually the easiest to dick around with custom ROMs, possibly because they're the least in need of them.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
When the time comes I think I'll try unrooting, applying update, then applying root again. Shouldn't be a problem as long as the bootloader remains unlocked.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

When the time comes I think I'll try unrooting, applying update, then applying root again. Shouldn't be a problem as long as the bootloader remains unlocked.
Obviously it's not a problem as long as the bootloader is unlocked but you're probably going to end up doing as Sir Unimaginative said, you'll be flashing each component in fastboot in turn.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I am now rolling on my note 4. I think I'm going to attempt to nest for a while without rooting and see how I cope. At worst I'll see some ads and no lockscreen widgets I guess.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So anyone have a ROM recommendation for a first gen Kindle Fire HD 7"? I like the default Amazon nonsense, actually, but I want the Play store and other utilities, so it's about time to just take the plunge.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Yep, not rooting the note. All of the nitpicks rooting would let me fix are not that bad. Only annoying thing is ads.

Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.
If you were an iPhone user and your girlfriend had an old Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate that is having problems and the best thing to do next before tossing the phone completely would be to install some Android custom ROM, what would you install? What's the best/simplest one? It looks like Cyanogenmod or Carbon but I'm all iPhone and don't know anything about Android.

Edit: Oh my god this is all the most confusing thing I've ever seen. Is there a simple step by step guide somewhere that doesn't assume you know what a cwm or an adb or a whatever is?!

Brother Larry fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 28, 2014

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Brother Larry posted:

If you were an iPhone user and your girlfriend had an old Samsung Galaxy Exhilarate that is having problems and the best thing to do next before tossing the phone completely would be to install some Android custom ROM, what would you install? What's the best/simplest one? It looks like Cyanogenmod or Carbon but I'm all iPhone and don't know anything about Android.

Edit: Oh my god this is all the most confusing thing I've ever seen. Is there a simple step by step guide somewhere that doesn't assume you know what a cwm or an adb or a whatever is?!
I can't help you because I'm a Nexus user and not a Samsunger but your first instinct is right: chuck that piece of poo poo and get her something better. You definitely don't want to start flashing ROMs trying to make an old phone usable.

Un-l337-Pork
Sep 9, 2001

Oooh yeah...

Brother Larry posted:

Not that I know of. I'm assuming that you found http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_exhilarate It's really not that bad if you just set aside an hour or so, but it will require you to install the Android SDK (which installs the adb tool). If you follow the directions, it will almost certainly work.

If you're not comfortable doing that, you probably don't want to do this. Just spend the $99 or whatever for a better phone (do this anyway).

But there is nothing I know of that is like the old iPhone jailbreaks where you could just go to a website.

Brother Larry
Dec 11, 2000
I have naked pictures of my girlfriend but I'm too whipped to share them with you.

Un-l337-Pork posted:

Not that I know of. I'm assuming that you found http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_exhilarate It's really not that bad if you just set aside an hour or so, but it will require you to install the Android SDK (which installs the adb tool). If you follow the directions, it will almost certainly work.

I found that, but it assumes a tremendous amount of previous knowledge, and every step I take down the rabbit hole there's more confusing acronyms and assumptions of previous knowledge. I'm technology proficient and this is really madness.

For example:

quote:

Boot to recovery mode, and connect the phone to your computer through USB.

In ClockworkMod Recovery,

- Don't I need to be rooted first? How do I root this? The rooting stuff in the OP has links that are "install these ten million other acronyms and FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T YOU DARE DO ANY OF THESE THIRTEEN STEPS THAT WILL DESTROY ALL OF THE PHONES YOUR FAMILY WILL EVER OWN (but we're not going to explain them)" and then it's outdated by a year and I don't know what version of anything to use.
- How do I get to ClockworkMod Recovery? The web site is just a thing about a bunch of different tools, none of which are Recovery. All attempts to search for this are either a link back to this site or a huge list of confusing links.
- What does it mean to "download the 3rd party Google Apps" - where do those go once I download them?

In case you can't feel my gratitude spilling over into your lap through the internet, allow me to resolve that now with a fat THANK YOU that creates feelings of post-coital satisfaction in your brain.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Brother Larry posted:

I found that, but it assumes a tremendous amount of previous knowledge, and every step I take down the rabbit hole there's more confusing acronyms and assumptions of previous knowledge. I'm technology proficient and this is really madness.

For example:

- Don't I need to be rooted first? How do I root this? The rooting stuff in the OP has links that are "install these ten million other acronyms and FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T YOU DARE DO ANY OF THESE THIRTEEN STEPS THAT WILL DESTROY ALL OF THE PHONES YOUR FAMILY WILL EVER OWN (but we're not going to explain them)" and then it's outdated by a year and I don't know what version of anything to use.
- How do I get to ClockworkMod Recovery? The web site is just a thing about a bunch of different tools, none of which are Recovery. All attempts to search for this are either a link back to this site or a huge list of confusing links.
- What does it mean to "download the 3rd party Google Apps" - where do those go once I download them?

In case you can't feel my gratitude spilling over into your lap through the internet, allow me to resolve that now with a fat THANK YOU that creates feelings of post-coital satisfaction in your brain.
Okay, that guide isn't great. It doesn't tell you how to get Clockworkmod Recovery (CWR) on to your device which obviously doesn't help you since you can't do step one.

This is CWR 6.0.1.4 for the i577. You'll need Odin to push it to your device, which you can get here.

I don't see where the i577 is a CM-supported device as I can't find CWR builds for the device, nor is it listed on get.cm. The only thing I can find is a community compiled CM 10.2 (aka Jelly Bean 4.3) nightly build for it on xda. Not that CM Stable builds are actually stable, but nightly builds are definitely not stable.

CM can't package Google Apps (GApps) with their builds so you'll need to download those separately and you can do that here.

I'm assuming you're on Windows and if you're not god help you because then you have to use the open source alternative to Odin which is some other ancient god name I don't remember. I hear it sucks. Of course that means you have to get the ADB drivers to work to sideload ZIPs to flash but we can get around that by putting the ZIPs on the SD card.

Anyway you'll need to download the latest nightly (it will be ZIP) and the GApps (another ZIP) and drop those on the SD card. Then follow these instructions which I found on how to get the phone into Odin mode:

quote:

II) How to enter ODIN Mode:
For the Exhilarate I've found it's best to use this sequence:
1) Power phone down
2) Plug the USB cable into your computer (do not plug the phone into the USB cable yet).
3) While pushing and holding both the vol up and vol down buttons, plug the phone into the computer. As soon as you see "SAMSUNG" flash and then dissappear, release the buttons.
4) Phone should boot into ODIN mode.
5) Odin will launch on your computer. It should show, in the first box under ID:COM, a port in yellow. Mine was Port 5. This means you have successfully connected to your phone.
6) Click the button in ODIN labeled "PDA", and then browse to the .tar file you downloaded above and then select "Open". The file will show up next to the PDA button.
7) Make sure that "Re-Partition" is NOT checked!
8) Reboot the phone into recovery mode: While pushing and holding both the vol up and vol down buttons, push the power button. As soon as you see "SAMSUNG" flash, release the buttons. You shouldn't need to have the phone connected to the computer this time. The phone will boot into CWM recovery.

9) using either: the "menu" button to move down and the "home" button to move your selection up; or alternately the volume down button to move down, and the volume up button to move up: highlight "install zip from sdcard". Use the "search" button or power button to select/enter.
10) highlight "choose zip from sdcard" and press the "seach" button to select it.

You'll see I left a space between steps 8 and 9. Right there you're going to want to do two things. One, you're going to want to make a backup. I haven't had a device with an SD card in years but those used to be stored on the SD card when I did. Make the backup and for Christ's sake make sure it's on the SD card before the next thing.

The next thing is to wipe everything in recovery. Everything except the SD card of course. Once you do this there is no going back if you don't have that backup.

Then do steps 9 and 10.

Choose the CM ZIP, flash it, then do the GApps ZIP. Then reboot and hope for the best.

I can almost guarantee this will not go easily for you but as I've never used a Samsung device I can't tell you where you might have problems nor can I help when it does turn south. That being said I understand everything the instructions say and having done similar things to Nexus devices I know that it should work.

That's the best set of "here's everything in one place" you're likely to find for this device. Good luck and godspeed.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I haven't messed with rooting in a couple years, but now I need to backup my wife's app data since Lollipop really hosed up her 2012 Nexus 7 and I'm going to do a factory reset.

She's got data from several apps that have known problems with Helium, so I guess I'm going to use Titanium backup.

So, what's the right way to go about getting the 2012 N7 rooted so I can backup her poo poo?