Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm not liking the new root scene. SuperSU has been sold to some unknown company. With marshmallow you have to load some unknown kernel before rooting. Anyone else worried about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

I'm not liking the new root scene. SuperSU has been sold to some unknown company. With marshmallow you have to load some unknown kernel before rooting. Anyone else worried about this?

It doesn't look good, though Chainfire will be working on SuperSU for the next couple years. As it is though you're right, I can't find a kernel I'd trust for my Nexus 5 and I'm currently unrooted for the first time in a long time.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

wolrah posted:

If you (or any employer controlling accounts you may have configured on your device) have legitimate reason to believe that someone might want to get the data stored there you might want to think twice.
:tinfoil: What about the government? :tinfoil:

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LastInLine posted:

It doesn't look good, though Chainfire will be working on SuperSU for the next couple years. As it is though you're right, I can't find a kernel I'd trust for my Nexus 5 and I'm currently unrooted for the first time in a long time.

For a Nexus device specifically, you can build AOSP from source and flash it fully Google-approved and not worry about that kind of poo poo, surely.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

feedmegin posted:

For a Nexus device specifically, you can build AOSP from source and flash it fully Google-approved and not worry about that kind of poo poo, surely.
Do you really think most people have the knowledge to produce a flashable custom build of AOSP with permissive SELinux? Even for users with a high level of general technical knowledge, this is absolutely non-trivial. And to call this "Google approved" is stretching things a little.

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001
What with Android Pay not working on rooted phones, and the inability to take OTAs now, rooting is becoming quite cumbersome. I'll miss being able to use my notification led on my nexus 6, but that's acceptable. Ads are not acceptable; what's the recommended practice for ad-blocking on an unrooted phone?

I saw adblock plus which operates an on device proxy and that looks like the best way to go so far. But I do not like the "acceptable ads" direction adblock plus is going.
I'm aware of adblock browser and firefox with ublock, but those only handle browser ads. I want to block in-app ads as well.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

5TonsOfFlax posted:

What with Android Pay not working on rooted phones, and the inability to take OTAs now, rooting is becoming quite cumbersome. I'll miss being able to use my notification led on my nexus 6, but that's acceptable. Ads are not acceptable; what's the recommended practice for ad-blocking on an unrooted phone?

I saw adblock plus which operates an on device proxy and that looks like the best way to go so far. But I do not like the "acceptable ads" direction adblock plus is going.
I'm aware of adblock browser and firefox with ublock, but those only handle browser ads. I want to block in-app ads as well.
What apps are you currently using that have ads?

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

Zom Aur posted:

What apps are you currently using that have ads?

I don't know, I've been blocking them for so long. Also, future apps I may install (flavor of the week games, etc).

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

For you N5 users, I found an xda guy who just puts out rootable kernels with none of the other garbage. He doesn't have one up for the release version but the Dev Preview 3 version works for now. Remember that you need the beta SuperSU, the stable 2.46 version won't work.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

For you N5 users, I found an xda guy who just puts out rootable kernels with none of the other garbage. He doesn't have one up for the release version but the Dev Preview 3 version works for now. Remember that you need the beta SuperSU, the stable 2.46 version won't work.

Link to original thread at xda?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

Link to original thread at xda?

Dude mentions it offhand about halfway through the OP.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
N5 running Lollipop, I've somehow run out of space in /system while getting xposed updated.

Looking at it from TWRP I've only got a few MB left but I can't see where the space is going. I moved xposed-originals.tgz to /data so I have 2MB free but Android keeps complaining about low space even though I've got 11GB free.

Any ideas?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

N5 running Lollipop, I've somehow run out of space in /system while getting xposed updated.

Looking at it from TWRP I've only got a few MB left but I can't see where the space is going. I moved xposed-originals.tgz to /data so I have 2MB free but Android keeps complaining about low space even though I've got 11GB free.

Any ideas?

Install this and use it on /system.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

Install this and use it on /system.

Tried it and nothing really jumps out at me:

I did uninstall xposed then reinstall it due to getting weird errors when trying to install the zip. It took 20-30 minutes to "optimize" apps, since then the message has gone away so I guess I'm okay?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Oct 6, 2015

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ashex posted:

Tried it and nothing really jumps out at me:

I did uninstall xposed then reinstall it due to getting weird errors when trying to install the zip. It took 20-30 minutes to "optimize" apps, since then the message has gone away so I guess I'm okay?

Nothing leaps out at me either but if it's working I guess you're okay.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Here's the Marshmallow root situation right now:

You still need a modified kernel (linked to in the xda post in that article) and you still need a beta version of SuperSU but now it's 2.50. Also if you flash that modified kernel on an encrypted device (like the N6 & N9 are by default) it will factory reset the phone.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf

LastInLine posted:

Here's the Marshmallow root situation right now:

You still need a modified kernel (linked to in the xda post in that article) and you still need a beta version of SuperSU but now it's 2.50. Also if you flash that modified kernel on an encrypted device (like the N6 & N9 are by default) it will factory reset the phone.

How trustworthy are these kernels and superSU app? It was fine before when it was just chainfire but now he sold out to some company what are they going to do? Who checks that the kernel is legit and doesn't have backdoors galore?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

r0ck0 posted:

How trustworthy are these kernels and superSU app? It was fine before when it was just chainfire but now he sold out to some company what are they going to do? Who checks that the kernel is legit and doesn't have backdoors galore?

You can trust Chainfire which is to say that if you don't you might as well not root at all as he's the only game in town.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Trusting Chainfire doesn't much matter now that he's sold SuperSU.

At this point it seems like it's pretty much straight-cash-stock or wait for CyanogenMod to do its thing. Ugh.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
So I just got off the phone with a level 2 tech in response to a network ticket I filed a week ago, indicating good-great signal strength -92db to -112db and not being able to use mobile data, send/receive MMS and having no phone calls ring in, but receive a voicemail notification afterward. She reviewed all the notes from the network ticket and then has this epiphany "Ohhhhhhhh I see whats going on now.. Your phone is rooted"

I should have just said "Yes, it is in fact rooted." but panic denied and got lectured about how running an unauthorized operating system blah blah blah blah.

I'm slightly concerned that there is clearly a Verizon service that allows them to check, in fact I'm almost certain now that it was the My Verizon app that requested su access once when I opened it, which of course I denied. Is there anything else in the stock image that would allow them to see if a device was rooted? Because after all that shaming she then rattled off all the apps I've installed since I opened the trouble ticket.

I'm not very thrilled with Verizon right now.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SeaborneClink posted:

I'm almost certain now that it was the My Verizon app that requested su access once when I opened it, which of course I denied.
The great thing about root detection is that you can detect that it exists regardless of what the user presses on this prompt!

Also, wow, that's some pretty nasty data tracking they have going on there.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Just wait till you call comcast and they say "oh, sorry we cannot help if you have root access on your PC."

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So I have an AT&T LG G3, currently on the 5.01 firmware. From doing some google searching I saw two ways of rooting my phone currently, using towelroot v3, and using a USB debugging method. Towelroot seems easier, but I don't want to brick my phone.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

r0ck0 posted:

Just wait till you call comcast and they say "oh, sorry we cannot help if you have root access on your PC."

They already basically do this. The number of times I've had to lie to ISP techs and pretend I'm using a Windows machine just to get them to troubleshoot their broken poo poo...

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Fat_Cow posted:

So I have an AT&T LG G3, currently on the 5.01 firmware. From doing some google searching I saw two ways of rooting my phone currently, using towelroot v3, and using a USB debugging method. Towelroot seems easier, but I don't want to brick my phone.
I'm pretty sure stump and towel can't root the Lollipop G3; they were only working on 4.4.x. You might be able to use this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/guide-root-lg-firmwares-kitkat-lollipop-t3056951

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Syrinxx posted:

I'm pretty sure stump and towel can't root the Lollipop G3; they were only working on 4.4.x. You might be able to use this tool: http://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-g3/general/guide-root-lg-firmwares-kitkat-lollipop-t3056951

Did that everything correctly, phone rebooted and it just didn't root. Don't wanna rollback to do it either. Oh well

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

Tunga posted:

The great thing about root detection is that you can detect that it exists regardless of what the user presses on this prompt!

Also, wow, that's some pretty nasty data tracking they have going on there.

It is, and the response of "oh you have root" is only made more infuriating by the fact that Verizon retails the Nexus 6.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I mean, I completely empathize with them from a support standpoint. With a stock OS they know what's normal and what isn't, but with a rooted device god knows what kind of stupid poo poo the user or rom developer modified in the name of "performance". It's not worth their time trying to figure out the billions of ways an idiot wrecked their phone because they wanted to be a "power user". There's just too many variables.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
As for the situation from rooted Marshmallow, there's something going on with filesystem permissions which is annoy me, because it's stopping me from dicking with system files and breaking my phone.

I trust ElementalX kernel and its dev, and Chainfire seems to still be the one pushing out betas. He also provides a boot.img that preserves SELinux enforcement, which I've used, since I was making such a fuss about it.

It's just as bad as using a hacked boot to set it permissive, I guess. It's also probably why I'm having permission problems. I have no idea what I'm doing. :saddowns:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ArcMage posted:

As for the situation from rooted Marshmallow, there's something going on with filesystem permissions which is annoy me, because it's stopping me from dicking with system files and breaking my phone.

I trust ElementalX kernel and its dev, and Chainfire seems to still be the one pushing out betas. He also provides a boot.img that preserves SELinux enforcement, which I've used, since I was making such a fuss about it.

It's just as bad as using a hacked boot to set it permissive, I guess. It's also probably why I'm having permission problems. I have no idea what I'm doing. :saddowns:

Works fine here but I'm not trying to do dumb things. What are you trying to do?

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
I have a Galaxy Tab 3 that I rooted using Odin 3.07. It's running Android 4.2.2.

Should I be able to add other ROMS to the device or do I need to update the OS, then re-root, as the ROMS are incompatible with 4.2.2?

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Koppite posted:

I have a Galaxy Tab 3 that I rooted using Odin 3.07. It's running Android 4.2.2.

Should I be able to add other ROMS to the device or do I need to update the OS, then re-root, as the ROMS are incompatible with 4.2.2?

I think you are a little confused? You don't "add other roms" so much as replace your existing OS entirely with a new one. Most custom ROMs are pre-rooted, fwiw.

It's been a long time since I've been samsung'd and I'm not familiar with the tab3 and its rom scene at all so perhaps I'm missing something in this?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe he's trying to play pirated console games. Did you consider that?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe he's trying to play pirated console games. Did you consider that?

Maybe he's trying to add external CD-ROMs and DVD-ROM. Did you consider that?

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Man, I've been using my N5 rooted since the day I got it, and rooted my GNex before it when I realized Verizon was going to gently caress with my OTA updates.

I took a look on my phone and realized I.. don't really use root for all that much these days. A few Tasker scripts, GravityBox, and blocking ads via my hosts file.

I wonder if I would even miss it. I'm still sitting on 4.4.4 since I got lazy waiting for GravityBox to hit 5.0. Maybe I should just go ahead and go back to running unrooted stock, at least once PAD has support for 6.0.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I wonder if I would even miss it. I'm still sitting on 4.4.4 since I got lazy waiting for GravityBox to hit 5.0. Maybe I should just go ahead and go back to running unrooted stock, at least once PAD has support for 6.0.

I wondered the same thing when I flashed my n5 to 6.0 and after a day of no light flow, no better battery stats and 'holy crap half my apps are stupid ads' I dealt with re-rooting.

Did the n6 today and just rooted it right away.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blitter posted:

I wondered the same thing when I flashed my n5 to 6.0 and after a day of no light flow, no better battery stats and 'holy crap half my apps are stupid ads' I dealt with re-rooting.

Did the n6 today and just rooted it right away.

Light Flow on the N5 works just fine without root, or at least it should.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If your apps have ads your apps are bads.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

RZA Encryption posted:

If your apps have ads your apps are bads.

Agreed, either get ad-free alternatives or pay up, for the the web there's Firefox and uBlock Origin, and Lightflow works without root.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Grim Up North posted:

Agreed, either get ad-free alternatives or pay up, for the the web there's Firefox and uBlock Origin, and Lightflow works without root.

Or Ghostery Browser. Or Lightning Browser (uses the Chromium browser embedded in Android).

Both block ads nicely.