Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

e X posted:

So, after years of solid my 2012 Nexus went the way of all mortal things and I replaced it with a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active SM-T365. Problem is, I am not a huge fan of all the Samsung crap that comes with their Android version, so my question is, what is a good alternative rom I could use? I had cyanogen on my Nexus 7, but there doesn't seem to be a version of it that works with the my Samsung model.

Dehumanize yourself and face to Touchwiz because there's probably not a whole lot you can do with that thing unless you want to spend hours of your life delving through XDA forum posts and installing software that will probably brick the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How much do you need the LTE functionality? It seems to me that the best solution would be to take it back and buy a discounted Pixel C instead.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

nimper posted:

Dehumanize yourself and face to Touchwiz because there's probably not a whole lot you can do with that thing unless you want to spend hours of your life delving through XDA forum posts and installing software that will probably brick the tablet.

Is the Touchwiz that ingrained in the device?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

e X posted:

Is the Touchwiz that ingrained in the device?

Yes.

But mostly it's because nobody develops for the LTE model so maybe you should follow Tunga's advice and get a different tablet.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Oh, man. I finally got around to flashing a Google Play Edition ROM to my M7 to get from Android 5.0.2 to 5.1, and let me tell you that things are smooth as butter.

It was really burning my rear end, but there's something very appropriate how HTC ended their journey with the M7 by leaving most but not all of them on a comparatively unstable release which was otherwise immediately succeeded by a huge maintenance update. Assholes.

I'm making a project out of it; if I see that it's essentially a functional not-arbitrarily-slow phone again, I'm going to order a new camera module and body (in the sweet red finish that wasn't available on stock Verizon models) and do myself a little refurbish.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Didnt somebody say that it was easier to install fastboot on a mac because you dont need to gently caress around with the drivers? I feel like on mac that has been replaced by installing 200 different versions of java to get android studio to work. Or am I doing it wrong, probably.

edit: never mind found this http://forum.xda-developers.com/general/general/tool-nexus-tools-2-8-featured-xda-t3258661 which just installs fastboot and adb

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 22, 2016

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

track day bro! posted:

Didnt somebody say that it was easier to install fastboot on a mac because you dont need to gently caress around with the drivers? I feel like on mac that has been replaced by installing 200 different versions of java to get android studio to work. Or am I doing it wrong, probably.
At the bottom of the download page there is an installer that only includes the SDK, that is the one you want, pick the correct OS obviously.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Tunga posted:

At the bottom of the download page there is an installer that only includes the SDK, that is the one you want, pick the correct OS obviously.

:doh: didnt see that at all!

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Hm. I was doing the three most recent updates for my rooted Nexus 5x, one at a time, in order, because I'd fallen behind. First one went through fine, but after the second one, when I went into TWRP to flash SuperSU, it refuses to accept my pattern and just keeps stating "Failed to decrypt data." I don't know which version of TWRP I have, but it's before 3.0.0- should I try installing a newer version?
Yay, updating TWRP fixed it. I'll instead use this post to ask if there's been anything fancy and new in the world of 5x rooting in the last 3-5 months.

ElegantFugue fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 30, 2016

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
I own a Note 4. Since I always install CM I'm supremely disappointed I'm stuck with TouchWiz. Do research first before falling for that shiny new phone on special.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mister magpie posted:

I own a Note 4. Since I always install CM I'm supremely disappointed I'm stuck with TouchWiz. Do research first before falling for that shiny new phone on special.

Note 4 is fine with CM. Are you with a carrier that hates you? They lock the bootloader in which case you're SOL, but that's basically going to be across the board with those carriers aside from Nexus or similar.

mags
May 30, 2008

wolrah posted:

Note 4 is fine with CM. Are you with a carrier that hates you? They lock the bootloader in which case you're SOL, but that's basically going to be across the board with those carriers aside from Nexus or similar.

Yeah, I have AT&T, the 920A model specifically.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mister magpie posted:

Yeah, I have AT&T, the 920A model specifically.

Times you should buy a phone from a carrier:
  • When, as a masochist, you can no longer get an erection solely from having your balls stomped upon.
  • When you've transcended corporeal form and no longer rely on the physical realm.

If neither of these apply to you, don't buy a telephone from a carrier.

mags
May 30, 2008

Lesson learned. :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

LastInLine posted:

• When, as a masochist, you can no longer get an erection solely from having your balls stomped upon.
  • When you've transcended corporeal form and no longer rely on the physical realm.

It's not that bad, only certain carriers (Verizon and AT&T).

The only limit T-Mobile put on any of my phones is a SIM lock, which in all cases they've happily removed upon request once the phone was paid off. Otherwise they're just giving me 0% financing. Sprint was similar last time I used them, except the unlock part since CDMA really doesn't have the concept of a carrierless phone.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

LastInLine posted:

This is true even for some old Lumia devices. Fortunately they can't be region locked or get their bootloader locked too so you can just mess with nokia care center and make your exclusive model from a carrier a generic international device in like 20 minutes. You may still need to unlock the sim depending on the phone.

I'm not getting a phone from a carrier unless it's completely free and I tag it as backup. My main driver right now is a Lumia 640XL dual sim and I love not being tied to a carrier and being able to swtich at my will.

mags
May 30, 2008

I got this Note 4 in a Black Friday deal for free, along with a Galaxy Tab. Along with reducing my bill I got a new phone, and I was pretty happy about it. I can wait until they release the source and hope for a bootloader unlock method.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

mister magpie posted:

I can wait until they release the source and hope for a bootloader unlock method.

Why do you think that's going to happen?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

mister magpie posted:

I can wait until they release the source and hope for a bootloader unlock method.
You already have source: http://opensource.samsung.com/reception/receptionSub.do?method=sub&sub=F&searchValue=SM-N910A

It's meaningless without a bootloader unlock, and it won't help you get one.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Any idea why my phone (2014 Moto X with CyanogenMod 13 nightly from the 11th) would suddenly not be able to boot into recovery? I see the TWRP splash screen, but then the phone boots normally. This happens regardless of manually rebooting into recovery through the power menu or trying to update to the nightly from the 12th through the update settings menu.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Okay, the OP was last updated five years ago, which makes it due for a refresh, and perhaps a change of scope. I am interested in authoring a new topic and think we should should incorporate other Android sperg detritus like "how can I make sure Google/the government/butthole aliens aren't spying on me?" and... Well, that's actually the only thing I can think of right now, but the idea is that if it would send the nominal Android topic on an eight-page apoplectic fit about how much of a moron you are for caring about a thing you want to do, it might be hygienic to just have such inquiries pointed over here where the only answers should be "here's how to do that," "you cannot do that," or radio silence.

I'm thinking good updates to the OP as it stands would include a graphic depiction of the bootloader/system/root hierarchy and an exhaustive list of reasons to have root in tyool 2016. I don't know, maybe a rootable phone buyer's guide? Looking for options, here.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

hooah posted:

Any idea why my phone (2014 Moto X with CyanogenMod 13 nightly from the 11th) would suddenly not be able to boot into recovery? I see the TWRP splash screen, but then the phone boots normally. This happens regardless of manually rebooting into recovery through the power menu or trying to update to the nightly from the 12th through the update settings menu.

Try refreshing and immediately booting into the latest twrp. You can install it via adb, or try an older version. Twrp doesn't always "set" the first time, you are ideally supposed to boot it before the rom loads so it can perma patch itself in.
If your button fu isn't fast enough you can reboot to recovery and use other adb commands via computer, I use HTC one m8 "all in one" program for less command line tedium.

Quaint Quail Quilt fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 13, 2016

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
Something about no guarantees of bootloader or root or custom ROM freedom unless it's not carrier locked or an unlocked or developers/nexus (or ask the thread). Is good for rootable list.

I can make a mini review list of root apps and xposed modules that I personally use, and HTC infos, I know nothing about titanium however.

There is a snippet on xda about s-off and if you even need it and the difference between unlocked bootloader and root, I have all 3 but it is a security risk just for convenience.

Something about radios could help, that's what ends up breaking most custom ROMs functionality and shots up 1/2 xda threads, and Iaragraph on nandroid backups.

Shamelessly copying 3 articles from xda covers most of it, everything else can be just ask.

Temporarily allowing unsigned apps in the security tab can also be an important step.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Yeah at this point it's pretty much "never don't Nexus". Same advice as Android in general, really.

Also possible thread title: Rooted Android - You probably can't do this anymore since finding a phone with a bootloader you can unlock and easy access to recovery images is the fuckin' lottery these days. It's probably easier outside of North America, but then you're still encouraging people to don't Nexus.

And what even are you going to do with root these days? Ads aren't so much a malware vector on Android unless you bought a bad phone or a carrier phone that think security updates are a marketing tool (same thing :v:), although you should probably do your civic duty and report tech support ads (I use 'inappropriate'), and they're useful for determining which apps are worth letting be on your phone, in the 'company you keep' sense. Games not using Google Play Games cloud save show exactly how much duty of care their developers demonstrate, and most other apps have some form of config sync built in. Chrome desperately needs extensions but Firefox works with uBlock Origin and is still the lesser performance hit among Android browsers (at least for my use cases) and yeah it took me a while to realize I wasn't in Bizarro World too. I ... think that's the biggies for a new phone?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 14, 2016

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ads might not it be as big a malware vector but some mobile sites are completely unreadable without ad blocking. plus theres a bunch of options open if you install xposed, which requires root iirc

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

galahan posted:

Try refreshing and immediately booting into the latest twrp. You can install it via adb, or try an older version. Twrp doesn't always "set" the first time, you are ideally supposed to boot it before the rom loads so it can perma patch itself in.
If your button fu isn't fast enough you can reboot to recovery and use other adb commands via computer, I use HTC one m8 "all in one" program for less command line tedium.

I updated TWRP from 3.0.0-0 to whatever the most recent version is and it ran fine. Thanks.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

I have more computing power in my pocket than the first moon missions, I think it is utterly asinine to have to press the same buttons when I get home to turn on/off certain functions when I could automate this and properly live in tyool 2016.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
"Probably wasting your time without a Nexus."

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

NancyPants posted:

I have more computing power in my pocket than the first moon missions, I think it is utterly asinine to have to press the same buttons when I get home to turn on/off certain functions when I could automate this and properly live in tyool 2016.

this is another good point, I live on the cusp of high speed coverage so unless I keep my phone on 2g it pings back and forth between that and high speed and destroys my battery life. cm can allow you to set system profiles when connected to wifi or whatever to change the radio which allows me to fix it, but other standalone apps that do the same thing require root

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got a 2014 Moto X running CyanogenMod 13. It has a nasty habit of shutting itself off when it should have at least 20% battery. For example, I was just playing a game, and had recently checked that I had somewhere around 25% battery. A few minutes after I checked, I saw a brief flash of the battery warning showing what looked like 0%, then the phone shut off. Is there anything I can do to recalibrate the battery meter so at least I'm more aware that the battery's getting low, rather than remembering I have to be careful at ~25% rather than ~10%?

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

hooah posted:

I've got a 2014 Moto X running CyanogenMod 13. It has a nasty habit of shutting itself off when it should have at least 20% battery. For example, I was just playing a game, and had recently checked that I had somewhere around 25% battery. A few minutes after I checked, I saw a brief flash of the battery warning showing what looked like 0%, then the phone shut off. Is there anything I can do to recalibrate the battery meter so at least I'm more aware that the battery's getting low, rather than remembering I have to be careful at ~25% rather than ~10%?

How certain are you that CM is causing this? That is exactly the behavior I would expect from a 2 year old battery; when they poo poo the bed the phone thinks the battery is anywhere from 0% to 100% but it just can't hold a charge. I abuse batteries and consider 18 months to be a good run.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

NancyPants posted:

How certain are you that CM is causing this? That is exactly the behavior I would expect from a 2 year old battery; when they poo poo the bed the phone thinks the battery is anywhere from 0% to 100% but it just can't hold a charge. I abuse batteries and consider 18 months to be a good run.

I don't think hooah is blaming CM for this. The question was whether there's a way to recalibrate the battery.

I would like to know the answer to this as well, since my 2014 Moto X does the exact same thing on the stock Marshmallow firmware.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

It's not a calibration issue. It's a dead battery issue. If you have a 2 year old battery, you need to replace it. No battery recalibration in the world can fix the problem of not knowing how much battery you have left before your phone dies because the components that give the software that info have literally dissolved.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How long did they keep making this phone? I got mine from Verizon (ugh) in March or April last year, so I wouldn't expect the battery to be a whole two years old.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

hooah posted:

How long did they keep making this phone? I got mine from Verizon (ugh) in March or April last year, so I wouldn't expect the battery to be a whole two years old.

Well, if lenovorola knew about anything specific to that battery that made it prone to dying quickly and used custom software to mitigate the problem, you threw it out when you installed CM.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Yeah, but I got Marshmallow! :downs:

I've been thinking about going back to stock but keeping root.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is definitely a dying battery, there's not even a question.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Well, that sucks balls. How easy are these things to open up? I did some work on the Nexus 4 this replaced, and it was always a bitch to pry open the side (I ended up breaking all the thin parts around the buttons).

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

hooah posted:

Well, that sucks balls. How easy are these things to open up? I did some work on the Nexus 4 this replaced, and it was always a bitch to pry open the side (I ended up breaking all the thin parts around the buttons).

https://youtu.be/fidHKn-J-0M

E: use Google/Amazon dude, that video took me 10 seconds to find. Seriously.

Hint: if it's 2 bucks and from China, prob not great odds. Buy from a reputable seller and you won't be out any money.

BonerGhost fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, now where's a good place to find legitimate OEM batteries? From what I've heard it's pretty much a crapshoot.