Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm an idiot, someone remind me how to remove Youtube from my system partition (Desire) so I can install the new Market version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Hmmm. This appeared to work, but I can't install the new one still. Boo. :smith:

edit: I don't think Titanium can do this without S-OFF maybe? Which I haven't bothered to do yet.

chippy fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Oct 21, 2010

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yep. After removing it with TB it's not longer visible in /system/app. After a reboot, it's back again. Running CM6 by the way, in case it makes any difference.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Casao posted:

Turn on "Chuck Norris" mode.

Edit: Oh, wait, you're on a Desire, have they unlocked writing to /System yet?

No, not unless you've run the Alpha-rev S-OFF hack. For some reason I thought TB might be using some crazy workaround with ADB or something. Never mind.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Yeah, it does void your warranty. I know at least with the HTC Devices you can run an RUU and return them to entirely stock like nothing ever happened. Mine's ensured, so I figure if I ever brick it to the point where I can't re-flash it for a warranty repair, I'll just run it over in my car or something. I seem to be one of the people capable of regularly scratching the Desire's screen so I might just do that anyway when it gets too bad.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I was of course speaking hypothetically.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I want to S-OFF my Desire with the Alpha-rev hack. Anyone done this? There's a couple of things I want to check:

a) Will this erase my ROM or will it be left intact? I'm assuming flashing a new partition table would result in everything being wiped and needing a re-install, but just applying the hack should leave everything untouched and just flash the new HBOOT, is this right?

b) I've read I might have to reflash ClockWork using fastboot afterwards, is there a guide to doing this somewhere?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just S-OFFed my Desire. Now that I have an easy way of flashing recoveries, is there any reason I'd want to update ClockWorkMod from 2.5.0.1 to 2.5.0.7?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there a quick way of telling how much space the davlik cache is occupying on my sd-ext partition? I'm trying to work out if it's worth flashing the N1 partition table on my Desire and moving the davlik cache to the cache partition. In theory it sounds nice to be able to ditch A2SD but I'm not convinced that cache space wouldn't still be a limiting factor.

edit: Also, anyone know what "Common: Autodetect if we should use /cache for system dex files - Kali-" in the CM6 changelog means?

chippy fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Oct 28, 2010

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Same here, that icon is displayed any time headphones are plugged in.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

900ftjesus posted:

Could someone please mirror the gapps-hdpi-20101025-signed.zip file? The official mirror is down/suspended.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53883/gapps-hdpi-20101025-signed.zip

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Can anyone tell me how to check the size of the dalvik cache on my ext3?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

travisray2004 posted:

It's ugly as poo poo

I'm with you pal. Try Nubdial if you don't like Dialer One. Personally I still don't think either of them are as good as the Sense dialler.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I'm pretty sure ROM Manager asks you whether you want to wipe, and also do a backup, before you flash. It doesn't just do it without prompting you.

Can I ask where you saw CM6.1 RC2/RC3? I can only see RC1 on the Desire subforum.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
What do you guys think of this?

http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/8704-my-cyanogen-froyo-22-hybrid/page__gopid__84117#entry84117

It doesn't seem like what he's saying should work. I thought Rosie etc. required the Sense framework to function?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Beats me to be honest. I don't miss Rosie at all, but I'm still not down with the stock dialler/phonebook, or any of their replacements. I'd love for someone to get those working.

edit: That rabbit fella is now claiming he has those working as well. Interesting. Seems weird that he hasn't actually posted a ROM or anything though.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Is there any explanation of what the different CPU governers do? I'm trying to work out how to effectively set up SetCPU to squeeze a bit more of my battery without compromising performance, but I can't really see much in the way of a manual or guide anywhere. Also, I thought Android scaled the CPU frequency according to load anyway?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Kuvo posted:

I tried it again with CM6.0 and it worked like a charm. Guess that's what I get for using a release candidate for my first ROM replacement.

At this point I can download Titanium again and start restoring apps?

Using the RC won't have been the problem.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Mogomra posted:

People are paranoid that the warranties on their phones are voided if they mess with the software.

I wouldn't call it paranoia, the warranty is voided if you root your phone.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Does anyone know how to stop Cyanogen automatically re-installing all my apps on a fresh install? I want to go to RC2 but I also want to mess with some new partition layouts, A2SD methods and stuff and I don't want it to start reinstalling my apps and completely fill my internal storage before I've had a chance to get everything set up.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Any way other than that? You can't just disable the feature?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
They're not all that clear. The restore option says "If I reinstall an application, restore backed up settings or other data." That's not really the functionality I want to disable though. The functionality is automatically re-installing apps that were installed before after a fresh install. Restoring my data only when I installed an app myself would be useful. Just mass reinstalling everything, not so much.

At the moment I'm thinking maybe just uninstall everything before I wipe and flash CM.

I don't recall it offering an option during setup.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Lewk posted:

Are the pictures taken smaller, too? Sense had the full screen open, or I don't know if that's just me being stupid.

Sense has the "widescreen" resolutions but you you can achieve the exact same thing by taking a regular 5M picture and cropping it.

The crappy low-res contact pictures really piss me off. I wish someone would do something about them. I know uploading a picture to Google contacts is a solution but I want it to sync with Facebook. Is that really so much to ask?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Just flashed the Alpharev N1 partition table on my Desire and it all went fine except now I can't delete stuff in /system/app. I was able to do this before. I should still be S-OFF after flashing the partition table shouldn't I?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Just flashed the Alpharev N1 partition table on my Desire and it all went fine except now I can't delete stuff in /system/app. I was able to do this before. I should still be S-OFF after flashing the partition table shouldn't I?

A-yo.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Red_Fred posted:

I'm currently running cm7. So I should backup, wipe everything then flash the partition and then flash cm7?

I could be wrong but I think if you've alread got the OS and stuff you want, you can just Nandroid, run the hack and flash the new partition, and then restore your Nandroid.

Also, you don't need to burn the ISO, you can just run it on a Virtual machine if you want, and you can flash the HBOOT using fastboot flash rather than putting it on your SD and renaming it and things.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
This isn't strictly a rooting question but I figure you guys will know - I've got an International S3, am I right in thinking I could just grab the JB update that's started rolling out in Poland and flash it on my phone without triggering the flash counter, since it's a stock build? Would I use Kies or Odin for this? And are there any dangers or caveats in doing so?

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
CM11 nightlies on an international S3, thoughts anyone? I think I'm finally sick of Touchwiz and the charm's worn off gimmicks like Smart Stay.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Mooktastical posted:

Imo, CM 11 hasn't had enough time to mature yet.

I use CM 10.2 and boot into an Android Revolution rom occasionally for the touchwiz camera app. (googy max fo lyfe)

OK, thanks. Hmm, I just got the 4.3 update on my S3 yesterday, and I'm running the launcher from Kit Kat anyway, so maybe I'll just leave it for a while.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
I didn't think rooting voided the warranty on Nexus devices anyway?

I just got a OnePlus One and I must say it was quite nice being able to unlock the bootloader with a simple adb command and not have to worry about voiding my warranty by doing so. Root took all of about 5-10 minutes to do.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dancer posted:

Can someone give me a quick summary on rooting the Oneplus One? Is there any point to it? Since it's already running CM, I'd assume they're okay with the idea of people wanting to root, so it's probably easy?

Basically exactly the same as the Nexus, use the fastboot oem unlock to unlock the bootloader, use fastboot to flash a recovery and then use that to flash ROMs, or you can flash .img files directly from fastboot. Completely sanctioned by OnePlus and there's a well written, official guide to doing it on the OnePlus One forum. Very quick and easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Dancer posted:

Can you confirm to me that I will still get updates pushed if I do that, using the stock ROM? It seems to me like it *should* be possible, but this isn't something I know a lot about.

Yep, first thing I did when I got mine out of the box was root it and I've had a couple of OTA updates since then.