Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anybody had any experience running Project Elite on their OG Droid, either the 2.2 or the 2.3 builds? Some people are talking about lots of performance improvements over CyanogenMod, and I figure there's gotta be something to a ROM that's designed just for the Droid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Thornes posted:

I haven't given that a shot but CM7 RC2 is working almost perfectly for me. The one big problem is that sometimes apps refuse to install.

I might try it but if you beat me to it please share your experiences!

So I bit the bullet and installed Project Elite 4.2 (non-GB) and I do think it's a lot faster than CM6 or CM7 on the OG Droid. Interface elements are quick and I haven't noticed some of the home screen sluggishness that I usually do on a fresh CM6 install. It also comes with overclocking support built into the OS, with support for all the various throttling methods and a new 1.05Ghz kernel.

I'm pretty happy with it, but I haven't gotten a chance to see how it performs with my usual widgets and whether or not it causes apps to force close or act weirdly.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

cptn oblivious posted:

I've got a Moto Droid running CM6 too. I'd love to upgrade to CM7, but the nightly thread on the CM forums makes me wary. There have been alot of speed issues up until recently, and the hardware support seems to come and go. On top of all that our new maintainer has been slacking (he did move and have the flu recently, but damnit I want CM7).

The latest nightlies may be worth checking out. Remember to nandoird, and it seems restoring anything with Titanium Backup will cause problems. Let me know how it goes.

CM7 on the Droid is not great, and I doubt it will ever be as good as the Froyo builds. Give Project Elite a shot, I found it much faster than even CM6 on my phone.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

If the phone won't even turn on that won't work.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

So I have my nook rooted, and I have to ask, is there a better dock launcher program to use with the nook than launcherpro? I like launcher pro but the dock is mostly unuseable.

Why is the dock unusable? I use Launcher Pro on my Nook.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

If you know of any functional Android for only $40 (what I paid for the G1) on eBay or Craigslist that is better than the G1, let me know.

Plus, I'm sure I got a good $10-$20 worth knowledge out of the device already. It almost pays for itself!

I bought a Droid for $50 from a friend who got it for free at a Google conference. Maybe you could try that. For a time Droid phones were ~$100 on eBay, too.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I'm having trouble updating CWM on my Nook Color -

I'd like to install the latest beta of CM7, which requires a newer version of CWM than I have. However, I've already wiped everything on my Nook Color so that the only thing I can get to is the CWM recovery screen, and I see no way to update it through the CWM .img I've downloaded. How do I update CWM from here, so I can go about installing the ROM and everything else?

I'd prefer not to use ROM Manager, since I'd have to install a ROM first and I've had nothing but bad luck with that program anyway.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Crap, looks like I've got myself into a bind.

I've got a rooted Nook Color. I installed a newer uboot through CWM and then selected the option "Reboot recovery." Since then, the device will only boot to a black screen after showing the "Read Forever" logo.

I've tried following the instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=949699 but I can't even get the thing to boot CWM. It just stays at that black screen, despite trying different SD cards.

Help?

Edit: Nevermind! Turns out I was using the wrong program to flash the SD card. The proper one is located here: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 17, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Anyone got a solid fix for the Netflix app streaming video/audio way too fast on certain devices, like the Nook Color? I found a single guy on XDA talking about fixing it and he mentioned a netflix-mod-1.apk that apparently doesn't exist.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

quadratic posted:

Maybe he meant mod-2?

Nah, he meant mod-1. I actually found a page with mod-1 through mod-5 but mod-1 didn't fix the problem. I'm really confused, since nobody in this thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1078123 seems to have the problem.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Ok, I managed to get it working by downloading the virgin Netflix app and changing my build.prop. I don't know what the hell they did to the other .apks to get rid of the device check, but it obviously has some weird side effect.

Also, I learned that I can do adb over wi-fi. I was getting really frustrated trying to get adb to recognize my Nook over USB.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Xenomorph posted:

CM nightly 86 is really getting there on the Nook Color.

Starting with nightly 82, it included the new 2.6.32 kernel for the Nook Color that fixed Deep Sleep. And starting with nightly 86, it has the new boot partition. I'm guessing it helps if you format /boot or don't have the 1.2 uboot installed. The big thing to me is getting a custom boot splash finally.

With CM 7.0.x, powering on the Nook Color looked like this:

1) "Touch the Future of Reading" or "Read Forever" boot splash in jagged letters.
2) Corrupted "Loading" text flashes quickly.
3) "ANDROID" text in landscape with a blinking cursor.
4) ... then the boot animation loads.

With 7.1/Nightly 86+, it is like this now:

1) Decent-looking, colored "cyanogen(mod)" boot splash.
2) The boot animation loads.

CyanogenMod 7.0.x has pretty much been alpha/beta for the Nook Color, even if it was released as "stable". 7.1 will be a real release for it.

Deep sleep fix is great. My NC used to last maybe 2 or 3 days in sleep mode, but now the battery percentage drops like 2% after a day of lying around.

Also, the CM betas fix the touchscreen issues, too. I have no idea how they did this, but the touchscreen is perfect now and has no problems detecting presses at the edges or on the keyboard.

Question: The Kindle app on my Nook Color is terribly slow, and I can't think of a reason why. Tapping to change the page can take a second or two, and sliding also takes forever. Anyone else have this problem?

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 26, 2011

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Is there any way to stop the Market from crashing on a Nook Color with a modified build.prop? None of the modified Netflix .apks work for me, so I had to go that route and I'd rather not have to swap files every time I want to use the Market or Netflix.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Kazy posted:

If you are coming from 7.0, you will get a huge improvement in battery life, since Deep Sleep is fixed and enabled in 7.1.

Also the issues with dead spots on the touchscreen are fixed.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

I just picked up a Droid Razr and put the leaked ICS on it. The one problem I'm having is that the signal strength seems much lower - 2 to 3 bars instead of the 5 it was getting before, and the 4G connection is off and on. Is this something that I can fix?

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

SeaborneClink posted:

Indicated signal bars are useless for determining signal strength. There is no standard between manufacturers let alone between phones of the same manufacturer. What is your dBm ? Settings -> About Phone -> Status

It's at -105 right now.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Hahahahaha

This is why I went back to stock on my razr maxx. None of the ROMS work reliably. Putting up with data connectivity issues, camera, bluetooth, and reliability issues aren't worth the hassle at all.

The camera alone I could deal with, but losing data super often throughout the day immediately pissed me off. I don't see how people can deal with their smartphone having no internet at all. It becomes a cumbersome dumb phone.

Moto pushed a .181 (I believe) update out on Verizon last night. Build release is marked March 8th. Cool, guys. Update me to more non ICS builds please. =/

I'm using the leaked ics update and it works great. None of the bugs the other ics builds have.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

Wait, a leaked ics update from vzw/motorola for the razr?

Yes. Hardware acceleration and everything. You can download the update over at XDA.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

New ICS build for CDMA Razr came out:

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/1963-new-ics-build-61484xt912/

Apparently has a lot of optimizations and fixes some bugs. Note: This isn't like the custom ICS ROMs out for the Razr that chug like crazy because they can't use hardware acceleration, this is an official (test) build. I've been running the previous version for a couple weeks and it works great.

Also, this could very well be the final build that they put out since it matches the file size on Verizon's update schedule: http://www.droid-life.com/2012/04/26/verizon-device-update-schedule-leaks-in-full-rezound-razr-and-xoom-details-emerge/

Probably want to avoid it for now, it seems that installing the new ICS leak will screw up fastboot restores for some users, making it impossible to downgrade back to the official releases. Like most things with Android, though, there'll probably be a workaround some time soon.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 28, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Doctor Butts posted:

I'll probably avoid it for now, but thanks for looking it up and keeping us/me posted. I'd love ICS, but only when its ready.

I hopped on it too early and honestly, being locked into the newer ICS builds isn't so bad. I have 0 problems with it.

Apparently the Droid Bionic had the same issue and some of the developers teamed up and figured out a hodge-podge way to get it back on track.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 1, 2012

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

~~RAZR MAXX ICS leak news~~

For anyone who updated to 0.84/0.85 and found themselves unable to downgrade back to GB to get back on the upgrade path, people found a way to update to the latest version of the ICS leak that is almost certainly going to be the actual release: http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/2321-get-unstuck-from-icsbut-not-back-to-gb-6148485-616203204206/

I was ok with running 0.84 on my phone since there weren't too many problems with the build, but upgrading to 206 fixed the problems that did exist and seemed to include a lot of optimizations.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Does this link actually have steps to root and install this leak? I'm typing this on my Maxx right now whilst in the car so multi tasking is a little more difficult.

Anyone have any idea when we'll actually see an official ICS release?

Edit: I guess it does, with 12 steps. Jesus

The instructions are for if you're already on 0.84/0.85. If you install 206, you will still be unable to return to stock GB.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

gmq posted:

I finally installed CM7 on my Defy and so far I love it. The phone feels a lot faster (although I guess most of that is because of the 'fresh format' effect).

However, both the WiFi and the cell signal strength indicators seem to be stuck at one bar.

The weird thing is that the Wireless screen in Settings shows it a full strength.

Any ideas of what could be causing that?

Are you using JuiceDefender? I noticed the same behavior when using it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

nickhimself posted:

Anyone with a rooted Razr MAXX using a ROM that doesn't break camera or data? The last time I was looking around I couldn't find anything that didn't break one or both of those.

Yes there's tons. Just don't use the ones with kexec. Droidrzr.com has a big list in their forums.