Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fuzzy Pipe Wrench posted:

Double posting this here and in the phone thread. I've grabbed a droid charge for free to lock-in my 4G unlimited on Verizon and I've been wondering how it is on the stock firmware and if its worth putting a custom rom/kernel on.

I'm really hoping it is or I can make it so I can just ignore it most of the time and not worry about how much I am using it or turning things on and off and still make it through a day without it dying.

Also it'd be great if it could actually function when I do try to use it.

Return it, exchange it for a Bionic or Razr or anything else. Bad phone, bad radios, no stable roms, no ICS update ever, stock sucks. A Bionic with its horrible screen is much much more stable and functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

smarion2 posted:

drat couldn't get this Radio issue fixed before I had to go to sleep last night.

I've tried like 5 different 4.1 Roms and all of them are just giving me no signal from verizon. Should I just go back to ICS and wait till next week? Is it possible that I erased what ever activation verizon did with my phone when I did a complete wipe and all I need to do is call them and get my phone set up?

My device doesn't recognize any carrier or anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't know what to tell you except that this rom works for me and double check you're wiping data, cache, and Dalvik cache before you flash. If you were doing everything through CWM recovery, I'm not sure what you could have done to mess up any activation with Verizon.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Quick question: is there a stock image for the Verizon Galaxy Nexus that I can flash in ClockworkMod Recovery? Everything I see has to be done via Odin or adb. It appears that my phone's usb is having issues (won't charge while it is powered on) and I'd like to revert to stock, but I can't get adb to recognize the phone and I don't think it is driver related.

Edit: I'm not currently on a stock build, so it doesn't look like I can just download the 4.0.4 OTA and flash it as an 'update.zip,' right?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 15, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

Aren't the stock images flashed in fastboot not ADB?

You're right, I was messing up the terminology! In short, I can't get my phone to connect to the computer at all, and due to the charging issue, I suspect it is a problem with the phone. Returning everything to stock to see if it fixes the issue or to prepare it to be replaced is what I'm trying to do.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
FYI, in case anyone else ends up with a busted usb on their Galaxy Nexus, it is totally possible to unroot, reflash stock, and relock the bootloader from the phone itself, without adb, fastboot, or PC connection. I followed this guide and it worked beautifully. I got a little panicked when I couldn't use Odin or fastboot to revert everything to stock, but using Mobile Odin and a BootUnlocker app specifically for the Galaxy Nexus, all was saved!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tommy Wiseau posted:

I rooted my GSM JB Galaxy Nexus the other day using Wug's 1-click unlock+root program. I lost data connectivity and it wasn't coming back, so I restored stock and lock.

Is this a known issue? Any idea on how to fix it?

Double check that you selected the right model. I imagine if you accidentally told it you had the CDMA version, your data would be wrecked.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Install Gentoo posted:

Can't get past the "touch the android" stuff fast enough after a factory reset to do that, or install anything. Only thing that can be done without the CPU governor happening is to kick back to recovery and reload a nandroid of it with my account on it but the cpu governor up and running.

Their phone died so this is to hold them over until they can buy a new smartphone basically. But I'd really prefer to have my account off of it.

Add their account, download a different free underclocking app, set the app up, then remove your account?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

rotaryfun posted:

This makes me really sad. I guess with Verizon you just have to realize that updates are most likely just not going to happen.

Just have to keep my Verizon Nexus rooted and updated with something else.

Be really sad no longer.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Genderfluid posted:

What does this mean exactly, sorry? xda is the worst designed website i have ever seen

I think LastInLine thought you were asking about getting rid of Sense on your old phone. You were asking about running stock Android on the new Droid DNA, right? I don't think there's anyway to know how the development scene will be for it, but I doubt it will be great since it probably won't sell like the Galaxy S3 has and Note 2 might.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I flashed the Flash apk and used Firefox, works great.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

To be honest I've never seen the symptoms he's describing. As far as I can tell CM10 is working the same way it always has and I'm fairly certain that nothing has changed with regards to how activity stacks are managed. I am sure that I'm not seeing unexpected behavior from the Back button which makes me believe that if they changed it they didn't do so significantly or in a way that I would see in my usage pattern.

I'm pretty sure I'm seeing inconsistent behavior, mostly from Google apps as far as I can tell. Last night I was using Awful Betamax, followed some Youtube link, then hitting back took me to the Youtube app homepage, not Awful. Of course, I tried to replicate it just now and it worked properly.

Oh hey, I figured it out! Open Youtube, press home to go back to home screen. Open Awful, follow a Youtube link from a thread (e: I'd recommend something from the PYF Awkward/Ugly thread, like anime cosplayer autists), now pressing back takes you to the Youtube home screen, not back to Awful. Now swipe away the Youtube app from the task switcher. Follow the same Youtube link again in Awful, now pressing back takes you straight back to Awful.

Surely that isn't working as it should. Back button behavior shouldn't depend on which apps are suspended, right?

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 28, 2012

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Wildtortilla posted:

My girlfriend and I bought a Nexus 10 this weekend and overall we love it. But we both think its ridiculous that if one of us downloads an app and the other wants it on their account, we have to download it again. I didn't really mid until she tried to use Google Talk and couldn't because I'm the "owner" of the device since we set up my account first. If we'd root the N10 is there a way to A) share apps between accounts and B) both be able to use Google Talk?

Set up multi-user accounts. You'll both be able to use Google Talk, because you'll "sign in" to your user account by simply hitting a little button on the lockscreen. You can't share apps between accounts; the entire point of having multi-user accounts is so you can have separate accounts!

If you don't want to use multiple accounts on the device, then you can share apps easily. Add each of your Gmail accounts under Settings->Accounts and voila. If you have multiple Google accounts tied to the device, there's a simple little drop down menu in the top left of the Google Talk app that you can easily switch between Gmail accounts.

I'm not really sure what else you could want that those two options don't satisfy. Either you have a shared device that can share everything easily, or you set up multiple accounts to keep your own personal stuff separate and then you obviously can't share apps.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Tunga posted:

Google Talk doesn't work with Android's user switching stuff. Only the first user can have it installed and working. For any other user, it gives the message that Wildtortilla is talking about. I have no idea why.

This is weird as hell. It works fine if you have two Gmail accounts attached to a device, not using multi-user accounts :psyduck:

Since the other main thing he wanted was app sharing, I guess ditching multiple accounts altogether is the best option.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Gozinbulx posted:

I don't seem to have much of a choice, I really want this game. Some pointers would be nice.

What device?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I saw some talk last page about the GPE rom for a Galaxy S4. I haven't bothered with any of this in a long time, but was under the impression I could probably find a clean, totally stock GPE version rom and flash to a T-Mobile Galaxy S4, without all the traditional xda additions. Is this the case? A quick look on xda left me not confident about this. My wife prefers stock android over TW but wants a better camera, so if I can get both for her with the S4 that'd be great. I just don't want to have to keep messing with flashing poo poo if at all possible; my ideal scenario would be flash an "official" GPE rom and then let her take OTA updates as Google/Samsung release them, if that's possible.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

LastInLine posted:

I'm certain it's possible but you will then have a lovely camera.

Well, even with the stock Android camera app, I think it would still be a big step up from a Nexus 4. In any case, she wants to just try using Nova launcher and see if that makes it inoffensive enough.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Note, however, that this isn't true in every case. I wasn't able to disable all the crap that my parents' Verizon Droid Ms came with.

Yup, lots of garbage is unable to be disabled on a T-Mobile Galaxy S4, too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

hooah posted:

Well, I had Google Play Music cause my phone to be unable to wake up again today. Still have Xposed "uninstalled" (that is, the app's still there, but if you open the it, you have to install the framework), so that's two strikes for GMP. I've used a little Songza in the interim, and it's been fine thus far. This is really disappointing for GPM.

What happens when "Google Play Music causes your phone to be unable to wake up?" You're streaming it with the screen off and then can't get the screen to turn on? Have you seen anyone else online mention this problem? In the app thread, people have complained about Play Music a few times, but nobody has ever mentioned that, that I recall.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Athanos posted:

I can't download directly to it, or use my file manager to move things to it. I would possibly be ok with either solution, but if I am not near a computer I can't add or move anything out of my internal memory which is pretty annoying. It doesn't break the core features of my phone, but I bought my phone because it came with the ability to use an SD card, so not being able to use one fully irks me.

Apps can download to the SD card, but they can now only download/modify their protected folder on the SD card. What are you trying to do that requires moving files on your phone using a file manager? It looks like the way Google wants you to move data between apps is to "share" from one app to another. You may be familiar with this from doing something like hitting "share" on a photo in the gallery and choosing a different photo editing app. Everything probably still works and you aren't prevented from using your SD card, you just can't easily manually organize it from your phone anymore. Apps will store data where they are allowed to and will have more restricted access to each other's storage, but you should still be able to share the data.

Athanos posted:

An S4.

edit: It seems like ES File Explorer will allow you to move things on to your SD card in the new version provided you create a folder on the SD card with that program first.

Yeah, I think this is right. Apps that have updated to support KitKat should be able to create an arbitrary file structure within their protected folder, I think. So if ES File Explorer wants to, it should be able to mostly recreate the old organization you used to have, provided you always and only use that app to deal with your SD card contents.

I was curious about Google's take on this so here's an interesting little exchange (here, and the response it the next message)

justin tipton posted:

Justin Tipton here. Creator of iSyncr and Rocket Player. Two top ten music applications with several million active users. One application allows syncing your iTunes music to your phone's SD card over USB or WiFi. The other, Rocket Player, allows for a great listening experience, including the ability to edit music tags and delete songs.

If I understand you correctly, under KitKat, iSyncr should sync all music over WiFi that the user wants on the SD card to "<SDCard>/Android/data/com.jrtstudio.iSyncr".

Then, when someone uses my Rocket Player app to delete a song, I should toast and say "The Android team doesn't want you to be able to delete this song", because Rocket Player can only access "<SDCard>/Android/data/com.jrtstudio.RocketPlayer", and not "<SDCard>/Android/data/com.jrtstudio.iSyncr".

I'm I understanding this correctly? Apps that sync data wirelessly are confined to a single directory on the SD card that no other apps can access without APIs being built into app that synced the files?

I hope I'm wrong. I really really do.

(P.S., Users are playing files that the media scanner doesn't pick up. Formats not natively supported Android. Do not suggest the MediaStore as a work around for music applications. It isn't.)

jeff sharkey posted:

First, thank you for all the hard work you've done to create excellent apps for Android users. :) I hear your frustration, so bear with me as I offer some general background before digging into your specific question.

Before KitKat, public APIs only supported a single primary external storage device, which on some devices can be emulated and backed by internal storage. Primary external storage devices continue to work the way they always have since API level 1; if you request WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE you have full read/write access across that entire device.

We've come a long way since API level 1, and looking back we found that some apps would scatter their files across external storage. If an app was uninstalled, these files would be orphaned, and users had to manually scavenge through all these files to free up disk space. This was a bad user experience, and something we wanted to avoid repeating.

So when we added APIs for secondary external storage devices in KitKat, we carefully limited write access to directories belonging to the running app. This gives us the best of both worlds: apps can take advantage of the extra storage space, and users have better visibility into and control over how apps are using their storage space. (These package-specific directories are surfaced to apps through Context.getExternalFilesDirs(), etc.)

Before KitKat, some OEMs chose to leave external storage devices unprotected, where apps could write if they guessed a special filesystem path. These were never part of any platform public API; they were an internal implementation detail. We've always maintained that internal details like this can (and will) change without warning, and that apps should not depend on these hidden behaviors.

Now, on to your specific question: there are many ways that your two apps could coordinate to share/manage files between themselves. One way would be to use a ContentProvider to offer access from the first app to the second. We've encouraged the use of ContentProviders like this because they support granular access controls through temporary Uri permission grants. FileProvider is a good place to start, since it already handles the details related to sharing files, including support for deleting:

http://developer.android.com/reference/android/support/v4/content/FileProvider.html

FileProvider may not be a perfect fit, but it's a good starting point for writing a custom provider. Using a provider creates a cleaner contract between the two apps, offering an abstraction layer around where/how the files are actually stored, and a place to surface metadata such as download progress, etc.

If you'd like to keep things simpler, another approach would be to define an internal protocol between your two apps, where the second app could request that the first app delete a specific file, perhaps through a broadcast that you protect with a permission.

Hopefully the details above shed more light on why these behaviors exist, and hopefully one of the strategies described above can help improve the interaction between your two apps. :)

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

the kawaiiest posted:

I think it's a problem because he's altering system files without the user's permission. I can completely understand not allowing users who have an ad blocker installed from using their app (I think some apps do this, they have a popup that says "sorry, you can't use this app because you have an ad blocker" or something), but messing with people's system files like that without permission is a dick move.

Isn't granting root permissions to an app giving your permission for it to do exactly things like that? In any case, that's a good example of (1) why most people shouldn't root and (2) why Google's changes to SD card handling is the right idea (though here it was app modifying system, it could easily be app modifying app).

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

deadlinguo posted:

I honestly care about the software updates way more than having the best hardware.

Sounds like a Moto X might be just what you want. Bonus is that it's quite a bit cheaper than an off contract S5 or M8, along with some nice software features. The only unambiguous downside compared to the other two is the camera, and the screen resolution if you're reading lots of little text.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Are there any general problems with CM11 on a T-Mobile LG G2? I got it installed and it seems to be fine, but I was curious what kind of issues I'll possibly run into.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Is this the joke? Looks like it'll slightly decrease the pocketability of it, too.

E: I should add, it's actually encouraging to see how much better LG's stock software was on 4.4.2 compared to 4.2.2 that it shipped with (I had to downgrade to install CM). Gives me hope that if the G3's UI/stuff gets ported back to the G2, I can put it back to stock and go back to not messing with rooting/ROMs. 4.4.2 the only really annoying things were the menu navigation button and some uninstallable poo poo apps that had persistent notifications, not sure if the latter is better on the G3 or not.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 5, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Red_Fred posted:

I'm thinking about doing a factory reset of my Galaxy Nexus as I have never done one since I got it in 2011. Is there any reason not to root it while I'm doing this? I'm probably not going to use custom ROMs but thought it might be useful at some point.

If you haven't found a reason to root it in the past 3 years, I doubt you'll find one now. But it is trivially easy to do if you're wiping it anyways, so it's up to you.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Has anyone used Xposed framework/gravity box, a custom kernel, and whatever else to recreate the "knock on" feature from LG on a Nexus 5? How is it on the battery life and is it at least as reliable/consistent as on the LG G2? I'm completely stock at this point and don't care about almost any other root feature, but if I could add this without killing my battery life, I'd probably take the time to do so.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

grack posted:

I've done it before, drains an extra 2-4% per hour of battery life (at least in my experience).

This is the combo I used:

Kernel: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/development/kernel-franco-kernel-r48-r36v2test02-t2538441

Widget: http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/themes-apps/widget-sweep2wake-doubletap2wake-t2626476

The widget isn't strictly necessary, but it allows you enable/disable wake commands on the fly to save battery life.

Sounds good, thank you. Unfortunately I think that's a bit too much battery drain to be worthwhile for me, but I'll keep it in mind. I don't miss much about a G2, but the knock on/off was a lot handier than I thought it would be.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

deong posted:

How is Android L on the 2013 Nexus 7? I was thinking about updating early, but don't really want to if a lot of apps are broken with it. I already use ART, so I'm assuming that if what I have works now, it'll be fine on Android L as well?

Nah, lots of apps are broken. If you search for something like "apps broken in android L," you can find lists. Off the top of my head, at least initially, Dropbox, Twitter, and Facebook were all totally or mostly broken. I know Twitter at least is fixed, though I use Plume and it was fine from the start.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Got the notice for the 4.4.4 update being ready for my GPE HTC One (M7/2013 model.)

Is there a place yet I can download the file so I can apply it myself and keep root? Or is it still too soon for it to be hosted somewhere?

This looks like the relevant xda thread.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

DrBouvenstein posted:

Great, thanks. I looked in XDA but under "Development" because I thought that's where things like updates, etc... went. not "General".

Yeah, I've found it is almost impossible to know where something will be. I've just taken to searching Google, like "xda htc one gpe 4.4.4 ota." Much quicker than looking across the random subforums. It's even worse for a phone with carrier variants.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Bobalbmi posted:

I have a quick question that I'm a little stumped as to how to answer - this is my first need for a root and also this phone isn't really mainstream right now.

I just bought a Midia Inkphone (https://onyx-boox.com/shop/midia-inkphone-onyx-e-ink-phone-e43-android/) running 2.3.5 and I'm not entirely sure what the most straightforward method to root this thing. I need to disable the frontlight on the e-ink display as it's draining the battery life and won't completely shut off, but there aren't any options to do this using the standard software. Is there a generic one-click/app to do this for 2.3.5 in a way that's not phone specific? Not sure if this matters but the software is "optimized for e-ink" displays.

No, there isn't a generic root method. Even if you had root, how would you use it to control the frontlight? Anyway, that sounds like a defect. They advertise 2 weeks of battery life, so you should probably warranty exchange it or return it.

E: Also, given the extremely niche type of phone it is and likely accompanying very small numbers of sales, don't count on ever getting anything beyond whatever official support you get from the company.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 10, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'll make sure to do that. Can I root on the newest version of touchwiz?

Search XDA. I'm sure you'll find a stock rooted image that can be flashed from custom recovery or using Odin or something.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

gently caress My rear end posted:

so I could watch a video from say 7 months ago and not worry about bricking my phone?

Yep. You can't really mess up with a Nexus. You should try to follow instructions with adb/fastboot so you have some idea what's going on, though toolkits can do it in "one click" too.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

frameset posted:

I'm getting a sim free Samsung S4 Mini tomorrow to replace my ageing creaky HTC Desire S.

In the meantime I've had a Nexus 7 and been really pleased with the clean, almost spartan interface.
What is a ROM I can install that is similar in UX to the Nexus 7?

Also before anyone asks, I didn't get a Nexus phone because I wanted a memory card slot.

Most people here would recommend a Moto G LTE, which added an SD card and LTE to the original Moto G. Compared to the S4 Mini, you'll get stock Android, better and faster updates, and you won't have to "fix" your phone.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 24, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

That's incredibly disappointing to hear. Is there a way to add to the internal storage partition with my SD card without rooting, then? Or am I going to have to try every exploit app I can find and cross my fingers?

Live and learn. Non-flagship Android phones tend to have terrible issues like this, doubly so when it's a completely ignored niche like a hardware keyboard phone.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Besides, the thing supposedly has 8GB of storage, probably 4ish available to the user? Why do you only have 200mb free? Move media to an SD card, uninstall apps you don't use.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

JumbocactuarX27 posted:

Actually, I just really like having a physical keyboard. I mean, this isn't the best phone, but it's far from the cheapest piece of crap I could've gotten at the time.

Yeah, you're not going to be able to get a good hardware keyboard phone for the foreseeable future. If you want a good phone, you'll have to ditch that keyboard. The good news is you probably won't miss it, whereas the advantages to getting a flagship phone (much better display, better camera, lower weight, etc.) are tough to miss.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I've tried to root my Nook HD+. When I followed the instructions on this site but when I install the cynogen mods I get the error message "Can't install this package on top of incompatible data. Please try another package or run a factory reset". I've tried redownloading and reinstalling the mods already. Does anyone have any advice?

That guide looks good. Where during the process are you getting the error? Did you download the files for the right device (ovation)?

E: Here's another place that you can look for updated files or help: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2600572

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Sep 3, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

It happens during step 12. I'll try out the guide you linked next.

Edit 2: I'm still getting that error. I wonder if it'd be worth it to buy a card from https://www.rootmynookhd.com or not.

It sounds like you either didn't download the right files or did something like unzip them or something. You're sure you have the Nook HD+? If so:

Download the latest 'snapshot' here: http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=ovation&type=snapshot

Download the Gapps for CM11 (20140606) here, the It Vends link is direct download: http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Google_Apps

Download the 'ovation recovery image (CWM)' from the third paragraph of the OP here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2600572

Don't unzip any of them. You can copy them over to the internal storage of the Nook or it should also work if they're just on the external SD card you're using to boot to recovery, too. When you boot into the custom recovery using the bootable SD card, flash those each in turn, probably in the order of recovery image, then CM11, then Gapps.

If you were getting to step 12 in that guide, I don't think buying an SD card will help you. You don't want to be using an SD card installation of CM11, it will be even slower and worse than if you install it to the internal memory (overwriting the Nook OS). It's also something that you really, really don't need to pay for. If you can read and follow directions, you can do it yourself, and you're like a minute away from finishing it from where you are.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

I only unzipped the first .img file, but I'd been using the nightly builds instead of the snapshot. We'll see if this fixes the problem.

It shouldn't make a difference, but we'll see. It's just a weird error you're getting, if all the files are correct. The only "difficult" part of the whole process is making the bootable SD card, and if you're getting to the point of flashing zips, you've done that correctly. Now it should really be as simple as hitting "install zip" and finding the file to flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Did you do a wipe/factory reset from within the recovery? It shouldn't be necessary, I don't think, but the only info I've found about the error you're getting is people not wanting to wipe their device, getting that error, then wiping it and it working.