Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krime posted:

Got ROM Manager from the market, wanted to try Fresh, but I kept getting the error...

"Error occured while processing the ROM list!"

when I go to DL Fresh from the menu.

Me or the App?

EVO
Download Fresh manually from the xda thread or the Fresh website. It's not you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I installed Juice Defender, and currently have the default settings enabled (free version). One of the settings enables data for 1 minute for every 15. When data is disabled, what do I lose access to?

I assume general push functions will only turn on for 1 minute, meaning Trillian, Gtalk, mail, etc, correct? What about SMS? Those still come in real time, right? That's not data as far as I know, but I could be wrong.

I'm at a conference with fairly flaky 3G coverage inside, but still need to receive texts and calls. Mail can be queued up every 15 minutes, that's fine. IM functionality would be nice, but I need my battery to survive the day so I can live with the loss of instant IM communication provided I have SMS.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

dissss posted:

SMS still works without data but you'd have to experiment with GMail/Talk push - sometimes it seems to take a while before it starts working again after turning data on and I have a feeling a minute won't be enough. Perhaps you'd be better off just switching data to 2G only and living with the slowness.

I'm surprised they don't provide wifi at the conference though, especially if the mobile service is bad.

Thanks for the info. I ended up playing Angry Birds most of the day, and data stays on with the screen. My battery life was great.

They do have wireless, but A) it requires a web request anytime the connection drops, which is annoying, and B) obviously push and crap won't work unless I refresh a web page every time I unlock my phone after inactivity. Problem solved though. I might even buy the full version.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Civil posted:

Well, it will be sweet justice for all the galaxy s owners if they get 2.3 before anyone else. Even if it's not Samsung that's pushing the update out to them.
2.3 SDK-derived ROMS came out for a bunch of phones immediately. It means nothing and I'll go out on a limb and say that at least two current non-Samsung phones will get the update before any of the Galaxy S models in the US. (My guess is the EVO and the Droid X)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I love Wifi Tether. It was a little confusing that it was in the market, since I had to install a totally different version to get it working on my EVO. Stuck in the loving Phoenix airport yesterday, their wifi was not working at all, so I installed Wifi Tether and was happily browsing for a few hours while a few other travelers were asking how I got the wifi to work.

Then I used it at my dad's house to supplement his satellite internet.

Now I'm downloading Fresh 3.5.0.1 using it rather than paying $5 per day for hotel internet. Hopefully my upgrade to Fresh goes well, because if not I will lose internet access :(.

post-update edit: I finished flashing the radios and PRI at my work's holiday party. Everything went fine. No data wipe, no FCs in GMail or the Market. I luckily skipped the Fresh 3.5 donor betas which had some mild issues, so 3.4.whatever to 3.5.0.1 was painless. The reboot option in the power menu is nice, and the wifi/data/gps/etc toggles in the notification pulldown are great. I can drop SwitchPro from my homescreen now, but probably won't because I'm running out of stuff to keep on it.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 22, 2010

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Turnquiet posted:

I was just reading the new Evo root thread at XDA, and apparently unrevoked breaks 4G? When did this happen? I rooted pretty much as soon as unrevoked came to be, so I am going to be pretty disappointed if I broke my phone without ever knowing about it.
I don't know, does 4G work for you? If you got your EVO more than about a month ago, you're not using the newest hboot anyway, and whatever issue they are talking about doesn't apply. Unrevoked doesn't break 4G up until recently, if that's true.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

brc64 posted:

The EVO was my first Android phone, so it may have just been the root process for that phone when it first came out, but I distinctly remember having to flash a rooted stock ROM as part of the process, which of course wiped out everything else. I guess my question is, does this process root the current stock ROM without wiping anything?
I've been using my EVO rooted since September at least and I have never wiped data. I manually flashed Fresh and have been on it ever since, but nothing in the root process requires flashing a custom ROM, and in fact the ability to flash a ROM means you're already rooted, in general.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I gave MIUI a shot on my EVO yesterday. After it first booted, it couldn't read my sdcard. I rebooted and it would just vibrate 5 times and blink the notification LED. Pulled the battery, tried again. Turns out it's stuck in Qualcomm Diagnostics Mode, something about the kernel command line being set incorrectly.

My bootloader somehow reverted to S-ON.

I ended up grabbing the latest PC36IMG and flashing back to stock. It will only boot when connected to a computer, cannot see the sdcard or charge over USB when powered on (because of qualcomm diag mode), and "reboots" after about 3 minutes of use. By "reboots", I mean it shuts down, vibrates 5 times, and blinks at me until I remove the battery, hook it up to a computer, boot into fastboot, select Clear Data, select No, and then let it boot.\

I believe some part of the MIUI image caused the issue, since it was initially responsible for its own kernel command line, and qxdm took effect on the first boot after the flash. Either way, I'm taking it to a Sprint store today to get it replaced (I hope). Other than qxdm, it's stock as gently caress right now after all my repair attempts.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I've seen a potentially similar issue, where the UI in general gets stuck. Certain apps won't draw some activities, but they respond to input. I can type in some text boxes, but the text doesn't appear. Stuff like that. CM7 RC4, EVO.

A reboot fixes it of course, and it seems to build back up over time.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Make sure you clear data and cache when going to CM7, and expect the first boot after the flash to take a long time. 5 to 15 minutes in some cases.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

Running an Evo on CM7 7.0.0RC4. Any reason to go back to nightlies, or is this still solid?

And I seem to only be able to stay logged into facebook or twitter, one always signs out when i sign into the other. Just irritating. Anyone else have this?
You should at least upgrade to the latest stable. There have been bug and security fixes since RC4.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

No joke. From the guys who did everything for the Evo 4G:

He's now working on S-OFF.
Apparently it's done.

@mobilemods
michael allman
EVO3D has been rooted and s-off!! Congrats #teamwin You guys never cease to amaze.

edit: Still haven't seen anything official from the devs at this point, may not be true

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jul 1, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Here is the new XDA thread created by one of the teamwin members, to track the EVO 3D root status. An app for the temp root process should come first, followed by an S-OFF tool later in the weekend.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1149998

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

EVO 3D temp-root:

http://therootofallevo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=76

After following the directions to get temp root, I pulled su and Superuser.apk from my EVO 4G. I was able to install busybox. ShootMe is able to acquire root, but it produced garbled images.

edit: Root seems to get lost, for any reasonable purpose anyway, after a few minutes. ADB shell still displays a # prompt, but it appears that /system loses rw permissions despite indicating that it is still writable (remount says it succeeded).

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jul 2, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

Also the HTC Evo 3D and HTC Sensation have both been clocked to 1.7 GHz without the Kernel source. Wowza.
And speaking of the EVO 3D, there is a rumor that the 2.3.4 OTA will bring S-OFF. The only source I have is one of the fre3vo developers' twitter feed. (@agrabren)

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

AppleCobbler posted:

He thought it was so cool, he even made a thread to showcase all of the variations of it :smithicide:
Negativity will not be tolerated here. The next person to post anything less than positive will be banned forever.

XxXhugeCOCxxX23 posted:

donlwdn

10 char

- sent from my BIG GUNS lol

Nokia 9100 !!!
This is more like it.

Thanks,

xda mods

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I rooted my 3D the other night, and it reprovisioned automatically. Superuser works, most root apps work, busybox is installed. But for some reason, Titanium Backup can't get root access. Any ideas?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Codiusprime posted:

I know this is pretty basic but have you tried clearing data? And if that doesn't work possibly uninstalling the app and re-installing it? I've had that problem a few times and it's usually fixed by a re-install.

I did that the first time, and cleared data, reinstalled again to be sure. No change. Oh well, I'll wait for a good ROM and do a full wipe at that point.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

SLOSifl posted:

I did that the first time, and cleared data, reinstalled again to be sure. No change. Oh well, I'll wait for a good ROM and do a full wipe at that point.
I should add that Superuser doesn't even show a request from titanium backup. That seems odd to me.

Edit: fixed. Deleted /data/bin. Leftover poo poo from some temp-root deal. Su and a few scripts.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Aug 4, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

comper posted:

I know you said you have busybox installed already, but did you acquire it through Titanium Backup itself? If not, hit menu > problems and download busybox that way. It's worked for me in the past.
My problem was fixed by removing temp-root leftovers, but Titanium Backup no longer includes an option to download busybox. It has its own built in version.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

http://revolutionary.io/

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

FlyingCheese posted:

Weird because I did all the OTA's before I rooted it. This only cropped up post-root and I didn't install any custom ROMS. Just stock.

I rebooted before to fix that bug but I'm trying again now.

Edit: rebooting didn't fix it. :(
Did you try disabling Fast Boot in Settings->Power?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Duckman2008 posted:

This worked great, I didn't realize it didn't install Superuser and such. Thanks so much!

Now that I have a very nicely running Evo 3D rooted, any ROMS that are recommended? My Evo I approached where I basically just used Cyanogen, then Savage Zen and stuck with Stock Android ROMs. This time around I'm going to give Sense 3.0 a swing, so I am quite ok with it being very close to standard Sense.
I like Synergy, although it can't yet be overclocked until the source is released for the latest kernel.

(edit: You can go back to version 318 or something around there if you want to overclock, but you'll be back on 2.3.3 as well)

I just pull down the differences using SVN and zip it up myself, which gives you immediate access to the newest stuff.

The notification pulldown has some nice updates:
- Tap and hold the banner to hide/show the recent apps list
- Tap the banner to get to a shitload of toggles and sliders. Basically everything, including a volume slider that can be tapped to change between Media/Ringer/etc

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 24, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Mark Larson posted:

Is this also possible with the Sensation? Does it make a difference?
Yes, it's possible. I haven't seen much of an effect on my 3D.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

900ftjesus posted:

The stock ROM is fast and has very few issues, so the only thing left for the ROM "developers" is to theme it and remove the stock apps as well as pretending to remove Sense. CM7 and MIUI are really the only things that offer anything more than just crappy themes and they're not done yet.
I mentioned Synergy before, and I'll bring it up again. It's got a ton of little tweaks here and there, but appears stock from a distance. It's very similar to Fresh ROM.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Leathal posted:

Be warned that their nighties routinely break poo poo to the point where I just moved to another rom.
I haven't had any problems on the 2.3.4 based nightlies. I have been updating about once a day, with a nandroid every few days if I feel like it. Only wiping cache and dalvik between versions so far.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Custom kernels don't work on the 2.3.4 build until HTC releases the source anyway. Custom ROMS based on the latest OTA are affected, newest method of rooting or not.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh, missed that part. Boo HTC!
HTC is awesome about releasing kernel and driver sources. Hell, they have a whole section devoted to using the 3D cameras on their website.

This happens whenever the Android version changes significantly. I have no idea why people are treating this one separately, especially since HTC launched their unlock tool *early*.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Fatty_McLumpkin posted:

So apparently ShootMe is now off the android market... is there an equivalent replacement?
I see DroidCap in a lot of screenshots. So apparently it's popular, and apparently it sucks at hiding itself during the screenshot process.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

I've been playing with MIUI on my 3D for a few days, and holy poo poo, it's my new favorite. My wife played with it for about 1 minute and asked for it on her EVO 4G too. Bluetooth works, the in-call volume changing bug is gone, Market works without any extra effort again.

Setting the DPI to 270 (mostly) fixes some of the alignment issues with lockscreens and widgets on the 3D while the devs work on a fix.

quote:

Try starting from scratch again using the steps in this thread. At the very least, you should be able to get TWRP recovery up and running again.
Just a note on this. I was playing with Boot Manager (to no avail) and found that TWRP wasn't able to flash the update.zip provided by Boot Manager to get back to the phone OS in case of a boot loop. I downloaded Clockwork and flashed it from TWRP, then the update.zips worked again.

Just a note if you are using Boot Manager and TWRP and come across that problem. I find TWRP vastly more organized and easy to use compared to Clockwork, so use it if possible.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 29, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krittick posted:

Would sure love to know how to unlock my phone when this MIUI theme I installed doesn't actually have a working lockscreen and sliding the indicator does gently caress all.

Edit: Factory reset from recovery did the trick.
If you installed MIUI on a qHD device, didn't change your DPI and installed a lockscreen that doesn't fit, you should still be able to very carefully pull the slider in the correct direction and hold it close to the edge. Also try any phone or SMS sliders next time.

But since you did a factory reset, use an LCD density changer, or edit build.prop to set the DPI to 270.

If that doesn't describe your scenario, I've heard that tomorrow's release of MIUI will have some widget, lockscreen and alignment changes.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

This week's MIUI update for the EVO 3D is incredibly stable and smooth. Last week's fixed most of my problems, and this week's fixed the last one - no need to change the DPI to 270 to get properly aligned widgets and lockscreens.

No 3D support for viewing yet (can capture in 3D), and no 4G, but this ROM is so goddamned smooth I can't imaging going back to CM or Sense.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1271824

If you're not on MIUI and want to try, nandroid, wipe everything and flash this one. It's easily my favorite ROM.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

And for those of us without 4G coverage 3D is the only thing lacking. The only question I have is if it's possible to get Sprint Visual Voicemail back on MIUI? It's kind of essential for me.
It is, yes. I have been using Google Voice for as long as it's been available*, so I haven't tried to install the Sprint VVM updates provided in the linked thread above, but it seems to work for other people.

* If you don't have a reason to skip Google Voice integration on Sprint, it's very useful in a lot of situations. Calls, voicemail and texting from tablets and the computer and group filtering, customizable call screening, etc. And it works out of the box on any Android device so there is no worry about finding a carrier specific app for custom ROMs.

edit: Depending on which devices are turned on in my house, I get up to 4 notifications of a text/call/voicemail, and because of that I don't even keep my phone nearby when I'm at home. It's great.

SLOSifl fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 9, 2011

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, you boot into Clockwork/TWRP/any custom recovery and use the backup option. I do not know if nandroid backups are tied to the recovery that they were created with, but I think they are. If you're rooted already, you can use ROM Manager to flash Clockwork Recovery. It's not the most elegant, but it works. Where supported, I like TWRP if only for the better organization of the menus.

If you're upgrading or flashing a ROM, make a backup. If something goes wrong and you can't fix it, you can just restore the backup and *everything* will be exactly as you left it.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Did you wipe the cache and data partitions when flashing MIUI for the first time? Clear them and flash again just to be sure.

You mentioned you cleared them while dealing with your nandroid issue (no idea there), but did you try MIUI again since?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Wiped data, cache, dalvik too? It so, assuming it hasn't booted by now, pop the battery and try again. I had this problem when I flashed CM on my EVO 4G a long time ago and it scared the poo poo out of me.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Yeah, you'll need to wipe everything when making major ROM switches. The official HTC unlock requires, as far as I know, flashing the boot partition from fastboot. It's an extra step, but it's not particularly hard.

edit: Since you already have used fastboot, it's the same command.

fastboot flash boot boot.img (which you can pull from the MIUI zip).

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Krittick posted:

Still looking for a good MIUI theme that doesn't have an off-center lockscreen like every non-slider one I've found.

Changing lcd density doesn't affect this at all. Lockscreens like Colors or other multi-app ones always appear offset to the left. I don't know if this is because of the qHD screen on my Evo 3D but I can't find anything that works.
The alignment issues were fixed in last Friday's build.

Previously I just set my DPI to 270 and everything aligned just fine, lockscreens included.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

You should be able to find an RUU to revert to stock on an EVO 3D. Or root it, make a nandroid backup, and reflash it if needed (if they won't notice a custom recovery).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Updates will sometimes fail if certain things have changed. Grab the update from XDA or something, pre-rooted.