Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm trying to root my new Virgin Mobile Samsung Intercept (prepaid :v: ), but I can't get it to stick.

I did it via theunlockr.com's universal method (using adb and rage) and got Superuser installed, but wound up replacing it with the Superuser from the market and the su binary it wanted. This worked until I rebooted my phone. I re-ran rage and got root again, but it didn't stick around. I think it stopped working after I uninstalled Barnacle. SuperOneClick says I'm rooted and the last time I tried universal androot it said it couldn't do anything.

Am I doing something wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, but even if you did that, can't you just restore /data from backup and get your stuff back?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

God Exists. posted:

If you have figured out a way to back up your protected data without superuser I guess so.

I was sort of working from the stuff I learned from rooting my mediocre phone (Intercept), which involved a modified recovery that lets me deal with /system and /data backups that I used to flash my kernel with a rooted one. Didn't consider that you don't necessarily need a new recovery before rooting. R->C->P, guess I missed a step in there. :v:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Been a little while since I had to mess with a new Android device, my last ones were a phone I could run Gingerbreak on and a Nook Color, so easy stuff. I did manually root a Samsung intercept via ADB and Rage, though, so I'm not adverse to some CLI fun.

What's the goon-approved method of rooting a Nexus 10? Mine's showing up tomorrow and I'd like to get it rooted before I set it up. So far I've seen the Nexus Root Tool and the Chainfire batch file method kicked around online. I'm leaning towards the Nexus Root Tool, since it does all sorts of fancy stuff like OpenRecovery and backups, but is there anything I need to keep in mind?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tunga posted:

I recommend you do it manually. You can follow this guide which I wrote for the GNex and just skip the parts about flashing the stock image since you're already on it. Make sure you use the correct CWM image for the Nexus 10, the filename will have "manta" in it. Otherwise it's identical to the steps for the GNex (or the N4 or the N7).

Yeah, that's a good point, manual it is. Probably good to get the rust off. Plus I'm enamored with the idea of a touchscreen recovery, so getting CWM Touch installed and using it a little sounds like fun. Thanks for the walkthrough!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
How long should I be waiting for my Nexus to boot back up after the unlock, CWM recovery flash, and factory reset from Tunga's method? It seems like it's taking a while. I booted it up to mess with it a little before I started the root process and updated to 4.2.1, do I need to clear the dalvik cache or something else?

Edit: Got it! Just had to factory reset from the STOCK recovery. Not to put CWM back on and flash SuperSu on.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 8, 2013

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Tunga posted:

That's odd, not sure what that's about. Hopefully like you got it working anyway.

Yeah, I don't know either. Maybe something to do with 4.2.1? I got everything sorted and working and all of my root apps installed. All that's left is to get some more apps on it and maybe change the font (to Zegoe).

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
So I'm running 4.3 stock rooted on my Nexus 10. I just got the notification that the 4.4 OTA update is ready to go. I can just unroot with SuperSu, install the OTA, then re-root with the new zip through the normal recovery route, right? Or do I even need to unroot? I know the last update didn't like the way SuperSu works, so I wanted to check before I started screwing with it.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Jan posted:

Just pulled the 4.4 OTA update on my Nexus 4 without unrooting. It rebooted into CWM Recovery and installed normally, but I lost root after that. After rebooting into recovery, it seems like it had reverted to stock recovery.

So I plugged the phone in fastboot mode again, reflashed CWM Recovery, reinstalled the Superuser zip and that seems to be holding up.

I did try only reflashing CWM Recovery, but it just reverted itself to stock again afterwards. I'm assuming the Superuser install script has an extra necessary step.

Sounds reasonable enough. Thanks! I'm just gonna go for it and see what happens. Worst case I can update my recovery while I'm at it.

Edit: Welp, should have trusted my instincts. Now I'm stuck at the boot animation. Awesome. drat you, set_metadata_recursive!

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I don't know if the Kids edition is something different, but I figure the usual 7 can be hacked pretty trivially with the Fire Toolbox if you mostly want it for the Play Store and maybe a custom launcher. I did it for my Fire 10 and it's a decent enough little device. It's not full root and has it moments of annoyance (like having to re-set the launcher after updates), but I'm definitely not missing the days of loving with superuser and poo poo on my old Android 2.X and 4.X devices.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/windows-tool-fire-toolbox-v26-1.3889604/