Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I bought Zen and PA the other day because a friend got me interested again after a long time and have been playing a whole lot. I don't really have much experience with the really realistic computer pinball stuff so PA is a pretty refreshing change. I played the Digital Illusions stuff a whole lot when I was young(er), so it's kind of funny that I have way more trouble getting into Zen, even though that's much closer to the old games with the shoddyish lead and glue physics and all.

I already went ahead and added myself to the google docs list, but in case that's outdated anyone who wants to feel good about themselves beating my piddly scores feel free to add me, PSN name is Jpelter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What was the physics difference like between FX and FX2? I'm honestly trying to like zen and the tables have some charm to them but the total brick physics just seem to make doing anything on any of the tables completely impossible. I'm kind of looking forward to zen2 hitting but I wonder if it'll make enough of a difference.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alcoholism posted:

If Pinball Arcade gets more established, I wonder if we'll ever see a PA release of a new table at the same time as the actual physical release?

No real way of knowing without knowing exactly what their deal with Stern and licensing is like. I'd call it fairly unlikely but not completely impossible. Really though they seem more interested in preserving old popular tables in computer form than putting out tables people can go out and find fairly easily anyway. I'm guessing the DLC sales wouldn't be as high for newer tables. Nostalgia is a crazy drug.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Woop woop got 3.432M in black hole today. I've been playing PA so much I'm starting to get a bit bored of the four tables at this point. I wish the dlcs weren't over two weeks away still, but oh well. I hope they at least manage to make that date instead of getting bounced again.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Just wanted to give a heads up for the people who didn't notice, the NWPAS has some cool recorded interviews and presentations with designers etc. so far at their ustream channel Here.

e: Also I think I just broke black hole over my knee with over 9M. This is why endless extra balls is a bad idea.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 10, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Has anyone else noticed the attendant on black hole doesn't work at all? I had a several hour long game yesterday broken by the ball hopping out of geometry or something similar. Drained the balls after 18M today so I could get at least some kind of score to the leaderboards. I love PA but the geometry bugs are a real pain.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Beelzebozo posted:

The "call attendant" button works; it just doesn't do what most normal people expect it to, and that isn't helped by the fact that it's not explained anywhere. The only problem that button will fix is one where the ball has become "stuck" in a way that could happen on the practical table (like the trolls closing down on a ball in MM). Problems that are purely software issues like geometry flake outs or that nasty "not enough balls to continue" bug on Ripley's are not fixed by the call attendant button because they were never meant to be, not because the button doesn't work. Still FarSight's fault entirely and maybe not even worthy of distinction.

Oh, thanks for the explanation. I thought it was supposed to be a generic "get a stuck ball free" button no matter where the ball is. Although, considering how often the geometry flakeouts happen maybe it should be.

e: I've also had a legit situation where the call attendant thing should work but doesn't. On TOM my ball once got wedged in a tiny "lane" thing between the vanish hole and the bottom left jet. It kept going back between near the vanish hole and that jet over and over forever. The problem with the call attendant button is that it hit the jet every second or so and whenever it did it would cancel the attendant request, so that was another situation where I had no choice but to abort the game.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 11, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

I refuse to gently caress with Black Hole and Im probably a much worse player for it. Where are my video modes and my 30 second ball saves? Where are the cows?

Black hole is honestly not a very good competitive table anyway without tournament rules in place. It's completely breakable with the extra ball mechanics, and once you figure out how to game it the only way a game will ever end is either draining the rest of your balls on purpose or a geometry bug ending it right there (happens a lot in the lower lock area). Without the geometry bugs you could basically play it forever. In my personal opinion of the original 4 tables TotAN is easily the hardest due to the floatiness and how unpredictable practically every main shot on the table is. I can't really comment on the DLC stuff since I have a PS3 and we don't start getting those till next week.

e: Oh yeah I guess I should mention that you can kind of break totan too, but that part is more like a software bug in the original rom requiring you to set up an extremely specific set of events at once, so I don't consider it as problematic overall.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 21, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I just ended a completely ridiculous marathon game of Black Hole on the PS3. I think it took something like 7 hours, and I still can't touch the mobile scores. I guess some of those are glitched out or hacked somehow. Still, finished with 36.5M and I don't think I'll be playing the table again any time soon. It got incredibly boring towards the end.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I had my first game of BoP and I have to say I'm not really happy with that table. I played for a long while and was happy with my 130M score or whatever. Then inside 10 seconds I make 2 billion. It kind of makes it feel like everything else you do on the table apart from that one shot is meaningless. It's still a cool table and I love the retro-scifi theme, but that thing is kind of silly. The problem is even more pronounced because TPA doesn't have a separate billionaire leaderboard.

e: Also, I was kind of scared about losing my stuff so as per the other forum instructions I redownloaded the demo from the store without deleting anything and that fixed the new tables in.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 26, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

FLX posted:

Is it possible to do live-catches in TPA on the iPad? I'm getting better and better on MM, scoring around 100.000.000 regularly, but some of the faster balls are still really hard to control.

As far as I can tell it's nearly impossible to do them on any platform. I hope farsight works on implementing that at some point. The right ramp exit has way too much speed on MM though, and they've stated they should have that fixed in a future (july?) update. Meanwhile try holding the right flipper up to just pass it to the left, or slam it into the left ramp to slow it down after that shot.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Just busted a 91,952,120 score on Funhouse (PS3). Had Extra Balls stacked for days, I forgot the last count but I had over 45 Rudy hits, 7 Funhouse Multiballs, 4 or 5 Super Frenzys and out of all that I only got the first Trap Door Bonus :/ I just could not get the loops going. Made up the rest of the score with Unlimited Million hits on Rudy's dumb dome in Quick Multiball.

Look out Jpelter that 126,875,920 score of yours is well within my wheelhouse. So close yet so far! :argh:

Nice going sir. I welcome the competition. I really enjoy funhouse a lot after playing around with it for a while. The extra ball mechanics aren't as idiotic as with a lot of the other older tables.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Ramagamma posted:

Last I checked I was in a comedy forum with a thread about a game which is taking an extortionate amount of time to be updated. Do you know how long it took Super Mario 3 to come to the EU from Japan? 3 loving years. Would have been sooner if folks kicked up a fuss rather than going "gurrr, hey cleatus, it's just a game lets sit and shoot some more rabbits till it comes out" like you are.

So your contention is that if we yell a lot Farsight will improve their QA process or Microsoft will relax their approval process? Farsight doesn't have the funds to do that and Microsoft doesn't give a poo poo if it takes five years.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zeether posted:

I cannot stop laughing at the Lyman's Lament video PAPA has. "Oh my god, the flailing that's going on" combined with Bowen's little quips just kills me. That whole easter egg is just hilarious because of Lyman mocking you constantly.

I also love how most of the tournament videos they have up with Lyman in them the commentator just casually goes, "Oh yeah, he programmed this table" somewhere in there. Dude worked on what almost seems like a majority of the alltime best tables.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Leyburn posted:

gently caress Black Hole.

I had two balls locked, both of the accelerator lights in the lower table lit, and when I got my ball down there it didn't unlock my multiball.

Is this buggy, or is there something I have missed? I've unlocked the multiball before and this is the exact same way that I did it then (except I didn't have all those juicy bonuses lit previously obviously).

That sounds like a bug. Note though that multiball is nearly useless in going for a high score on black hole. You just can't keep two balls going in the lower playfield long enough to matter.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

It's nearly impossible to get a Harem multiball on Tales of the Arabian Nights because of that issue.

It's not extremely hard if you focus on that on purpose. Don't hit the genie to keep the spelling open and just bombard the left loop. You can hit it from both flippers. From the backhand left it won't go all the way around but it will register a harem letter if you hit it just right. The left flipper shot is actually in some ways preferable for it since the loop exit from the right is a moderate STTM hazard. It's not an easy shot at all but the returns from failed shots there are actually quite a bit safer usually than most returns on the table.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

goferchan posted:

I liked Voltaire at first but I got burnt out when I realized it takes SO long to accomplish anything -- there are a ton of goals to complete and a bunch of long-rear end unskippable animations before I can actually start working on an impressive score. Medieval Madness is great in that regard, you can get multiball in three shots and the 4-ball Madness can get you a shitload of points and it's not tedious at all to set up, it just takes skill.

I'm a bit conflicted about MM. On one hand battle for the kingdom is ridiculously hard to even get to and that's where the biggest points are, but on the other there are lesser goals that can rack up a pretty decent score. I managed to get 70M off barnyard multiball the other week. :smug:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

reflex posted:

Gorgar is just an incredible table. So simple yet so much fun. My uncle had one in his basement when I was growing up so I have incredible nostalgia with it. I recognize MM is a better overall and more fun table, but Gorgor is my #1. First table I've bought twice (PS3 + iOS).

Also, if you ever get tired of the Gorgar sounds, listen to AC/DC Live at Donington while playing. It's awesome.

I'd just like to note that clearly the correct music to listen to while playing Gorgar is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZ3pgABwss

:colbert:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zip posted:

i think ps3 is the worst version...
well I dont know about the kindle version but out of ipad, iphone, xbox and vita, I dislike the ps3 versions the most.

The flippers dont feel right. I think the xbox version is the best and if you can get past the REALLY lovely GRAPHICS on totan (seriously gently caress you white blob on left of screen) the vita version plays pretty well.

Dunno I love the ps3 version. Maybe you have the delay bug that affects certain tv setups for reasons they still haven't figured out yet? It seems pretty much perfect to me though.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pan Ache posted:

So if Theater of Magic is my favorite of the initial 4 PA tables with Ripley's being my least favorite. Would I be happier picking up the Gorgar/Monster Bash pack or the BOPB/Mideval Madness pack for more tables?

edit: VV Individual Table Purchases are available on Xbox? VV

Bride is all style no substance, Medieval Madness is an excellent table. Monster Bash is a bit too quirky for my tastes and Gorgar is a very good extremely simple early solid state table (as in it has no ramps, no multiball, no modes, nothing).

If I had to decide between the packs I'd get the Bride/MM pack because while bride is almost useless for gameplay it has oodles of style, and MM is overall probably the best of the four tables.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Played some Creature today on the PS3 and ran across an odd thing. There's a guy on my friends list with an 11.5B high score. I did a 12.5B run or something like that and it rolled over and only registered 2.5B of that. How are the high scores not consistent? On my version it rolls over at 10B. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

e: Found the answer. Farsight apparently records the overflow scores separately into the leaderboards somehow but it's not currently working or something like that. Annoying, but at least I know why now.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 5, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tsietisin posted:

What is up with those particular tables? I've not seemed to have had any issues with them.

The main things as far as I know is that the old version of Gorgar stops talking after you collect things a couple times, and old Monster Bash has a scoring problem where during multiballs a nudge will register as a hit on frankenstein.

e: Also they fiddle with physics on various tables almost every patch anyway so playing different versions on different consoles will have differences related to that.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

I don't think I'll be playing any more Creature from the Black Lagoon (PS3) until they patch it. In my first day of playing it I've had the ball fall directly through the base of the right flipper five times. It's a shame, cause I was really starting to like the table.

There have been problems with scores over 10B registering on the online leaderboards randomly too on that table, despite the devs saying there's a system that supposedly counts the overflow for that purpose. Hopefully they'll fix the various problems on it. Honestly that DLC is by far the buggiest yet considering how insanely oddly Black Knight behaves too with the flippers and the ball ghosting through walls and all kinds of weird stuff.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

Is there a list of tables they have for the future? Even ones way out there.

The list of confirmed tables not in yet is Twilight Zone, Star Trek: TNG, Attack from Mars, Cactus Canyon, Dr. Dude, Firepower, Genie, Pin*Bot, Space Shuttle, Victory, Whirlwind. T2 depending on their kickstarter later.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MichiganCubbie posted:

I still wonder what they'll do with Cactus Canyon. It never had full software patched into it. It was released as an incomplete machine.

If I understood right they talk with a lot of the developers of the actual tables. They can probably work something out with whoever the designer or the programmer dude was on that.

e: Or they'll just put it out the way it was released which is actually a lot more likely considering their mission statement. I'd still be pretty happy with it I think.

e2: There are actually some posts I found claiming that an updated ROM does exist, but it hasn't been released before due to some legal issues about the current owners of the rights to the table. I assume if TPA can reproduce the table digitally they might also have enough licensing rights to make that legal problem go away, and be able to use the updated software.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 29, 2012

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

Edit: I made it into the top 10 on Attack From Mars. :toot:

Yeah I was happy when I finally got the wizard mode done. Then I see your score and it's five times higher. :stare:
Hail to the pinball king.

I'm really liking Genie by the way. From people here and on the pinball forums I wasn't expecting much but it's honestly probably one my favourite tables over on TPA. Gottlieb was really on fire in the 70s/early 80s with that and Black Hole. Big Shot isn't really a bad table either I suppose, although a lot more aggravating to play than those two.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Apr 4, 2013

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Big shot is okay for what it is, an old school reel score table, it just doesn't have a lot going on with it. The theme is good but if I want to play a pin based on billiards, baby I needs me some Eight Ball Deluxe!

I think the main reason why I don't like big shot as much is the bonus rampup where the last balls are worth so much more than the first ones. It is quite simple too I suppose.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

I think Big Shot is pretty fun. You have to pay a lot of attention to ball movement so it's a good challenge. Sometimes I'd just rather play a reel game.

Oh for sure. Keeping balls in play is a lot more challenging. Probably too challenging for me. The tables I do the best at seem to be the oldschool ones where I can have total control with nudging and abuse extra ball mechanics. Big shot is actually really difficult.

e: Actually one thing that really bugs me with the TPA Big Shot is the left outlane. There seems to be an invisible guide that jams the ball in there and never bounces back from the wall. I'm not sure if the real table has an intendation or something to simulate that or something but if it doesn't the ball just doesn't act naturally in that area at all.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2013

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
So I was just ending out a Twilight Zone game where I had 17 billion on the board and the ball flips off the table and the game bugs out. I'm so happy about this awesome flowery game. They seriously haven't been able to put in a mechanism that lets you reset a ball by tilting or something just to play the game out in all this time? That's another table I won't have to ever play again unless they implement some sort of sane system to handle their super awesome geometry bugs.

e: for less cursing and vitriol

Nurge fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 5, 2013

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

There's a small amount of lag on the controls compared to the 360 version. The PS3 version also makes use of the pressure-sensitive shoulder buttons, which means you have to push L1/R1 a lot harder than you'd think would be necessary to use upper flippers. There's also some occasional camera glitches on certain tables which can potentially end a game.

I think the camera bugs are present in all versions of the tables, no? Congrats on the Funhouse score by the way. I don't think any goon is going to touch that any time soon.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Robnoxious posted:

Ahem, I was on pace to taking that score down but kind of faded out near the end since I had been playing it for 2 1/2 hours... and extended libations had been kicking in.
Another extra ball gained and a good run(s) of Super Frenzy and I could have passed it on my drain bonus alone, I had easily >70 Rudy hits racked up. :argh:

poo poo, I was so close.

Oh, my bad then. I just assumed people wouldn't have the kind of stamina required for over 500M on FH.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

DarthXaos posted:

15 minutes to LIVE PINBALL ACTION!

Now that Hank Williams Jr. isn't on football anymore, think we can get him to sing "ARE YOU READY FOR SOME PINBALL?"

http://www.geekgamer.tv/live/

Thank you so much for the reminder. I totally forgot this is today, and I love watching good players probably even more than I love playing myself.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eegah posted:

Tournament's up on the mobile versions. Best weighted score sum among eight tables, top 200 get exxxxxtra baaaaaalllllls.

Any idea if there are any prizes on the PS3? I'm currently sitting at #1, but that probably won't last the day. I kind of wish they had removed extra balls for all the tables instead of just Black Hole. Hammering out good scores on 8 tables is quite a time investment.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Dr. Dude and Firepower for sale on the PSN store now. You can't play them yet, but I assume the patch should be coming within an hour or two.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MisterZimbu posted:

My tournament bitch:

I *finally* got Trip to Atlantis in Ripley's; the last wizard goal I needed. Of course, goals apparently don't count in tournament mode for no particular reason, so I don't get credit. I'll never get that again because getting to wizard mode in Ripley's seems to be a near-impossible feat.

TROPHIES :argh:

You got frog frenzy before getting atlantis? :drat:
For me, personally, frog frenzy is about a hundred times harder. I think I've only gotten it three times ever or something.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Starhawk posted:

Well my goal for the tournament was to be in the top 100, and then once I was there I thought top 50 would be a nice reach goal. Now I'm at 40th place and thinking top 25 would be grand, but I just can't find any more points :(

Still #1 here. :toot:

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Discount Viscount posted:

Managed to bump up my scores on Ripley's and Black Hole a bit more before calling it quits. I'm sure the final five and a half hours will feature a bunch of people going nuts on a bunch of the tables all of a sudden and putting me in 100th.

Interestingly enough the tournament is already over. I'm pretty sure it was supposed to run longer too, but it seems to have closed early.

e: The PS3 one is anyway.

:feelsgood:

VVV Thank you, sir.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 11:41 on May 6, 2013

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

Congrats Nurge!

Thanks! I was honestly expecting to wake up and see you having cleaned the entire thing out at some point. I guess you decided to sit this one out?

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Terminally Bored posted:

PinballFX2 is going up on Steam in 12 hours. I'll be getting the Star Wars tables and maybe one Marvel pack. If anyone wants to compare scores:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/zbychomowca/

Did the Steam port of TPA get a release date?

Unofficial word is "a few months". Realistic definition means around july-september, but probably no later than christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Liverslapper posted:

*blahblah*
We are working with Sony to determine the best way to get the PlayStation winners their customs balls. We will update you once we know."

Translation for this is they'll maybe figure out how to make Sony let them do PS3 prizes a year or two after the PC version comes out and the PS3 one becomes literally obsolete. Oh well, it was pretty much to be expected and they're ball skins so whatever.