Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED
I originally purchased the 360 version, but since Farsight has been faffing about with new tables I decided to get the PS3 version. I knew some people had mentioned flipper lag, but I decided to give it a try. Dear God with the lag the PS3 version is damned near unplayable for me. I could give a rat's rear end about the lighting if I'm mistiming shots.

Man, with this, the lack of tables on the 360, and the state of the PC versions, I'm not too terribly inclined to give Farsight any more money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Starhawk posted:

I would try plugging in the controller. Just talking out of my rear end here, but I wouldn't be surprised if the lag could be blamed on Bluetooth.

Problem is that the controller was plugged in for charging. Was still laggy.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Actually broke top 100 on XBLA Funhouse today with a 90M+ score. And then I see the top score and get all depressed.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Finally made Billionaire's Club on Bride of Pinbot today. Though I had a weird glitch where I had lost a ball shortly after that and the camera went to zoom on the face for the turnback, but the camera didn't pull away. And clicking the camera buttons wouldn't change it back. Thankfully I had an extra ball and the camera went back to normal after that.

Glad to have finally finished Wizard goals for that table. To me mulitball is just not fun on that table. Way too easy to get bad bounces into the outlanes.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

On a separate note, I just had a game of Medieval Madness where I nabbed 243 million off one end of ball bonus. :aaaaa:

Ever since I picked up MM along with the title update for the 360 I've had an odd question. Is it just me or do the camera angles change the way the tables play? When I first started playing MM it seemed like it was really easy to rack up the bonus multiplier. I thought it have just been something specific to MM. But recently I went back to play ToM and I easily maxed out the multi. That normally didn't happen prior to the update.

The other bit that made me wonder about the cameras was that when in overhead view the balls would stay up in the bumpers for quite a while, and the ramp shots were super easy to nail. But if I went to the really low view the balls came out the bumpers faster, and ramps were harder to hit. Castle shots were much easier, though.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Parallax Scroll posted:

I'm better at certain shots using different camera angles, but I assumed that's due to being able to see what I'm doing better.

That's what I had originally thought, but the bit with the bumpers kept sticking out. It's been a while since I've played a real MM machine but is it really easy for a ball to sit up there and rack up multi?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I love how Dragon's Lair, a game that's been on more systems than I care to count, gets greenlit for Steam but yet PA can't get anywhere. I think they should just give Steam the finger and figure out another way to get out there: http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/30/steam-greenlight-advances-13-more-games-including-dragons-lair/

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Tsietisin posted:

I used to love playing pinball arcade but then I went and bought a new TV. Now I apparently have catastrophic lag when playing this game. It's only minute, but enough to let me know that the flippers are not flipping when I want them to.

I may have to try and get it on a different platform now.

Definitely turn off any post-processing options. That will lag like mad.

I was having a similar issue on the PS3 version, but after some experimentation I decided to limit the res to 720p (was set at 1080i, but the TV I use would just downres it). Once I did that the PS3 version became a lot more playable. I might end up buying some of the newer tables there until the 360 catches up.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

purkey posted:

Yeah Pinballz is one of my favorite places to hang out at on a day off. Actually managed to get the #2 score on Theatre of Magic last time there.

Just out of curiosity, does it ever seem like all of their tables lean in one direction? I want to like the place but every time I'm there it just seems like they're off somehow. Does anyone know if the re-level them on a regular basis? Or has PA just upped my expectations for working tables (save for maybe flipper strength)?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

The Kins posted:

Farsight are also promising actual info for Xbox 360 players next week.

Good God I hope so. I picked up both Twilight Zone and the Elvira/NGG pack on the PS3 because I wanted new tables to play. Had to update to TPA v2.07 in order for them to work... and I get error 80029564. Everything I try will not allow me to get past that error. The funny part is that the initial install works fine, but the update fails. After doing some research I've found that the error itself isn't specific to TPA.

So for once I have an issue that can't be blamed on Farsight!

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

The Pinball Museum in Vegas is neat and all but be forewarned, it's in what is essentially a commercial warehouse and during the dog days of Summer that place is hotter than balls and there is no air conditioning.

I went there twice during the Evo championships and I didn't think it was that bad in there in terms of AC. But then again it wasn't super packed both times I was there.

Two things I did like about the Vegas HoF: 1) really well rounded selection of machines going back into the 50s, 2) the tables were reasonably priced. It's worth spending a few hours there if you can.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Kilometers Davis posted:

360 crew is the saddest crew

Still waiting though. It says a lot that the old as hell tables still keep me entertained.

I've been playing the PS3 version just so I could play the new tables, but I still prefer the 360 version. The PS3 version certainly plays a bit different (even accounting for the flipper lag, which can be minimized by going to 720p in my experience). It almost acts like the ball is a bit heavier or something. It's really noticeable in No Good Gofers since after I launch the ball as I can barely make it up the left side ramp from the upper flipper. But when it comes back down the ramp it has enough speed to flip it back up.

If these tables were available on the 360 I probably would have sold my PS3 by now. Stupid MS and their stupid publisher requirement.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

I've given them multiple chances now, but after my experiences I have to say this:

gently caress Pinballz.

Every time I go in there I run into multiple tables that either lean (most commonly to the right) or have flippers so weak that I can't reliably make ramp shots. When you add in the prices they want to play each game in these conditions I honestly cannot recommend them to anyone who's serious about the game. Which sucks because when I do encounter a table that's working correctly it's great. But when that's the exception instead of the rule, especially for a place that's known as one of the largest pinball arcades in the country... that's a bad way to run things.

Sigh... guess I'm stuck with Pinball Arcade for now. Unless people know of other places in Austin that have tables in decent condition.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Just getting back from a trip to Austin and spent some time there and agree. I was disappointed in how poor some of the tables were. While poor flippers are bad, it's inexcusable to be a pinball place and have half your games not level. It's a 5 minute fix. Was also surprised to see how dirty some of the machines were.

I'm still glad I went as I got to play a lot of machines I had never even seen in person. But for a place that prides itself on pinball, they sure don't seem to care about it that much.

I'm really curious if they adjust machines prior to leagues/tournaments. If I knew they did that I might be inclined to go on those days to at least play on level tables. If they don't even bother there... then it's just for people to bring in their own beer and hit buttons.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Authorman posted:

Welcome to the wonderful world of NBA Fastbreak where cracking three digits is good enough to get on the champion list of at least one of 30 different high score leaderboards.

Just remember to scale back your NBA trivia to late nineties for the video modes and you're set.

I think that's one of the reason why I like that game so much. The design of the table makes you feel like you're playing basketball. You can't just spam one section of the table and hope to score points that way.

Even though the licenses would probably be a pain, I'd love to see this game in Pinball Arcade.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

MarxCarl posted:

For those interested, PAPA has started posting notes on games for their use in tournaments PAPA Game Notes. The entry for Dragon is great.

My favorite is the one for Frankenstein:

quote:

Finally, directors should put a sign on the backglass reminding players they have a choice of music, and while Edgar Winter is certainly awesome in many ways -most especially his flowing white mullet- choosing the orchestral movie music option at the beginning of the game every once in a while will keep scorekeepers from going batshit crazy after listening to Winter’s supersweet guitar riff for 10 straight hours.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Ernie Muppari posted:

I'm finding some of the older machines in TPA surprisingly fun.

I'm having fun with Big Shot (though some of the Wizard Goals still elude me) and oddly enough Central Park. I'd say that if anyone wants to get over their fear of nudging start with Central Park. Which might be easy to say since that game is really generous with extra balls, but you get so used to it that it can start transferring over to other games.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

elf help book posted:

"The Season Three Table Pack includes all TEN of the tables in Season Three as they are released throughout 2014"

Hmmm

Going off the pricing for the season pass and the amount of tables, either we're only getting single table releases or the double pack pricing is going up. Maybe instead of cranking out so maybe tables this season it means we'll get some things fixed and updated.

HAHAHA who am I kidding? :(

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Clouseau posted:

The worst thing about single table packs is that this means that we probably won't get any more EMs, which is a real shame. There's plenty more interesting old EMs that were worth bringing over.

Hopefully they won't forget the EMs. I really dig Central Park and Big Shot and would like to see more.

I have a question for those who are playing the PC version of Pinball Arcade: is it just me or does it seem easier to make some shots with consistency now? For example I now have a far easier time pulling off loop/ramp objectives in games like Attack From Mars, Theatre of Magic, and a few others. I'm guessing this is due to changes in the physics engine for PC because I've noticed a few others things that DON'T occur in the PS3/360 versions (i.e., ball comes out of the side rollovers in Big Shot at different angles on PC, PS3 would always be consistent).

Not that I'm complaining mind you. Now it feels like I'm playing pinball instead of fighting with the machine.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

MichiganCubbie posted:

I'm actually half expecting them to switch the Elvira tables, Gorgar, Centaur, TotAN, and BoP to After Dark because of innuendo and suggestive images.

As long as they don't force a re-buy I'd be OK with that. Though I wouldn't be surprised if they DID switch them to single tables purchases if this happened.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Eegah posted:

There's still a buttload of good tables waiting to be made. R&T is one of them.

After playing tables like Class Of 1812 and Victory I really have to wonder what the Farsight licensing team was thinking. I'd give up both of those for Eight Ball Deluxe. poo poo where's my F-14 Tomcat? Or if we want to get goofy where's my Rollergames?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Clouseau posted:

The Pinball Circus will also likely never come out because WMS won't let them. Despite the fact that they're not in pinball anymore, they're still fiercely protective of the properties and wouldn't allow an unreleased (or modified) game out. Whoever owns the rights to Gottlieb/Premier probably doesn't care.

Mondial Group was the one in control of the Gottlieb properties the last time I looked. To some degree I do know they cover the IP since they don't allow people to just sell copies of their manuals. Though I doubt the tables and such command a big part of their portfolio.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

So I have a really odd question regarding Theatre of Magic in PA. For this question assume a few things:

1: Locks are lit
2: First ball has been locked
3: Trunk has been 'opened' to start an Illusion
4: After these three things occurred a ball was lost SDTM

So in this instance we're presented our next ball with the chance to pick a specific Skill Shot bonus (i.e. Advance Clock). Normally for Skill Shots you're supposed to hit the front of the trunk period to collect the bonus. In one instance I ended up shooting the middle orbit to lock a ball, but in this case it went ahead and gave me the Skill Shot bonus. Should this normally happen? I know if you hit the trunk while it's rotating to open for an Illusion Start while go ahead and start the Illusion, so that's one Trunk 'Easter egg' (I've done that on a real table before). But I wasn't entirely sure if collecting a Skill Shot bonus on a lock should happen. Unfortunately none of the rulesheets I've found so far reference either one of these situations.

Can someone else confirm/deny?

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

breaks posted:

Yeah - on the real machine, at least the one I play on, the ball definitely can drop in to the back/side of the box and end up triggering the front sensor. I'm not totally sure if it's happened on a skill shot, but it's awarded from the front sensor so I don't see why not. I don't think it's a rules issue as much as it's a matter of the setup of the sensors in/around the box.

Thanks for confirming. On a real machine I can see where it's possibly a mechanical reason. But since we're talking PA I wasn't sure if they were replicating a real world situation or if the code was specifically meant to allow that.

EDIT: Huh... had an instance where the Trunk was open to start an Illusion (no balls locked), and I ended up dropping a ball through the back. Except this time it only triggered the Illusion Start and not the Ball Lock. I wonder if they have a random number generator that's ran whenever a ball drops in the back and there's two things to collect.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Feb 11, 2014

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

breaks posted:

As far as I know all the TPA DMDs are running ROM emulations; the code for the game itself is exactly the same as the arcade version. TPA simulates the processor(s) and I/O and so on. Of course the actual TPA "sensors" are just bits of code and are unlikely to behave exactly the way a real one does, but Farsight or not I'm sure they took note of the weird arrangement around the box and somewhat recreated it.

Which is understandable. I've never thought about how the game worked in this level of detail until I started recording videos that will eventually go up (I was editing tonight and that's when I noticed these situations). Not sure if that knowledge will help my game play at all, but it is interesting to consider and I'll watch for things like that on other tables.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Good pinball news: found a sealed Pro Pinball collection that had the first three games for $5.

Bad pinball news: Pinballz still sucks. Was there for a friend's b-day and EVERY table I played had bad lean on it. Including the new Star Trek and Wizard of Oz tables. :(

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Why the hell are so many pinball tables Pool themed? :psyduck:

If I had to guess... it's probably because a lot of people understand the concept of pool really easily, and therefore can make some sense of a pinball table based on it without needing to read the instruction card. On top of that I wouldn't be surprised if many of these games made it into pool halls anyway, so might as well have a good reason to draw a player in while they're waiting for their run on a table.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

DrNutt posted:

I'm not as good as Parallax Scroll or anything, but I've been working on setting up a twitch account since I got a PS4. I did a little streaming of ZP2 last night to test it out, and I am planning on testing it out with my Steam Pinball Arcade also, since I have a Shadowplay capable Nvidia card. I'm not setting up a microphone yet, but if you're bored and you want to watch some pinball, I'd appreciate any feedback you can offer. Tips for my pinball game and my broadcast would be equally appreciated. Mostly I just want to know if the broadcast is working alright, if the framerate is stable, etc.

Thanks!

http://www.twitch.tv/nuttdr

I'll have to check this out when I'm back at my main machine. FWIW XSplit works rather well with DirectX game capture and TPA, though you'll probably need a beefy system if you want to stream 1080p or 60fps.

BTW, I started a series called Silverball Diaries on YouTube. It's a mix of education for beginner/intermediate players, along with documenting me attempting to get good scores. Right now I'm focusing on TPA, but I am going to throw in some Pro Pinball down the road. I am looking for feedback so any commetns would be appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAlLKMSUsKPeAAQbm65_Mkw

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Have a rather odd question regarding TPA for the PC: has anyone been able to use a XInput wrapper like X360CE to use controllers that only work via DirectInput (like damned near every other controller out there)? I'm looking to use a Dual Shock 2 with USB adapter for PA, but for the life of me I cannot get it to work. I know the easiest route would be just to get aq 360 controller, but A) I have lots of controllers that work with everything EXCEPT this game, B) for ergonomic reasons I want to use a DS style controller.

I've tried asking on the PAFans forum, but so far no response.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Problem is that it only works over Bluetooth, not via USB. And I don't have a BT module for my desktop anywsy.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

That wasn't necessarily directed at you, I was just wondering out loud why it seems some of the modern pinball makers feel the need to replace physical elements with video screens, like WOZ and that new "Multimorphic" machine.

The Multimorphic machine reminds me of those custom-made cabinets for Visual Pinball which consist of a video screen as the whole "playfield" and you're basically just playing a video game in the shape of a pinball cabinet. I mean, Multimorphic does have physical balls but I have to wonder why they even bothered if most of the table is a flat screen.

If the game was well written then the screen could really add new elements to pinball. There are tables out there that have quite a bit of open space in the middle (i.e., Attack From Mars) but yet flow fast enough that you don't really notice.

As for LCDs replacing the DMD, once again it depends on how it's used. For WOZ I thought it offered too much information, especially when most of the time you're looking at the playfield. A balance needs to be struck by what players can reasonably comprehend when they do glance up at the screen while playing.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Captain Cool posted:

They're trying to modernize pinball. It's not that different of a concept than Pinball 2000. When you're the underdog you have to try something unconventional.

And it actually looks better than the last video I saw. The graphics look less like a dumb flash game this time.

When I played the prototype at SXSW a couple of years ago one of the concerns I had was about the ramps staying the same from game to game. But since they've now designed the upper platfield to be modular it could be a lot more interesting.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Trying to close out the wizard goals for Central Park. One left. 1000 points on a ball. An annoyingly hard little bastard for me.

This just happened.

Oh God, I know the feeling. Whoever came up with that one should be hit repeatedly.

quote:

Wow, that describes my typical experience at Pinballz.

ReverendHammer fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 26, 2014

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

For anyone in the Austin area, Pinballz now has a Hercules machine. $1.50 to play, but considering what it probably took to get the machine there I can't say I blame them for charging that much. Interesting to play on a machine that's that loving big, but gameplay wise if you've played any table from the late 70s you'd know what to expect.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

breaks posted:

They need to fix the goddamn flippers on Whirlwind because that right one especially is a pillow.

At least they finally got all the leaning tables sorted out though, or so it seems. I haven't run into one in a while.

Actually the one thing I really wish they had was some useful way to report problems with machines other than finding some random attendant dude, they should put a form on the website or something.

Not entirely. Funhouse leaned right, Rollergames had a significant left lean. At least NBA Fastbreak was working correctly this time!

Part of the reason I went today was A) I wanted to see if a less busy day resulted in better working tables, and B) I was bored and needed to get out of the house. In general it seemed like things were better than going on a Friday or Saturday night. There was a tech working on Robocop around 7PM. Was tempted to ask him about how often they balance machines, fix flippers, etc., but he was busy.

I like the idea of an issue submission form. Does anyone know when the management is usually in because it looks like there's enough pinball fans around to suggest something like that directly.

Not pinball related: they now have an original Star Trek sitdown cab. And it was working beautifully.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Ahhhh ha ha ha ha ha YES

I've sold cards in there for 30 cents before (including some PA ones)... but THAT. Sweet Jesus people are dumb.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Vonnie D Pinball is running a Kickstarter to produce a machine with an original theme: Pinball Gremlins. The boss idea sounds kinda neat especially for experienced players, but some things like the lights out and reversed flippers bit might turn off casual players: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2065029795/pinball-gremlins-pinball-machine

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

Edit : I should copyright this immediately if that's not what they've already done.

MarxCarl posted:

Industrial blower hooked up instead of the original fan

Someone playing it in 2013 - http://vimeo.com/70376617

Man I'd hope the volume on the games around them were cranked up because those would be loud as gently caress.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Tried out High Roller Casino... is it just me or is it a rather mediocre table? Admittedly I find most Stern tables to be 'meh' (The Sopranos is the only table of theirs so far I really like), but this one is like late 80s/early 90s Gottlieb levels of mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

Nurge posted:

One table to go in S3. As far as sounds go I long ago cranked my sounds and music off and listen to spotify while playing. I tend to play a couple games on new tables with sounds on to scope them out, but mainly it just gets terrible the longer you go. TNG is the one exception where I usually turn game music and sounds back on.

I don't think I could ever turn them off entirely. The audio cues help me way too much when playing, or at least for tables where they make good use of them.