Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Clouseau posted:

A great place to check is Pinside's market. It's a bit easier to vet people's history on there so you can't get ripped off too.

Welp, now I am green with envy and really want to round up $8,000 I don't have and make an 8 hour round trip to get Simpsons Pinball Party and Lord of the Rings into my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If I'm only buying one or two or three Pinball FX2 table packs in this Steam sale, which ones should they be? Isn't the Star Wars pack a thread favorite?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I got Empire Strikes Back Zen table last week when it was free for iPhone, and whoa, there's a bit of a learning curve on that. There's a very generous ball save, which helps. Hitting that stormtrooper in the scene mode is a beast.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I want to own a physical table, but in addition to not having $5k to spare I would be stuck in indecision forever choosing between my 4-5 top tables.
Also I'm worried that maintenance/repairs on it will break my heart, like every boat owner ever.

But I'd super love to have the Data East Star Wars or Williams Indiana Jones :allears:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

NuclearPotato posted:

iOS goon looking for some decent Zen Pinball tables to get. I've got Boba Fett and the free Sorcerer's Lair tables at the moment.

I really like Epic Quest, Avengers, Empire Strikes Back, and Paranormal. I got the enormous Humble Bundle pack, and those are the 4 that I keep going back to.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yay Pudding! posted:

High Speed is pretty fun on PA. I'm looking forward to trying the physical table this weekend at Zapcon in Phoenix. Anyone else going to be there? The game list looks pretty good.

I might go on Saturday. It's an otherwise really busy weekend for me, and living so far in the east valley I rarely make it out to Castles and Coasters for the pins there.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

roffels posted:

I just brought home a Gottleib Genesis. You know, the one with a hideous backglass.

It's sitting in my car. It's late and I have no one to help me get it up 3 flights of stairs.

Which one is Phil Collins?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Galler posted:

I should have mentioned I can't stand most movie/tv/whatever tie-ins but thank you.

e: which basically means I would never buy a Stern game. The only tie-in games I can think of that I don't find revolting are Judge Dredd, The Adams Family, and STTNG for whatever reason. Never gotten to play any of them though except for STTNG in PA.

Just curious, is it that you hate the idea of tie-ins, or does it so happen that every tie-in that you played you didn't like?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

As it turns out, a work teambuilder tomorrow is at a mini golf place. Not exciting on its own, but the internet tells me it has the following pins:
Attack From Mars
Medieval Madness
Monopoly
Revenge From Mars
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Spiderman
Theatre of Magic

I don't think I've played Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, or Theatre of Magic in the flesh before! :dance:
I hope they are in decent shape.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Trip report:
It was awesome. Very playable, good condition Attack from Mars, Medieval Madness, and Theatre of Magic less than 20 minutes from my home at $0.50/play. I am in love. And I placed number 3 on the scoreboard on my first game on Theatre of Magic, having never played the digital or physical version before :smug:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man

I'm somewhat surprised about the lack of a big reproduction scene in pinball. The digital pinball scene is better than ever, and I wonder if that's driving a surge of interest in the hobby?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Domus posted:

In regards to tilting, by the way, please don't put your drink on the glass and then try to manipulate the machine. The beer seals only go so far, and you can never quite get the cabinet floor unsticky again.

Just don't put your drink on the glass period. That's what the floor next to the table is for.
Whenever I see people do that, I want to ask if they were raised in a barn.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Someone just posted a 6 year old Stern machine on Craigslist for $260. That's either a typo, or it's going to be my first pin :pray::getin:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

roffels posted:

Probably spam. Lots cases where they say "The item is now gone but you too can get a pinball game this cheap if you go to [Auction website]"

Nailed it. I have been hoodwinked, bamboozled, and swindled. The guy who responded was named James Franco, and I'm never going to watch one of that dickhead's movies again!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Went back to my local pinball place and found that my 3rd place 1.5B score on Theatre of Magic got bumped to #4 :smith:
I can still feel good about that 1.5B because that was literally my first game I've ever played on that table (never even played on TPA). That particular table has one of the plexiglass overlays tightened down a little too hard by the rollover masks on the upper right. Send it down the wrong side and it gets wedged in there. I've tried to nudge it out gently probably a dozen times, and it's only worked once without tilting. I could probably do even better on that machine, but it's so frustrating to have a ball or two just wiped out every game.

I also put up 90M in Spiderman, which was good enough for #3 on the table :dance: I'm catching up to you, POO

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I can play Paranormal until the cows come home, but Empire Strikes Back gives me some problems, man.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

That's still not the worst Popeye pinball game

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Tony Phillips posted:

I assume you're saying "Popeye Saves the Earth" isn't good? Never played it - anyone else have an opinion on it?

I've never played it, just repeating the infamy of such a lousy table with a really stupid theme. Pinside has an ad up for a fully restored one for $1800, which says something.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yeah. You can even rent pickups from Home Depot or Lowe's

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

When I worked at the mall while I was in school, there was a pizza place nearby that had $5 giant slice/drink and the Star Wars 1992 pinball table. I'd go there for lunch almost every day.
It was rad, and that's probably the single table I've put the most hours into. The movie theatre next door had Spiderman and Lord of the Rings. They used to let me in without a ticket to go play pinball :whatup:

Now Spiderman/LOTR are gone, and the Star Wars table got replaced by a Monopoly in really poor repair :smith:
I'd love to own that Data East 1992 table, even moreso now that there's a rules update.

So I don't disagree with the criticism, but I love that table anyway and I will fight you.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I just saw a 1992 Data East Star Wars for sale near me for $2k.
I'm having a real hard time talking myself out of purchasing it as my first pinball machine.

Pros:
That table holds some sentimental and nostalgic value to me
I like the theme and gameplay
New ROM available with updated ruleset looks really cool
Seems like a good price

Cons:
I don't know anything about pinball ownership and maintenance sounds intimidating
I live 5 miles away from a really well maintained location with great pins (MM, Spiderman, ToM) and about 40 minutes away from another location with 10 great pins (TAF, Whodunnit, T2, Williams Indiana Jones, Simpsons Pinball Party)
I have a baby and plan to have more kids
Maybe I get bored with it after a few months?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

For all you people building digital tables, what software are you using? I experimented last night with some Visual Pinball tables and they sort of play like crap from a physics perspective and are animated really poorly.
Is Future Pinball any better?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

I've had both Visual and Future installed on my cab and I've found visual to be the better of the two. Future has better visuals on some tables but I prefer the physics of Visual pinball. At least in my opinion I've found the physics to be about the same as the physics in TPA.

What tables are you playing and which version for Visual Pinball. There are some newer versions with updated physics in it and a lot of the tables have been redone and look a lot better than they did when they were originally released.

VP9. I followed the latest guide on the site. I tried Star Wars Data East and Williams Indiana Jones and they just felt sort of janky and the animations looked like slideshows.
Maybe I was playing older versions of the tables?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

Possibly. Although I've never had a table play like a slideshow. What kind of machine are you running it on?

No, my PC is fine (660Ti and i7-4770k). The framerate is OK in general, but the animations on the table toys look slideshow-esque (spinning and bouncing R2D2 is very choppy)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

DevCore posted:

Went to a bar last night to play some LAH, some rear end in a top hat kept bugging me about super obvious poo poo. He even had to balls to reach over and hit the Smart Missile button when nothing was lit. Who does that!?

That happened to me once playing LOTR at a movie theatre, but the person in question was a 9 year old boy. At least he had the decency not to touch the buttons.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

There's a shopped-up Jurassic Park without a topper on sale near me for $2300. It seems a little high for that game, even though it's in great condition and has LED upgrades and new rubbers.
I'd bite at $2k, but I'm concerned if I bought it at $2300 I'd have a hard time reselling it for more than $2k in the future :ohdear:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Going to visit a new pinball place today. It has the following tables:
AC/DC (Premium/LE)
Addams Family, The
Black Knight
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Cyclone
Doctor Who
Dr. Dude
Flying Carpet
Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street
Game Show
Grand Prix
High Speed
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Johnny Mnemonic
Medieval Madness
NBA Fastbreak
Pinbot
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Star Trek
Stargate
Tales from the Crypt
Taxi
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Theatre of Magic
Twilight Zone
X-Men (Pro)

:getin:

I don't think I've ever played a TZ or ACDC in person.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

mattfl posted:

Sure, it might be another month or two before it's all done though, now comes all the really expensive stuff! Although I'm not sure if I'm gonna wanna post a total cost lol. If I had to throw a quick estimate now, 3-5k.

Man, what's driving that? I can't imagine building a virtual pinball PC can be more than $600 or so, and you can get a decent TV for as much and maybe another $100 for the backglass monitors used?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Arabian Nights genie battle with unlimited balls is a really fun game mode.

Also, when you all Make A Wish, do you choose the jewel every time? If not, which reward to you choose when it's available?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I tried pinball today using Steam Home Streaming.
It did not go well. A little too laggy for decent play. Might be able to blame my wireless connection for part of that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

If any of you have Pinball Arcade on the Playstation, the table pack with Theatre Of Magic, Ripleys Believe It Or Not! and Black Hole is :siren:FREE:siren: right now for PS3, PS4, and Vita.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Yechezkel posted:

The free pack is only for the North American region. Sorry Europe.

Direct links on PSN webstore:
PS4 version
PS3 version / another version if first version doesn't work
Vita version

Farsight also said this

As of now, the iOS pack of those tables is still priced.

As of this morning, the iOS pack of the tables is now free

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Niwrad posted:

I still haven't been to Logan Arcade and I need to change that.

Walking Dead seems like a good title for Stern. The show has a cult following and offers up some unique gameplay options. I just hope it's not all clipart from the show.

Yeah, I think it will be neat. I'm tired of zombie stuff, but the Walking Dead will be a fun ride (as long as they don't have you spend the entirety of Ball 2 arguing with the other stupid characters on the farm)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

https://pinside.com/pinball/map/where-to-play

The pinside map shows a few good and great tables in Champaign. All pretty spread out, but still.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

MichiganCubbie posted:

Pinball Arcade newsletter came out, and with it, the next table hint:

I think that's a pretty resounding hint for Party Zone.

I was thinking Birthday Serling, but Party Zone makes more sense.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

ovaries posted:

I'm in Phoenix and I can confirm that Castles and Coasters is the only real option here. They majorly renovated last year to make room for some Fruit Ninja Arcade machines and got rid of a lot of their pinball tables in the process. Now there are about a dozen tops and they're all on the second floor.

Golfland is hit or miss. I've been a couple times when the machines were working really well, but I've been twice as often when half the machines were unplugged (and the other half probably should have been). I live in the east valley, so it's worth rolling the dice with Golfland rather than drive 90 minutes round trip for Castles and Coasters. Medieval Madness's trolls are frequently broken, and the ball gets stuck by the pop bumpers all the time on Theatre of Magic.

If you're ever in Tucson, the pinball place that opened downtown is incredible. I posted about it in this thread before. The owners are a married couple who both work as some variety of moneybags engineers at Raytheon. They've been accumulating tables for years, and they are all in fantastic condition and impeccably maintained. It's just a small industrial space with rolling garage doors in front propped open, and 25+ tables inside.

Here was the games list last time I was there. They've got a few more that they rotate in and out.

AC/DC (Premium/LE)
Addams Family, The
Black Knight
Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy
Creature from the Black Lagoon
Cyclone
Doctor Who
Dr. Dude
Flying Carpet
Freddy: A Nightmare On Elm Street
Game Show
Grand Prix
High Speed
Indiana Jones: The Pinball Adventure
Johnny Mnemonic
Jurassic Park
Medieval Madness
NBA Fastbreak
Pinbot
Ripley's Believe It or Not!
Star Trek
Stargate
Tales from the Crypt
Tales of the Arabian Nights
Taxi
Terminator 2
The Simpsons Pinball Party
Theatre of Magic
Twilight Zone
X-Men (Pro)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

To me it's puzzling that it's an EM-type game with a theme like that. Is that something that is supposed to go out on location and earn money? Or is that something to be sold to collectors for $5,000+ when they could buy a new or almost new modern solid state table with a theme that won't embarrass them when guests see it?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

roffels posted:

As I understand it, Stern recently expanded their production lines and are doing contract work for other companies like PPS and the Medieval Madness remake. This looks to be a similar situation.

That's my thought too. The news article says its a partnership with Whizbang Pinball.

That makes more sense. Smaller, boutique run, not 10,000 units and on the front page of the distributor catalog. I don't dislike the theme/layout combo, and I'm sure they'll sell as many as they'll make. Just not on the same scale as AC/DC or Star Trek

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I still have boxed / shrinkwrapped copies of Epic Pinball. The tables are pretty awful.

No I don't know why I have them, leave me alone.

When I was a kid, my dad maxed out the score on Epic Pinball Pot of Gold. The score didn't roll over, the game froze, and the processor melted down.

Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

I'm gonna go to the arcade after work and lose a few more quarters into some tables.

Are there any really great classic tables that you'd recommend to anybody? Its hard because you don't know what tables this arcade has, but they have a poo poo ton of good old stuff. I know they have attack from mars, addams family, pin bot, bride of pin bot, lord of the rings, terminator, multiple star trek tables, circus voltaire, metallica, guns n roses, tales of the arabian nights, etc. Any of those a must-play? Anything really cool I should keep my eye out for?

You can't really go wrong with the top 20 tables from Pinside. https://pinside.com/pinball/top-100

Anything in the top 10 of that is a "drop everything, I need to play that table right now" for me.