Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

zerox147o posted:

Definitely. The vast majority of my losses come from misplays/clicking OK through a phase/F6'ing-- a situation where the cards I was given with the boardstate as it was that was completely winnable. On the other side of that, there have been drafts where I was very unhappy with how the deck looked that I turned off tv/distractions for and managed to win with anyway. Hell, the awful draft I'm thinking of was far more rewarding than the one that I just pulled an Elesh Norn and won literally every game off her(/him/it?).

Listening to LSV draft makes my head spin some times - dude is always thinking 2 or 3 plays into the future. Something I try to do, but fail miserably at most of the time.

I had a few really sweet drafts this weekend - Green can be pretty sweet if you open a few of the bombs because no one seems to draft it at all. One 8-4, I cracked a Garruk, then got passed four spiders in a row (the one that tutors for the web, the one with plummet, and two giant spiders) and then a Hunter's Insight. That was pack one, I ended up with a pretty nice almost mono-green deck splashing a couple of doomblades.

Not sure what everyone was trying to draft that match, but getting passed Sacred Wolves really late is always awesome. I also really like Thran Golem with Trollhide.

Another 8-4 that I did great on was a UW where I opened a Mind Control, and then got passed two Adaptive Automatron guys - went on to draft a bunch of soldier (the Hexproof flyer in blue was nice with this) and a bunch of Banalish Vets. That was a fun deck to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Mornacale posted:

e: Here's a question for you all that I've been mulling over in my head for a couple days. In M12, how maindeckable is Naturalize?

I have been running at least one type of Enchantment removal main deck if it comes down to my 22nd card. There are a number of pretty decent enchantments like Trollhide that can just be a blowout if you come across one.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
It is still an early drop that can at least deal with Pegasus, so there is that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Circle of Flame has to be my favorite sideboard card in M12 limited. I seem to always lose against aggressive BR decks, and that card can just shut down said decks so easily.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

TheAttackSlug posted:

Okie dokie. This thing seems to have cut off some of my commentary, maybe I didn't wait long enough for it to save before going on to the next one. But here is a draft from yesterday in which I pop Inferno Titan, stumble through some mediocre red and green picks to support it, and lose in round two of 4322.

http://www.raredraft.com/watch?d=2wx0i

A couple of things I'm seeing -

p1p3 - The looter is good, I would have taken Jace's Archivist. It's a legitimately good card and the fact that it is there in this pack shows that blue is at least coming your way. If the Archivist isn't there, looter for sure.
p1p4 - Three good blue cards and a bunch of green. Llanowar Elves isn't a card that makes me want to jump into Green, even this early. Again, Blue seems more open than green, especially considering the previous pick.
p1p5 - Taking Rampant Growth over playable dudes like Sacred Wolf or Skywinder Drake is not the way I would go. Sacred Wolf is a much better Green card for both signalling and power.
p1p6 - I'd probably take the Rusted Sentinel here, although a Bear is a Bear (is a bear is a bear)
p2p4 - I'd take the Outrage here. You have a few Webs, but Outrage is just great removal, and it beats the Beserker. Although Beserker + Trollhide is pretty sweet.
p2p5 - Taking the Elite Vanguard here is bad, Trollhide is a great card, especially on Sacred Wolf or Fleetwing.
p3p2 - I'd probably take one of the Green dudes or the red Giant here, as hating the white card really does nothing for your deck.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

subx posted:

Brimstone is a better card, it's just in a terrible color. Red is the worst color by a wide margin, and most of it's bombs are splashable (Devil's play, Oliva, Brimstone, etc). I hate being forced into red in this format.

I had a draft yesterday on MODO where I was first picked Devils Play and ended up with a sweet Black/Red Vampires Deck. I got passed two Stormkirk Nobels and opened up the Werewolf that gives +3 to attackers. I ended up going 2-0 each match, but that was due to getting really lucky draws each game.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'd probably take the Curse there, hoping to table the Witch. Bitterheart Witch + Curse is just filthy.

I do like Fiend Hunter, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Played a sealed pool last night and got my money back by opening Griselbrand and a Cavern of Souls. I ran a BR vampires/humans deck and went 3-1, which exceeded my expectations. I went in completely blind to the majority of spoilers.

I actually ran Griselbrand and got to cast him twice. I also had a few pretty sweet removal cards, the flying 4/3 Demon who makes you sacrifice a creature other than him, the equipment that makes your dude an angel, and then the equipment that boosts your dude if he is a human or angel, which worked pretty well even though I had very few angels.

I also had the red vampire 2cc dude that gets counters whenever dealing damage to a player, and then shoots other guys for the amount of counters on him, who turned out to be a pretty big game for me.

All in all, my first experience with the format was pretty sweet, it is slow and bomb-centric, much like Rise of the Eldrazi was, and I am OK with that.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I am rather surprised at myself this weekend. I did a few MTGO Avacyn swiss drafts and actually won all but one that I did.

My two main observations about this format so far (Draft Avacyn Restored)

Demonic Taskmaster seems rather underdrafted, and I am more than happy to draft black for the sole purpose of taking this guy. He is awesome.

Entreat the Angels is a broken card. I drafted it twice and both times it just straight up won the draft for me. Peeling it and casting for the miracle cost is just too good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Death Wind is a pretty great card in limited. My current favorite is Demonic Taskmaster. Yesterday, I drafted black and was passed 5 of those bad boys. I consider the Taskmaster first-pickable, since you can build around him so easily. Harvester is awesome as well - black seems very strong in Avacyn Restored.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
You don't have to sac a creature if he is the only dude out on your board.

(But if you have two taskmasters out at the same time the effect stacks and you lose both and look like a dumbass.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I always get wrecked by the Soulbound deck - just drafting a bunch of soulbound guys is usually pretty powerful. Mist Raven is pretty filthy as far as commons go. Echoing support for the "Fake Removal" cards - the black enchantment that gives -1/-1 is (sadly) pretty good for the cost.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

InternetJunky posted:

I was in four swiss drafts online today and managed mono-black in all of them. People don't like black in AvR and I don't understand why. Demonic taskmaster with a Predator's Gambit won me more than half my games.

No kidding. Demonic Taskmaster is my current favorite limited card since... Rapacious One in Rise of the Eldrazi. Dude has done tons of work for me so far, and there are so many synergies drafting black/whatever other color to make him a nice centerpiece.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Demonic Taskmaster doing it for me again today, along with the black enchantment that gives your dude +3/+1 and lifelink if he is the only dude out. I love drafting black in this format.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Howlgeist is such a good card. Big fan of Wandering Wolf + Trident.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Forcing Green was probably a bad choice, as you said. I also think you were taking cards in colors you weren't in over playables for your own deck. Here are my thoughts on it:

P1P5 - Mad Prophet is awesome, so I'm glad you took this guy.
P1P6 - I would have taken the Holy Justicar here. He can shut down the loner deck, or just do some serious work in a red/white aggresive deck. At worst he is slow psuedo-removal Angels tomb is also good.
P2P1 - I like Howlgeist a lot here, but I'd try to stick to my guns. Moonlight Geist or Thatcher cut red/white and are still playable.
P2P2 - You've already passed a Thatcher Revolt or two, but I can see taking the Goldknight here. He is a good dude. I would have taken the Pillar (which blanks the Howlgeist)
P2P4 - Hacking Blue and Green is really not making your deck any better.
P2P6 - Would have taken the Lancer, since you have one Righteous Blow already (I also would have taken the Pillar of Flame) - Lancer + the guy who gives haste if soulbound can be a real beatdown on turn 3.
P2P8 - Would have taken a Demolish for the side board here. Again, your deck isn't getting any better by taking a card you're not going to play.
P2P10 - Cursebreak for the board is better. For instance, bring this in to beat the +1/+2 angel enchantment. Or Homicidal Seclusion.
P3P2 - Gang of Devils is better here. Good top end.
P3P4 - I don't think you can consider yourself Really in green here. If anything, splash the Howlgeist. Mad Prophet here all the way.
P3P5 - Cathar - he is cheap and combos with a bunch of other red/white weenies you have already.
P3P6 - I think the pick here is between Tormenters Trident or Mad Prophet, especially if you want to go big with Howlgeist. I would take the Mad Prophet.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Splashed Homicidal Seclusion in a Blue deck with four Ravens, three ghostly flickers, and a bunch of other blue nonsense. That card is so good.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Mono red has to be the nastiest color to draft in AVR limited, if you can pull it off. I just got the poo poo kicked out of me in the final match with a black deck I was sure was going to go 3-0.

Dude had (at least):

- Tibalt
- Three thatcher revolts
- Two of the enchantments that do 1 damage every time a human enters the battlefield under your control
- At least two of the human that does 1 damage every time a human enters the battlefield
- A slew of the under 3 CC Soulbond dudes who give first strike/haste
- A slew of the Kruin Striker guys

I went down hard in two games at like, turn 4.

What kind of stuff beats a deck like this that can do ~8 damage on turn 3?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Gallows is a terrible card. Cool flavor, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Last night I had the same thing happen, only four Mist Ravens, a smuggler, and a Closet. It was glorious.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JAMOOOL posted:

Right, Miracles are swingy, but if a person has Bonfire, on how many turns do you think he'll have a chance to topdeck it and win? Maybe 4-5 per game? AVR games rarely go past turn 9 or 10.

3rd turn Blessing *is* stupid. I agree that Green has some of the dumbest cards (Silverheart and Druid's Familiar come to mind); I dunno - to each their own, I think you can maintain a pretty drat high win % even if you lose to the occassional bomb (and there are a lot of them). On the other hand the lack of removal is the kind of thing you can definitely play into (for example, Geist Trappers is excellent b/c it gums up the board and nothing really takes it out)

Human Frailty is p. good against Geist Trappers. Not much else, though.

Green also has Somberwald Sage, which I think is a pretty sweet card. Churning out turn 4/5 Howlgeist, or being able to splash the awkward colored angels is pretty nice.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

JAMOOOL posted:

ehh, Black can definitely be good but if more than 2 people draft it, nobody winds up with a good deck. You need good uncommons like Blood Artist/Barter/Homicidal Seclusion to make up for the fact that its creatures at common are generally weak. Plus ppl tend to splash Death Wind so your best common is hard to get.

This is so true. If you are the only black drafter at the table, you're golden. It seems like that originally, Black was under-drafted when AVR first came out (at least on MODO) and now people are on to how good it actually is.

The good news is that Homicidal Seclusion is easily splashable and you can use it in most decks (aside from the Soulbound ones) pretty successfully.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Living the dream.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Snacksmaniac posted:

"Do you know how many pieces of removal I have in my five color deck"

Edit: Sad that you couldn't squeeze Future Sight in.

There must be an influx of bad chat spamming sore-losers in MODO lately. Last night I drafted AVR and I played a guy with a mono-white deck who kept getting flooded. Game 1 he resolved a Seraph of Dawn, which I Bone Splintered off a Butcher Ghoul, only to have him bring it back with Defy Death. I Bone Splintered it again :smug:. Then he resolved that +0/+3 shield artifact and the white enchantment that gives you a 1/1 soldier on your upkeep. I won that game.

Game 2, he kept a 1 land hand on the play, and I proceeded to beat him down with Wandering Wolves. He never drew another land. :smug:

The amount of rage was awesome.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I hardly, if ever, interact with people directly in chat. I usually just use the canned "Hello and Good Luck." and maybe a smiley or two.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Are there any sites it places I can learn about the different combos in the MTGO cube?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm pretty sure JAMOOOL doesn't even play Magic - just posts terribly about it.

e: For content, I won my first MTGO cube draft last night with a reanimator deck. Was a good feeling.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I'm about to draft Onslaught for the first time in my life! I've never drafted old sets before.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Any idea when Cube will be back on MTGO?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've tried drafting a ton of different strategies in Onslaught (well, the ones that seemed viable) and I always scrub out in the first round against some nuts mono black deck :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I usually take the Wind Drake, since I normally don't draft aggressive blue decks, and I don't like my Blue cards to have downsides if I can help it.

If I'm in Blue White and have a bunch of aggressive fliers, I'll take the Tarn. If I need two drops in my blue deck, I will also take the Tarn over the Drake.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
M13 is great - the only thing I dislike are the Rings, oddly enough. I've had a few games where the opponent would equip and just sit around waiting for his guy to get a bunch of +1/+1 counters on it.

On the other hand, beating down with an unblockable 5/7 Scroll Thief with Hexproof is fun, as is throwing the Red ring on a Slumbering Dragon.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I agree that the rings are much better than the charms, absolutely. I just think the +1/+1 counter mechanic is a bit boring to play with/against.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

kickascii posted:

Here's my stray m13 observations after 12 or 13 drafts online.

- Many decks can end up clunky. You can do pretty well if you can draft a nice curve.
- Green was underdrafted in general from what I could tell, and the easiest to play a consistent beatdown curve
- The creature enchantments are all better than average in this format. Whoever called the black mark 'an armadillo cloak level blowout' was not exaggerating, and I agree 100%.
- top 5 uncommons: 1) talrand's invocation 2) vampire nighthawk 3) arms dealer 4) garruk's pack leader 5) switcheroo
- Chronomaton is underdrafted, this thing is good.
- I think blue is my favorite color, it's the deepest, and the format is slow enough where essence scatter, negate, and rewind turn out to be very useful. The blue ring is one of the best because of the hexproof ability.

I agree with all of these points except on Chronomaton. I've always hated guys you have to spend mana to make good after they hit the board. If they don't have an answer for him, he can do some serious work, but I've seen Chronomaton get blown out by random Encrusts/Naturalizes/Unsummon/etc.

Granted, he is a 1 mana dude, but still - the risk is there.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
True, I have seen the error of my ways.

The guy I "blew out" was probably more of a product of 3x Unsummon + 3x Archomancer. Fun times.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've been striking out like crazy in M13 8-4s over the past few days, but last night I won three in a row, which is the best streak I've been able to pull of on MTGO.

Draft 1 was a nice UB control deck with:

- Sphinx
- 3x Murder
- 2x Public Execution
- 2x Essence Drain
- 2x Unsummon
- 2x Archomancer
- 1x Switcharoo
- 1x Talrand
- 1x Talrand Invocation

I was the only blue/black drafter at the table, which was weird, but I'm not complaining. By far the filthiest deck I've ever drafted, admittedly getting very lucky on opening packs and getting stuff passed to me. Switcharoo + Unsummon is a pretty good combo, if a bit clunky.

Second draft was a random white/black Exalted deck, which is a pretty good archtype. Tormented Soul + Mark of the Vampire + Exalted is a pretty good setup to have.

Draft 3 was the most ridiculous thing I've ever drafted. Opened Flames of the Firebrand, got passed Krenko, and went deep on Goblins after that. Ended up with a Red/green deck:

- 1x Krenko, Mob Boss
- 3x Mogg Flunkies
- 2x Goblin Arms Dealer
- 2x Krenko's Command
- 1x Rancor

I had a bunch of other random Goblins (Arsonist, etc.) I also drafted a Fervor, which I didn't think would be good until I started dropping big green dorks with Haste, which was pretty good. Each time I resolved Krenko I had an Arms Dealer in my hand, so playing an Arms Dealer on a board with 10+ goblin tokens is pretty much the best thing ever.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Monvuli Beast Tracker is annoying. I like having it in some decks, but playing it and then just putting a card on top of your library to draw next turn can be sketchy.

It would be a lot sweeter if it was a May clause, but it isn't. Although in a green/black deck, it can be pretty good (tutoring up Giant Scorpions and Deadly Recluses is never that terrible.)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I played Worldwake/Zendikar/Rise once, it was really strange, at least with all the different mechanics in ROE.

INN/DKA/AVR might work a bit better, but I've never played it.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

meanolmrcloud posted:

Yea, the upsides are too good not to play. Hitting sleep in a Semi-aggro r/x deck is totally bonkers.

I've been on many a receiving end of a Mindclaw Shaman blowout, most recently while I was holding Divination, Public Execution, Sign in Blood, and Murder. Not cool!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Although if you were playing against a guy with a Trading Post in his deck, you're probably going to do OK anyway.