Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
There are currently several series airing on SyFy which aren't being covered in their own threads. Some of which Goons probably watch or are at least worth a look. I figured we needed a thread to help cover these series. These include original honest to god science fiction serials and some of their barely sci-fi related reality fare. Syfy has been Syfy now for several years, and they've actually been turning it around!? Yes, for real, Syfy seems to be making an effort to try out some fun sci-fi/fantasy shows, as well as some harder sci-fi shows. They've dumped a lot of their reality fare and left behind the WWE. A new dawn? Seems like it!

Here are some highlights with show bios:

Originals:

Channel Zero - An American horror anthology television series created by Nick Antosca. The series was greenlit for two 6-episode, self-contained seasons. Storylines for the series are based on popular creepypastas, including Candle Cove, No End House, Butchers Block and The Dream Door. Has a thread here.

Happy! - HAPPY! is based on Grant Morrison and Darick Robertson’s graphic novel of the same name. The series follows Nick Sax (Christopher Meloni, Law & Order: SVU) – an intoxicated, corrupt ex-cop turned hit man, who is adrift in a world of casual murder, soulless sex and betrayal. After a hit gone wrong, his inebriated life is forever changed by a tiny, relentlessly positive, imaginary blue winged horse named Happy (Patton Oswalt). Has a thread here.

Killjoys - From the producers of Orphan Black and the creator of Lost Girl, Killjoys follows a fun-loving, hard living trio of interplanetary bounty hunters sworn to remain impartial as they chase deadly warrants throughout the Quad, a distant system on the brink of a bloody, multi-planetary class war. Has a thread here.

Krypton - Set two generations before the destruction of the legendary Man of Steel’s home planet, Krypton follows Superman’s grandfather, whose House of El was ostracized and shamed, as he fights to redeem his family’s honor and save his beloved world from Brainiac. Has a thread here.

The Magicians - Quentin Coldwater enrolls at Brakebills College for Magical Pedagogy to be trained as a magician, where he discovers that the magical world from his favorite childhood books is real and poses a danger to humanity. Meanwhile, the life of his childhood friend Julia is derailed when she is denied entry, and she searches for magic elsewhere. Has a thread here.

Van Helsing - Vanessa "Van" Helsing (the descendant of Abraham Van Helsing) is resurrected in a post-apocalyptic world, three years after her death, to lead a resistance against the vampires that plague it.

Wynona Earp - Wynonna Earp follows Wyatt Earp's great granddaughter as she battles demons and other creatures. With her unique abilities, and a posse of dysfunctional allies, she's the only thing that can bring the paranormal to justice.

Z Nation - Z Nation starts three years after the ZN1 zombie virus has gutted the country, a team of everyday heroes must transport the only known survivor of the plague from New York to California, where the last functioning viral lab waits for his blood. Although the antibodies he carries are the world’s last, best hope for a vaccine, he hides a dark secret that threatens them all. With humankind’s survival at stake, the ragtag band embarks on a journey of survival across three thousand miles of rusted-out post-apocalyptic America. Has a thread here.

Other Series with SA Discussion Threads -
The Expanse [Completed on Syfy, Renewed on Amazon]
Mystery Science Theater 3000 [Completed on Syfy, Renewed on Netflix]
Stargate Atlantis, SG-1, Universe [All canceled but complete more or less]
Twelve Monkeys [Completed on Syfy]

Old School Original Series and Mini-Series - The channel also has been known for making some other series which have completed:
Ascension (6 Episodes) - U.S. generational ship launched in the 1960's faces its first murder after 50 years in space.
Battlestar Galactica (79 Episodes), Caprica (20 Episodes), Blood and Chrome (2 Episodes) - Humanity made robots, they rebelled and nuked everyone. The human survivors flee in search of a legendary planet called "Earth".
Dark Matter (39 Episodes) - Space ship passengers wake up with no memories of who they are, eventually learning they're evil mercenaries. Can they turn their lives around?
Defiance (38 Episodes) - Following the arrival of aliens fleeing the destruction of their home system, Earth gets re-shaped in a terrorist attack. The remains of humanity and the alien colonists must now pick back up the pieces and try to live together.
Dominion (21 Episodes) - Angels versus demons in Las Vegas. Based on the movie of the same name.
The Dresden Files (12 Episodes) - Based on the book series about a wizard in the modern day who works with the police.
Eureka (77 Episodes) - Comedic super-science drama about a sheriff looking after a small town full of scientists.
Farscape (88 Episodes + 4 Episode Mini-series) - Astronaut gets transported far off into space where he joins the crew of a living ship full of former prisoners.
First Wave (66 Episodes) - Nostradamus quatrains predict the destruction of the planet.
Haven (78 Episodes) - An FBI agent comes to a small town in Maine for an investigation and finds its citizens wield strange powers and that her own past may be tied up with theirs.
Helix (26 Episodes) - CDC scientists versus Evil Corp and their weird viral plagues.
Invisible Man (46 Episodes) - Guy can turn invisible thanks to "Quicksilver gland".
The Lost Room (3 Episodes) - Everyday objects which were in a motel room during some unknown incident in the 60s grant strange powers to the holders.
Sanctuary (59 Episodes) - Green-screen show starring Amanda Tapping, about an organization that seeks out extraordinarily-powered creatures and people.
Warehouse 13 (64 Episodes) - Objects of historical note which obtain magical powers are tracked by government agents before they fall into the wrong hands.

Original series of dubious quality: Andromeda, Flash Gordon, Painkiller Jane, Tremors, Tripping the Rift, Who Wants to be a Superhero?.

Other "Originals" aka Canadian Imports - Syfy also picks up to air several shows which originally aired in Canada, these included Bitten, Continuum and Lost Girl.

Syfy Original Movies - Everyone is familiar with these. The low-budget ($1 M dollar range) movies which SyFy either makes or buys the rights to and airs on weekends. These tend to be some of the best performers for them and gives the channel pretty good bang for their buck money to ratings wise. Typically the movies will feature some cryptozoological horror or recent real-life incident hyped to schlocky B-movie levels. ex. If there's an outbreak of some new flu virus in goats, expect "Goat-Flu Zombie Apocalypse" to hit later that year. Syfy's biggest hits in this genre have been Sharknado 1, 2, 3 and the upcoming Sharknado 4.

Reality/Competition:

There is none other than Face Off? Somehow, I don't think there's any currently being produced by the network. Doesn't mean they won't try again I guess.

Face Off - Special Effects make-up reality show. It has nothing to do with Nicholas Cage or John Travolta. Here's Syfy's write up: "The contestants are tasked with elaborate feature challenges including executing full body paint make up on models and creating their own horror villain. Not only will the show incorporate effects make-up, it will include a wide range of skill sets including prosthetics, 3-D design, sculpting, eye enhancers, casting and molding. Each episode involves incredible reveals of the competitors' finished work, and the drama of one contestant being sent home by the panel of expert and celebrity judges. It all culminates in one winner and one grand prize that will launch a career." Has a thread here. Next season starts January 2017.

Current SyFy Schedule:

http://www.syfy.com/schedule/index.php?__source=Syfy_Global_Nav

SyFY on Hulu:

http://www.hulu.com/network/syfy?sort=popularity

Upcoming shows to keep an eye out for:

---

Non-Original programming Syfy picks up the rights to many complete/incomplete shows which aired on other networks. Some of these are classics or shows which were canceled early.

The Twilight Zone (Rod Serling's classic anthology series featuring fantasy, science fiction, suspense, or horror stories. Many recognizable actors can be seen in very classic stories)

SyFy also has the rights to a couple of other shows which aren't on normal rotation, but which may air as marathons: Invasion, Jericho, Level 9, Moonlight, Special Unit 2. You'll also get the occasional classic series back for a marathon or two like Green Hornet or Tales From The Darkside.

Big Event Movies

Every year Syfy tries to attract the normals by making a big event mini-series with cross-over appeal which will feature a few name actors. This sometimes involves their take on well known public domain fable or fantasy stories. In the past they've done mini-series like Alice (a take on Alice in Wonderland) and Tin Man (a take on Wizard of Oz) and Neverland (which is their take on a Peter Pan prequel)

Teek fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Sanctuary needs to know its limits. This past episode had some horrid CG for the werewolves. Their background or location CG is passable to good (the hologram city looks fantastic), creature CG seems to always be spotty.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I'm not sure how active a hand Syfy takes in the cheap movie development, or if they just spend $$$ to air them. It always seems to be the same production companies making them.

On that note, Syfy just sent out a press release with their upcoming slate for the next year:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...m-kitchen/73000

Good lord. "Marcel’s Quantum Kitchen"? Who at the network thought that was a good idea? Face Off sounds bad too, but it at least has some barely strained tie in to Science Fiction.

Why they didn't renew CHA$E or the fun Estate of Panic is beyond me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

They're all pretty crappy. Seems like the ones with the more clever names tend to be the better of the bunch, so a little more effort was put into Mansquito and Sharktopus than something like Dinoshark. And by a "little more effort" I mean they got a hundred more dollars to spend on effects.

Looks like Wikipedia was nice enough to list all of them:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Syfy_original_films

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wonder who decides which shows to remake, rather than just bring over? I guess they'll do it with shows which are easy to transition over which they think would be a bigger hit than the limited run British one(?) They're showing Merlin and Primeval but remaking Being Human. Merlin I can see why they'd stick with the British version, Primeval seems like an easy series to remake though.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just a reminder, Eureka and Warehouse 13 will be airing their Christmas themed episodes tomorrow evening.

Also has anyone watched the web series Riese: Kingdom Falling on Syfy.com? Apparently it was a solo web series like Sanctuary which SyFy picked up for additional web series episodes. It features a lot of known Vancouver actors from different sci-fi series like Allison Mack and Alessandro Juliani.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Syfy has picked up Alphas to series, it's another "powers" based show. This time they're people with some form of mental skills:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/12/syfy-picks-up-alphas-pilot-to-series/

Three Inches is also alive, another powers series, with the "wacky" premise that the title character can move objects with his mind... but only for three inches.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Ghost Hunters seems to have two sides, the show side where they go more mainstream and play down the wacky paranormal stuff and their website and magazine which caters more towards the fringe stuff.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Positive light spoiler review of the first three episodes of Syfy's remake of Being Human:

http://io9.com/5720075/how-does-syfys-being-human-stack-up-to-the-uk-version-our-spoiler+free-review

If you don't know anything about the show, it goes into things just a tiny bit.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Just some random notes about the channel for this month:

Ghost Hunters International started up their new season tonight, Robb has been jettisoned and Barry is the new team lead. Kris from the original Ghost Hunters has also been added to the team. Britt from GH is also there, but don't expect him to be there long, as he was apparently fired not too long into the season.

Being Human the remake of the British series starts up soon, Monday January 17th. It's been getting good early reviews so far.

Merlin's third season premieres this Friday after Smackdown.

Syfy's new realty series Face Off about a make up special effects competition starts January 26th.

Syfy will be running a day long marathon of the original Green Hornet series which featured Bruce Lee next Tuesday January 11th.

Ani-Monday is apparently Ani-Tuesday now, they're showing Gurren Lagann currently.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Jane Espenson and Drew Greenberg are developing a pilot for a remake of the British show Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased). It deals with a detective who is murdered and comes back as a ghost to help his partner solve crimes. I'm not familiar with the original from the 70s or the remake from 2000. Has anyone seen the original? Did they do much with the premise?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/13/buffy-randall-hopkirk-syfy/

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Bump reminder that the U. S. remake of Being Human premieres tonight at 8 PM CST. It'll be on at the same time as The Cape, a little bit of crossover audience there. Being Human will be replayed at 9 PM CST and about 30 more times throughout the week.

Early word seems to be that Being Human has good casting and acts as a worthy enough remake of the original.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Being Human was pretty good, the only thing which bugged was Pellegrino suprisingly. I'm sure his character will grow on me though as the season goes along.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Updated the OP with info on Face Off which starts next Wednesday and Alphas which starts this summer. Also updated it to include some info about non-originals airing on the channel.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I was mainly highlighting original series they're still airing or things which aren't but which we have threads for. I didn't see those on the schedule, they'd be part of pickups from other networks. Everyone is free to talk about other past shows though which they have shown, always a chance they could bring them back.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I wish Syfy would show Sliders again. It aired on Fox for the first three seasons, then was picked up by Sci-Fi for the last two. It hasn't been seen in a long rear end time. It seems like a concept which could be revived at some point, just in the hands of competant show runners this time around, and hopefully without a revolving cast.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 23, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Any future series really need to think about where they'll film. BSG worked because it was largely ship based, and when we did see planets they managed to find enough varied locales around Vancouver to make them different. Then you have something like the Flash Gordon remake, which was Earth-based. It was shot in that same area and came off looking cheap.

Going the Sanctuary/Spartacus route seems like it could work for other series, you just have to have talented artists on the back end making everything look good or at least stylized. Then you have something like V which just has horrible green screen work.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Anyone else watch Face Off last night? I thought it was decent. I think as a competition it was structured fairly well. The "reality" show faux conflict was kept to a minimum, mainly coming from two guys who happened to already know each other and another guy who was a loud mouth and got called on his behavior.

I was also impressed with the winning team's animal-human hybrid design. It looked professional and was a lot more impressive than some of the others.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jan 27, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Wasn't really impressed with any of the alien creatures this third episode of Face Off. The one that won had some nice work on the head, but they kinda cheated by covering up 80% of the model with the gown.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

What do you get when you team up Houdini, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and a female cop?

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/syfy-developing-series-about-harry-houdini-and-arthur-conan-doyle-solving-mysteries/

Guess we'll find out.

Sounds good in theory, not exactly high on the "it'll have steampunk!" thing, as I think that's getting a bit played out, but it seems like it could be the basis for a good series. Focus on spiritualism and the occult, throw in some Aleister Crowley for good measure.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

The "two camps" thing strikes me as a bit fake, it really seems like it's just three people. Megan and Conor, and then the clueless ears chick who seems to have problems with Megan. Everyone else is doing their own thing but annoyed by the BS between Megan and Jo.

I really like some of the villains last night. Conor's demon was generic as hell. The teddy bear thing and the big head guy were pretty awesome. I would be interested to see how the big head guy would turn out with more time to work on it.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 17, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I may do that in the next week if someone else doesn't.

In other news, Sffy announced premiere dates for some returning and new series:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/blogs/live-feed/syfy-announces-sanctuary-stargate-universe-160094

Hollywood Reporter posted:

The third series in the Stargate franchise will return for its last 10 episodes on Monday, March 7 at 10 p.m.

Sanctuary, starring Amanda Tapping, returns to finish out its third season Friday, April 15 at 10 p.m.

Marcel’s Quantum Kitchen, a new series following Top Chef Marcel Vigneron, debuts Tuesday, March 22 at 10 p.m.

Destination Truth returns with a live St. Patricks Day episode on Thursday, March 17 at 9 p.m. for its Season 4.5 premiere before moving to Tuesdays at 9 p.m. beginning March 22.

The second season of Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files has been set for Wednesday, March 23 at 10 p.m., following a new episode of Ghost Hunters.

Syfy will also premiere several original movies, including Battle of Los Angeles on Saturday, March 12 at 9 p.m., the day after the Battle: Los Angeles film is released in theaters. Scream of the Banshee, about a college professor and her students who hear the horrifying scream of a Banshee, premieres Saturday, March 26 at 9 p.m. Ferocious Planet is slated for Saturday, April 9 at 9 p.m. and Roadkill premieres Saturday, April 23 at 9 p.m.

Syfy also picked up the rights to re-air Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles starting April 7th:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/02/22/syfy-sarah-connor-chronicles-exclusive/

Teek fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Feb 22, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Tom was absolutely robbed, that really doesn't help the show's reputation that Megan remained.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

In regards to Megan, I just have to assume that the work done on the face didn't translate across on TV. It looks like it had some nice work, but all the blood red really didn't let us see much in the way of detail which may have been good.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Glad that Megan was finally sent home, she was terrible tonight, furthering cementing that Tom was screwed last week.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Depends on the show, since this was the first season, I'm sure SyFy didn't want to dump too much money into it yet. This seems to be popular though, and actually did a tiny bit better in the ratings than Ghost Hunters last week, so I figure season 2 is a lock. Which might mean a longer season next time around, possibly going final 3 rather than final 4.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Was happy with the top 3 in Face Off. Connor's came off a lot better than I thought it would, as his original statement that it would be a basic witch didn't seem to be him pushing himself. The elemental wood nature of her though worked well.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Awesome to see a quick renew.

Just a couple scheduling notes. Destination Truth is having a Ghost Hunters-esque live show tonight for Saint Patrick's Day in Ireland. They'll be doing a live investigation of a castle for four hours starting at 6 PM CST. After tonight's live show, the series will start airing new episodes on Tuesdays at 8 PM.

Also Fact or Faked will return next week with new episodes.

Marcel's Quantum Kitchen will premiere next week after Destination Truth, having not seen it I can't fully judge, but it seems like a blatant play to get non-genre viewers to the channel.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Coming to Syfy after being passed over by Travel Channel, Discovery, VH1, Bravo, etc., etc..

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/03/21/tommy-lee-syfy/

I made up the last part, but I have a feeling it's probably true in some form.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Even more reality on the way:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110322/tv_nm/us_syfy

Syfy via Hollywood Reporter posted:

"Haunted Collector," a working title, centers on a family of renowned paranormal investigators who spend their time tracking down haunted items. The family then houses its collections -- think guns, jewelry, paintings and dolls -- in its museum.

The series will be paired with the second season of "Hollywood Treasure," beginning in June.

A month later, Syfy will roll out "Legend Quest," an action-adventure series that follows real-life symbologist Ashley Cowie as he travels the world in search of hidden, mystical artifacts. Each episode is designed to combine Indiana Jones-style adventure and Da Vinci Code-type connections as theories are explored.

Finally, "Paranormal Witness," a drama-documentary series, will bring to life the stories of people who claim to have lived through paranormal experiences. Episodes will feature a mixture of first-hand testimony and gritty drama. It is set to premiere in September.

Haunted Collector sounds ridiculous. "Yeah man, my old Atari is totally haunted." Actually that would be fun if it's like that episode of Aqua Teen.

Legend Quest sounds passable, it's been done before, but really, how many of these items can they ever hope to find? You're not going to find the Ark of the Covenant, but maybe they can find Sankara Stone level items.

Paranormal Witness just sounds boring. Though if they could do it like Unsolved Mysteries, that might work. Though you'd need to resurrect Robert Stack first.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Hollywood Treasure gets annoying with the "So how about we auction item X that you own?" "Nah, not for sale." That seems to happen each episode. Maybe those will work better when the collector finally comes back in a later season and actually has them auction it, otherwise it seems like pointless filler to try and make up for some of the crap they're left auctioning.

Teek fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Mar 23, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Here's Syfy's upfront:

Syfy posted:

NEW SCRIPTED SERIES

Alphas -- Premiering in July -- Alphas follows a team of ordinary citizens whose brain anomalies imbue them with extraordinary mental and physical abilities. Taking the law into their own hands, the unlikely team, led by Dr. Leigh Rosen (Emmy Award-winner and Oscar nominee David Strathairn) investigates cases that suggest other Alpha activity to uncover what the CIA, FBI and Pentagon have not been able, or willing, to solve. These gifted individuals must balance their quirky personalities and disparate backgrounds with their not always visible powers as they work to solve crimes, stop the ticking time bomb and catch the enemy.

Alphas also stars Malik Yoba, Warren Christie, Laura Mennell, Ryan Cartwright and Azita Ghanizada, and is a production of Universal Cable Productions and BermanBraun Television. Executive Producers are Gail Berman, Lloyd Braun and Gene Stein for BermanBraun, Zak Penn and Ira Steven Behr.

NEW REALITY SERIES

Haunted Collector (working title) -- Premiering in June -- Ghosts and spirits inhabit more than just homes and buildings -- they can also live in objects. John Zaffis and his family are renowned paranormal investigators, tracking down haunted items like paintings, guns, jewelry and dolls. Once identified, the items are collected and stored in their museum, helping John's clients bring normalcy back to their lives. Produced by Gurney Productions. Executive producers: Scott Gurney and Dierdre Gurney.

Legend Quest -- Premiering in July -- This fast-paced action-adventure series follows Ashley Cowie, a real-life symbologist, as he travels the world in search of some of history's greatest relics and artifacts, all of which are believed to hold hidden powers and mystical significance for ancient and modern cultures. Each episode will include IndianaJones-type adventure and Da Vinci Code-style connections as the hidden truths and alternative theories of these mythical objects are explored. Legend Quest is executive produced by John Brenkus and Mickey Stern for BASE Productions, and is a co-production with Universal Networks International.

Paranormal Witness -- Premiering in September -- From Raw TV, the acclaimed creative team behind Locked Up Abroad and Gold Rush Alaska, this tense, filmic and high-octane drama-documentary series brings to life the stories of people who have lived through paranormal experiences that defy explanation. Using the mixture of intimate first-hand testimony and grittily realistic drama that Raw TV is known for, Paranormal Witness will transport the audience into a world turned upside down by extraordinary and terrifying events. Paranormal Witness is produced by Raw TV. Executive producers: Dimitri Doganis and Bart Layton.

SCRIPTED DEVELOPMENT/DRAMA

Battlestar: Blood & Chrome -- Luke Pasqualino (Skins-UK) and Ben Cotton (Hellcats) star in Battlestar: Blood & Chrome, which takes place in the 10th year of the first Cylon war. As the battle between humans and their creation, a sentient robotic race, rages across the 12 colonial worlds, a brash rookie viper pilot enters the fray. Ensign William Adama (Pasqualino), barely in his 20's and a recent Academy graduate, finds himself assigned to one of the most powerful ships in the Colonial fleet, the Galactica. The talented but hot-headed risk-taker soon finds himself leading a dangerous top secret mission that, if successful, will turn the tide of the decade-long war in favor of the desperate fleet. Executive producers: David Eick and Michael Taylor. Written by Michael Taylor from a story by David Eick, Taylor and Bradley Thompson and David Weddle. A production of Universal Cable Productions.

SCRIPTED DEVELOPMENT/SINGLE CAMERA HALF-HOURS

Three Inches -- In Three Inches, professional daydreamer and underachiever Walter Spackman is struck by lightning and develops a unique "super" power -- the ability to move any object using just his mind... but only a distance of three inches. He's soon immersed in a world of extraordinarily ordinary people like himself and learns that "super" is just a state of mind. The pilot is written by Harley Peyton (Twin Peaks), who also serves as executive producer. Fox Television Studios is producing with executive producer Robert Cooper, through his company Landscape Entertainment.

In the Dark -- In the Dark follows a misfit group of third tier ghost hunters whose misguided efforts tend to highlight their incompetence rather than any paranormal activity. From Universal Cable Productions, In the Dark is executive produced by Dan Taberski through Idiot Box Productions, Michael Davidoff and Bill Rosenthal. Teleplay by Michael Davidoff & Bill Rosenthal.

Me and Lee -- Me and Lee is about a down on his luck 20-something who goes in for back surgery, but the procedure doesn't go well. Enter Lee Majors, who claims he has the perfect solution. He entices the young man into his ultra high-tech lab and makes him bionic. Majors becomes the unlikeliest of mentors helping the young man get his life back together. Jenji Kohan, the executive producer and creator of Weeds, serves as the executive producer of Me and Lee along with the writer Matthew Salzberg, Allan Loeb and Steven Pearl. Produced by Lionsgate.

REALITY DEVELOPMENT

Culture Shock with Tommy Lee -- This one-hour investigative travel show follows Montley Crue's Tommy Lee as he attempts to uncover the various rituals, symbols and other mysteries of secret societies around the world. Tommy Lee will dig into the history behind the secret society, search out its meeting locations and members, and meet with former members to reveal the society's rituals and deepest secrets. A production of ITV Studios America. Executive producers: Tommy Lee and Carl Stubner. Supervising producer: Jenna Barnes.

Monster Man - When Hollywoodstudios want a bizarre creature, monster prop or out-of-this world alien, they turn to Cleve Hall and his very unique, family business. This series goes behind the scenes of Cleve's workshop, where the craziness of this fun family is matched only by the insane monsters they build. Produced by Gurney Productions. Executive producers: Scott Gurney and Dierdre Gurney.

Stunts Unlimited -- Stunts Unlimited is an elite and exclusive fraternity of artists committed to a very imaginative, creative, unique and dangerous craft -- movie stunts. This series takes audiences behind-the-scenes into a world rarely seen, unveiling the innovations and problem solving necessary to accomplish the most spectacular stunts in Hollywood. With their lives on the line with every stunt, the members of Stunts Unlimited form a close-knit work family, helping them balance the challenges of their jobs and their families. Executive producers: Ric Roman Waugh and Gary Binkow.

Hi Tech Hoaxes -- The series where the supernatural, the mythical and the astonishing leave the big screen and step into people's everyday lives. Each week two teams will go head-to-head to provide a once-in-a-lifetime experience for an unsuspecting pair of people, who are about to have their world turned upside down for a brief, thrilling moment. Teams of engineers, tech geniuses and pranksters will draw their inspiration from requests sent by ordinary people who want to execute the hoax on friends, family, colleagues, customers, kids, parents or even pupils. They'll rely on the technical know- how and the resourcefulness of the teams to make it happen. But it needs to be hyper-convincing because these hoaxes are going to be happening in the real world in plain sight. Produced by North One Television.

Dinner with Deepak -- If you could invite three people to dinner, who would they be? Best selling author and spiritual teacher Dr. Deepak Chopra dines and joins in conversation with some of the greatest minds and creators in the world today. In every episode, Chopra brings together a group of noteworthy guests to share a meal and a conversation ranging in topic from the spiritual, political and scientific to supernatural, designed to challenge our standard conventions and push the boundaries of viewers' imaginations and intellects. Executive producers: Deepak Chopra, Gotham Chopra, Tim Piper and Sharad Devarajan.

TylerShields -- A docu-series featuring unconventional photographer Tyler Shields and his team as they create worlds that are always surprising, shocking, and totally surreal. This Los Angeles-based artist is one of the most creative and original photographers working today. His subjects are celebrities, actors, models, and everyday people captured in magical, beautiful, and often dangerous situations. His eye-popping, jaw-dropping photos are designed to elicit the subject's purest emotion right in the moment using no special effects. A production of RelativityREAL. Executive producers: Tom Forman, Tyler Shields and Zach Quinto.

Overthunk -- A one-hour series that follows two teams of four talented creators as they compete to design, build and set off massive chain reaction machines. The best gizmo gladiators across Americawill face off in a weekly contest testing their mettle through gears and metal. Each week visits a new city, where natural rivals race against the clock and each other to brainstorm and build a fantastic apparatus that completes a specific task and keeps viewers holding their breath to see if these contraptions will actually work. Along the way, surprise "monkey wrenches" will challenge their minds and their patience. Produced by 25/7 Productions. Executive producer: Dave Broome.

Change the Day You Die -- Change the Day You Die is an inspiring new reality series that uses state-of-the-art science to dramatically transport its participants into the future to face their own self-inflicted demise. Each of the seemingly healthy, unsuspecting candidates -- nominated by friends, family and loved ones -- will go on a 10-week transformational journey where they must master a series of mental and physical challenges designed to reverse their bad habits and add back valuable lost years to their lives. Through medical-condition simulators, life-enhancing technology, unique graphics and special effects, each participant will experience firsthand the grim reality of their potential future so that they have the opportunity to change their ways before it's too late. Produced by 3 Ball Productions/Eyeworks USA. Executive Producers: JD Roth and Todd A. Nelson (3 Ball Productions/Eyeworks USA) and Danny Fenton (Zig Zag Productions).

Imagination Nation -- The innovators behind Hammacher Schlemmer, America's oldest continuously published catalog that offers imaginatively unexpected and innovative products, go on the road to meet inventors from all walks of life to find fresh offerings for their inventory. Produced by North South Productions. Executive producers: Charlie DeBevoise and Mark Hickman.

America's Smartest Kids -- A thought provoking, reality competition show where the country's most imaginative, innovative teenagers are challenged to invent a better future while competing for the title of America's Smartest Kid. Executive producers: David Zelon and Michael Sardo.

SATURDAY ORIGINAL MOVIES

Red Faction: Origins -- 2011 -- Robert Patrick (Terminator 2), Brian J. Smith (Stargate Universe) and Kate Vernon(Battlestar Galactica) star in Red Faction: Origins, based on the hugely successful Red Faction video game franchise. Twenty-five years have passed since Alec Mason (Patrick) led the Martian Colonies to freedom and 12 years since vengeful enemies killed his wife, kidnapped his daughter Lyra (Tamzin Merchant), and left a broken hero in their wake.

Jake Mason (Smith), Alec's only son and an officer in the Red Faction Militia, has his world turned inside out when he discovers that now, 12 years after her kidnapping, his sister is still alive. As a powerful new enemy swarms across the planet, Jake goes out to find her, only to learn that his lost sister is one of them a cold-blooded soldier sworn to destroy the Red Faction. Red Faction: Origins is produced by Universal Cable Productions and UFO Films.

Zombie Apocalypse (working title) -- October 2011 -- Months after a zombie plague has wiped out 90 percent of the American population, a small group of survivors fight their way cross-country to a rumored refuge on the island of Catalina. A production of The Asylum.

Gretl -- November 2011 -- As an adult, a witch hunter (Hansel) returns to the village where he lived as a child to find and kill the witch who killed his sister, Gretl (Shannen Doherty), only to find that Gretl is not dead and danger lurks around every corner. Produced by Chesler/Permutter Productions & Vesuvius Productions.

Snowmageddon (working title) - December 2011 -- A story about a mystical snow globe that makes very bad things happen in the real world when it is shaken. A production of Cinetel.

Bigfoot - 2012 -- 1970's pop culture icons Danny Bonaduce (The Partridge Family) and Barry Williams (The Brady Bunch) face off in the hunt for the legendary mountain creature. A production of The Asylum.

St. Patrick's Day Leprechaun (working title) -- St Patrick's Day, Saturday, March 17th, 2012 -- An evil leprechaun who has been imprisoned within the roots of a majestic old oak tree, is accidentally set loose on St. Patrick's Day. Once free, he takes out his bloody revenge on the descendants of the people who originally imprisoned him. A production of After Dark Films.

Roswell -- June 2012 - The story selected by fans for Syfy and IGN.com's B Movie Mogul project, 65 years after the original UFO crash at Roswell, another ship from the same far-off civilization comes to rescue their downed comrades - and continue their preparation to invade the earth. Directed by Jason Connery (Area 51, The Devil's Tomb). A production of After Dark Films.

JerseyShoreShark Attack -- 2012 -- While everyone else runs scared, vacationing Jerseyites fend off shark attacks on the shore. A production of ARO Entertainment.

Dungeons and Dragons 4 (working title) -- September 2012 -- A princess and a rogue knight become reluctant heroes inside a magical kingdom. A production of After Dark Films with Silver Pictures.

You certainly have a lot of winners there Syfy... :downs:

Most of the reality shows in development they list there will probably suffer from the one thing I hate in "reality" shows. Artificial conflict and drama within the cast to give some weight to the proceedings. I don't give a poo poo that person X is fighting with person Y, especially in non-competition based shows. That and artificially imposed deadlines. "We only have two days to do it or we'll in trouble!" SHUT UP, it's your own drat show, which takes weeks of prep and development, you didn't just start the process 3 days before X happens.

Shows which may have promise: Alphas, BSG Blood and Chrome, Three Inches, Legend Quest and Overthunk. Hi Tech Hoaxes sounds like a behind the scenes Scare Tactics on steroids, which could be cool.

What I'm also seeing is a lack of real genre busting series ideas. Where's the next Farscape or Lexx? Something which pushes the boundaries of what they can do? With so many series it seems like they're just throwing crap at the wall and hoping it sticks. I would gladly trade in 4-5 of those reality shows for one solid try at a new series which goes beyond "everyday life + weirdness" that they do on the cheap.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 25, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Unfortunately there's a big difference there, being a "reality" show, Quantum Kitchen is probably cheap as poo poo to make and thus easier to keep around.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

For people who have missed Joe Flanigan of Stargate Atlantis fame, he'll be in a new Syfy picture Saturday evening which got a positive review:

http://www.dreadcentral.com/reviews/ferocious-planet-syfy-2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

http://io9.com/#!5793136/farscape-creator-teams-up-with-syfy-for-huge-new-series

This hopefully will make up for my complaint earlier that there's no big genre ideas coming from the network. Now to wait and see just what it will be.

Hopefully not Alien Nation, I'm a bit burned out after the poor showing of V.

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 19, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

So did anyone catch The Almighty Thor this past weekened? How was it?

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

SyFy prepping Warehouse 13 spinoff around HG Wells in the 1800s:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/syfy-prepping-warehouse-13-spinoff-188019

It sounds similar to the Houdini show they had in the pipeline. Wonder if this means both might go to series or if it'll come down to which has the best pilot.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/02/syfy-developing-series-about-harry-houdini-and-arthur-conan-doyle-solving-mysteries/

I think the Houdini show sounds better in theory, at least being able to possibly explore the occult and magic.

Teek fucked around with this message at 00:15 on May 13, 2011

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Syfy has picked up the first two seasons of Lost Girl, a Canadian show about a succubus. Has anyone seen it before? Any good?

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/05/18/syfy-lost-girl/

It sounds like the type of show which would work better on Cinemax...

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Here's a positive semi-spoilery review of the new Monday night lineup:

http://io9.com/5819528/syfys-monday-night-lineup-pretty-darn-solid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Reminder that Haven season 2 starts tomorrow at 9 PM CST.