Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What should market value for a no-ad 3G Kindle 3 or Ad-supported Kindle 4 be? I have the three, my wife has the 4, and one of us is going to upgrade to replace whenever the paperwhite with side buttons comes out. That really is a must-have for us, but I have no idea what these things are worth because my local craigslist either has tons of people selling paperwhites for $10 under new, and one dude advertising a non-touch ad supported Kindle 4 for $95 firm, I have no idea why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Boy I was really worried no physical buttons on the Aura would be a niggling bother, but since I discovered the touchscreen is compatible with the same quart freezer bags I took my Sony to the beach in, I'm happy as a clam.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Twerk from Home posted:

What should market value for a no-ad 3G Kindle 3 or Ad-supported Kindle 4 be? I have the three, my wife has the 4, and one of us is going to upgrade to replace whenever the paperwhite with side buttons comes out. That really is a must-have for us, but I have no idea what these things are worth because my local craigslist either has tons of people selling paperwhites for $10 under new, and one dude advertising a non-touch ad supported Kindle 4 for $95 firm, I have no idea why.

You will be lucky to get much, maybe $50-80 tops. The non Paperwhite kindle is $80, and a lot lighter than the keyboard, so the only advantage yours aha now a days is really the 3G that works international.

Honestly, I am just keeping my keyboard as a backup, I didn't think the price I would get selling it was worth it.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waterprrof, dustproof Kobo is coming!

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Now you can get Nook software (well, not really, more just Android with some Nook widgets) on terrible hardware, say hello to the Galaxy Tab 4 Nook. No, you shouldn't buy it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Makes sense. My kindle has one button and one port... Not exactly hard to waterproof.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Lilputing is saying it's set to launch on September 1st for $179

quote:

The device is said to be IP67 certified, which means you can submerge it in up to a meter of water for up to a half hour as long as the USB port cover is closed.

Thatfs not the Kobo Aura H2Ofs only unusual feature though. It also reportedly has a 6.8 inch E Ink Carta display. Thatfs a brand new 1430 x 1080 pixel display which should have a higher screen refresh rate than other E Ink displays.

Other specs include a 1 GHz processor, 4GB of storage, a microSD card reader, 802.11b/g/n WiFi, and 2 months of battery life (if you read for about a half hour a day). The eReader also has an illuminated display.

It measures 7 x 5.1 x 0.4 and weighs 8.2 ounces.

http://liliputing.com/2014/08/kobos-aura-h2o-waterproof-ereader-launch-sept-1st-179.html

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

With specs like that, it's really tempting to forgo ecosystem integration and grab one of these.

Most of my books right now are DRM free from various Humble Bundles and Story Bundles anyways (and the rest are easily broken.) So I can't do cloud sync of pages read with my Nook Simple Touch. That's one thing a Kindle would be able to do, but Amazon better announce some new hardware quick or my buying finger may get itchy.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I really wonder why they bothered with the USB port. Wireless charging could allow it to be much more waterproof. Phones can't get away with this because they're so power hungry and critical to many of their users that the near ubiquity of micro-USB is hard to give up. More perfect waterproofing isn't worth losing the ability to charge pretty much anywhere for most people.

E-readers last forever on a charge compared to phones and are rarely of high importance to their users, so the tradeoff is a lot more appealing. I would love to not have to worry about the plastic bag I put around my Kindle leaking when I'm reading in the pool.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I dunno about where you guys live, but I went library hopping today and found out that my local one rents out entire eReaders. I own this bad boy for three weeks and that's about the sweet spot for when the next Kindle should be in my hands.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

wolrah posted:

I really wonder why they bothered with the USB port.

How would you sideload books otherwise? I mean, there's the SD card slot as well, but that's another opening.

Also, wireless charging involves a coil, so if they wanted to keep the weight down I could see them not including it.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

bull3964 posted:

How would you sideload books otherwise? I mean, there's the SD card slot as well, but that's another opening.

Also, wireless charging involves a coil, so if they wanted to keep the weight down I could see them not including it.

Wifi would work for sideloading books, right? Just present it as an SMB share.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

noirstronaut posted:

I dunno about where you guys live, but I went library hopping today and found out that my local one rents out entire eReaders. I own this bad boy for three weeks and that's about the sweet spot for when the next Kindle should be in my hands.

Was going to say that a lot of libraries in Maryland do that, but then I saw your bag says Anne Arundel, so you're obviously already in Maryland.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

noirstronaut posted:

Yup, my wife is a librarian up here in PA and they have been adding Kindles for loan and other such programs. Trying to catch up on the times.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Wifi would work for sideloading books, right? Just present it as an SMB share.

Have fun teaching grandma how to set up an SMB share. I know, grandma won't be sideloading books, but a lot of people do. And a lot more don't have a clue about SMB share types of stuff.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If it can handle downloading over http, you can probably teach them the motions to run something like http://www.hoagieshouse.com/apps/webserve.html to grab files out of their download folder or whatever.

Or just emailing it to themself how amazon lets you now.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Javid posted:

If it can handle downloading over http, you can probably teach them the motions to run something like http://www.hoagieshouse.com/apps/webserve.html to grab files out of their download folder or whatever.

Or just emailing it to themself how amazon lets you now.

Calibre can run a web server as well as I recall.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

hotsauce posted:

Have fun teaching grandma how to set up an SMB share. I know, grandma won't be sideloading books, but a lot of people do. And a lot more don't have a clue about SMB share types of stuff.

You don't really need to set up anything, just go to Windows network sharing and drag-drop files.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

You'd still be shutting out all those people who don't have a wireless home network or other Wi-Fi available, which doesn't seem that great for business. Everybody has a computer with a USB port.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zat posted:

You'd still be shutting out all those people who don't have a wireless home network or other Wi-Fi available, which doesn't seem that great for business. Everybody has a computer with a USB port.

Also, microusb is a global standard for charging mobile devices, where the various inductive chargers aren't. And inductive chargers can really increase the price of your product.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Zat posted:

An e-reader strikes me as far more of a luxury item than wireless networking. WiFi's free with most broadband connections, a lot of people have it without even knowing. Of course there are still a lot of people without broadband, but many of those are either uninterested in technology or can't afford it anyways, so not exactly the e-reader market.

I could be wrong though, I'm no market analyst.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Also, microusb is a global standard for charging mobile devices, where the various inductive chargers aren't.

There's only really Qi and Powermat, and only Qi is actually used in devices as far as I've seen. If Powermat hadn't made a deal with Starbucks no one would even be thinking about them.

That said I did acknowledge that you'd be losing widely available generic charging, but since the odds of a "must charge right now" situation are a lot lower with an e-reader versus a phone it's an easier trade to make when you take water resistance from failure prone to practically foolproof.

quote:

And inductive chargers can really increase the price of your product.

It costs under $20 to add to my phone aftermarket including the pad. I have to imagine it's a lot cheaper per unit to add as a standard feature in a mass produced device.

edit:

hotsauce posted:

Expose a SMB share, release a simple PC app that does an autodiscover (UPnP, Zeroconf, mDNS, whatever you prefer) and just does a \\device\share or smb://device/share depending on platform. Every OS Grandma uses has great SMB support so the PC app would be nothing.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Aug 23, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

It costs under $20 to add to my phone aftermarket including the pad.

That's like 1/3 the price of a new Kindle. Even if bulk ordering got the price down to a quarter it would still be a hefty additional cost.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Nintendo Kid posted:

That's like 1/3 the price of a new Kindle. Even if bulk ordering got the price down to a quarter it would still be a hefty additional cost.

We're not talking about entry-level devices here, the Kobo that started this is $180.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

wolrah posted:

We're not talking about entry-level devices here, the Kobo that started this is $180.

Why should the high end device be least convenient to use then?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why should the high end device be least convenient to use then?

Well, for better waterproofing, as well as a unique selling point.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

Well, for better waterproofing, as well as a unique selling point.

You can get perfect waterproofing down to at least 100 meters just using a proper gasketed port though (though honestly the water pressure would be likely to start breaking the rest of the device at that depth anyway). You lose none of the convenience, and most people aren't going to have all the air tanks to hang around in an ocean trench that it couldn't handle to begin with.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Yeah, I'll take the USB port that I can use any random cable to charge or load books. Wireless charging is nice, but really for things that you have to charge frequently. Drop your phone on your night stand every night kind of thing. For an ereader, it'd every 3-4 weeks you don't have to plug a cable in for a couple hours.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've got a universal qi receiver coming. I'm going to use it with my phone, but I had already planned to see if I could stick it on the back of my Aura. And have it charge through a zip lock bag. :smug:

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Guys, I'm kinda confused here when it comes to Kobos. I might be jumping ships if the Paperwhite 3 isn't balls amazing, but is the Glo just an older version of the Aura? As in, was the Glo around before the Aura and then the Aura was announced as its successor? There's only a $20 difference in the two and it seems like small specs and resolution were the only things upgraded.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

noirstronaut posted:

Guys, I'm kinda confused here when it comes to Kobos. I might be jumping ships if the Paperwhite 3 isn't balls amazing, but is the Glo just an older version of the Aura? As in, was the Glo around before the Aura and then the Aura was announced as its successor? There's only a $20 difference in the two and it seems like small specs and resolution were the only things upgraded.

Basically, yeah. The 6" (non-HD) Aura is the successor to the Glo and didn't change very much apart from the physical size of the unit, adding a capacitive touchscreen and having better E-Ink with much lest ghosting (with the Glo I always had the screen refresh between every page turn because anything else would've introduced some ghosting, while with the Aura refreshing every five pages works just as well; I also played with the "refresh between chapters" option and even that was totally decent).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Zat posted:

Basically, yeah. The 6" (non-HD) Aura is the successor to the Glo and didn't change very much apart from the physical size of the unit, adding a capacitive touchscreen and having better E-Ink with much lest ghosting (with the Glo I always had the screen refresh between every page turn because anything else would've introduced some ghosting, while with the Aura refreshing every five pages works just as well; I also played with the "refresh between chapters" option and even that was totally decent).

Ah, good to know. Thanks!

Also,I feel like I'm missing something when it comes to the Nook v Kindle debates. Every time I read or see one, the mentality is that the Kindle is the perfect eReader in every way. Yet, the Kindle Touch and Nook have been out for around the same duration of time (Nook actually came out earlier, it appears) but the Nook has small features that would make me believe it's simply better. It has :supaburn: tactile page turn buttons :supaburn: a power button that can't be accidentally tapped, the bookmarks aren't ads, but someone's artistic renditions of popular classical authors, grooves along the back to grip for one handed reading, and, basing this comparison solely off the Kindle Touch and this, a better, more fluid hardware design.

Is it something about the software? I was able to perfectly load up some DRM-free ebooks through Calibre just like I was doing on my old Kindle, but I can't imagine that's the sole reason why people are so against it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Eh, my complaints about the nook glo vs the paperwhite were basically minor.

I enjoy the ability to email books to myself for wifi delivery. I hated the fact that while the nook said YOU GET 2 GIGS OF STORAGE! you actually got like 400 megs because of how they partitioned the drive. It helped that you have sd card access, but still that's kinda a lovely thing to "discover".

Mainly though, the think I hated about the nook glo was the screen. It glowed, which was awesome, but I dropped a quarter on mine and it got a bright line on it. The screen LOOKS fine with the glow off, and that's great, but when there's minor impacts to the screen and the glo is turned on, those minor impacts turn into bright loving lines through words and pics.

Kindle just has the ease of use going for it. If they'd release a page turn button version I'd be thrilled. Being able to click a button on the website to buy a book, turn the reader on and boom the book is there, that's awesome. If I want a sample of new book, I go to the site, I click "get sample" and it sends it wirelessly to my kindle.

Nook doesn't do that, and it's a hassle to have to dig out a micro cable every time I want to see something that looks interesting.

I don't find myself hitting the power button on the kindle by accident, if ever, though. I did accidentally hit the nook one a few times while carting it around.

I love em both, but going by sheer hardware I dig the kindle more. I get pretty much the full amount of space they say I get for anything I load up, I have the ability to email books from calibre to my kindle, and I have the ability to not have to plug it in to transfer stuff if I don't want to. I don't really notice the ads on there, but if they are a huge hassle for you and you just HATE them, pay 20$ and they go away.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Kindle just has the ease of use going for it. If they'd release a page turn button version I'd be thrilled. Being able to click a button on the website to buy a book, turn the reader on and boom the book is there, that's awesome. If I want a sample of new book, I go to the site, I click "get sample" and it sends it wirelessly to my kindle.

Nook doesn't do that, and it's a hassle to have to dig out a micro cable every time I want to see something that looks interesting.
All the Nooks (hah that sounds weird plural) do this though, assuming you go through B&Ns website. You can buy a book or get a sample on your computer and it will be added to your account and downloaded on your Nook right then, assuming the wireless is turned on. Sideloading books from somewhere else is a different matter, which I'd assume would apply to the Kindle as well.

I've got the Nook Simple Touch (the non-lighted version) and I still love it. That was a sweet spot for design and functionality in an e-ink reader, it's a shame that the design focus is shifting over to tablets, and basically all the ereaders have moved away from physical turn buttons and SD card slots. If my Nook had the screen of the Kindle Paperwhite it would be a perfect e-ink reader.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

If Onyx comes out with a new Carta e-reader, that's the one I'm aiming for. Otherwise, I think the featureset of the T68 is perfect for me: it runs Android, so I can manage my series-heavy library well with arbitrary tags, it has an excellent screen, it has physical page turn buttons, and it has frontlighting.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

noirstronaut posted:

a power button that can't be accidentally tapped

The power button on the Paperwhite requires a very firm push, and is pretty small and almost flush with the device. It would be quite difficult to accidentally push the power button.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

big mean giraffe posted:

The power button on the Paperwhite requires a very firm push, and is pretty small and almost flush with the device. It would be quite difficult to accidentally push the power button.

I must be a special flower then. I'd have to use my toes to count how many times I've shut off my Paperwhite by accident.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

All the Nooks (hah that sounds weird plural) do this though, assuming you go through B&Ns website. You can buy a book or get a sample on your computer and it will be added to your account and downloaded on your Nook right then, assuming the wireless is turned on. Sideloading books from somewhere else is a different matter, which I'd assume would apply to the Kindle as well.
Amazon has a service where you can email a book to your Kindle and you can use Calibre to do that, so you can download a book onto your computer, drag it into Calibre, and send it to your Kindle. It doesn't seem like a big thing but I pretty much always do it that way rather than actually plugging the Kindle in to copy it across. Plus, Amazon keeps a copy of any book you do that with in your cloud storage, so you can delete it off your Kindle and re-download any time.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
What's everyone's favorite font for reading?

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

noirstronaut posted:

What's everyone's favorite font for reading?

I'm really partial to FontFont's serifs, especially Scala and Yoga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who Dat
Dec 13, 2007

:neckbeard: :woop: :downsbravo: :slick:
I just bought a paperwhite 3g. Is the Amazon deferred payment thing a new thing? Made the decision to get the 3G non-ad version easier to swallow when you're paying ~40 bucks a month for 5 months.

Curious, has any news on the PW3 come out? Last I heard they were just upping storage, no major changes.

Also grabbed a Fintie smartshell. The reviews were very positive, but can anyone comment on how decent they are?