Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Lawnie posted:

I've noticed on my Fire that some of the formatting in "Infinite Jest" is really weird. Italics bumping next to the next word, strange formatting, and sometimes wonky footnoting. Luckily it's all text, so I've learned to just ignore these things when they happen.

For what it's worth, my paperback copy has some wonky formatting issues as well as sections where there are errant carets between letters and stuff. I wonder if those carried over... I have the ebook version, but I haven't actually opened it yet to compare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

SB35 posted:

Should still leave a bad review so others know what to expect.

I appreciate it. It's great to be warned of a lovely conversion before plunking down the money. One thing that drives me absolutely BONKERS about Amazon is that they lump all reviews for all editions of books into one big messy pile. They really need to separate e-book reviews from print versions, and then separate print version reviews based on editions because there are often vast differences.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

BobTheCow posted:

Whoa cool, I never expected Amazon to continue supporting a now two-generation-behind product. It may just be placebo effect, but I think it looks better, too!

It definitely looks better--the fonts are just a bit crisper, and the contrast is definitely slightly stronger. I think it's due to the refresh cleaning up the page a little better overall. KF8 is probably the biggest boon to this update, though...

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

PirateDentist posted:

There's an option now under Select Reading Progress for what to show in the lower left corner. You can pick from location, time in chapter, or time left in book. Whatever you don't have selected only shows up when you have the menu open.

I just noticed landscape mode as well. I'll have to try it out for an extended read. It lets you use the lower edge for a larger size bezel to hold.

I don't have a Paperwhite, but in a CNet video, the reviewer also just touched the area of the screen that shows time left, and it switched from time to pages to percentage without going to a menu.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

ChetReckless posted:

All of these Paperwhite photos -- unevenness or otherwise -- are making me pretty jealous you guys. I'm in a perfectly happy long term relationship with my Keyboard 3G, of course, but you know...

I'm in the same boat--I made a promise to myself not to upgrade until my Kindle Keyboard dies, but of course, that's just ensuring that this fucker will now live forever.