Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
MY WIFE has been enamored with them ever since she saw the Top Gear featuring it. I'll probably wait a few years for the 2012s to come in off lease at sub-10k prices and pick up a two-year old model with around 25,000 on the clock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Jorsh posted:

If you can't drive a manual in city traffic you're a dumb baby.

But but....my cramping left foot :negative:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

What other cars are built in Mexico? Is Mexican build quality still that bad, or is this more holdover from thirty or more years ago (like with Fiat)?

I have an '02 Focus that was built at Ford's Hermosillo plant. Didn't have any problems that weren't experienced by US built models from the same generation.

I also have a 2010 Fusion built at the same plant, but I don't believe there are any US-built 2010s to compare against. Its at the dealer right now with transmission issues, but this appears to be a problem either with the transmission itself (its the new 6-speed auto that was a joint venture between Ford and GM) or Ford's shift map. Car seemed to be well put together from what I could tell v0v

Geoj fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2010

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Throatwarbler posted:

But just after the power stroke is completed and the hot exhaust gases are being expelled, another little squirt of fuel combines with the remaining oxygen and causes the gases to expand further in the exhaust manifold. This, of course, drives the turbo with yet more energy.

I wonder if this would result in a cooked turbo after a decent number of miles. It sounds very similar to traditional ALS that inject fuel directly into the exhaust before the turbo or fire the spark plug well after the piston has left TDC...which is great for keeping the turbo spooled, but no so much for longevity.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 2, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
^
I still can't believe people are paying for that scam.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

kimbo305 posted:

How do you get out of it, though?

Tell the salesman he can either sell you the car without the nitrogen charge or you're walking.

Odds are they'll take the $180 (or whatever charge) off the invoice rather than lose the sale. It can't cost them more than $20 to evacuate the tires, fill them with nitrogen and replace the filler caps with green ones.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Mar 21, 2011

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nitrox posted:

At 17 grand, I can't imagine why in a world would anyone buy one over a Fit/Fiesta/Versa, except for the "gotta have it" factor.

To be fair, its beyond me why anyone (who knows anything about cars) would buy a new econobox. Wait a few years for the first ones that go out on lease to come back and buy one for less than $10k with less than 30k on the OD.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Nitrox posted:

Buying a new car at near 0% interest is cheaper than paying high interest on a lightly used car that lost only a quarter of it's value. This is not about knowing cars, it's about managing finances.

Yeah, because everyone qualifies for a near-0% auto loan...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

travisray2004 posted:

I guarantee the Abarth won't be under $30k

Doubtful, unless they're going to build them in very small numbers. You'd have to be absolutely batshit insane to drop anywhere close to $30k on a performance-oriented FWD sub-compact...

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

travisray2004 posted:

Pretty sure JCW minis go for about that.

E: Yep, exactly 30 large for the hardtop, and 36+ for convertible/clubman

Oh, you mean an overpriced version of an already overpriced car?

More proof that people with money will buy anything :suicide:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

oRenj9 posted:

^^ $30,000 is a heck of a lot of money to average folks. Where you come from, a $30,000 car may be considered cheap, but most people in the U.S. barely take that home in a year after taxes.

This. The only people who are going to buy a turbo FWD compact that doesn't even make 200 HP and costs over $30k are either stupid or have money to burn.

travisray2004 posted:

Hardly, I'd love to have a $30,000 car, but I wouldn't consider that to be anything to write home about. That's enough to maaaaybe buy you a bottom of the mill C-class (also, something I'd love to have). All I was saying is that a $30,000 vehicle probably doesn't mean poo poo to true "people with money"

I didn't say they're buying it to show off their status. They're buying it so their wife has a "cute" car to drive to the salon/spa/grocery store or for their undeserving spoiled teenage children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

toaster_pastry posted:

I know they started putting a muffler in them mid-2012 though.

Wait - is this an additional muffler or were they being sold with a straight pipe before?

• Locked thread