Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

How the gently caress do the first 2 cards even breathe??

Through the intake at the end of each of the cards? Blower style coolers work fine in configurations like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't the ASUS exclusivity thing an unsubstantiated rumour?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Factory Factory posted:

If it is, it's one that was published as truth on AnandTech. We are assuming that Asus paid for the privilege, though, since the alternative is that Nvidia created gold and gave it to Ron Paul to hoard.

Do you have a link on that? I can't really find anything solid on it. If so, that is a drat shame. I have been looking at high refresh rate monitors lately, and the BenQ XL2420TE seems an all round more attractive option than the Asus alternative, so it is a shame Asus will be the only option without waiting a long time.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zorilla posted:

I decided I've had it with Dell and "downgraded" to a tempered glass X-Star DP2710 I bought used on eBay for $275. This is my second attempt at getting this model, and things are much better this time around.

It arrived, and today, I learned that tempered glass is not the same as glossy. I figured maybe "tempered glass" was Korean-speak for "glossy finish", but it turns out my initial assumption was correct: they take the same matte panel and stick a slab of glass to the front with high-strength adhesive. The result is you get the worst of both worlds: solid colors still have that "crystallized" appearance caused by the AG filter (really subtle and nothing like late model Dells), but at the same time, there is also a shitton of glare in most conditions. My other Korean monitor has a true glossy panel and it has much darker reflections that are still well-defined. This means I can use it in just about any lighting conditions without it being fatiguing, and games look great on it. I was hoping to get the same experience on my new monitor, but oh well.

Naturally, it arrived with dust trapped behind the LCD matrix and debris stuck behind the tempered glass sheet, so I had the monitor in pieces all over my dinner table this evening to take care of that. Keeping the glass free of dust without a clean room is a losing battle, so I just took it off with a heat gun. There was no way I was using it with all the glare it produced anyway.

But here's what I really wanted to show. After hours of messing with the positioning of the foam spacers inside the housing to influence the panel's shape, it's amazing how simple the solution can be when eliminating even large amounts of backlight bleed. Here is what I started with:

I discovered the inner steel bezel had a convex bow to it, so I straightened it out by hand, checking it with a straightedge, and ended up with probably the closest I've seen an IPS/PLS panel come to perfection:

I have to go back in and clear out some new dust that sneaked its way in while I had the bezel off, but I think this one's a keeper.

This is from a few pages back, but I could use your expertise. A friend of mine accidentally ordered a tempered glass QNIX and is offering to sell me the new in unopened box monitor for 259AUD instead of going to the trouble of shipping it back to Korea. At that price it is hard to say no, but I am not too excited about the prospect of the glass. Could you go into more detail into how you removed the glass? I have never opened up a monitor before :(

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Zorilla posted:

The upside to these having such minimalist construction is that they're a little easier to work on than most monitors. Most disassembly guides on the internet for these monitors will tell you to jam a flat blade screwdriver into key areas to release the clips on the front bezel, but this will mar the plastic.

The right way to take off the front plastic bezel (after removing the four bottom screws, of course) is to either pull it from the inside edge to twist the clips inward so they hopefully gain enough clearance to pop off (like most laptops), or you can run a nylon automotive interior panel removal tool across the gap to pop off the clips that way. Start from the bottom since that side is thickest and you can get more leverage. Don't freak out if you break a clip- it won't make the fit any looser when you go to reassemble. I always seem to bust the one closest to the top right corner and haven't figured out how to avoid this.

After that, the glass is just stuck to the inner steel bezel with adhesive strips. I used a heat gun on low (don't want to overheat the LCD panel) to apply heat evenly to the glue. Then, I used a heavy duty suction cup to pull the glass back gently while chipping away at the glue with a fake junk mail credit card. This stuff was so strong that it was still a slow, messy process despite having tools that would make quick work of a MacBook Pro screen. Make sure to reapply heat when needed and to reposition the suction cup over your work so you're not bending the glass too much.

Once you've gotten this far, if you have any backlight leakage, you may wish to take the panel out, pop the steel bezel off, and check to see if it's bent in any way. You can use one of the side mounting rails as a straightedge to check it. If it doesn't sit flat against it on any area, bend it back into shape by hand and recheck it. This is also a good opportunity to hook the panel back up and see how much bleed exists without the steel bezel influencing its shape.

If you reassemble the unit and still have some bleed remaining, check to see if any of the foam pads on the inner rear of the housing are applying excessive pressure to any point because this could cause the panel to distort as well. If so, try pulling them off and relocating them to where they won't push so hard against the panel.

On a related note, I just about eliminated all the backlight bleed from another one of these Samsung PLS panels using the above technique, so there appears to be something to this. Applying tape to the bezel to solve bleed is mostly bullshit and only works (barely) because the space it takes up influences the shape of the panel slightly. This is much better addressed by straightening the bezel since that's usually the fundamental cause of backlight bleed on most panels.

:ohdear:

Seems pretty scary. I am torn whether that is worth the 100 dollars saved over ordering a new one from korea (helping-my-friend factor notwithstanding).

How does the modded monitor compare to just buying a glossy/matte one outright?

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Mar 8, 2014

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

You can also ignore G-Sync, get an AMD video card and hope that FreeSync works like they claim, and then not worry about it.

Also, you're not going to find any official high-Hz, G-Sync, or other high-end gamer-oriented features on any IPS monitor out there right now. Quite frankly, no manufacturer seems to care enough to bother, so you're stuck with either a lovely color TN, hoping that your IPS can overclock to something reasonable, or left sitting in the corner glaring at the world.
You know that AMD's freesync demo only worked with laptop screens due to them already supporting variable vBlank? Any old monitor is not going to work with freesync, it still needs a hardware change. Hence why its initial announcement was a loud bang of GSYNC IS DEAD follow by people realising that freesync isn't really anything and it disappearing.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Shame the LG monitor is ridiculously expensive. I had around 800-100 bucks lined up for when they came out, and when the price was announced on the LG ($1500USD, $shitloadsAUD) I just went and bought a QNIX for 250AUD and forgot about 21:9.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Guni posted:

I know ASUS has a TN (ugh) 4k monitor that does 60hz over DP for about $800AUD, which you can get over at PC case gear if you ~must~ have a 4k monitor.

If you are talking about this Samsung, the reviews for it are surprisingly pretty great. My sli 570s would lay down and cry in front of games at that resolution though, it is bad enough at 1440p :( (also no DP on Fermi cards this old)

Checking PCCG I noticed that they have a 295x2 listed now which would do ok. Only 1900AUD! :mmmhmm:

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

^^that is the 28" 4K Dell. He is talking about the 32" IPS, 60hz 4k Dell.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Crazy good deal for Aussies, U2412HM for $250. It's off eBay but straight from Dell, covered by their 3 year pixel perfect warranty.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

I'm having a weird issue with my QNIX. Since upgrading to win8.1 with a clean install, my I can't change my monitor off 59Hz in resolution settings. If I change it to 60Hz it applies, but then when I reopen the dialog it is on 59Hz again. Games and such are reporting 59Hz as well in resolution settings, and it is really getting to me. This is a contrast to my previous install where I ran my monitor at 110Hz 24/7 no problems. Anyone have any ideas?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

AMD or NVidia GPU? I know for AMD you have to install a driver patch before you can use a tool to futz with the refresh rates. Win8.1 isn't blocking anything itself, though--I've been running at 96Hz for weeks.

I know about ToastyX's patch for Nvidia cards, and I used to use it on my last install. This time is totally stock though, no screwing with refresh rates, and the stock 60Hz doesn't want to stick.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Sweet, but the fact that it's a 34UM95 but called a 34UM94 on this Massdrop site tells me this isn't the monitor I'm after, and reading the description says things like 'not released' and 'commercial version'. It's weirding me out.

It's not a special version for Massdrop, and it is the same monitor. This version is just from their pro series, which are literally physically identical but comes with triple the warranty (1 year versus 3). So it's an even better deal.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

HornyBoy123 posted:

Why the first question? I'm building a new PC though- I haven't decided on the GPU yet?

Is this worth checking out? http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-XL2411Z-24-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B00ITORITU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408709631&sr=8-1&keywords=xl2411z

1gnoirents asked the first question as Nvidia cards support something called Lightboost which is a display-hack thing that makes motion substantially smoother, it is badass but finicky to get going. Most monitors (like that ASUS from earlier) need stuffing around to get it working, the BenQ Z series stuff (like the one that you linked) and the ASUS RoG Swift have it built in.

If you want to get a 144hz 1080p monitor, the general consensus is that the BenQ's are straight up better, with the only reason to get the Asus being price or ability to mod in a G-Sync kit. The last point will become mute once BenQ's G-Sync monitors finally hit (the XL2420G and XL2720G).

For Counter-Strike, being a game that you'll be able to run at a rock solid 120FPS all the time, a Lightboost monitor is your best bet for fluidity and speed over G-Sync.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone know a good place as an Australian to get a monitor stand for a Qnix? I plan on debezelling, and would like to be able to run portrait as well. I really wanted one of those HP Extended stands, but the only place I can find them from would set be back about 90 dollars shipping for a 15 dollar stand. I can't really think of any monoprice equivalent in Aus that just has basic monitor stands.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Guni posted:

Hey goons,

I accidentally bought a multi input QNIX, I'm not a ~serious~ gamer, but do enjoy a few FPS pretty often. How hard is it going to suck?

You lose overclocking, which is a huge downside. Also IIRC the multi input models are lovely MVA panels that reviewed terribly on Anandtech. It's probably going to be moderate levels of suck, no way of swapping the order?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Guni posted:

Got it cancelled. Thank gently caress. Time to order the correct one!

E: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-QNIX...=item1c33269be6

This one?

Yep that is the single input PLS one. It's awesome.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Where is the best place to buy one of the $20 HP stands (the 22" inch extended ones)? I can't really find them anywhere

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

suddenlyissoon posted:

I'm in the market for a 27 inch 2560x1440 in order to replace my old 20 inch 1080p monitor. I tried looking up the Catleap Q270 but in order to get a pixel perfect model it's a couple grand on ebay. I'm looking at the ASUS PB278Q instead. Is it decent? Anything else that price or lower that is recommended?

The catleap model is OLD, and hence price gouged to hell. You want to be looking at a QNIX QX2710 as the current Korean monitor of choice. Can be had for around $300. Don't bother with pixel perfect, it's a scam. It is actually quite likely these days that you will get a perfect panel anyway, and even if you get a slightly miscoloured pixel it doesn't impact the experience due to the massive pixel density. It is a fantastic monitor in my opinion, considering that basically every one can run at 100hz easily. If you can't handle the cheap stand or potential problems with the panel/cheapness of the monitor, the PB278Q uses the same panel for a couple hundred more, which gets you a good stand and a warranty actually worth a drat, but you lose the substantial overclocking potential.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Guni posted:

How do you overclock them?

Also, the stand is REALLY poo poo. Normally goons are spergy as gently caress about anything that's not 100% ideal, but this is one time where it's genuinely terrible and lives up to its craptacular reputation.

If you own a Nvidia card that is lesser than a 780ti (so everything but 780ti, 970, 980) you need to patch your drivers with ToastyX's Nvidia for pixel clock (Nvidia cards support display overclocking standard, but over clocking 1440p screens needs a higher than normal pixel clock which the 780ti supports natively and other cards need patched in). After that's done, you simply go into the Nvidia control panel and set a custom resolution with a higher refresh.

With AMD cards it is a bit harder. Patch with ToastyX, and then you need to use a utility called Custom Resolution Utility (CRU). I don't know specifics because I own a Nvidia card, but it seems fairly self explanatory from there.

And yes the stand is an irredeemable piece of poo poo.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Guni posted:

Awesome! My 970 should arrive tomorrow - will look into it then! Cheers

Overclocking monitors with 780ti+ is such a set and forget walk in the park, it was probably the best thing about my 780ti (now on its way back to Amazon). With my SLI Fermi cards it was a goddamn nightmare of boot issues and drivers this drivers that.

Your mind will be absolutely blown as soon as you set to 100hz and move a window around. Enjoy!

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

explosivo posted:

My old standby 7-ish year old Westinghouse monitor is finally dying, the backlight seems to be going out or something. I need a replacement soon, I was thinking of going 1440p to go with my new GTX970 but from what I'm reading I'd need two cards to use it effectively. Is there a current recommendation for an HD monitor in the $3-$400 range? The higher the refresh rate the better, and I'm not really looking to go any larger than a 24 inch display.

A 970 will absolutely smash 1440p in basically all situations, don't worry. It is almost overkill for 1080p and is the de facto 1440p recommendation.

As an aside, does anyone have a link to a seller on eBay that is selling QNIX QX2710 single input versions for non-inflated prices? I got line for 300 flat and now sellers are more in the 360-400 range.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

NEC recently announced a 4K 10 bit IPS monitor that can also do 120Hz, making it the first IPS monitor that can do >60Hz commercially available. Unfortunately it can only do 120Hz at 1080p due to bandwidth limitations, but what a crazy screen. 4k, IPS, and 1080p120Hz in one.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Welp, my 30" Apple Cinema Display is toast. Are there any 4k ~30" non-TN panels yet?

There are a bunch right now if you have the money. Dell, Asus and NEC all have 32" 4K IPS screens of the top of my head. The NEC would be my choice as it does 1080p120. They are all $2k+.

Dell does have an upcoming 27" 4K IPS screen which will retail for $699 next month, with coupons bringing it under $600. Which makes 4K TN screens outdated and pointless I guess.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

SST is if it treats the monitor as two display instead of one right? I had to look that up. Isn't that a function of Display Port 1.2?

MST is where it is treated as two screens, this was used in early 4K screens as there were no display controllers capable of 4k60 at the time so they used two at half 4k60 on each side of the screen. MST is fine when it works but it can be quite shoddy and is known for causing issues with display sleep/detection etc. SST is just a standard single tile display.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

I bought one of these and it's been great. Make sure your GPU has dual link DVI though.

Have you tried overclocking it? Because the common knowledge is that the multi-input Qnix's can't overclock, but the EBay pages for these new ones claims they can.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Saint Fu posted:

I was able to get up to 78 Hz before I started seeing skipped frames using testufo in chrome. This is with a dual-link DVI (obviously since it's the only input to the monitor) connected directly to a GTX 970. I also have an old Dell 1703FP hooked up to the gpu with a DVI-VGA adapter but I'm assuming this won't affect the monitor's OC, will it?

That's a bit of a disappointment. My old OG Qnix does 120hz with minor artifacting, or 110hz flawlessly. I run it at 100hz though because above that the brightness starts to go whack. The originally QNIX's are up over four hundred dollars now which is a huge shame (got mine for $250).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

I'm thinking of picking up an Asus PB287Q 4K monitor, everyone has something good to say about it, but I wanna hear some smack talk about it.

What issues and stuff does it have?

There is no reason to buy a 4K TN with the new cheap 4K IPS screens. You can get a Dell P2715Q for roughly the same money and it will be SO MUCH better.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Don Lapre posted:

Are there any 100hz+ monitors out that are IPS and not having to be overclocked.

There is one, but it also 4K and like three grand. Eizo makes it. I posted earlier in this thread about it if you want to go back and look.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Holy loving poo poo. That is an instant buy for me.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

repiv posted:

At least two manufacturers have this panel (Acer and Asus), so unlike the ROG Swift there should at least be some competition to keep the prices sane. Still won't be cheap though.

The Asus is only 120hz and doesn't support G-Sync. Price is reported to be $599 which isn't that bad (I'd pay more for the G-Sync Acer however).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

OK, thanks. I'd been looking at the ROG 1440p 144Hz thing lately with a covetous eye. Any caveats I should be aware of?

I wouldn't bother getting the Swift when there is an IPS equivalent coming from Acer soon (1440p, 144hz, G-Sync, IPS).

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus imagine curved 34" IPS 1440p 21:9 144hz G-Sync. That's pretty much every buzzword spec of the past couple years in one. Acer is on fire right now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

japtor posted:

The one from a page or two ago? IPS isn't confirmed yet I think.

Given the technology for 144hz IPS nowadays, and how rare large TN panels are (for the longest time they were never over 24" due to the inherent issues), I doubt it isn't IPS.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

OK, thanks. I'd been looking at the ROG 1440p 144Hz thing lately with a covetous eye. Any caveats I should be aware of?

Two things. Firstly there are 1440p 144hz IPS panels coming out very soon, which fix the major shortcoming of the Swift (TN). Secondly ASUS' exclusivity on the TN 1440p 144hz ended with 2014, so there are equivalent models coming out from companies like AOC and Acer that won't carry the ASUS Tax and Exclusivity Tax, pushing down the prices.

Really I think its a bad time to buy a Swift right now.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

So I'm having some buyer's remorse about the Swift, I think mostly because it's a TN panel and with a panel that size it's hard to avoid having a bad angle on part of the screen.

I'm thinking about switching to a 4K IPS panel, which I've wanted for programming and such for some time, and then waiting for Acer to get my G-sync fix. What are the crowd-favorite 4K displays? I might be able to get a deal on a friend's ASUS PQ321Q, which looks good, but I'm not sure what other good options are.

The BenQ BL3210PH is a high quality 32" 4K IPS, that comes with a really high quality stand and a SST design (a HUGE benefit over the original MST 4K screens like the Asus that I think puts them out of contention) for only $1000 flat.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Betty posted:

When are adaptive sync and free sync supposed to become widely available? Is it really worth it compared to the standard 60hz IPS models? I guess I'm debating how much I want to spend now vs. later on a monitor. I could just go big now for the Dell U3415W or wait for a similar sized free sync capable monitor if they come out soon enough. Are they even supposed to be similar sized? Also I'm pushing for free sync/adaptive sync because I'm actively trying to burn my apartment down with CrossfireX AMD R9 290's

There is an IPS 34" with adaptive sync monitor coming from LG, but despite earlier rumours stating it would be 1440p, it has since been confirmed to be 2560x1080, which honestly is a pretty grossly low resolution for a 34" screen. No 1440p model is said to be in the works, but I imagine there will be one eventually.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The extra buttons on the bottom of the QNIX definitely do function, but I did initial think they didn't too. The vol+- buttons are only for if you use the inbuilt 3W speakers with the aux input. They're poo poo so who cares. The brightness+- key DO work, but the increments are INCREDIBLY small. If you hold down a button to get to either extreme its noticeable. I run mine on max brightness because of the brightness loss from overclocking.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Avian Pneumonia posted:

Any recommendations for a 30-ish inch monitor for under $1700?
General use/movies/casual gaming.

I prefer small bezels and don't really need any extras or options on it.
I'm looking at the dell U3014.

I see literally no reason to buy the U3014 now that you can get 34" ultrawides or 32" 4K IPS screens for less money these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

LoseHound posted:

I was suggested an IPS once before, is the difference for gaming really that noticeable? Or is it something you'd only notice if you're a hardcore nerd?

Always get an IPS unless you absolutely have to have a cheap 144hz screen. 60Hz TNs are beyond pointless when you can usually get an IPS for similar money or slightly more that looks massively better. Seriously the different is quite noticeable.