Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Anyone have experience with the X-STAR DP2710? (27", 2560x1440)

http://www.ipsledmonitors.com/X-Star-DP2710-Monitor-p/xst1.htm

It's $329 at the link above.

Says it's a Samsung PLS panel.

edit: here's a review https://teksyndicate.com/videos/x-star-dp2710-27-2560x1440-samsung-psl-panel-led-matte-screen-monitor-overview

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Looks like Overclock.net recommend the QNIX and X-Star 27" PLS monitors. They seem to suggest they're better than IPS.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1384767/official-the-korean-pls-monitor-club-qnix-x-star

quote:

Q: Differences between IPS and PLS? (why is one better than the other, if that?)
A: IPS is made by LG and PLS is made by Samsung. They are both pretty much the same thing, but technically PLS is better.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

For those with the XB270HU, what are you using as your settings?

I tried the one from TFT Central, but that made the screen too dark for me. (24 brightness, 50 contrast, 2.2 gamma, with 50, 45, 46 RGB)

I'm currently running it at 50 brightness, 53 contrast, and 2.5 gamma, with 50, 45, 49, RGB settings. But I think with some games that's too dark, or I have to turn up the gamma way higher than I think is normal

Right now I'm trying to get pictures and videos to look as good as my iphone 6, but so far it's not cutting it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

On the Acer XB270HU, the brightness really just controls the backlight correct? Is there a way to change the actual brightness of the monitor?

Running through Microsoft's calibration test, it seems my monitor is too bright. But the only way to really change it is by using the control panel for my video card. Changing the brightness on the monitor just controls the backlight.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 20, 2015

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So what's the better 27" IPS 144Hz screen? Acer or ASUS?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So I'm torn between the Asus ROG Strix XG35VQ, which is a VA panel, and the Dell AW3418DW, which is an IPS. The Dell is slightly more expensive at Amazon ($728 vs $799) , but I also understand a VA panel has a better screen and colors than an IPS, so leaning towards the ASUS.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Rexxed posted:

IPS is going to be better looking than VA despite what the common knowledge of display types say about colors or whatever.

So even though the contrast ratio on the VA is better (1:2500 vs 1:1000) the IPS still looks better?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Dell Ultrawide U3415W is going for $578

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSh...trawide+monitor

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

Been reading that because of Samsung’s Quantum Dot technology the CF 791 is the best ultra wide when it comes to contrast and deep blacks. Would people agree, or does anyone know of other ultra wides that have comparable deep blacks and high contrast?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

So I'm having this experience with my monitor that I find baffling, and wondering if anyone has any ideas.

I got a Samsung Ultrawide last year, and while I thought the picture quality was good I wasn't really blown away by it. Specifically I didn't really find the colors and contrast as vibrant as I would want.

However last week I connected my PS4 to the monitor to play some games, and I found that quality to be a quite a bit higher. The colors were brighter and more vibrant, blacks were richer, contrast was better.

So I'm confused why I would be getting better picture quality connecting it to my console as opposed to my PC. I'm thinking maybe it has to do with my PC graphics settings but I'm not sure what it would be.

I'm interested to connect another PC and see if the quality looks better.

Does anyone have an idea why there would be a notable difference in quality?

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

K8.0 posted:

IPS has significantly better blacks than TN, and more importantly newer/higher quality monitors have HUGELY improved blacks vs 10 year old monitors. You will probably be happy with a modern IPS, but it's not a guarantee.

Assuming gaming is a major concern, the most commonly recommended budget 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor is the Nixeus EDG27. It has a crappy OSD, and the S version has a very crappy stand, but the actual performance is quite good. It's normally $300-330 on Amazon, but as the WFH craze has proceeded, increasingly more expensive monitors are selling out, so now the best you can do is $339 on Newegg (which doesn't have Amazon's return policies). Alternatively, you can try to snipe an LG 27GL83A if they become available on Amazon around $370. It's a bit higher end monitor for the most part.

This should not be the case. It could be because of having HDR enabled in windows, or perhaps because the color mode is set to something other than RGB, or maybe something I'm not thinking of. What specifically is the monitor and how are you hooking it up to your PC?

Samsung CF79, hooked up through a displayport

I also tried hooking it up using the same HDMi cable as I am the PS4 and it didn't make any noticeable difference.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

K8.0 posted:

Looking that monitor up, it says claims to support a very wide color space, I'm guessing it has something to do with that. I can't tell you for sure if it's a windows setting or a monitor setting, but I can almost guarantee you you are looking at some kind of color space and/or HDR issue.

How do I change those settings? I’m using Nvidia drivers

Also can you explain more why wide color space would affect that?

edit: don't think it's HDR as this monitor is not set up for HDR. Also found HDR settings on my windows and it says monitor isn't available for HDR.

Changed my desktop color settings in Nvidia control panel from default to use Nvidia settings. Seeing if that makes a difference.

Desktop color 32 bit
Output color depth 8 bpc
Output color format: RBG
Output dynamic range: Full

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2020

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

I want to get an Ultrawide monitor that supports HDR, but it looks like there's few options available. The ones I'm look at are the LG 34GN850

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086XLLG28?tag=rtings-mn-r-20&ie=UTF8

and the BENQ EX3501R

https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-EX3501R-Multi-Tasking-Brightness-Technology/dp/B077P62F8X

The LG got a better review on RTINGS and was labeled best ultrawide gaming monitor, yet they also say it has a lower contrast ratio, and good contrast is pretty important to me.

The BENQ supposedly has a better contrast ratio. Plus the BENQ is cheaper. However I'm also hearing that the HDR isn't that great. Not sure of the quality of HDR for the LG.

Anyone have experience with either monitor or has an idea which one would be better? Or if there's another ultrawide monitor with HDR that's superior?

The other alternative I was thinking is getting a large 4K OLED TV with HDR and playing games in 21:9 resolution. Would that be a viable alternative?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

K8.0 posted:

HDR isn't really real unless you get an OLED, and all ultrawides have poor contrast/uniformity because of the way backlighting works on LCDs. Even VA ultrawides don't have really good, consistent black levels. Are you SURE you want an ultrawide? There are some games where it's great for immersion, but I would say that's about 1/3, with another 1/3 having issues and 1/3 not being worth even trying to play in ultrawide.

I actually have an Ultrawide and I can't imagine going back to a regular wide monitor. But I'm not as satisfied with the color richness and contrast so was looking for something better.