Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have an Acer XZ350CU that's running from my GTX 970 at 144hz. I also have an older ASUS monitor. I bought a display port -> HDMI cable in the hopes of daisy chaining the monitors, but I don't get any signal on the ASUS. Should I be able to daisy chain like that or is it not possible? If it is possible is there something I need to do in Windows to get it to work? I flipped through my monitor settings but didn't really see anything that seemed relevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So even the last monitor in the chain needs displayport in (i.e. the DP -> HDMI cable can't just convert the signal?) My Acer monitor has displayport out so I just assumed that meant I could daisy chain out, but I also don't see anything about MST anywhere. What else would the DP out be for?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Ah, dang. I flip back and forth between my PC and my macbook so I was hoping for a solution where I didn't have to change the input on both monitors all the time. Looks like I can get a multi-monitor KVM switch with displayport for the low price of $450!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yes but that money is earmarked for Apple products. Anyway I tried out the dualies with two cables tonight and with my 34" ultra wide it's too much head cranking so it's a moot point. Appreciate the help though!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Lackmaster posted:

So 27 inch isn’t too big for 1080p? That was the only reason I was looking at 24 inch. That and I’m so close to the monitor either way.

I used a 27" 1080p monitor for ages, it's fine.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have what may be a dumb question: I've got a 35" 2560x1080 monitor. I work from home and I've noticed that a lot of my days end with me having really tired eyes and frequent headaches. I'm wondering if some combination of the huge monitor and and not great pixel density might be a factor. I'm thinking about downgrading to a 24" 1080p monitor so that I can have less neck and eye movement and higher pixel density. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Brightness was at 26, I've turned it down to 15 now. My lighting isn't too bad, I have some IKEA dioder's taped to the back for bias lighting and I also have a 3-spot main light with one of the lights pointing at my work area. I tend to stare out the window a lot but I'll try to take more deliberate computer breaks. Should I adjust contrast settings as well? I have it on 50 right now.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Constellation I posted:

This is a long shot since I don't know your monitor model info, but could it be because it's using PWM backlighting and you're sensitive to it?

Never heard of that but I looked it up and no, it doesn't. It's an Acer XZ350CU.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Hey just wanted to say thanks to the thread for suggesting the lowered brightness and cutting some of the blue light even during daytime settings. Eyestrain hasn't been as bad lately. I'm also making more of an effort to get up off the computer during my pomodoro breaks.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Thinking about selling my single 35" 2560x1080 monitor and getting 2x24" 1080p monitors. I use my computers for coding, music production, gaming, plus the usual web poo poo. I mainly would like to be able to have code on one screen, browser on the other, or game on one screen and discord/YouTube/whatever on the other. Couple questions:

Is 1440p that good? Should I be looking at 27" 1440p monitors instead? I mostly play online games but I do play the occasional fancy graphic single player game, and of course extra . I'm leaning towards sticking with 1080p because it's cheaper, easier to hit 144fps, and will take up less desk space but I dunno. I also mostly tend to just use apps in full screen which is part of the reason I want to get rid of the ultra wide, so I don't know if 1440p would just be overkill.

I've never ran dual monitors before, is it better if they're the same monitor? How annoying is it if the colours don't match? Feels like paying for 144hz and gsync and all that on the second monitor might be a waste.

What's the best way to swap a two monitor setup from two different computers? I was looking at daisy chaining but it looks like there are bandwidth limitations for that. I briefly looked at KVM switches and of course they're as shockingly expensive as ever.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

DrDork posted:

If you can fit them, yes, 2x 27 1440p's is a lot nicer than 2x 24" 1080p's, both for coding and general dicking around. Gaming does take about a 40% hit, but you can always run it at 1080p upsampled if you really need to. Or maybe it's time to upgrade your GPU, too...

Unless you are seriously price-constrained, you should be able to pick up two good monitors for not-insane prices. The Dell S2719DGF or LG 27GL83A-B can both be had regularly for under $400, and under $300 if you're willing to take a risk on a used one (if it's from Amazon Warehouse, very much do this, because if it's not how you like it you can always just return it).

For swapping multiple monitors, your options are basically two cheap KVMs or one very expensive KVM. Or actually using the input buttons on the monitors. And that's about it. It sucks. Apparently a program called ClickMonitorDDC works with some setups for doing keyboard hot-key input switching, YMMV.

Thanks! I am planning on doing a computer upgrade when (if) the GPU market ever settles down but I'm in Canada so everything is more expensive here. I'm not super price constrained necessarily but that monitor is $500+tax here and a 3080 is ~$1100. I guess I could always add the second monitor later though. Do these freesync monitors support nvidia cards now? I thought I remembered reading something about how they kinda do, in some circumstances

Hadn't thought about just running two cheap KVMs, that's a good idea.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

BurritoJustice posted:

For coding, 1440p makes a big difference. It's very nice to be able to increase density and have smoother multi-window tasking. I'd recommend looking at running a portrait monitor in addition to a landscape one, it's crazy useful for code/browsing/stack overflow and modern media that is meant for vertical phone consumption.

I used to run a portrait 27" 1440p 60hz and a vertical 27" 1440p 165Hz and it was a huge boost in productivity over my old single monitor setup. With the price coming down on ultrawides it's also worth considering an Ultrawide main as you can split it in two when needed (the width can get a bit janky with wasted space on code). Then you could treat it as two tall landscape monitors, and maybe use a portrait monitor on the side.

There are also a number of 34" productivity focused panels with inbuilt KVMs

Tdlr I recommend 2x27 or 34+27, 1440p+

I love the look of the second monitor in portrait but one of the things I want to use a second monitor for is watching youtube/sports while I'm dicking around or playing Rocket League on the main screen. Feels like it'd be kind of a waste to do that on a portrait screen. It would definitely be nice for productivity though.

I have a curved 35" ultrawide right now and I'm pretty sure it's the reason I get headaches all the time, although it's 2560x1080 so the pixel density is pretty bad. I can work on laptop all day with no problems but if I stare at my ultrawide for too long I get a brutal headache, and it's gotten worse since I've been full time remote. I have heard curved monitors can be bad for people with astigmatism but I think it may also just be too big. And I have the brightness at 6/100 so I don't think it's that.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
What's the difference between the 27GL83A-B and the 27GL850-B? The only difference I can see on that Amazon page is the word "Nano"

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I also received my 27GL83A today, it seems good! Very weird to step down to a 27" monitor from a 34" one. I know I actually have a lot more pixels here but it doesn't feel like it given that I don't have a gargantuan curved monitor on my desk (pro: I don't have a gargantuan curved monitor on my desk.) The smaller text is going to take some getting used to. Also it turns out that "G-sync compatible" is actually not compatible with my 970, so now I get to dedicate my life to finding a 3080.

My plan now is to buy a second one and some monitor arms. Does anyone have any experience with this monitor arm? Or a recommendation for a dual monitor arm? https://www.amazon.ca/VIVO-Monitor-Pneumatic-Sit-Stand-STAND-V002K/dp/B07DFT56Z7/?th=1

edit: I don't know if I have a short torso or terrible posture or both but I wish this stand would lower a lot further than it does.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Nov 1, 2020

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

TheDK posted:

You need a 10xx or newer Nvidia card to use freesync

I was planning on an upgrade anyway, it just kinda sucks that I can't actually get the card. But that's a gripe for another thread!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Wow yeah, $80 vs $280. That makes me think $80 might be suspiciously cheap.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Verviticus posted:

holy poo poo amazon.ca has a lot of used 83a-bs

mine's gonna be one, i went back to the 1080p ultrawide tank. turns out my eyes are too lovely for 1440p @ 27" and scaling felt like it just left me with less real estate than what i have on this guy. ultimately it didn't really feel like a straight upgrade over what i have so it's going back.

does anyone know of a good monitor arm for huge monitors? i've had two (the ergotech and one other one whose name i can't remember) and both failed to support my monitor. it's 35" and close to 30lbs. the amazon basics one says it only supports up to 32" and 25lbs.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Is there a go-to 30-32" 1440p 144hz monitor that people like? It seems like there's not many options at that size, but I find it way too hard to read on a 27" 1440p. Ideally not curved because I'm looking at buying a pair and I sit pretty far away from my screen.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 25, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm on an ultrawide right now and considering going back to 16:9. It's nice in the games that support it but a lot of the games I play don't, and I don't think you're going to get a more immersive experience switching to a monitor that's roughly the same size as the one you've already got. You also end up with letterboxing for most fullscreen videos. They're kind of dumb to be honest. If you want to buy a new monitor I'd probably get another 32" 1440p @ 144hz/sync instead.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Stroop There It Is posted:

Got any recommendations? :v: 'Cause that's exactly what I want.

No, I posted on the last page looking for some!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
There are certain games that are great in ultrawide but I can't really say if they wouldn't be just as great with a similarly sized 16:9 monitor. I went from a 27" 1080p to a 34" 2560x1080. Personally I don't see the point of a 32" 4k unless you just love spending money or have fantastic eyesight. I'm not crazy about running scaled resolutions because it means you're not really getting the extra real estate you paid for, and having to push those extra pixels in games is really expensive. A 32" 1440p monitor has the same pixel density as a 24" 1080p screen.

Most games support 21:9 these days but a few that I've played lately that didn't: Dark Souls 3, Hades, Overwatch, Valorant off the top of my head. I honestly don't notice the pillarboxing at all after I'm in the game but it still seems silly to have this monitor and then play games that don't take advantage of it. I remember when I first got it Overwatch was just coming out so I spent like the first couple months with my fancy new curved ultrawide playing a game that didn't even support it.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Apr 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
48" just sounds loving huge, is it really ergonomically sound to use something that big as a computer monitor? I watched one reviewer and he said he played a bunch of games in windowed mode because it was too straining to look at the whole screen unless it was a controller game he could sit back for. Seems crazy to pay for all that screen only to not use it.