Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Northrop SM-62 Snark, intercontinental cruise missile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Maybe not the Israelis directly, but it's not like parts for an AIM-9 show up in Shenzen gray-market junk stores or anything.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Especially the B2. That's arguably worth driving a couple hours to see if you're a big enough plane nerd.

Forget the B2, #29 looks like its supposed to be a Shuttle. Just where do they think they're going to source one of those from to be a gate guardian?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Awesome, my idle curiosity thanks you.

The National Nuclear Security Administration has a decent website about ongoing weapon life extension programs. http://nnsa.energy.gov/ourmission/managingthestockpile/lifeextensionprograms

Life Extension Program, of course, being a Dr Strangelove-level operation name for refurbishing weapons whose targets are measured in megadeaths.

Anyway, I'm sure this has probably been posted in here before, but this is my favorite Cold War-era hardware photo:

(click for big)

Guy in a space suit being buzzed by a B-52 belching exhaust, some crazy rear end lifting body being serviced by a guy in a dress shirt and slacks. I don't think it can get any more AIRPOWER than that.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

TopherCStone posted:

This seems like it might be a good place to ask this:

Below is a screenshot from the movie Fog of War with Robert S. McNamara. Does anyone know what the source of this image is? I really like the design of it and I'd like to have to full image for my folder full of interesting historical pictures. Reverse GIS on this didn't get anything for me, probably because it's just a fragment of the picture. Also please let me know if there's a better place to post this, I just thought this was the most topical thread.

That's definitely a print magazine layout from the early 60s (or maybe late 50s). I remember National Affairs being the title of the US Politics section of (old) Newsweek. LIFE from that era is on Google Books, maybe Newsweek is too. Or perhaps there's a library near you that still has bound periodical stacks from the middle of last century and you can find it in person.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Well A-10's are going out of service soon. Seems like the perfect argument for a police handout.

Hubis posted:

Guys I think I know what to do with all those perfectly good A-10s we are just going to waste

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

An A-10 ready for some not so close air support.

Those Ft Wayne-based birds are as filthy as everybody's vehicles are in Indiana at this time of year from all the road grit and salt and poo poo.

Seriously (from the same batch of photos)

Do they need a care package of carwash coupons or something?

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Good to see forward thinking on materiel for Russia's ability to protect its citizens in Georgia or in Crimea Manhattan or Brooklyn

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Koesj posted:

Hahaha did they seriously practice on an Mi-24 or is that some kind of ghetto bodykit?

At about 2:05-2:06 they show what looks to be an RC aircraft scale model of a Hind being launched, maybe that's what the shootdown video later on under the "Helicopter" segment is from as well.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Sperglord Actual posted:

F-35 to compete against A-10 in ground support trials.

...In three years, when the software is finished.

If this thread has taught me anything, I can already see the score card now:

pre:
Category		F-35	A-10
Ordinance capacity	L	W
Loiter time		L	W
Strafing		L	W
Fifth-generationness	W	L
-----------------------------------
Overall winner		W	L		

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Doctor Grape Ape posted:

So give the rocket some more air and triangles and hope it doesn't poo poo out some apex seals.

Not that kind of rotary. The rotary engines in aircraft like the Camel didn't really have throttle control so much as a switch to turn off (some or all) of the magnetos and thus cut spark to the engine. That's why it sounds like old biplane engines are sputtering as they come into land.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Arishtat posted:

Yes they're smaller but anything more detailed than that is :opsec: and will summon the dark forces to the forum and we don't want that now do we?

You know what is a little more detailed about inertial platforms on missiles but isn't opsec?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ST-124-M3_inertial_platform

Sure it's from 50 years ago and a direct descendant of the original ballistic missile technology, but it's also about the size of a beachball for reference.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Polyakov posted:

Seizeing a few putinite oligarchs houses in London

Read that as "poutine oligarch" and now I'm just grooving on the idea of controlling the world's supply of gravy covered fries.

this is from a few pages ago, but what if I told you it could be both at the same time?

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimir_Poutine

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

TheFluff posted:

Tail hooks and drag chutes are for entitled primadonna aircraft with expectations of red carpets and infrastructure. If you ain’t got a thrust reverser you ain’t poo poo. It’s tough out there in the hood wood, man. :colbert:

More seriously though, the poster above that pointed out the reinforced landing gear is important is on the money. In the aerodynamics compendium for Viggen pilots they have these comparison graphs - from top to bottom, ordinary landing, with autothrottle (AFK, “automatisk fartkontroll”)

Automatic fart control?
:yosbutt::gas:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

You can't really see anything during a stir weld operation. Two medium sized welding bits clamp onto the welding surface and spin at moderately high speeds and significantly high pressure. They then walk across the welding surface at a moderate rate.

https://youtu.be/y7rCTdxvGlg

How do you plug the big through-hole gap at the end of the weld path? Conventional welding?