Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
That site is poo poo and has virtually no content, but your complaints are poo poo. Tail recursion does not exist in real languages and is not very useful or worth talking about. Implementing stacks and queues with arrays is somewhat reasonable for a beginning introduction. There's nothing wrong with a linked list implementation segfaulting or in this case throwing an exception if you try to go past the end of the list. If you've got a logic bug it's not like you should check for a null pointer and fail manually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Maybe you shouldn't be some crap-looking gigantic smelly pen-clicker then.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Do you understand how git works yet?

Edit:

EDP Recruiting Services Response posted:

This candidate came in looking as if he had just rolled out of bed. His hair wasn't combed, his shirt looked like he had slept in it for the last week, and he hadn't shaved. He slouched in his chair and paid little attention during the interview. He had told me that he was fired from his last position. He clicked his pen around 40 times. My job as a recruiter is to measure what my client will see and if there is a problem to correct it so that the candidate has the best chance of getting the job. I asked him to stop clicking his pen during the interview. He stopped for a couple of minutes. He started it again. I asked him if he would put the pen down. He tossed it on the table (most would have placed it on the table). I asked him if he'd like to come back another day when he was ready to interview. He said no and left. He forgot to mention that he stood me up for the first interview. He thought it was a phone interview even though I had given him directions and confirmed that it was on-site. This is an entirely different story (and much more plausible) than being kicked out for clicking a pen twice!

Even though he has sullied my reputation in public, I will keep his name confidential.

Which half is the true part?

sarehu fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 12, 2014

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Plenty of people that haven't worked on large-scale software are good at programming.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Engin3 posted:

How long should I expect to go from zero experience to hero (paid employment)?

It depends on how smart you are (and how good at self-directed learning you are).

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

kitten smoothie posted:

How is this such a bad option? Let me run through my logic on this, maybe I'm wrong.

You can look forward to the conversation at your new job interviews:

:crossarms: Okay, mister, can you explain this Gap On Your Resume? Why'd you leave Company X?

:classiclol: They missed payroll.

:monocle: Oh!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Wow, you people are assholes.

ohgodwhat posted:

So, uh, is trying to get an aspiring Python dev to write a = b * c in an interview too much to ask?

For a Python dev? Maybe. :fap:

sarehu fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Oct 3, 2014

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
You think they'd ask for a transcript? Who asks for a transcript?? 3.1 is totally kosher, go for it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Steely Glint posted:

Anyway, I've revised my resume a bunch since the last time I asked this thread for advice, so here it is again for savaging if anybody feels up to it. I'm shooting for a resume to phone screen conversion rate greater than zero this time around.

It could just be me, but I would write "<Verbed> a desktop application" in place of "A desktop application" in a few places.

Is the "Dead Person Memorial Programming Contest" really from 2007? Is it from middle school?

I don't care if you learned some irrelevant thing as a research assistant. Please tell me what you did and what you accomplished. You presumably did work of some kind, right? It's in the experience section and not the education section, after all.

I'm confused and annoyed by the projects section. The first project is lame, it's a class project, but you're applying for an internship position, so maybe that's OK. The second project makes no sense. It is not under the Big Defense Company job section?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I slacked off in Theory of Computation too. I forgot to turn in the first two homework assignments and needed to ace everything after that in order to get an A.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Um. while (s/\(\)//) { }; $_ eq "" neh?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
No, no, no, none of that is true. You don't need to know about regular languages before understanding regexes and regex performance. You don't need to know anything about CFG's, you don't even need to know what a CFG is, to write a good parser or to make a grammar.

I know this is true because I learned how regexes worked and before that wrote parsers without having heard of any of this stuff.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It sounds to me like the interview didn't go well. You were short on time because you were slow, and you couldn't calculate the big O running time.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Dynamic programming and meet-in-the-middle are straightforward optimizations to make.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

No Wave posted:

How would you do it? I'm having trouble figuring out how it would work with the concat.

Keep trying!

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Safe and Secure! posted:

Oh, this reminds me of something I've been wondering. I used to see this thrown around a lot (not so much anymore), that questions get asked to see "how you solve problems", but really, the vast majority questions you get asked are going to be of the form "recognize which algorithm(s) or algorithm design technique(s) can be used to solve this problem, then implement it in an actual programming language", aren't they?

Some people actually believe they're "seeing how you solve problems" but that's bullshit because that explanation could be used for any stupid problem you might ask. ("Seeing how you think" is the more generic version.) Really they are interested in whether you can do basic CS data structurey things.

Many companies would be better off giving an IQ test, because that correlates very well with employee performance, and because it would be a much more objective measurement of candidates than what they usually pull. But that's quasi-illegal in the USA because IQ is correlated with race. So instead they have this CS question live programming facsimile. It's not very objective. For example, many more people can answer a certain interview question when I pose it than when a coworker of mine poses it.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
The values are concatenated 3 wide at most, so you might have to meet in several middles but you're still doing O(3^(n/2)) work.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

No, for some reason I was being a pissant about the state space being (sum, current-concatenation) instead of just (sum).

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

gently caress them posted:

For god's sake don't post your public info like that here. Shrughes will put you in goons.txt. :smith:

It's goons.org now :eng101:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

gently caress them posted:

NewJob wants me to work just one week, not two.

What kind of place tells new hires it's a good idea for them to give just one week notice at their existing employer?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Literally Elvis posted:

What's the consensus on blogs? I've seen a number of job postings request a link to your blog where you presumably write about programming. I've been meaning to write down some thoughts or project walkthroughs anyway, but I'm not sure what's the best way to go about doing it. Tumblr? Hosted wordpress? Completely built from the ground up page? Does the URL have to be mega-professional, or can it be kinda goofy?

I don't think having a blog is necessary and it's fine not to have one. Actually, people that write about programming generally creep me out, especially (and you can tell) when they write for the purpose of being one of those people that write about programming. If somebody has a personal website that's, well, cool, but it's the same as having a github account that's cool or some other cool thing -- not that interesting once I'm actually talking to them, unless it really is really fuckin' interesting. Like, the way it would be if your blog had some poo poo that shows you're a bad motherfucker, not some opinion haver with a lovely walkthrough that obviously nobody cares about or some neurotic generalities about how you write code.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

w00tuberjedi posted:

Just got a job programming. No degree, no experience, current CS student. It's all about who you know unfortunately.

I know a couple of people that got a job programming straight out of high school that didn't really "know" anybody in a way that was relevant to the job. And several more that got internships the same way when in college. And some more in their first job out of college. So no, it's not about who you know.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Che Delilas posted:

"Who you know" is how you bypass a lot of tier-1 automatic screening and HR bullshit to get your name to people who actually know something. It's not all about who you know, it just helps.

Yeah, knowing people is helpful. My point is that going all "Woe is me, it's all about who you know" is just wrong and bullshit and a bad way to deflect responsibility from oneself.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Che Delilas posted:

I was agreeing with you.

I agree that you were agreeing with me and I was agreeing with you.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Steely Glint posted:

Is it rude to keep interviewing with other companies now?

It's immoral.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Um, yes there is. Just because you find it convenient to ignore that doesn't make it untrue.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Malcolm XML posted:

They are paid to do it.

Their shareholders are paying them.

I guess large groups of investors, pension holders, and the like aren't really people to you, just like the way Nazis thought about the Jews.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Steely Glint posted:

In other news, did something happen with #cobol or am I just poo poo at irc?

Maybe you need to register with NickServ (or identify, specifically)? Check the server window.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

down with slavery posted:

It's actually very adult to negotiate multiple offers at once and to be upfront and honest with your employer.

If you're still entertaining other offers instead of saying "no I accepted an offer at X" after you've accepted an offer at X, then you're not being honest. Or upfront.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

How so? Just because you have a job doesn't mean you don't want a better one.

The honest thing to do is to not accept the offer, and wait, because you're doing other interviewing and entertaining other offers.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Hughlander posted:

How many days/weeks/months after being at a company does it become honest to entertain other offers?

A day? A week? If you start working and you realize you hate the place, by all means leave now instead of making them suffer under the cost of bringing a newbie up to speed.

If you accept an offer out of job X and then a few days later out of the blue some acquaintance calls you up and is like "come work for us" at some other job, that's OK too, morally speaking. Or if you suddenly realize you don't want to work there because of <reason>. What's not OK is agreeing with somebody you will work for them for money, while planning otherwise, keeping interview processes open at other companies. That's where there's dishonesty.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Microsoft regularly cuts more expensive employees to hire cheaper ones, it's not even really up for debate.

Are we supposed to be angry about this?

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I'm not proposing having loyalty, I'm proposing not being a lying sack of poo poo.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

ullerrm posted:

Honestly, for 99% of problems in software engineering, improving runtime involves spending memory.

I don't think that's true, or at least it's not even wrong. The curve of optimal solutions will involve some sort of memory/time trade-off, by definition. But most solutions you see in software projects are suboptimal at least by a significant constant factor on both axes, and for anything non-trivial usually suboptimal in an asymptotic sense, or in some practical-asymptotic sense such as the use of a sorting algorithm that doesn't perform better under pre-sorted input.

For example, a project I worked on used red-black trees in a lot of places where it'd be better off using a hash table or array of pairs.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
Your main order of business right now is to generally get good at programming. If you're good at programming, you'll be fine. If you suck at programming, you might not be. That's pretty much how it goes.

By "generally get good" I am being kind of vague. Most of this involves making real poo poo but some of this involves learning or exposing yourself to stuff. For example I think that people that haven't implemented some elementary data structures in C/C++/Java (linked lists, hash tables, red-black trees, and such) and something on par with a simplistic chess engine have a stunted education. But so do people that haven't made a dynamic website in PHP (or something) that stores stuff in an SQL database. That's icky, it involves having to read documentation and learning how to create tables in a database, you have to learn HTML and possibly CSS, but reading docs and following them is pretty much how life works. My current "not intellectually engaging" activity is reading documentation about how object files are parsed and how x86 instructions are encoded. I'm working on a compiler, you see. That's not intellectually engaging, either. (Maybe it is, the first time.) Dicking around with programming language design is intellectually engaging. But if you want anybody to use it, 99% perspiration is still the rule; knowledge and thoroughness wins the day. (Apologies to KaeseEs and Ipsum.)

If you do data analysis, guess what: you're going to be doing the same sort of statistics over and over again. It's not like you'll be inventing new techniques left and right. And you'll have to munge HTML and CSV and do all sorts of drudgery along the way. And you might be putting stuff in a database at some point and need to make the right indexes and there's yet more ways some webdev experience will get reused. True intellectually engaging work is actually the worst. Guess what pure mathematicians do all day: they sit there, failing to make progress, 90% of the time. If they didn't have classes to teach or grant proposals to write, they'd go crazy. A webdev, on the other hand, will be adding features and making the site make more money and go home having accomplished something material.

I think you should be aware that your listing of "cryptography, data analysis or controls" has a similar sort of ring as somebody that says they want to go into game development. Only you've picked what you would think is fun instead of what they think. If you aren't actually doing cryptography or data analysis or controls (whatever that is) right now, you don't really know how much you'd like it. One thing that you should do in college is pursue these things, and other things you think you wouldn't like, as long they're working towards mandatory credits for your degree and you're not just throwing away tuition money. That way you can discover more accurately what you like doing and what you don't like doing. For example, in college, I, for no reason, ignored the CSE classes or even EE classes I could have taken, just assuming that this stuff was lame. In retrospect, I was the one that is lame. Fortunately, there's nothing stopping me from learning that stuff just because I'm not in college anymore.

Anyway, get good at programming.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Malcolm XML posted:

And getting used to code reviews is a practiced art that frankly is hard. poo poo you expect way too much out people straight from education.

Some people are innately perfectly fine receiving code reviews while others react like its some kind of personal attack -- and maybe if you wanted not to deal with the latter kind, you could filter them out in the interview process. Which would be dumb of course. Maybe I was just used to arguing on Usenet and forums but when I got my first code reviews at my first job, none of them hurt my feelings. Then another new dev also took them well (but he was a practiced rationalist and a beauty and the geek contestant), and then a dude in his forties didn't do so well. At a later job we had two newb devs that got all butthurt. Some devs just need to get slapped a couple of times a week and others need to get sent back in time to their high school days and get put in the marching band or (as my dad liked to threaten) get sent to Valley Forge Military Academy.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
It's reasonable to expect data structures and algorithms questions for any programming position. Especially for web development where you need that knowledge and ability to cluefully do stuff.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)
I had collabedit flake out on me a couple of times when trying to use it. Granted, this was after stypi flaked out on me. I think the only one that didn't flake out on me was the original Etherpad.

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

UnfurledSails posted:

I kind of traveled the world and played in international chess tournaments instead.

Put this on the resume! People are gonna wonder why the heck you don't have any internships, and they'll assume your head is totally up your rear end or something and couldn't get any, if you don't have this information.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Doghouse posted:

I'm almost done with my cs degree (masters, ba is not cs) and I got invited to join phi kappa phi, is this worth anything at all? I think I have to pay a one time fee to join.

No it's not.