Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

HondaCivet posted:

So yay I'm getting my first phone interview! How should I prepare besides reading a bit about the company?

Dress comfortably, sit at your desk (ie. Don't lay on your bed or lounge in a lay-z-boy or something; it's a state of mind thing), turn off your computer monitor and speakers, tv, radio, etc. Use a land line rather than a cell phone if that's an option for you, if it's not at least make sure your phone is charged and you have a good signal where you're sitting. Nothing says professionalism like a dropped call.

Also, it might help to outline any specific talking points you want to mention, separate from your resume. It helps organize your thoughts, it makes it seem like you aren't just reciting from your resume that they probably already have in front of them, and generally prevents brain farts. Also there's the situation that I ran into the first time I had a phone "interview." They used the word interview, implying a question/answer session or at least some kind of conversation. What I got was, "Okay, you have 10 minutes to tell us about yourself and why you think you would be good for this job. Go." I spent about 8 minutes talking into completely dead air, and the only reason I didn't make an utter fool out of myself was that I had taken the time to jot down an outline of my talking points earlier that day. You think public speaking is nerve-wracking, try doing it without being able to gauge the audience's reaction. Holy poo poo.

Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Freundlich Freund posted:

Considering my (lack of) experience does this all seem reasonable?

I tend to think of things like this in the most cynical terms, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt, but it sounds like they're trying to get you to work on a specific project for peanuts with the plan of dumping you after it's done, and are dangling the "review for permanent position in 6 months" line in front of you to get you to accept the crappy pay.

And I have to say, the trial period at minimum wage sounds like bullshit and would frankly insult me if I got that kind of offer. If I'm not performing the way an employer expects, then they should fire me, but in the meantime they hired me for a job that requires a certain degree of skill, experience, and/or education and I expect to be compensated appropriately.

I don't know anything about your area and its standard rates and practices, so my only advice would be to really research average salary rates for recent grads in your field, in that area. Talk to your school's career services (or whatever it's called), they should have good data on graduates in your major and their starting salaries. Also check on this trial period thing, see if it's common. It sounds really fishy to me.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pweller posted:

Read this today

http://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-talk/at-work/tech-careers/noncompete-agreements-carry-high-cost-for-engineers

Talks about new hires getting blindsided by non-compete agreements.

I've signed these before, since I didn't feel I really had a choice...
What are your guys' thoughts/strategies here?
IP is such a shitstorm it makes me worry about getting sued if I ever were to start my own company (without basing it on any other company's work).

That article feels sensationalist to me. They present statistics (without citations, I might add) about how many people who signed non-compete agreements changed industries, implying that the non-compete agreement was the cause of the move. There are other reasons people change industries, you know.They also talk about how certain states restrict the way non-competes can be used, but don't mention that on numerous occasions these clauses have been tested in court and the general opinion so far has been that they're often unenforceable.

Finally, the article states, "Noncompete clauses are essential to protect intellectual property," which is about as far from an empirical fact as a statement can be. Hasn't this guy heard of non-disclosure agreements or "suing someone into the dirt" as a means to protect IP? This article is painting a skewed picture, though I do agree that this is an issue to keep in mind.

I personally would try and avoid signing any noncompetes until it meant my job. I would offer to sign as many non-disclosure agreements as they wanted (and honestly, there are usually other clauses about all your work while you are working for a company belonging to that company anyway) as an alternative. But if I had no choice, I wouldn't worry too much about future prospects. A company would have to have some great big brass balls on it to try and stop people from working right now anyway. I would sure try and raise a big, public stink about it if a company tried to pull that on me.

This topic has been discussed in the past, and the rough consensus as I recall it has been to sign a non-compete if it means your job, then in the future if you quit, don't worry about it because it's a bullshit agreement. Companies are not actually allowed to own you, no matter how badly they might want to. And you are not legally able to sign away your rights, no matter how official-looking the contract.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Nov 4, 2011

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Orzo posted:

Well, maybe it's dependent on if you had a good GPA. I can't see the harm in putting down a good/decent GPA from a good school even 10 year after graduating.

The harm would be that the first impression you're making on hiring departments includes the fact that you think how well you scored in academia a decade ago has any relevance to any job you would be applying for now.

If you created some revolutionary technology as part of a school project, that's something else again. But GPA? At best they don't care, at worst they laugh at you and don't respect you and you already are at a disadvantage.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pweller posted:

Haha just had my kid wake me up and hand me the phone, impromptu telephone-to-speakerphone interview.

Don't need coffee this morning now.

Reminds me of my first phone interview this job hunt cycle. They told me ahead of time when they would be calling, but they used words like "interview," which implies conversation, question-and-answer, maybe some simple describable code/pseudocode problems to make sure you know what an if statement is. That's what I had in mind.

Day for the interview rolls around. "Hi, Che, I'm <lead programmer> and on the call with us is <head DBA>. Okay, you have 10 minutes to tell us about yourself and why you think you would be good for this position. Go."

:stare:

Cue eight minutes of me making an unrehearsed speech into absolutely. dead. silence. No feedback or questions or anything, just dead air the entire time. I was lucky in that I had written down some talking points that I wanted to make sure to touch on during the "interview," which transmogrified into a speech outline once I realized we wouldn't actually be having a conversation. They said I did well and I made it past the phone screen, but oh man did it suck being blindsided like that.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Last December, I graduated with a degree in CS. All entry level programming around me seem to want Database and SQL experience. If that's so important, then why isn't Database a required course for the CSCI curriculum? I took a Computer Security elective instead on my final semester mainly because it sounded more interesting. I regret it now.

What's the best way to get experience with Database and SQL?

Are these companies you've actually interviewed with or been able to talk with other developers at the company, or are you just going by the job posting? Because the posting can be very deceptive, especially if it was written or heavily edited by the HR department and not the developers. What is listed as "absolutely required" on the job posting could mean as little as "you may brush up against this technology at some point." What you see on the job posting is generally a wish list, not the bare minimum.

Don't let the SQL requirement scare you off from applying if you're a reasonable match for the posting otherwise. If they call you back for an interview, chances are the SQL isn't a big part of the job and/or they're willing to train you up or work around your deficiency in that area.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

shrughes posted:

None. Just throw up raw HTML, not really any CSS, put some .tar.gz files of code there. Actually just have a github or bitbucket profile and some links to that.

Github or Bitbucket are really the way to go. If interviewers ask you for code samples (or really, if you're proud of your code, find a way to bring up the fact that you have samples), just point them to your online repository. These sites are simple, clean, and display code just beautifully. Don't waste a minute of your time designing a website when these sites do exactly what you want so very, very well.

I'm convinced having my code on GitHub and showing it to my interviewer, as low-quality as the code was, contributed to me landing my current job. There's no reason not to do it unless your code is just a terrible mess of spaghetti and no comments or indentation. And if it is, shame on you.

BitBucket lets you host private code for free, GitHub is only free for open source, so keep that in mind.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

Well, I was talking about interviews specifically. I worked at one place where we said horrible, offensive, terrible things all the time.

One place, the president of the company sat in on the interview and made a comment about my current employer (an online retailer specializing in bras/panties, but also sold men's underwear): "I was looking at your website, and you guys have a lot of hot models!"

My response was: "Yeah, there are! Wait... are you talking about the male models?"

I didn't really care about getting that job, but they still made me an offer. For 10% less than what I asked for. :v:

Gotta be careful about that topic specifically. You never know if the old-money CEO is violently homophobic and will hate you personally for even joking about his sexual proclivities.

That said, I'm 100% sure their offer amount had nothing to do with your comment. These days, pushing hard for slave wages is apparently good business.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Careful Drums posted:

When is it okay to leave a company?

If your current job is actively roadblocking your professional growth, the answer is "the instant you get a better offer."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Not Dave posted:

Welp I was hoping that aggressive networking wasn't going to be the end all be all solution, but that sort of settles it I guess. Glad there's still time for me to make up for being terribly unsociable. Thanks for the advice.

It's not the end all be all solution, it just opens up a lot more opportunities than being yet another random guy on a huge job site populated by job postings from recruiters and clueless HR drones. It also gives you a much, much higher chance of getting past Level 1/2 HR screening which often includes resume parsing software that rejects your application without ever exposing it to human eyes. Apply to the jobs through the people you meet, who are generally going to be much better at judging how your skill set will translate to their development team.

I joined a group of nerds in my area that would get together once a month for dinner and programming chat, after I graduated and had been looking for a job for quite a while. I got a couple interviews through my association with them, and they were with people who knew poo poo about the field (as opposed to HR drones). Though I didn't get my current job through that group, I still have them as contacts and the dinnertime discussions were intellectually stimulating on a level I hadn't realized I'd missed since I graduated. It's worth doing.

Oh, and even if you're bad at the socializing thing, remember that these guys are all nerds too and they all like the same poo poo you like (tech-related, anyway). You already have common ground with people like that. It makes breaking the ice easier.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Did you get a big raise when your responsibilities suddenly doubled? No? They aren't giving you any extra consideration for working nights and weekends? They have no respect for you and will dump you as soon as the product is out the door. There's no reason to bust your rear end for them. The worst they can do is fire you, and while yes, you have to pay the bills, working nights and weekends for any length of time is going to cause you more financial trouble in the long run (health problems, burnout as a programmer, etc).

If there is any hope of getting a rational idea through their skulls, you need to sit them down and tell them flat out that this project will not be done on time with the amount of resources they are committing to it. They either need to budget more time or more money (more programmers), and they need to work with you to come up with the requirements and deadlines, not just arbitrarily set them. I assume you have some rough idea of how much you can get done in a given week, and they need to have that information and use it. Don't threaten to quit, but you need to make it clear that the level of work and the time you have to do it in are completely unreasonable and that they're going to lead to ruin (yours and the project's both).

If they aren't going to work with you, you have two options:

1) Work nights and weekends like they want, burn yourself out, and still miss some of the "hard" deadlines because your productivity is poo poo from lack of personal downtime. That's just the way it works. You can't just "grind" programming like you're working in a mill; at some point you just run out of mental gas. If you choose this option, they will never let up; even if you complete the project on time and they keep you around, they will expect you to keep to this schedule forever.

2) Work 40 hours/week, miss some of the hard deadlines, and have a life outside of work. Get enough time to yourself to wind down. Probably be more productive each week than you would be if you were putting a ton of extra time in.

In either case you're probably missing deadlines. But if they aren't working with you to make the project to succeed, it's not going to no matter how deeply you grind yourself into the pavement. My advice is to take option 2. They don't own you unless you let them, and you need your own life outside of work. That's the whole loving point.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 1, 2012

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Shame Boner posted:

"results-oriented" boss.

Do you use a reasonably modern source control system? Make lots of small commits and show bossman how to look at the commit history. That will at least give him something concrete to look at and graph and whatever poo poo people like him like to do with that kind of information.

quote:

The federal laws state that a programming professional under salary can be expected to work overtime without compensation unless they make under $23k a year (it's $27/hr if you're paid hourly). Many states raise the minimum salary figure. I believe California's is $50k, for example. Sadly my state offers no extra protection. My only choices are to work overtime and hate life or not work it and risk getting fired.

Let me restate what Pweller said. Stop putting in this level of unpaid overtime. Overtime for developers is for crunch time, making sure the poo poo that needs to get done gets done. It is for short term. Putting in more than 40 hours per week in the long term actually decreases the amount of work you get done. There are studies that have been done about this. 40 is the number for a reason.

It doesn't matter how legal it is to expect you to work nights and weekends without additional compensation. You are a professional. Don't doubt it for a second, act like it, and demand to be treated as one. You can demand politely, and the advice directly above me is full of good ways to do that. But demand it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

csammis posted:

That's completely understandable from the applicant's perspective. I'm sure most of us have taken jobs where they needed the cash / location more than they needed the job - I know I have. But that isn't the perspective of a hiring manager with more qualified applicants than positions to fill. Why on earth would you hire someone who is not interested in solving the problems that your company needs solved? That person could be a flight risk when they find something they are interested in and a drag on the people around them.

(I'm using mostly 2nd person in this response; it's not directed at you, csammis, but at a theoretical, unspecified "you".)

If you're a recruiter or a hiring manager for a company that isn't Google, and you believe all the bullshit you get from applicants about how amazing your company looks to them and how excited they are to work in a cube, then you're an idiot. With few exceptions, companies all look the same from the outside. They all have an inspiring-sounding mission statement and a blurb about how great they are to work for and how they treat all their employees like kings and how every day your job will be an adventure through a land of unicorns and rainbows.

I will talk about solving your problems computationally all day. I'll talk about what I've learned and how I've grown and the problems I've solved computationally in the past. If you give me some examples of some of the problems your company has, I can talk about those, and chances are I'm going to enjoy solving them, because that's what I enjoy doing. Solving problems, computationally. My desire and ability to do that have nothing to do with your company's "About Us" page on its website.

But don't loving expect me to write you a sonnet about how wonderful your company is in and of itself. I've spent 30 minutes there. Every one of your managers could be a sadistic rear end in a top hat and drive me away within months. Everyone knows this. Demanding that your applicants sing praises about a company they've never worked for is pointless game-playing and the amount you indulge in it says something about the level of respect you have for your employees and their intelligence.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

it is posted:

SPEAKING OF RECRUITERS

One just asked me what I currently make at my internship. What do I answer? Do I answer?

Don't tell them what you make. It's not relevant. The only thing you can do by telling them what you make at an internship is open yourself up to a deluge of insulting offers by companies who want you to think that 30k is a good offer because you're only making 15k now.

If a given company thinks you are qualified for a position and they want to offer it to you, you can negotiate salary at that time. That's your position.

The recruiter will have a lot of reasonable-sounding arguments as to why you want to tell them what you make (and/or what your target salary is). Do not give in. It doesn't help you.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 7, 2012

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Safe and Secure! posted:

I don't really want to get a job later at a place where I have to avoid doing anything on my own time, have to get permission from my employer to work on particular things, etc. Is that unrealistic?

The only unrealistic expectation is on the part of the employer that demands such a thing, I don't care how common or boilerplate the language is considered among the people who wrote the contracts. Don't put up with it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Newf posted:

I'm ready to be embarrassed, but is it forgivable that I didn't know what virtual methods were when I've done 90% of my work in Java where that's how method inheritance works by default?

If you're interviewing for an entry-level position that doesn't specifically require any C# programming experience and you explain that to them, sure. Otherwise, it's a gap in your knowledge that will set off warning bells among your interviewers.

All the same, if you've done your coursework (I'm assuming) in Java but want to get into a C# career, you're probably going to want to study the differences between the languages. Maybe write a program or two in C# that exercises the core object-oriented concepts. Maybe go through a book like Head First C# or something.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Uziel posted:

I am also a Senior Developer. My title got upgraded as some type of Title audit due to length of time working at the company not as a developer specifically. At the time, I had only been a developer for a year and the rest of time at the time was tech support, etc.

I started as "Staff Programmer" and after about 9 months it got changed to ".NET Developer." The HR drones and/or department that prints the security badges are so drat clever that they thought the period was a typo (or they didn't notice it) so my badge says "Net Developer." I handle every aspect of software development here, and while technically the DBA(yes) has the final say on design decisions, he doesn't know enough about OOP or the .NET Framework to veto any decision I make that doesn't have to do with the database layer.

They could call me a software engineer, programmer, developer or architect and it would be accurate.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

:psyduck: That's ridiculous. Why does the DBA have authority over anything that's not directly related to the database?

:10bux:

They just piled a bunch of duties onto him because they don't want to spend the resources for a proper development team.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 4, 2012

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Tres Burritos posted:

Hah. I never noticed how!! getting a a new title.

It's not accurate though. His advice won't get you fired because by following it you'll never get a job in the first place.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ranma posted:

Phone interviews SUCK as the interviewee, it is awkward as hell, this helps diffuse some of their nervousness.

I know this is sort of outside the context of this discussion, but your comment reminded me of a phone "interview" I had a while back. It consisted of "Hi I'm the head of IT and we're conferenced in with the development head. You have 15 minutes to tell us about yourself and why you're a good candidate for this position. Go."

Cue me talking into Absolutely. Dead. Air. for about 12 minutes. :psyduck:

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

how!! posted:

Why does that matter? How does "showing your thinking process" solve business problems? In the real world, solutions matter, not thinking processes.

So you go directly from "problem statement" to "finished solution" without any thinking? The point is that the interviewer needs to know that you're capable of going from the first thing to the second thing, even if the solution doesn't exist online somewhere.

Also it sometimes happens that the point is to suss out whether a candidate is an obstinate twat with no flexibility or ability to work with any other human being on the planet.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

gucci void main posted:

The worst part is that I can't seem to dig up anything substantial on the parent company or its owners based on cursory searches. It does strike me as a red flag as a result, even if the working environment/location is seemingly nice.

The insulting compensation is enough to politely decline all on its own; add not being able to find out anything about the company and it's reason enough to run screaming.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

nmx posted:

He should forward them this.

"But that's a manager! Managers need at least 5 years of experience, while your position is entry level. Of COURSE your position pays less."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Self-employment is still employment. Similarly, volunteer work is still work (as in, it doesn't matter how much money you made). Did you learn anything in that year? Improve your coding skills or at the very least not lose them through lack of use? That's a year of experience in my book.

Also, did anything you wrote function on even a basic level? Get any kind of basic game engine functioning, even partially? Implement any commonly-seen game algorithms like pathfinding, collision detection, etc.? Put stuff like that on your resume in bullet points.

For example:
2011-2012 Game Developer (Self-Employed)
-Created game engine in <language>
-Implemented <algorithm>

Stuff like that. When you don't have a lot under your belt, emphasize the best parts of what you do have.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

gucci void main posted:

I was really more turned off by the "final round" comment which implies that they're looking at other people.
-snip-
This whole situation sucks because I kind of feel like I'm being an indignant poo poo over it, when instead I'd like to imagine that I'm just trying to be reasonable.

You really need to not take personally the fact that they're looking at more people for the job than just you. I'm surprised that you expect anything else, frankly.

Now, the part about them not seeming to care about your schedule does suck. Their process clearly involves paring down the list of candidates several times until they get to their favorites, which is pretty common. Welcome to beaurocracy. You're going to have to deal with that to some degree in most jobs, depending on the company (especially the size of the company). The fact that they weren't willing to be flexible with you should definitely factor into your decision to take a job with that company, but keep this in mind: if this is HR you're dealing with directly, it's not necessarily an accurate representation of the attitude of the rest of the company or anybody you would be working with. HR drones typically don't know a goddamn thing about anything we do as an industry, and have basically nothing to do with a company's business operations in general. After the most basic resume screening, they should really pass technical candidates on to the appropriate departments for further rounds, but that's often not how it's done, unfortunately.

In your case, they're probably treating you the same way they treat prospective toilet scrubbers or bus boys. They don't know you can demonstrate your ability remotely. They don't know what "programmer" means. They just know you're applicant 13827 for position #AA857 and you're in interview stage 3 of 4. So that means come in for a 1 hour(s) aptitude screening or whatever.

Again, you have to decide whether that's enough bullshit to make you pass up the job. My advice is to grit your teeth and go through with it until you get to the offer/salary negotiation phase, and THEN decide how much bullshit you'll have to put up with for how much money and whether it's worth it.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kallikrates posted:

I guess my impostor syndrome sense is tingling. After a pretty amazing interview on Friday I got an offer today.. I was expecting another deeper in person interview after it, since I felt most of the questions were pretty easy (compare some concepts of programming. Pros, cons, likes, and dislikes of a few languages I know. Basic architecting. A few simple live coding exercises: fizz-buzz, histogram, etc). Good tangents spun off of just about everything.

I guess everything is going too well.. I even managed to not spit out a number first on negotiation they said a number first and came down on the top end of what I would take. I then did the whole pause, and sigh trick and they came in with an extra 5k raise after a few months.. I guess I need to find something wrong with this whole situation. And if the interview was this easy maybe some of my coworkers won't be so hot? It wasn't a senior position but I'm not a senior guy. Apparently a lot of people are still filtered out by fizz-buzz.

If it's a junior position, it shouldn't be a surprise that they kept the interview questions fairly basic. Fizz-buzz is just to weed out the liars and people who think, "I can type numbers into excel, how hard can programming be?" and prevent more than 5 minutes of the interviewers' time from being wasted. There's no other reason for it. Don't think that what they asked you on the interview represents the average skill level of their current employees.

Is there any other reason for your caution aside from the apparent ease of the interview questions? Did you meet any of the current employees and do they seem beaten down? Do the development machines sound like they have small mammals inside them? Does their source control consist of a network share? Did you ask any questions about their process in the interview, and if so did the answers make you feel like you were back in the 90's?

If the rest of the company looks fine and the only thing concerning you is the ease of the interview, then what is probably happening is that you found a job that fits you and your skill set really well. Congratulations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Kallikrates posted:

Not a junior position or title, "Software Engineer". When at client sites we need to use client computers (win) but can ssh into the servers for development (sites are secure). But they give developers their choices of system for internal and use at home. I only met the people that interviewed me. Their process is about as modern as it can be when working with sensitive resources. Jira Github for things that can leave the silo, a couple projects in the apache foundation, etc. This might also be a "trading the devil I know, for the one I dont" issue.

It sounds like a company that has their poo poo somewhat together as far as process in concerned. If it were me, that would put them at the head of the pack, assuming they didn't have any other show stoppers (and easy interview questions isn't a show stopper to me, if they are capable of discussing programming details at all).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Mr. Crow posted:

Job-hunting, put together a checklist to think about / ask during interviews, to many / not enough? Any other good questions?

If you ask about 401k contributions, make sure you find out how long it takes them to vest. If it's like 5 years it doesn't really count as a benefit.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

No Safe Word posted:

The gently caress? There are companies that put vesting schedules on 401(k) matches? That sounds questionable at best.

The example I used was from personal experience. And yeah, it's bullshit and just another way for a company to screw over employees.

vvv Oh and we had to wait 6 months to start ours. That was formal policy.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jan 16, 2013

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Apparently I've got some talent with interviewing managerial types, and my most recent interview went very well.

What I haven't done yet is to interview with a developer, or over the phone; I'm expecting a call from the lead dev of the place that's interested in me in a few hours. I can't do it in person since he's about 500 miles away!

What should I do to prepare for such a phone interview - a phone interview at all, and the fact that it's a dev, not a boss, asking me. Obviously I'll have a copy of my resume pulled up to look at, and I'll turn everything off and shoo the dog away, but what else can I do to make the most of this?

The last phone interview I had was with a developer and the hiring manger together on a conference call. They said, "You have 10 minutes to tell us about yourself and why you think you would be a good fit for this position. Go." Cue me talking into absolutely dead air for about 7 minutes.

I'm not saying that that's what your phone interview will be like. I expected an interview with questions and a back-and-forth and all that normal interview poo poo. The only reason I got through it as well as I did was that I made a bunch of notes to reference ahead of time.

So yeah, it's probably a good idea to make an outline of all the talking points you might want to hit. Vaguely chronological order might be wise in case they want you to basically make a speech, as happened to me. If they ask you questions about your past work, accomplishments, projects, etc., it's nice to be able to look down and have all the important poo poo right there so you don't miss anything important or impressive.

Make sure your phone is fully charged and you're in a good spot for reception. Make sure you're comfortable (desk-comfortable, not bed-comfortable). Having a pencil/paper and space to write is always smart.

Edit: Since you're talking to a dev, I'd go light on the bullshit. If he asks about a point on your resume that you have in there for padding or to satisfy the keyword spiders, be truthful about it ("I took a Java class 8 years ago, so the experience I have with it is not very up-to-date. I'm confident I could train back up in a relatively short period of time if necessary, though.") If the job is going to be primarily concerned with a skill that you bullshitted on, a developer is probably going to be able to smell that fact within a few questions and probably won't be very pleased. If that skill isn't very important to the job, it won't be a big deal that you aren't an expert.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 5, 2013

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Ithaqua posted:

I never got a thank you email, either. :(

I hated getting asked "How did I do?". If the answer is positive, trust me, you know. If the answer is negative, congratulations for making it awkward for me. If the answer is "borderline," you just moved yourself into the "poorly" category.

Really? Your opinion of someone worsens when they ask for information or feedback?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

2banks1swap.avi posted:

So in the future don't send thank you emails?

I was hoping politeness would be well received. I did do it early at any rate, though.

My view is that if the person you're sending the thank-you email to is such an rear end in a top hat that they take offense that you're thanking them for their time and the opportunity, you don't want to be working anywhere near them anyway. A post-interview thank-you letter is also a good opportunity to re-emphasize that you're still totally jazzed about working at this super-duper company, etc. Just don't make it too gushy. It's a little something that says you're serious about this job and aren't just spraying resumes everywhere. Even if you are.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Just in case anybody in this thread doesn't pay attention to red titles or know this guy, the best thing to do under all circumstances is to completely ignore anything in a post by how!!. Don't follow his advice. Don't even do the opposite of what he says. Don't engage him. His programming advice is bad enough, but now he's in here directly sabotaging new developers' chances to have good careers.

biochemist posted:

One time I thought "if they expect me to wear a suit I don't want to work there". And then I grew the gently caress up and wore a suit and got the kick-rear end job. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that anyone in this thread looking for interview advice isn't a Zuckerberg hoodie-and-flip-flops tier programmer yet. There's nothing wrong with acting like a professional, especially if they're throwing software engineering level salaries at you.

I take a bit of an issue with the false dichotomy you're portraying here, but the sentiment is sound enough. A suit is not the only way to look like a professional; there are plenty of levels of professional business dress. But a requirement to dress more formally than you normally do should not stop you from taking a job that is otherwise a good fit for you. Especially if it's a first job in the industry.

That's for everyday dress once you have the job. For the interview, yeah, default to a suit or at least ask, same as everyone else has been saying. If you get rejected because you wore a suit to a loving interview, do you really want to be working with a bunch of hipsters who can't appreciate how sharp a guy looks in a suit?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Good Will Hrunting posted:

If an employer gave you a range that you'd hear back by, and you don't within that range how, long do you wait to follow up? They said they'd give me an answer regardless of whether I got an offer or not.

I'd give them a couple more days than their estimate and then politely inquire about the status of your application. Don't remind them that they said they'd call you and failed to do so, just ask as if nothing were out of the ordinary.

vvv Anti-clarification detected. Do you mean you interviewed for one job twice, like a round 1, round 2 thing? Did you interview for two different jobs at two different times, and they failed to give you an answer in both cases? I'm not seeing a scenario where I would change my advice anyway.

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Mar 11, 2013

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Cartesian_Duelist posted:

Man I've gotta link the employers in this city to this thread sometime. I'm a contractor, but I peruse jobs every now and then, and I've seen senior dev positions requiring full stack and front end knowledge be listed at 26,000 per year.

These are companies that have never had a development department or development staff of any kind. They have no idea what development entails, probably have no idea what they want to do with development (or maybe "we should make a better facebook! A college kid did, it so it can't be that hard!"), and haven't done any research. They probably heard some piece of news or a talking point at a seminar that made them believe they need a developer for whatever reason.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Gounads posted:

They essentially just do keyword searching.

Not only will they do keyword searching, there are programs that do this automatically now. You can be rejected without your application ever seeing human eyes, so yeah, make sure you have a bunch of matching keywords.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pie Colony posted:

How should I proceed? For reference, I already have a decent job with fewer hours, and I have a minimum figure in mind. On one hand, this company has a lot of big clients and has said they're expanding. On the other hand, all they gave me were 2 mostly non-technical interviews and a not-too-hard code test, and it's for a junior position, so I don't know how much they are expecting me to ask for.

It doesn't matter what they're expecting YOU to offer; force them to be the ones to make the first offer. It gives you an idea of what kind of value they put on the position. If it's insultingly low, that gives you information about how you will be regarded and treated if you were to accept the job (poorly and with no opportunity for a raise, most likely).

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pie Colony posted:

Right, well, how do I get them to do that?

I'm going to paraphrase (or directly plagiarize) a phrase someone else in this thread posted a month or two ago. If they're being stubborn about it, say something like, "It's important to me to get a feel for what kind of value you place on this position." It has the benefit of being entirely truthful, because again if they offer something stupidly low you know automatically that they want to take advantage of you.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Theler posted:

I recently got a job offer from a location in Manhattan to serve as a front end developer. Currently I make 65k in a fairly low cost area (about half the COL of Manhattan). I was wondering what I should expect for salary in NYC. I was thinking in between 85k to 100k, but just received an offer for 65k. Are my expectations too high, is there room for negotiation here or with such a low offer is it better to just say no and move on? I have nearly 3 years experience in web dev as well as a CS degree.

There is always room for negotiation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
As someone who has spent the first few years of his career working independently and for non-development businesses, let me tell you that I feel like I've got significant holes in my development experience. I'm missing out on the way things are done in the industry by working in these environments, on both a process side and a patterns/frameworks side. I feel like it's going to benefit me more, from a career perspective, if my next job is in a company where development is a core part of their business. For reference, I'm still in the very early stages of my career.

Then again, you have to ask yourself what you want. Do you want to be a software engineer, or do you just want to make money programming? If you don't have a particular passion for this, business development might actually be a better fit.