Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

2banks1swap.avi posted:

How the hell did 6 months of experience make such a difference?

Just wait until you have several years, those calls for jobs become annoyances. Being a programmer is pretty good right now :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
STOP QUOTING MY POSTS SO PEOPLE THAT AREN'T IDIOTS DON'T HAVE TO READ MY FUCKING TERRIBLE OPINIONS THANKS

perfectfire posted:

Is it really :stonk: bad to not know that term because I've never heard of it.

No, not really. It's referring to this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

2banks1swap.avi posted:

Any good changes or tweaks come to mind?

Are you unwilling/uninterested in leaving the Microsoft ecosystem? You've never used git or mercurial?

Having two pages is fine and dandy but it looks silly when you're listing things like "Problem Investigation" and "Documentation creation" as skills. Nobody cares that you can use Word, Excel or Powerpoint. You shouldn't need 12 bullet points to explain a job you've had for six months.

Honestly I'd cut the whole thing down to one page, you've got a lot of crappy filler and it's pretty glaring.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

2banks1swap.avi posted:

How's this look?

- Remove your education section, if all you have is an AA it's just going to be a negative.
- Still way too many bullet points for your current job, too much filler...
"Communicated with teams" is not a thing.
"Wrote documentation" is still making a double appearance
- Same with OnPay Solutions... "documented all code", "assisted IT staff" etc

What kinds of jobs are you targeting? Senior roles? Software developer? .NET only? I'm surprised to see Eclipse above Visual Studio in your IDE listing if you've a purely MSFT guy but I haven't done poo poo with .NET so beats me really.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Che Delilas posted:

I can't begin to imagine what kind of trauma I'd have to go through for that to change significantly.

Take a look at one of the paychecks

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ithaqua posted:

Good companies offer alternate career advancement paths for people not interested in going into management.

I'm not saying those paths don't exist, but it's easier and pays better to go into management. Mostly an opinion statement (the ease) but that's just my take on it.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

2banks1swap.avi posted:

The order of sql syntax keywords keeps escaping me since I don't write sql very often. Ugh.

This is pretty much what they were testing fyi. Asking easy syntax questions (in the case of SQL, the syntax of join is easy in my eyes) is just checking to see if you have any significant work experience with the technology. You should probably be writing SQL often if you're looking for non-entry level jobs that require knowledge of that technology.

No Safe Word posted:

Probably also because it's an incredibly obtuse language to work with in that regard.

When you say obtuse do you just mean "different from what I'm used to"? SQL is pretty nice if you ask me.

2banks1swap.avi posted:

All that C# stuff is "dddrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" with dribble falling down my lip about a week into doing Java when I was still in school, holy poo poo.

:ironicat: when do you think joins are covered in most SQL classes?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Why would you apply to a job that says you need three years of software engineering experience?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Don Mega posted:

Is this a real question? Let's examine the potential pros and cons of someone applying to a job even if it looks beyond their abilities.

I don't know if you've been following Pollyanna's programming saga but she's not at the point to be applying for jobs looking for experienced software developers when she's a student living 1000 miles away and has no professional experience. If you can walk the walk without the years, go for it, but she can't. Not that her resume doesn't just plainly display that she's in way over her head (which is why she's probably not getting called back for that job)

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
It's a question of how you should spend your time. Sure, don't eliminate yourself from positions, but also don't just send resumes to any position you might be able to fill. It's transparent to most people who hire and isn't really an effective strategy. You're much better off looking for 2-3 job postings a day and tailoring your resume/cover letter to the posting's specifications. Applying to jobs you're grossly underqualified for, even in today's insane software developers job market, is not really a good use of your time.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Print it, fill it out, scan it, email it back. Having an all in one is really nice for that sort of thing and they aren't very expensive these days. Fedex/Kinkos will work in a pinch as well.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
When you stop making 25% of the posts in the newbie programming thread

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

USSMICHELLEBACHMAN posted:

I really wish linkedin would let you filter out cybercoderz posts.

I'm borderline ready to tell everyone I know just to delete their LinkedIn, I'm pretty sure we've crossed over the point from useful to annoying at this point. The only people that contact me on LinkedIn are the people who contact me every two weeks for the same position I turn down. The best part is they always float these fluffy descriptions to me and I'm like "sure, send me the description" which inevitably ends up being the position they sent me last week.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Your first bug: breaks when you use a username that's all periods

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

Hmm. Well, I'm not good enough to code despite my CS degree, but I'm too good for regular IT jobs. Seems like a decent fit for me.

Honestly if you went through an entire CS degree and can't program in a professional capacity you've probably got way bigger problems than finding a job. Hopefully you're just suffering from some severe impostor syndrome, otherwise you should have really managed your time better in school.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

wolffenstein posted:

Might be the depression talking though. Or I read too much into tef's tweets.

I don't even need to look at your github to know that it is the depression talking. The market is insane right now, even having a passing understanding of code is enough to get an entry level job these days. Nobody is hiring Apple IT people? Apple alone has 260 IT positions open, maybe start there?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

qntm posted:

Computer science and software development are very different things, and a "CS degree" can lean very strongly towards the former and be of no help at all for the latter.

Yes but someone who does an entire CS program and at the end "can't program" has probably failed to really take advantage of the program/system. It's really a moot point because the guy who posted it clearly can program (as pretty much all cs majors can, especially those who have graduated). "I'm not good enough to be employable" is either bullshit or you really really really really really loving suck because the job market right now is pretty much the wild wild west.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ithaqua posted:

Do you have a SO Careers account? If not, I can give you an invite code.

Is SO careers invite only or something now?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

FIHGT W HUBBY posted:

Is it worth it if you don't actually contribute to Stackoverflow Q&A's? I've always been pretty intimidated because at my level I can't really compete with these in-depth encyclopaedia article-length responses I see that always getting the top answer.

But if so, I'd love an invite if anyone has one to spare.

You can contribute quite easily without an extensive breadth of knowledge. There are so many dumb questions posted these days, I have over 1,000 rep and I don't think I've ever answered a really technically complicated question (only asked). Also, asking good questions is one of the best ways to increase your rep, if not the best.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Skuto posted:

The point was that it's *worse*.

Oh come on like the UK's labor laws are really worse than the US. Think about this for a moment.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
https://www.edx.org is much cheaper and probably a better quality education

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

astr0man posted:

recruiters.txt

I just deleted my LinkedIn. Man that site went to poo poo.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ostiosis posted:

If anyone has any resume advice I would appreciated it. I spent a lot of time at my current job working on small projects for customers, but I tried to include some of the larger ones. I am trying to apply for developer positions and avoid QA.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21877235/pdlipman-resume.pdf

I like that you're trying to go for a unique style but you're going to shoot yourself in the foot if you don't make sure it looks perfect, especially in PDF form. Work on the alignment of your elements, I'm not sure you want to highlight your start/end dates like you're doing. Use colors and such to make your name/email/phone number stand out, that's what you want them to focus on. Using dashes for a seperator makes it look a little cheap imo. Either find a way to make your previous experience relevant to your current job search (my recommendation) or take it off.

Also, make sure you're categorizing your skills at the bottom correctly, it's a bit weird to see a list of IDEs and then SQL. Maybe I'm crazy but I don't think you need to specify your toolchain like that (especially when you really don't have one, it's just a hodgepodge of everything)

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Ostiosis posted:

Thank you both for the advice, here's an updated version: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21877235/pdlipman-resume2.pdf

So some basic nitpicking.

All of the languages you listed are "programming languages", and being in your situation, I might get rid of the larger headers you're using for technical skills and change it based on the job you're pursuing. .net should be at the end of your skills for non-.net work, and vice versa.

Personally I divide it into "languages" and "technologies", there's always going to be a little cross over, but you want to be careful calling things like jQuery or Bootstrap "languages" as it will throw a red flag.

Think page 47 from this guy: http://www.valvesoftware.com/company/Valve_Handbook_LowRes.pdf

You really want to show off that you have a broad base AND depth in a specific area (ideally the area that they are hiring for)

It can't be understated how important targeting your resume for the job application is. Beyond that, as a less than ethical resume writer, I'd also advise you to just figure out how to explain that two years as a vehicle technician, you will be judged for it.

Best of luck!

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

There's not much to explain if that was his MOS in the Army. The GI Bill as we know it, 9/11 GI Bill, didn't come into effect until 2009 so it wasn't really feasible to go to college after military service before then (the Montgomery GI Bill was crap).

Yeah, I mean, I would never hold it against the guy, but there are definitely people who will see it out there and throw the resume away. Better to have it come up in conversation during the interview.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

an skeleton posted:

People are going to throw away a resume because he was a mechanic 8+ years ago? If I'm reading that right he's been a developer/CS student continuously since then. If you're right then people do truly suck. :(

I think the real issue is that demand is high for a lot of entry level jobs. I've been at tables where resumes were passed over for ridiculous reasons in the name of "picking 5 good candidates to interview". It sucks, but you either play the game or get beat by someone who is.

Really though, it could be applicable in some job postings, and you should definitely leave it on. But certain sectors/people will certainly judge you. Hell, there are lovely people that will just chuck resumes who have military experience on them (not one of them, very valuable in my eyes)

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 26, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

bonds0097 posted:

Do you have any actual data to back that up? Because that not only sound ludicrous, but is the complete opposite of my own anecdotal experience.

No, only my own personal experience. I'm just a big believer in fitting your resume to the job and a lot of the time previous experience isn't that relevant. Resumes are a way to get an interview, nothing more and nothing less in my eyes. Granted, there are industries/sectors you work where being 100% honest is the only way to go (if you need clearance or what not) but I think by and large, being able to massage your resume is a valuable skill.

I will say though, do you have luck finding experienced people somewhere? Because we have tried to find them and have only been met with ludicrous demands (although the compensation structure we implement may be related) whereas we're inundated with resumes whenever we post an entry level job. Seeing people throw away resumes for silly things was at a previous job for a very lovely employer in the midwest.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Brannock posted:

Everything I've heard has told me that software companies were incredibly desperate for applicants. In fact it's part of the reason I got back into programming after a few years' detour away from it.

Cicero already nailed it as much, but pretty much any position posted anywhere online with the words "entry level" in it gets absolutely slammed by applicants. Most of them are garbage, which is why you get into these meetings of "let's turn 50 resumes into 5" because you can't afford to interview 50 people. Most good companies get around this by recruiting talent actively or posting their jobs in very select locations.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

It kinda seems like a lot of companies won't respond to you if you aren't in their area. Whenever I apply to Boston-based positions from FL, I tend to either get ignored or unceremoniously rejected. I have more luck than that applying to places nearby, even though there aren't many opportunities for my skillset. How critical is it that I be local to the position?

You should be using a Boston address on your resume, they shouldn't even know you're in Florida

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

What I don't get is companies that demand you do tests for them closed book. I'll be honest, my math knowledge is crap. I know the very basics, but for me to work out things like the radius of a circle, I'd have to google the formula. As, and I'm probably the only one here, working out the area of a circle doesn't come into my day to day to life.

What I am good at, is working out solutions to problems utilising google as the need arises. I won't google things telling me how to do my job, but I'm sure everyone of you here use google to check out programming docs etc. So I find it completely pants on head retarded that companies look down on people for not knowing alleged basics off the top of the their.

Likewise I'm a bit of a slow programmer. Which also seems to be a big no no for interviewers.

Not trying to be harsh but you sound like a bad programmer. You should not be googling for basic syntax if you're applying to a position that specifies a specific language. Bootcamp the night before, or what not, but there is a level of basic knowledge that you should be able to demonstrate if you're applying for a job where that skill is required.

I would also love to see other professions demand to see potential interviewees "hobby work." There would be a stink if companies didn't hire house builders etc because they didn't have samples of walls / electrical wiring they did in their spare time. I find it complete nonsense that this is expected with software developers however.

Do you think it's unreasonable for creative positions to require a portfolio? Programming is a lot more like painting a picture than building a house. Given that there's not a trusted organization accrediting programmers I don't really see a good way for me to vet your skills in an interview.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Steve French posted:

One major difference between portfolios for creative professionals and software developers is that, for example, past professional work of a graphic designer is far more likely to be public and included in their portfolio than for your average software developer, for whom much of their professional work is likely to be confidential.

That really depends on the sorts of projects you're building.

rsjr posted:

And programming is nothing like painting a picture.

I guess I just feel bad for you guys where you feel like creativity has no play in your day to day programming jobs. You also sound like a terrible programmer for what it's worth. The "how" of implementation is horrifically important, even if the people you work for don't recognize that.

rsjr posted:

This field need to stop pretending the majority of us do anything remotely related to engineering and maybe that'll stop the interviews from asking questions that aren't related to our daily jobs. Until then just practice problems from Elements of Programming Interviews (Cracking the Code Interview is scrub tier) and white board bullshit into six figure salaries.

Project much? Seriously, there are those of us who actually work on cool new problems in domains that don't involve building corprowidget #2378 and I suspect most of the people in this thread would like to do so as well

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 28, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

rsjr posted:

Congratulations on your job where you get to work on pushing the boundaries of computer science. Are you disagreeing with the statement that the majority of programmers do not work on cool new problems?

I am disagreeing with a few statements you've made. Firstly, "cool new problems" is not really a thing so let's throw that out.

rsjr posted:

A lot of us do nothing but look up documentation, wire together libraries and understand the business domain.

This just glosses over so much it's incredible. Wiring together a bunch of dependencies and building a functional app out of them is difficult. Yes, sometimes the product is quite simple, but at least for most projects, the reason you're even programming anything is because that functionality does not exist in the wild.

quote:

Personally none of the problems I solve are very difficult and if they are, there's probably a well defined answer online I can implement.

Implementing a solution to a very difficult problem is not necessarily a breeze.

quote:

This field need to stop pretending the majority of us do anything remotely related to engineering and maybe that'll stop the interviews from asking questions that aren't related to our daily jobs. Until then just practice problems from Elements of Programming Interviews (Cracking the Code Interview is scrub tier) and white board bullshit into six figure salaries.

I find it so amusing that people feel like they should have the right to shield their lives outside work in an interview. Why should that be off limits exactly?

I don't know why you're talking about engineering all of a sudden but trust me, all the stupid oversimplfying bullshit you're espousing could easily be applied to any engineering field.

quote:

And programming is nothing like painting a picture. There's a measurable for success with little room for interpretation.

Bullshit

quote:

No one outside of your team / other programmers care how you got there as long as it works.
"It works", another thing that isn't a thing.

You have poo poo clients/bosses

quote:

It's like a plumber thinking he's doing creative work because he can run the piping multiple ways. Having a choice in the implementation doesn't make you an artist man.

What makes an artist?

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Steve French posted:

No, whether or not creative professionals in general are more likely to be able to share their professional work than software developers most certainly does not depend on the sorts of projects I'm building.

I'm sorry, I spoke a little too quickly as I work in a field where we do produce front-end products. I would assume "show me something cool you've built" is a reasonable question during an interview for anyone who's building things. Personally I don't feel that it's some kind of great sin to expect an interviewee to be interested in the craft outside of work. Quite frankly, part of the whole "crazy demand for software developers" means employers can be choosy, and that seems to be a reasonable accurate litmus test given the volume of applications you see these days.

I still think having a portfolio is reasonable for software developers of all kinds, and honestly if you can't dedicate 40-60 hours of your life to making some open source contributions you can probably settle for the job that isn't looking for the person who has that passion you don't.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Steve French posted:

I think this is reasonable for people who do front-end work. I don't, however. I make open source contributions when it makes sense in the course of my job, and I've done little bits of personal projects in my free time, but to be honest I already spend 40-60 hours a week programming, which I greatly enjoy, but there are other things I also enjoy that I like to do in my free time. Am I not passionate about programming because I choose to only do it for 40-60 hours a week rather than 50-70?

Well, if you have open source contributions that I can see on your github, I don't really need to see any side projects because you've got visible code I can check. Passion is not a binary and yes, you are probably less passionate about programming than someone who chooses to do it during their free time on top of their job as opposed to stopping when they go home. Not a judgement on you as a person, just the reality of the situation. It's important that we recognize that I think even the people making these kinds of decisions recognize that it's a litmus test and nothing more.

quote:

Totally reasonable if you are hiring for someone for a front end position to not consider someone who can't show you examples of their work, but if you're hiring for a backend position and you turn me down because I don't have a significant body of public code, that's your loss, and nobody I've applied for a job with thus far in my career has had an issue with that.

It's not even about "public" code, have some private stuff to show me. I just want to see some code you've written if you're going to tell me you have experience writing code. "Everything is private" is a poo poo excuse and if that's the reality, you should just bite the bullet and make the effort to build that portfolio of example work.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

rsjr posted:

Hey man, I didn't mean to offend you comparing what you do to a plumber. You can call yourself an artist if you want to and IntelliJ your canvas I guess.

Offend me? I have nothing against plumbers, just bad/lovely programmers with bad/lovely jobs that project their misfortune on to the field as a whole. Nice fade away though

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013
Im actually not a front end dev, I'm a back end dev who went into management recently. But continue to whine about us asking you to provide code samples or for thinking someone who programs in their free time might be more passionate than someone who doesn't.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

But I think it's unfair to say I have no passion because I refuse to come home and spend what little time I get away from work, to effectively do more work. You say you pull and extra 40-60 hours a week doing hobby stuff.

quote:

I'm terribly sorry if I've started something. Just wanted to vent my bewilderment on the industry.

Honestly you're just kind of dumb (whether it comes to not know what a radius is or being able to read what I'm saying) but let me leave you with this: You said a few posts ago you program 9-10 hours a day. That puts you at 45-50 hours a week right there. If you are programming that much for your day job something has gone terribly wrong.

Quite frankly, I still think you're a bad programmer just looking for scapegoats to blame your failed interviews. Requiring that provide code examples is not unreasonable. Judging people based on their activities outside of work is not unreasonable. Get over it.

etcetera08 posted:

He's also a manager so his estimates are probably off by an order of magnitude or so.

Haha god drat you are a bitter little bitch. Have fun keeping that tiny % of your bill rate.

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Strong Sauce posted:

All of this is dumb and should not belong in this thread.

See the thing is my original statement DOES belong in this thread.

1. LabiaBadgerTickle's problems are bigger than his interviewer's requirement that he provide code examples
2. Every programmer (yes, even you back end guys) should have SOME KIND OF PORTFOLIO, especially if you're looking at positions past entry level
3. Whether or not you like it, you will be judged on how you spend your time outside of work. If you bust rear end and have awesome side projects, you will be rewarded. I'm not trying to make a value statement here, just as someone who gets multiple candidates and has to pick one, being passionate about the field outside of the office is as decent tie breaker as any.

rsjr posted:

You didn't really say anything except "BULLSHIT!"

Now this conversation might be outside of the scope of this thread, and I'm happy to make a thread if you think it's worthy, but to be frank,

rsjr posted:

No one outside of your team / other programmers care how you got there as long as it works.
Is crap. The method is hugely important and just because you can't see under the hood doesn't make it any less important to being a good programmer. And if nobody outside your team cares (ie the rest of your organization is ignorant to the fact that the process is as important as the finished product) your organization is lovely.

down with slavery fucked around with this message at 19:55 on May 28, 2014

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Otto Skorzeny posted:

Your accent betrays you - you aren't a real programmer, and you're extrapolating your experiences in the webdev ghetto to contexts wherein they don't apply. None of the big employers give a poo poo about your "portfolio" once you're at the interview stage.

"you aren't a real programmer" haha I love this kind of stuff too. Employers care about the work you've done previously. That's not a programming thing, it's a life thing. For many jobs, presenting something (let's call it a portfolio) alongside your resume and cover letter goes a long way towards proving that what is on the paper is accurate.

But I mean, I've also worked for a multibillion dollar multinational that had nothing to do with web dev where surprise, they were interested in knowing more about the python projects I had worked on that which were provided alongside my application. Maybe I'm just in crazy town where people give a gently caress about code samples but I've never been asked for code samples pre-interview and then not discussed them directly in the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down with slavery
Dec 23, 2013

Rurutia posted:

I think it's always useful as a newbie, but there are plenty of people who push it past that point as can be seen just recently and within the context of this guy who's talking about not having side projects because he already programs 40-50hrs a week at his current job.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have code samples ready to go for potential interviews. No, it's not "required" but yeah, you should if you're job hunting and give a drat, even at the higher levels. If your job is going to be writing code, proving that you can write code is going to be a big part of the interview. Not waiting until you're standing in front of a whiteboard to show them what you can do only works to your advantage. There's so much demand out there that you can get a job without a resume, much less a portfolio. But if you want a job that a lot of other people want, a portfolio/code samples/"that extra bit of passion" are what is going to separate you from the crowd.

I mean, what's the counter-argument, that side projects don't matter, nobody cares, and are a waste of time?