Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

The "you touched my gun" quips irked me out too, they are something from a Grifter book, Frank's humour is always deliberately not-charming and more annoyed than smug. He is Lundgren, not Van Damme, after all. But I have no major problem with that, it is a servicable, fun action book with clean art. Hope to see Punisher stealing a jetski some time in the future.

But the diner talk was alright - why would Frank need to be all like [brooding externally] when he needs to maintain his cover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Goran Parlov tweeted this yesterday

it is going to be called Punisher: The Platoon :woop:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You'd think he'd have run out of things to say about the character by now.

Punisher: Born was about his last tour in Vietnam in 1971 and the battle at Firebase Valley Forge
The part in Fury: My War Gone By with Castle took place in 1970, when he was already a professional killer taken into Special Forces.
All that is left is the true origin story, first tour in 1968 and the Tet offensive.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2015/04/punishers-mitch-gerads-designs-chris-kyle-memorial-benefit-patch/

Gross.

The current run on Punisher is interesting (in theory) because it is written and drawn by outspoken conservatives - that has not been the case for years. Alas, the result is quite boring "handsome Punisher as a hero", I would've prefered something extreme and true to the classic vigilante movies.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

http://whenwillthehurtingstop.blogspot.com/2015/04/crime-and-punishment-groan.html

Very good post on politics and the established tone of Punisher stories in the light of Edmonson's run.

Tim O'Neil posted:

Therein lies the crucial difference between the Punisher as initially conceived and developed, and the character as he exists now. By necessity, considering the character's age, his roots in Vietnam have been scrubbed. Now he's a veteran of one of the recent Gulf wars (the stories themselves being, I think, intentionally vague on this point). And right now in American culture there exists a sharp and contentious divide between those who celebrate these wars unconditionally as exemplars of American heroism, and those who regard the whole enterprise with sharp skepticism. The culture that promotes the likes of Chris Kyle will have no problem lionizing a character like Frank Castle as the patron saint of the "Righteous Kill," as opposed to a cautionary tale of an already-damaged human being destroyed by the trauma of a tragically unnecessary conflict.

It's the difference between defining a hero as a someone who takes on the responsibility to do the worst regardless of personal cost, or as someone who takes on the responsibility to do the best regardless of the difficulty. The Punisher has never been a hero, but he's often been an interesting character. Making him a hero renders him uninteresting in the most ugly and banal way conceivable.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

hahaha, this is full-on Frank Miller

Or rather, that Darwyn Cooke Question story from Solo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Wanderer posted:

There was a funny article I read a long time ago, where somebody made the point that until Ennis, the problem with the Punisher was that he was the perfect guest star but a lousy protagonist. If he were to show up in another book, the sales bump from the guest appearance would often push that book's sales up above the Punisher's own book.

His presence always invites the "should superheroes kill" discussion and people still can't get enough of it.

• Locked thread