Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Space-Bird posted:

I wonder at what point it makes sense to mail things over via bulk and then have someone distribute them in the US for you? Or is that something that is orders of magnitude beyond just a couple hundred books?

I literally just did this, except in the reverse direction. We shipped 300 ~64 page perfect bound books (basically trade paperbacks) from the US to Germany via UPS (basically, the slowest air freight option) and it cost something like $600. But the alternative was having our guy send all of the Euro books individually and after crunching the numbers we determined it was more cost effective to distribute them from a point in the EU. Plus, they wanted to sell them at European conventions and needed a quantity to do that as well. You could send them over via boat shipping but I'm not sure how much cheaper that is versus the time spent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

kefkafloyd posted:

I literally just did this, except in the reverse direction. We shipped 300 ~64 page perfect bound books (basically trade paperbacks) from the US to Germany via UPS (basically, the slowest air freight option) and it cost something like $600. But the alternative was having our guy send all of the Euro books individually and after crunching the numbers we determined it was more cost effective to distribute them from a point in the EU. Plus, they wanted to sell them at European conventions and needed a quantity to do that as well. You could send them over via boat shipping but I'm not sure how much cheaper that is versus the time spent.

I'm really dubious about sending things via boat... Last time I did that everything I sent was robbed and replaced with junk.. I was living in Japan and tried to send all my nerdy manga I bought over the years back to the USA. Once my box arrived it was just full of some random trash... And I had no recourse for doing anything about it...

But it's good to know that is an option via air freight.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

GreatJob posted:

It's a chat room where lots of people are talking comic shop and trading urls.

If that was a bad thing for me to post, sorry about that. :S I thought it was neat.

No there's no problem... it's just that I don't really understand how to work slack, and the page your url goes to doesn't really say anything.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 7 years!)

Hey Quetzal-Coitus--

I'm a Goon! I'm very a Goon! And I barely make my living creating comics! Can you add my button to the lead post?

My website is http://www.whatisdeepfried.com

Thanks! (BTW, I blew my entire year's advertising budget on this post, so I hope this works!)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Holy poo poo, I had no idea you were a goon. The "Warts and All" sketchbook that came with Weapon Brown is insane, really glad I got one.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Welp, time to read Weapon Brown again.

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Actually, since we're here, I make one too:

I think it's okay.

GreatJob
Jul 6, 2008

You did a Great Job™!
I asked for mine to get added to the master list sometime back, and maybe it wasn't added cause it was a small comic at the time, but here it is again just in case:

RAWR! Dinosaur Friends

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules
I'm ready to set out on a comic adventure hooray! But doing thumbnails for the first few pages has revealed something to me. Speech bubbles are a mystery to me!

So does the thread have any good speech bubble references or guides? Like when it is appropriate to use certain bubbles, different styles, etc.? Big boring circles forever and ever doesn't sound like too much fun for me.

Also here's my roughs for the very first page. Like I said, I am new to this, so any critique would be wonderful if people have time spare. Especially in terms of layout.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Try and make bubbles rounded rectangles, not ellipses.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
It's more like an ellipse with the sides squished down a bit... or a rounded rectangle that's a little overinflated.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Operation Juicebox posted:

So does the thread have any good speech bubble references or guides? Like when it is appropriate to use certain bubbles, different styles, etc.? Big boring circles forever and ever doesn't sound like too much fun for me.

Watch this video by Scott McCloud. Changed my life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsqRjBehmw

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Pick posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea you were a goon. The "Warts and All" sketchbook that came with Weapon Brown is insane, really glad I got one.

Thank yoooo, thank yoooooo! By the way, if you liked Weapon Brown, don't be shy about checking out the comic I am Kickstarting right now!

Operation Juicebox
Jun 26, 2006

Acnamino MR 100mg Capsules

Death Ray posted:

Watch this video by Scott McCloud. Changed my life!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhsqRjBehmw

This video is really great, thank you so much for sharing!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The OP might not actually be paying attention to the thread so feel free to PM them.

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
Added a bunch. Pm me if you need more.

Quetzal-Coital fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 22, 2015

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Death Ray posted:

Hey Quetzal-Coitus--

I'm a Goon! I'm very a Goon! And I barely make my living creating comics! Can you add my button to the lead post?

Thanks! (BTW, I blew my entire year's advertising budget on this post, so I hope this works!)
I started reading Weapon Brown today and just got to this part.

holy poo poo :haw:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
He actually made a magnet of that scene so I've got dancing dog balls holding up a printout of my local recycling guide.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

neonnoodle posted:

1. Stop drawing anime.

Trying to draw in an anime style when you haven't mastered the fundamentals of drawing is like trying to learn how to freestyle rap before you've learned English. Or trying to play jazz fusion before you can play "Mary Had a Little Lamb." Even though you love anime/manga, you have to step away from the genre for a while, or else you will never learn to do it well. You have to detach from it and focus on a basic skills first.

There's the underlying structure and then there's the stylized linework that goes over the top of the underlying structure. All the things you've been doing wrong have been for the same reason: copying superficial stylistic elements of your favorite genre with an obvious lack of understanding of why they're there.

2. Stop doing anything except learning elementary drawing skills

This means life drawing and lots of it. Not drawing copies of pictures or photos.

All the critiques you've been getting are about basic drawing fundamentals. Refusal to learn fundamentals usually falls into two categories:

A) "I want to draw in [anime/Jhonen Vasquez/MLP] style, so it's going to look weird anyway!"
B) The unspoken belief that one is already "good enough" and doesn't need to go back to the level of a goddamn baby and re-learn how to draw a box.

Sorry, but we all do. It's occasionally embarrassing and uncomfortable and boring but we all have to suck it up and start from zero. Everyone has to learn the basics, regardless of style, and nobody has figured out a way around it in the history of art education.

3. Fix your attitude aka grow the hell up pls

Saying "I'll probably always suck" is a cutesy poor-me way of abdicating responsibility for your own improvement. As is saying things along the lines of "Some people will like my stuff, some people will think I suck" i.e., "Oh well, there's no pleasing everybody!"

You have to learn to become brutally honest with yourself about your own work. And just saying "Oh, I suck" {sadface} is pretty much throwing up your hands and saying, "I have no idea! I can't tell at all how to fix my own work! I never will!" Which is complete bullshit. You obviously see the difference between your own work and the work you admire. If you didn't see the difference, you wouldn't go all self-pitying. There are people out there who suck who genuinely believe they are great. You know that you're not good yet. NOW TAKE IT TO THE NEXT LEVEL BY TAKING RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR OWN ART EDUCATION.

You are my hero.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006

Death Ray posted:

Hey Quetzal-Coitus--

My boyfriend wanted to say that he's your #1 fan, has the complete collection of your comics in the bathroom so he can spend his time there in happiness, and he's going to get either Roadkill or Clarissa tattooed on himself. He hasn't decided yet.

I'm your #2 fan. I love everything but am saving my sweet tattooing rear end space for dinosaurs. Sorry.

Death Ray
Jan 20, 2010

by VideoGames

Plethora posted:

My boyfriend wanted to say that he's your #1 fan, has the complete collection of your comics in the bathroom so he can spend his time there in happiness, and he's going to get either Roadkill or Clarissa tattooed on himself. He hasn't decided yet.

I'm your #2 fan. I love everything but am saving my sweet tattooing rear end space for dinosaurs. Sorry.

My number-one fan? Oh no… he doesn't want to whack on my legs with a sledgehammer, does he?

Tell him to contact me before the tattoo so I can draw it right! I don't like tattoo artists making it up! As for MY rear end, it is simply crawling with dinosaurs! REAL ONES! (Don't ask…. science experiment).

Quetzal-Coital
Mar 7, 2003
This seemed like a better way to quit.
I'm no Tony Millionaire:

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

I'd be happy to whip up a new thread when I get home if no one else has said otherwise before now :).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Mercury Hat posted:

I'd be happy to whip up a new thread when I get home if no one else has said otherwise before now :).

Lookin forward to it, Mercury Hat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

New thread is up!

Pick, if you wanted to be in the OP your old, old, old link was dead.

• Locked thread