Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Death Bucket posted:

Also, this is semantic and goony as gently caress, but if anyone can explain why a lot of people write the word 'gi' in all-caps, I'd appreciate it. I see it all the time have no idea what that's about.

Its probably just the way people write it, I don't think there is much to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

fatherdog posted:

Because the IBJJF are a bunch of pussies.

Seriously, lemme use slicers. At least no gi.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bohemian Nights posted:

Should I just start keeping my mouth shut.

Yes, eventually someone is going to seriously wreck the poo poo out of your knee or foot because you keep saying your super flexible.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Now I'm hungry for a rice crispy treat and feel an urge to brush up on my lower extremity defense.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

mobn posted:

that sub101 guy released a dvd in which all his takedowns are performed by bending 90 degrees at the waist and running forward. it was amazing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eusZGjMaW5g

Even the british are shaking their heads at that double.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

JiveHonky posted:

Have any of you trained using one of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0unUBxf8fE
Also, would you recommend this kind of strange guitar jazz for grappling sessions?

That is just straight up weird. No thank you.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Ari Bolden is a herb but that doesn't mean that the move wouldn't work.

Disregarding that its Ari Bolden, just looking at that submission (I've never had it put on me before) it looks like someone would be able to use their right arm in order to alleviate pressure and potentially escape.

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I'd just forget the half nelson part and do the Hashimoto triangle/arbmar though.

Yeah, this is what i was going to say. I like going for the armbar.

edit:

Remember, only roll around on the floor with mostly naked men, like god intended.

MycroftXXX fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 17, 2011

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Paul Pot posted:

will compression shorts tear in no gi due to angry buttscotting? I don't want to roll in my thai shorts, but I do want to try out the gay sport class without having to buy new gear

They'll probably hold up fine.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Who Gotch Ya posted:

I'm a lightweight blue belt under 30. My division always has like 50 guys in it. It's ridiculous.

gently caress tournaments I just want to have entertaining singles matches.

I'm the same. I went to the No Gi Pan Ams this year and my division had like 46 people in it. ridiculous.

You don't always have to do the big tournaments though, doing a small tournament every once in a while can be a good thing. My school does in house tournaments every three months with other local schools which is good for experience. Also, here in NJ there are smaller tournaments like the good fight or mid range like US Grappling which have competitions pretty regularly. I think its a good idea to start off competing small before jumping into one of the bigger tournaments. Rolling with someone in your class and competing in a tournament are two completely different animals, and I think experience really helps.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

J Wiggle posted:

I just started taking BJJ, I go to my 4th class tonight. Some questions:

Any tips on not getting triangled or armbarred when in a guy's guard? Anytime I try to grab him and push him down to start a guard pass I get my arm taken, I'm bigger and stronger than most of these guys so I can fight it a bit but eventually I get triangled or armbarred. I'm trying to posture up but my long arms are such an easy target.

Is it worth my time to fight close submissions? I am able to get out triangles and guillotines if I try but this expends alot of energy, am I better off tapping early and moving on?

The only advice really worth giving over the internet is to either have both arms inside the guard or both arms outside the guard. Other than that, the best way to learn defense is to keep getting caught in those submissions until you start to identify why you ended up getting submitted and what you could do to prevent it. Also, ask the guys who are submitting you what you're doing wrong or how they are setting up their submissions so you can better understand what exactly is going on. Its more of a time thing than anything else.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
$150 a month for unlimited training

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Training in the gi also makes your grip strong. Basically pajama fighting rules.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I'm up in the north jersey area from time to time. A few guys from my school just went to marcello's a week or so ago.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Xguard86 posted:

not me brah I treat every match like the finals of the mundials and I have never, ever lost or tapped to anyone. Ever. The keys to jiu-jitsu are, in order:

bench pressing.

Tattoos.

Stylishness of your gi.

Also talking about how you should be a black belt under x instructor, but you left his school cause hes like totally a stingy dick.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
The place I go is pretty laid back. Its an hour open mat, followed by an hour of the advanced class, followed by an hour of the beginner class (this is how is goes most days anyway). We usually do a couple moves a week, with gi and no gi alternating weeks. I know we have something like a program but I've never asked what it is. I've been told we have a reputation for doing a lot rolling.

I know at my bjj place, its usually about a month until they let new white belts roll. They basically want to make sure they're not going to freak out and accidentally hurt someone.

It sounds like the places you guys go are a lot more traditionally styled. We don't bow in or anything like that, and you're responsible for getting stretched and warmed up yourself. I kind of like it more that way.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Two guys from my gym went to the NY open. I know one of them took first in his division and the other I don't really care about (He's a dickhead). I really wanted to go but its expensive as hell and I don't have that kind of money to spend at the moment. :(

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I competed in the no gi pan ams back in October and overall it was a decent experience. It ran a little off schedule and I sat around in the crowded bullpin for a while after they called my division, but that should really be expected for a tournament that big and other than that I thought it was run relatively well.

poo poo like this, however, pisses me off.

Yuns posted:

wrong colored belt (Koral purple belts are too light and so people were forced to change to a darker belt but I don't think anyone was actually dq'd), etc.

Really? The color of the belt is in question. Not the actual material of the belt, they are knit picking over the shade of the color on the belt. Its silly and its clearly geared to force competitors to spend more money at their tournaments.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
So there is no such thing as a verbal submission on Judo? Weird.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

swagger like us posted:

Im just a white belt who's a giant pussy after getting injured once, but am I the only one who thinks only an rear end in a top hat would pull off a suplex in a grappling comp?

I mean, MMA I understand because your intention is also to cause lots of damage that way but, throwing a suplex seems to open up a giant scramble after as you have to flip over and get ontop of the guy. Once you get their back, wouldnt just a wrestling style slide fall back (I dont even know what its called, I've drilled it off an arm drag, where you baseball slide behind the guy to trip him down into side control) just be 1.)safer, 2.)more effective and 3.)easier to learn?

A lot of competitions ban slamming people, however if its allowed in the rules you can't really be pissed if someone does it.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I will fight* everyone in this thread

*play footsie

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

TheKingslayer posted:

I learned this from guard. You break their posture down, get grips and then bait them with a loose guard in the direction you want them. They go to pass and you spin to set the choke in hard.

Yeah, some people are sneaky as hell with this. It looks like Hage has a pretty monster grip because Maxwell looked like he was going to be able to transition to the arm bar but still got choked.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

I like how the dude break dancing all over the place ended up just quitting. Its no time limit man, relax.

That slicer is pretty nasty, I wanna learn that.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

LobsterMobster posted:

Not that I have a glut of options where I'm at, but is there anything in particular I should look for at a BJJ place, or any kind of martial arts school for that matter? Anything that should be a warning sign to avoid the gym at all costs?

I would try and check out the head instructors lineage and see if it looks legit. Most places will have that stuff posted on their website. Google the name of the school and instructor and see what pops up, either positive or negative. Sometimes you can look around at local grappling competition websites and see if the name of the school pops up anywhere in the results (although this can be skewed towards larger schools/affiliates).

Probably the best thing to do is to drop by and take a free class, get a feel for the place yourself, and politely ask the instructor any questions you might have.

I would be more on the skeptical side of MMA centric schools if your looking to get into BJJ. Not that they won't necessarily have a great BJJ program, but those types of places are where you will run into less than ideal grappling programs.

edit: i no rite gud

MycroftXXX fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Feb 11, 2013

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Can you get into that a little more?

Wow, rereading that sentence is painful. Sorry about that.

In my limited experience trying out different gyms, I have noticed that its is not uncommon for smaller schools that bill themselves as MMA clubs to have BJJ programs that are not so good. A pattern I've noticed is they will have a guy who has blue or purple belt from somewhere, probably some college wrestling experience or kickboxing experience, and they usually don't train Gi. Obviously this is not the case of every place that labels themselves as an MMA school, but its just something I would recommend people look out for. There are plenty of MMA schools out there with excellent BJJ instructors/programs.

And again, I'm not exactly a world traveler in BJJ, this is just things I've noticed in my limited experience shopping around schools, so please take my opinion with a grain of salt.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
I want to sit in on the part of the meeting where they discussed how squash and wakeboarding are good potential Olympic events but wrestling has no place.

Oh yeah, and wushu.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

DekeThornton posted:

Not to play devils advocate, but isn't it possible that wrestling is being threatend with being thrown out because it has become too tarred as corrupt even by IOC standards and it could be allowed back if it cleans up it's act and strange rulesets?

'Too corrupt' is not something the IOC understands.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed
Marketing Guru Lloyd Irvin, ladies and gentleman.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/4/9/4203636/lloyd-irvin-lloydirvinrape-internet-marketing-seo

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Dangersim posted:

It seems a little silly to wear gi pants in a nogi tournament because I feel like there's no way they aren't going to get grabbed, illegal or not

Pretty much and you can't really fault people for doing it. Everyone is mentally conditioned to grab gi pants.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

DekeThornton posted:

Isn't the idea behind a GI that it 's a good sturdy form of clothing that you can use in training which simulates everyday clothes.

I guess that depends on your definition of everyday clothes.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

At least his opponent used the proper defense; backing away with a disgusted look on his face.

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

Bioalchemist posted:

EDIT better link if you just want to watch the match --> http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/45610583/highlight/486225

Thanks for this. Eddie's half guard game is pretty cool but I still can't get over his crazy names for everything haha.

That slicer was brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

fatherdog posted:

Speaking of grappling PGL VII is being streamed on GoFightLive on Saturday for :10bux: They've got a pretty decent lineup of local guys and up-and-comers, including Garry Tonon.

http://professionalgrappling.com/tickets.html

I've gone to a couple of these, they're pretty cool. Make sure you check out John Battle, I used to train with him a whole bunch and he's gotten really good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBtZoVo1lTc