Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
I'm gonna go ahead and give some props to this little thing:

Vivitar PN2011

Vivitar PN2011 by brionline, on Flickr (not me)

I found my first one in our rural mailbox back in highschool, just sitting in there, not bundled with anything. I have no idea why it was there, but it accompanied me on a lot of field trips. Since then, I've picked up another one for 99 cents. Every thrift shop around here has several of these. Does it suck? Yes, absolutely. But it's so light and cheap that I can carry it while kayaking and not worry about destroying it.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I just got myself an XA for twenty bucks, aw yeaah. Tested and examined some weirder things too, like the itsy bitsy Minox 35.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

I need to give flash photography a shot sometime. I just detest the tendency of flash to give specular highlights and over-bright foregrounds. I realize this is because I suck at it.

I rigged up some simple diffusers for my thrift-store flashes to get around that specular highlight problem. Got any stage lighting, theater suppliers, or A/V-photo proshops around? Any theater tech friends, perhaps? See if you can snag one of these things:

(picture from Silverbased.org)

Or here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/45189-REG/Rosco_950SBLUX0103_Roscolux_Swatchbook.html
$1.95 for a swatchbook.

I got a bunch of these things for free awhile ago and found that the sample sheets are about the same size as the front window on most flashes. They're also made to withstand very high temperatures, so they won't melt when the flash goes off. Numbers 100 and up are the diffusion gels. Seemed to work pretty well with the Heavy Frost one.

http://www.rosco.com/us/filters/roscolux.cfm#colors

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 4, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

If it's a leaf shutter, can you see it firing open? Try testing a slower speed.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

One of the weird free cameras that I got recently was an Aries III rangefinder and the leaf shutter tends to gum up anytime I leave it alone for more than ten minutes between shots. It'll struggle open, fire wrong, then every shot after is fine - until I stop using it for a few minutes again.

If it's a similar problem with yours, you might be able to repair it with some lighter fluid, look up directions for freeing the blades up online.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Thrift shop trip report:

(camerapedia)

I found a Minolta Himatic AF2 loafin' around in a bin for six bucks last week. Seems to go for about the same price on ebay, five to twenty bucks on average... but it felt a lot more solid than most of the lame 80's plastic AF junkers in the bin, so what the hell.

Turned out to be a surprisingly decent little beast. The lens is quite sharp and that focal length makes it into an enjoyable walkaround camera.

Mom and Rosie by epomorski, on Flickr

baby goats yo

Yosaku by epomorski, on Flickr

Ma Bell by epomorski, on Flickr

(old missile testing film, grainy as hell)

Skez KFA by epomorski, on Flickr

I'm surprised that this turned out since it was handheld. The infrared autofocus seems to work well in the dark and I can't even hear the lens moving at all. Shutter makes a very weird BZZRRP sound which kinda sucks, but the ratchety thumb advance lever makes up for it... so if anyone's looking for a really damned cheap walkaround camera, this thing is pretty cool.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 16, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

You should probably shoot negative film through it, as negative has a wider exposure latitude than slide. See if you can find a roll of Kodak 400UC or Portra 400/800.

Anyway, thanks guys, now I have to keep my eyes open for a Vivitar UW&S and a Vivitar 2011whatever. :mad: At least they're cheap enough.

If you live in or near any large towns or small cities, it shouldn't be hard to find 'em. A quick sweep of the thrift shops around here would turn up four or five of them.

I grabbed a 99 cent Bell and Howell windup recently in case this topic came back up again... want it? I was also thinking it might be fun to mail the thing around to a bunch of folks, each person taking like two pictures and mailing it to the next in line as a group project. Wouldn't matter as much if the thing gets stolen or busted since it cost a whole dollar.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 17, 2011

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Yeah, 22 sounds way too high. Those kind of cameras are really meant for people who use all-purpose drugstore consumer film that emphasizes the scene lighting on the box - 100 ISO for bright sun, 200 for all purpose, 400 for cloudy, that sort of thing. F22 would kinda screw that up.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

ExecuDork posted:

I'm still interested in this - make a thread!

Hokey doke. I'll try to write a proper OP up for that by this weekend or something.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I HATE CARS posted:

Now there's a surprise. I should've bought more than the 3 Holgas I got on eBay 5 years ago, would've been a better investment than shares.

Could probably still make a killing by just buying up a bunch of crappy old Soviet plastic TLRs and then reselling them on Ebay with "L@@K! LOMO!" in the name.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

You jerk. The local photo store wants two hundred dollars for Seagulls. (okay maybe they're the jerks)

I wish my dad was still going on business trips to China... he got me a stack of really nice calligraphy/sumi-e brushes for cheap from one of those markets when I was in a college ink painting class, but he's changed fields since then and probably won't be going back anymore.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Right. XA is entirely useless without batteries.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

MrBlandAverage posted:

Maybe this belongs in the Toy Camera thread but I bought a never-used Ultra Wide & Slim for $10. It was advertised on Craigslist as a "Vivitar Ultra" by an older guy who told me he was getting rid of his camera collection.

Holy crap this thing is light. I can definitely see tossing it into the backpack on hikes. I wish there were some amount of exposure control because the situations I'd best be able to take advantage of the weight savings are the situations where I'd love to be able to use slide film :(

Maybe I should flip it to some hipster who would appreciate it more. Aren't these normally ridiculously overpriced considering what they are?

Hah, I see those things all the time at local thrift shops for like three bucks. I've got a bunch of one-dollar Vivitar PN2011s sitting around too, they're fun to take kayaking or to just throw into a pocket.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

The one button approach can be pretty damned satisfying, good for drunk-shootin' at parties.

quote:

Paul MaudDib posted:
Anyway, thanks guys, now I have to keep my eyes open for a Vivitar UW&S and a Vivitar 2011whatever. At least they're cheap enough.

You posted this quite awhile ago, but if you're still looking for a PN2011, send me your mailing address on Flickr (flickr.com/epomorski) if you'd like one. I grabbed a couple of 'em last time I was at a thrift shop and forgot to get back to you about it.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Blamethrower posted:

Picked up a Konica AiBorg the other day for £10 in a local charity shop.

Beautiful.

Ahahaha.

:awesomelon:

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

It's always funny to see how wildly wrong people often price cameras. Either far too low because "nobody shoots film anymore" or way too high because "that's what I originally paid!" or worse, "it's an antique!"

There was a camera shop near here that recently went out of business. When they got them, they'd sell working Box Brownies and old Kodak bellows folders for $5-10. A fair price, brownies are cool but they're certainly not rare. A salvage shop further down the road had a pile of busted-rear end moldy Brownies missing their film hatches and folders with smashed-out lenses or missing bellows... they wanted $30-50 each for that junk.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

PhotoMart on Congress? I'm still mad that I missed them going out of business.

Fotoshops, Photomart isn't a place! The bad one was an architectural salvage shop down by Franklin. It's a cool place but they're pricing mangled old lensless Brownies as 'antiques.'

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Mar 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

I'd go ask them to rescan it. That usually happens when the scanner is automatically cropping frames but screws up the alignment.

• Locked thread