Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

cyberbug posted:

I wonder whether there's still any demand for the Minox 35mm cameras? Minox is mostly known for the sub-miniature format cameras, but the 35mm ones are quite nice too.

There still seems to be plenty of demand for the GT-E, judging by the prices on keh:
http://www.keh.com/camera/Minox-35mm-Fixed-Lens-Cameras/1/sku-MX049991066210?r=FE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

A few shots from my Rollei 35

It's certainly not a perfect camera (light meter and frame counter are both inoperative), but for me the portability and reliability more than make up for these faults.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 19, 2011

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

FLX posted:

Which of the cameras in the OP (or other similarly nice recommendations) don't require a battery?

The Rollie 35 is completely manual, so no batteries are required.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

The Trip 35 is a decent camera, but the price seems pretty steep for something so basic. For that amount of cash you should be able to find a Rollei 35.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ExecuDork posted:

I'd really like a Rollei 35, but the prices on ebay right now seem to be pushing towards $200.

Keep your eye out for the Schneider-Kreuznach S-Xenar version. The lenses are identical to the Tessar version but collectors find them less desirable, so they tend to go for a bit less.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Machinegun Arm! posted:

So based on this thread, I decided to buy a camera for the first time in my life. I picked up a Konica Big Mini off of my local Craigslist and have been having a hell of a time with it. I just got my first roll back, and was pretty happy with about half of it, and quite liked a few of the shots. Having now purchased a bunch of cheap film on eBay, I'm realizing that I've committed to this thing pretty hard for someone who doesn't know what he's doing. Which is good! But makes me a little nervous.

That all being said, I was wondering if any of you could give me some (very) basic advice on things like composition, film choice, etc., or just point me to a place where I could find some. I tried googleing for photography tips, but all of the results were horrible. Also, I think I'll mostly be shooting color, but am not against getting B&W advice (in fact, the reason I'm mostly shooting in color is because I at first tried B&W and was completely baffled about what would make a good shot. If you all can get me competent at B&W, that'd be awesome).

Photo.net has an excellent guide to photography basics:

http://photo.net/learn/making-photographs/

Check the first page of the film thread in this forum- someone wrote an awesome guide to developing b&w. It's extremely simple after you've developed five or so rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

the posted:

Taking this to a gathering tonight. Works great, but LOL at the flash. Talk about top heavy:

What a classy camera. Old German compacts are the best, I need to put a roll through my Contina iia soon.

• Locked thread