Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone help me find a 1.35V EPX-675 Mercury Battery without getting mad hatter's disease??
This is probably the best/closest replacement available:

http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/photographic/weincell-mrb675-z675px-px675-mr44-epx675-1-35v-zinc-air-battery

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It will work with the Konica?
I'd image so, those were designed specifically for cameras requiring PX675 batteries. I've used their 625 version before - the battery life isn't as great as an alkaline, but the voltage is correct so the meter should be accurate.

Oh! I found a Yashica T-AF (w/ Zeiss Tessar 35/3.5) at a thrift store today. No manual controls (except ISO), and its not very compact, but I'm pretty excited to try it out.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

General Gingersnap posted:

I also have big hands, the Rollei may be a little 'too' small.
I sold my Rollei 35 for this reason. It's a neat camera with a good lens, but I just couldn't get used to the way it handled. My XA2 feels a lot better, but that may be partially due to the fact that there isn't a lot to control.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Haha, wtf. I got mine on ebay as part of a "box of 35mm P&S cameras" for $10 that also came with 10 rolls of Kodak Gold.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

if this was 36 exp kodak gold then gently caress you. my favorite daylight film apparently only exists on the east coast in bullshit 24exp variations. What other cameras?

Only 24exp :(

The others were huge Pentax slow zoom thing which I haven't used, and a Stylus Infinity that my son uses. The infinity is pretty sweet, half stop slower than the Epic but usually a lot cheaper.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Heading out shortly to pick up a Minilux from a guy on craigslist :smug:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

:toot:

I replied to an ad earlier for the Minilux, which the guy wanted $125 for. I meet him to pick it up, he says, "oh yeah, I have another one you can have too" and pulls out a Leica Mini II. So yeah, um... :dance:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

You can almost always use a new flash with old cameras, and the Konica Auto S3 meters for both flash AND ambient light (check the grain in the second picture), so it'd be a shame to use it WITHOUT a flash at night.
I just looked this up, and if I'm understanding, it uses a manually-entered guide number to couple with the ambient meter reading and the rangefinder's measured distance - is that correct? That just sounds awesome.

Oh - very impressed with the Minilux' lens so far. Now I just need to figure out how autofocus works :science:...or maybe just stop trying to put so much thought into it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RizieN posted:

So the goddamn Konica has bad water damage and the light shields are shot and its not worth 10 bucks according to the camera repair shop...So now I have to pay 15 bucks for a quote so they can document the damage and I can try to return this thing...E-Bay seller is a prick, DONT BUY FROM gsjy24187 on ebay.
Was the entire roll clear, or did you get frames that were completely black when looking at the negatives?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Walgreens just bumped their process only prices to $5/roll - the guys at the store near me do a good job and don't scratch my negatives, so I still go there from time to time, but I think it's about time to explore C-41 at home. I have a bulk roll of 160NC too, and most minilabs seem to get confused/nervous when I bring in reloadable cartridges.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

That's a pretty random request. Do you have any examples of the sort of look you're going for?

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

:laugh:

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

There are also serious business adapters (that correct the voltage too!):

http://www.criscam.com/mercury_battery_adapters.php

I'm planning on getting one of these once my Wein cell supply runs out, I figure it would pay for itself in about a year or so.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Beerios posted:

EDIT: On an unrelated note, how long ago did 3M quit making film? They tossed in a couple rolls of K-Mart branded stuff that says "Made by 3M" and I'm wondering whether it's even worth trying to get processed. (Or should I shoot it all for that "artsy" expired film look?)
I shot a roll of 3M slide film expired '00 last year, processed as C-41, and it turned out fine. I have a few rolls left, I may try processing one in E6 and see what happens.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

RoflcopterPilot posted:

Very cool stuff. I've actually heard of that complaint before but I'm not surprised and I guess to a degree I expect that. Who needs to know what you're pointing at when you have a film p/s?!
Yeah, my only complaint about the T4 is the lack of control. Supposedly, you can half-press the shutter button to lock focus/exposure, but I've never been able to get that to work. But it has the best lens of any P&S I've used (including the Leica Minilux), it's small, feels nice in your hand, and the waist-level finder is really neat.. If the controls were better, it would be perfect.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

My Leica Minilux broke :( Any tips from fellow Leica users on repairing it?

Mine just broke too, got the infamous E02 error. From what I've read, this means the shutter is dead and it needs to go to Germany to be replaced. I'll probably end up doing that at some point.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Oy vey. Isn't it basically the cost of the camera to fix anyways??
Yeah, probably. The benefit is that I know I'll have a brand new shutter, as opposed to a used one that could crap out any second.

I'm tempted to take it apart and try to hack the lens into an M mount, but I know I'll never finish it.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I have those aux lenses, they are pretty bad. You have to scale focus them, they throw off the meter, and the out of focus areas look really harsh. The GSN on its own is a pretty nice camera though - it's a little big for a rangefinder, and its aperture-priority only, but the lens is excellent. They've gone up in price recently, but they're still not particularly difficult to find for under $50.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

you know you'll never get another deal again in your life now, right

Not necessarily! I found a T4 for $2 once, and found another at a garage sale for $20 just a week later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

Prathm posted:

Now I just need to get over my fear of being labeled a hipster so I can try them out outside. :)
Be like the RFF nerds and put black tape over all of the logos, which apparently puts you into "stealth mode".

• Locked thread