Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brad industry
May 22, 2004

Ric posted:

This one is more an argument against carrying a camera 24/7, or making your lifestyle choices.

I think that might be a David LaChapelle image, from a series he did with assembling found snapshots. Either that or a really awkward party.

Olympus XA2's forever:

cheap, pocketable, easy to operate when intoxicated or riding a bike one handed, and fairly hard to break. Also you can get a cheap flash for it. XA1's are nice and more manual but gently caress that just spin the ISO dial on the XA2 if you really care.

brad industry fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Feb 9, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

General Gingersnap posted:

Thanks! Im not looking for balls to the wall creative control, just something portable/awesome for when I dont want to carry a slr. I see an XA2 with an A11 for $45 on KEH, I think Im going to go for it. I also have big hands, the Rollei may be a little 'too' small.

You can control the exposure on the XA2 by changing the ISO setting. Just treat it the same as exposure compensation.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

General Gingersnap posted:

I cant believe people are trying to get $200+ for XA2s on ebay, thats just ridiculous. I am still kicking myself for not buying one that I saw for around $30 at a thrift shop, but whtevz

I have 3 of them, 2 from Ebay, and the most I paid was like $30. People are retarded.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The XA rangefinder is definitely a "better" camera, but when I use a pocket point and shoot I don't want to think about anything so I like the XA2's. The A11 flashes are comically bad but are perfectly adequate if it's your don't-give-a-gently caress camera.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Nice find that looks small/awesome and is apparently pretty rare. There should be a switch somewhere to turn the date stamp off.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
Anyone want to sell a Canon QL 17 (or 19)? Thought I had found one locally on craigslist but guy stopped responding :(.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I have an all or nothing approach to cameras. I either want 100% loving manual all the way OR I want one goddamn button and nothing else.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I got a Canonet QL17 for $40 and 3 XA's for $30-50 each on craigslist.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

ExecuDork posted:

My next camera will either be a Pentax MX or a midrange rangefinder from the 1970's - so I'd be very interested in some opinions on such cameras and ways to keep them operational.

Get a Canonet. Really great lens and they are designed so well. There is nothing I don't like about them.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I think that is a common problem, you can open it up and lube it yourself. I just took mine apart to clean the viewfinder and it wasn't hard at all. Look on the Canonet Flickr group for instructions.

brad industry
May 22, 2004

TheLastManStanding posted:

My XA drowned in the ocean and it still works perfectly :colbert:

Your shutter button is going to die :(

brad industry
May 22, 2004
The shutter buttons are electronically triggered and if they get wet they die eventually. I think the XA2s are worse about this - I've killed two by shooting in the rain.

brad industry
May 22, 2004
I don't think I ever posted these, all Canonet or XA/XA2:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brad industry
May 22, 2004

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

These three are awesome, That second one is framed perfectly with the horses.

Pretty proud of that one considering it was $1 beer day at the track.

• Locked thread