Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
:siren:IT'S OVER! Great turnout (around 500), great trailers (around 80), great stream!:siren:

:yoshi:The Youtube Channel has been updated with EVERY SINGLE VIDEO submitted for the LPWS! Thanks to everyone who sent in stuff!
:yoshi:And here's a playlist of the videos that were on the stream in the order which they were screened.
:yoshi:And the final video of the LPWS Youtube channel, which contains a thanks to everyone and some links to the stream recordings.

The Countdown Site Courtesy of Captain Capacitor

Banner by DarkStarIV

Where to start..? I guess just hit up your favorite internet drama aggregator for the background on the Let's Play Convention chucklefucks, but I'll start the OP with these two things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pu3DK9zVBuQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frdR9TdhGug

Well, on February 13th, 2011, they did it again, as "The Let's Play Winter Showcase." If you missed it, here is the gist, via DarkstarIV:

DarkstarIV posted:

I may not be able to provide much information, but someone tipped off Chip, and General Ironicus posted a link to the stream. Somehow, everyone got modded and started raising hell. This caused the guy running the stream to throw a bitchfit and get a Ustream admin in the chat, who demodded everyone but the original mods. Baldurk may have been banned before. I don't know. The "lpers" then went on to stream lovely trailers for their future lps.

People in the chat started saying RIP Baldurk, and show Chip and/or Baldurk's trailer! The people running the stream said that Baldurk wasn't a member of their "convention", in which goons started spamming chat and causing mischief in general. After a bit of spamming through several mediums, they agreed to show it (But they didn't.).

Then, some dude named MarioMaster showed his trailer. The guy running the stream said to mod him. Fatal mistake. A goon had registered Mariomaster's name. Said goon then modded everyone again, in which the original mods were immediately demodded, and then banned. The guy running the stream then went to the Ustream admins again and bitched. This time, they just shut down the stream completely, saying it will be back tomorrow (I doubt it).

Could you consider this a victory for SA? I have no idea. You be the judge.

At the conclusion of the trailer festival, Master of Ceremonies and Professional Whiner, thebestmetroidfan (aka Chozo Disciple), asked the chat what their favorite trailer was. After a chorus of "they all sucked," he dared us "to do better."

Challenge accepted! On Friday, April 1st, let's have our own LPWS - Let's Play Wanking Session - wherein we showcase our own LP trailers!

We're looking for youtube-quality hilarity. Intentional badness. Tongue-in-cheek humor. We're also looking for well-edited entries. Epic trailers for stupid games. Let's Play/videogame-related parodies of movie-trailers. We want a variety of games, jokes, and styles of editing, so don't all choose the same clichés covered in the awful stream, or very direct parodies of the trailers featured therein. Be creative! Put as much effort into it as you want, and have fun and poo poo. You can even submit as many trailers as you want!

Send trailers to letsplaydropoff@gmail.com. Please send the files themselves, via megaupload or similar sites, along with the name you would like it to be credited under (SA username, real name, whatevs.) Failing that, use youtube and I'll try to download 'em. We'd prefer them to be debuted on the stream, so refrain from posting them here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status update (as of March 25th):

63 trailers total, at this time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ACTUAL videos from the stream, for inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f4aQbtvQwg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBJPNT40Kzo

Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYaqioEYgg by ChipCheezum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCGbYMD1ZDA by etherealblah (DO NOT MAKE ALL TRAILERS FOLLOW THE FORMAT OF "Footage from Game A, music from Game B, Game C is the game getting LP'd" BECAUSE IT'S ONLY GONNA BE FUNNY ONCE OR TWICE, Y'KNOW.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO8wJhRpFHM by Blister

This is also perfect, by dirtysammiches
Another good example of a high-effort mockery by Quovak

Only rules (so far):
-Please don't make them too long and painful. Funny > painful. In honor of the six minute story-based LP trailer that was comprised of every single cutscene from Diablo, please keep the trailers under half that time: 3 minutes. Those who sent in 6 minute-long trailers before this rule change are okay to stay though, since it ain't their fault.

Another rule-thing

Blister posted:

Eh, try can we focus on making the trailers funnier and less in joke and youtubeish? If people are just gonna mash together crap that doesn't make sense and post random quotes it'll just be emulating the lovely trailers to a T, instead of adding humor.

Let's also try not to insult the people straight out, it's no fun if it's too obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Yeah well why don't you go make an LP instead of living in your mothers basement and eating cheetos and trolling and spamming

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
My plans for LPWS 2011 are top secret but I can assure you that everyone should be excited for it.

Giragast
Oct 25, 2004
Inquire within about our potato famine!
I don't think I have the ironic skills to make anything so bad it's good, but I'll be looking forward to the poo poo awesome YouTube-quality trailers that'll FINALLY put SA-LPs on the motherfucking map, yo!

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
This is going to be so much fun!

Herr Zwiebel
Apr 25, 2009

Worry Not,
Wonder Not.
Grimey Drawer
I'm SO in. I can't LP, but I sure as hell can make a most exciting trailer the likes of which YE 'AVE NE'ER SEEN. With eurodance music.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I'll definitely make something for this tomorrow. Would it be acceptable for one person to submit two videos? I have a couple of ideas and can't decide which one would be better.

All the best YouTube Celebrities have no less than four LPs going at the same time anyway.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
I think it's not really a contest and more just having fun with it, so I think you should be able to submit more than one. Maybe clarify in the OP?

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
As of right now, there are no limits to how many videos you can submit for screening. It's not a contest, there are no judges, so we're not choosing the best ones or limiting entries. If we get absolutely swamped to the point that it would take a really unreasonable amount of time to show them off, we might have to prune them down a bit, but we'll cross that bridge when/if we get to it.

edit: OP'd

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
VoidBurger, thank you for doing this. When you first suggested it, I thought "If only... :allears:"

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!
I was entertained enough by the chat to stay in that godawful stream for a few hours, so you know I'm all up to watch silly trailers. Hell I might even make one of my own if I get a good enough idea.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
So down for this, and can't wait to see what everyone comes up with. :allears:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Count me in, although I have no clue what game to use.

the real blah
Oct 31, 2010
Don't forget: at random times in the middle of the stream you have to flip out, yell at your co-hosts and kick-ban everyone.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Everyone will be a mod from the get-go.

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!

VoidBurger posted:

Just as it should be.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:

VoidBurger posted:

Alright, now I'm on board, time to go buy a webcam to record my trailer off my monitor with.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Mod Ironicus He'd Make A Great Mod

so excited for this you have no idea

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.
Also, the stream will be dedicated to Baldurk's memory.

If anyone wants to make cheesy trailers ADVERTISING the WankFest, like how the LPC kids did for their stream, please post them here!

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
Can we get someone to repost the trailer someone made for the final update of Personman's Yugioh LP?

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.

Voidburger posted:

If anyone wants to make cheesy trailers ADVERTISING the WankFest, like how the LPC kids did for their stream, please post them here!

I would, but I'm not sure people would really be that enthused this early on with so little forenotice. In about a week I'll post the exclusive LPWF2011 Trailer trailer so that people can properly build up their anticipation.

Death Bot posted:

Can we get someone to repost the trailer someone made for the final update of Personman's Yugioh LP?

Right here.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
I'll try and put together a little somethin somethin

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
An idea immediately came to mind so I will run with it.

Ninja_Orca
Nov 12, 2010

by hoodrow trillson
I know just enough to gently caress up.

I can't not do it.

gandhichan
Dec 25, 2009

There's a new terror of the skies, bitches.
AND HER HAIR IS PINK.
I've got an idea but am afraid like 5 other people have the same idea. No harm in trying, though.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

I promise not to hack this stream.

snarkcookie
Mar 25, 2007

Delicious Sarcastic Morsels with Every Bite!

Chunky12345 posted:

I promise not to hack this stream.

And I promise not to subvert the chat after gaining your trust by masquerading as an LP "superstar".

ceo n. morgan
Feb 2, 2011

gandhichan posted:

I've got an idea but am afraid like 5 other people have the same idea. No harm in trying, though.

That's the reason why you should be doing it.

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

See, the problem with online communication is that you can't feel my beard through the HTML.
I think the April 1st deadline might be too far off. Since we're mostly going to be making bad trailers we don't really need the time to polish a quality product, everybody seems to be planning on making trailers this week anyway, and since the joke is pretty topical I don't think it will be as funny a month and a half from now. It might make more sense to hold the LPWS in just a week or two while the joke's still fresh in our minds and we're still interested in the "challenge".

dirtysammiches
Jun 14, 2010

Hah, surprised to see my video made it into the OP. I'll definitely be submitting something for this thread, can't wait for the stream, etc.

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

Quovak posted:

I would, but I'm not sure people would really be that enthused this early on with so little forenotice. In about a week I'll post the exclusive LPWF2011 Trailer trailer so that people can properly build up their anticipation.

Right here.

Quovak just for you I'm gonna make a fake trailer for my Path LP. I had some ideas for doing a video that I thought were too over the top/silly for the tone I had and this seems pretty perfect for that.

LPWS STARDOM HERE I COME

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Death Bot posted:

Wow, that was the most amazing thing.

I shall set to work on an idea I have.

Plutonic Cheddar
Mar 23, 2010

I'm off to the chocolate factory! Up yours Wonka!
Well, I needed an excuse to try and record stuff, I guess this could work! Where's my digital camera and PSP...
Ah man, now a have a great idea!

Hopefully I can make something awful :rimshot: enough to make this thread proud. Should this be advertised all serious so people think it is a "proper" LP convention?

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

I have a plan. It involves low effort and Windows Movie Maker. It cannot fail.

Moscow Mule
Dec 21, 2004

Nothing beats the taste sensation when maple syrup collides with ham.
I wonder how many viewers the Let's Play Mention Convention would've had if SA users hadn't been there?

Quovak
Feb 2, 2009

thevoiceofdog posted:

Quovak just for you I'm gonna make a fake trailer for my Path LP. I had some ideas for doing a video that I thought were too over the top/silly for the tone I had and this seems pretty perfect for that.

LPWS STARDOM HERE I COME

I beat you to the punch a few months ago; Cymbal Monkey asked me to make a trailer for his Path LP which I did on the condition that I could insult him freely.

Shameless pimping of my own creation.

Personally I think it's the greatest video ever created by man. I think the only hope you have is making your trailer the second coming of Un Chien Andalou so that I can't understand it.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

I have a plan. It involves low effort and Windows Movie Maker. It cannot fail.
I'm in. Hell, making lovely Youtube stuff with Windows Movie Maker is so easy it's no wonder there are so many turds out there. It's kind of addicting in a bad, stop it before you put your eye out kind of way.

Fridurmus
Nov 2, 2009

:black101: Break a leg! :black101:
I'm just wanting to make sure; does anyone give a poo poo if I make a trailer for an LP that I've already finished or is close to being finished?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I would assume the only criterion will be hilarity and/or ironic or mocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDayLife
Jan 26, 2006

On a two-day vacation
*poot*

This is great.

I have a neat idea that I'm not sure I'm going to be able to pull off.

I would like to suggest that if you get too many of same idea, to get rid of the shittier ones, or at least post in the thread and "HEY FUCKS, NO MORE ANIME MUSIC VIDEO LP TRAILERS" or something.