Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Bip Roberts posted:

Well god know what would happen when he tells Russia that he won't support NATO countries and then decides that some invasion makes him look like a pussy.

If Putin rattled his sword at Western Europe in a parallel universe where the US doesn't exist, France and the UK would still pose a credible nuclear deterrent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
The Mason got fired on..... again

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well this wont end well. i assume it was the houthies/iranians again?

Likely, they control that area of the coast.

The second attack resulted in three radar sites getting whacked, I'd expect a more robust response this time.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah. I assume they are trying to draw us in there or are they just taking shots at anything in the gulf. what kind of missles are they using? the houthies i mean.

C-802, Iranian provided export version of Chinese YJ-8's is the going thought.

Warbadger posted:

The most I can see happening is a more thorough targeting of ASMs and maybe some retaliatory strikes on C3 stuff.

Oh certainly. We're not invading them or flattening airfields and poo poo, but I expect anything on the coast that looks like radar or a missile is gonna have a bad day.

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

I recall a theory that the uprising in Syria was partially due to climate change wrecking the agricultural industry there. Has anyone proposed any UN-led solutions to these dust-ups, or are we expecting these places to be the battlegrounds of a string of proxy wars between NATO, Russia, and China?

These are just the first shots fired in a greater Resource War that's brewing. People are going to be dying wholesale over potable water soon. It's loving scary.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Oct 16, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

This is literally the worst loving idea. Ostensibly US allies fighting each other, empowering Iran, Turkey becomes an utter mess and the US tries desperately to ignore it while issuing meek statements of "lets just get along guys".

I'm pretty sure the going thought is Turkey really isn't an ally anymore. There's been a noticeable shift in both Iraq's tone towards them and the US ignoring said tone. We have to stay cordial while we have forces still stationed there, but no one expects Turkey to remain a member state of NATO now.

gently caress 'em.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

FaustianQ posted:

Maybe I'm being naive here but I don't think you guys understand the geopolitical impact of the US dropping Turkey but still trying to keep the strategic assets in the area. The US will not drop Turkey, they'll just be cold to each other and it'll make the US's relationships in the middle east awkward.

It's not that NATO is going to eject Turkey, obviously NATO understands the geopolitical importance of the area.

The problem is Turkey is slowly sliding under the Russian sphere of influence.

There's a reason the US moved the nuclear weapons that had been there for decades, and it's not simply just because of the coup.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Doctor Malaver posted:

Yeah, no one, right.

Turkey wasn't thrown out of NATO for invading Cyprus, it won't be thrown out for some troops in Iraq.

So when they cut ties with NATO what are we gonna do, tell them they can't leave?

No one is ejecting them, they are moving on a path to increased relations with Russia at the expense of NATO.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nenonen posted:

I don't even know what I'm watching right now. Some civilian looking old dudes joking and taking shots with AKs at some village kilometres away, clearly outside sniper range or they would be up for a bad surprise.

Hard to say, but in their defense two things might be going on. First, there may be entrenched positions in between the buildings and them. Second, they may be providing covering fire for a unit advancing.

Or they might just be shooting wildly.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Nenonen posted:

To me they looked like some head honchos paying a visit to the front and a camera man followed them when they decided to entertain themselves with some practical shooting. If you look at the man in the centre you can see he's got a white shirt sleeve coming from under the jacket. Would an ordinary soldier wear a white shirt under his uniform in the desert like ever? They also don't wear helmets while the guy on the left has one.

It's entirely possible.

The thing about the Kurds is they really don't have uniform regs like a Western power does so you can't really identify people by what they are wearing.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i um, feel like i fell behind. what master? is it Gulen? It's Gulen, isn't it.

I think at this point the going conspiracy theory isn't that Gulen was behind the coup, it was that the CIA was using Gulen as a front for the coup.

So I think he's talking about the US.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I say let him do it. There's far too few videos of poorly used Turkish M60's getting whacked by ATGM's

e- bonus points if they use a TOW

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Erdogan is probably on the phone with Putin every step of the way. This is all stuff directed at the US.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Al-Saqr posted:

Hate to break it to you but Russia is a cuck bitch compared to Nato military power, hell they're so incompetent they cant even make their own former vassal states not hate them and split like Ukraine. two or three fighter squadrons of top of the line Turkish NATO jets can pretty much end the entire Russian detachment in Syria in a heartbeat.

:allears:

Tell us more about how Russia's entire air force is stationed in Syria

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Dodoman posted:

He specifically says Russian detachment in Syria.

.... oh of course he did. I forgot that Russia wouldn't just turn Turkey into a parking lot in retaliation.

Turkey could dislodge Russia from Syria, I'm confident of it. They'd also make it politically expedient for NATO to abandon them because they launched an aggressive action unilaterally, and then Russia would loving wreck them.

e- One has to wonder why in 40+ years East Germany didn't just destroy the US detachment in West Germany. I bet they just never thought of it.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 21, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

thatfatkid posted:

Ahh good we're back to the lusting for russian blood part of the thread cycle again.

Maybe it's because I'm a child of the Cold War, but it's frankly terrifying how many people think nations can just launch military action against Russia with no consequence.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It really does make me feel old when it's brought up again that people born when the wall fell are pushing 30 now.

A whole generation unfamiliar with how scary a powerful Russia is.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Play posted:

Russia is not a threat to the United States itself, just our foreign policy. Russia's successes are entirely based on the west's restraint. That restraint is pretty significant but not immeasurable. Honestly, Russia would achieve a lot more power by joining the western bloc and staying quiet, but that wouldn't suit Putin's domestic politics. Sure, the west is more scared of war with Russia than Russia is, but Putin has still backed down plenty of times. His success lies in walking that line, but he is fully aware that really, he can only go so far as interfering in countries that are not backed by Nato.

I would counter this with threatening the lone superpower's foreign policy aims threatens the superpower directly.

I mean, we seem to be powerless to stop Russia from influencing 4 strategic waterway passages in the region either directly or indirectly. Seems pretty threatening to the US and our economic and geopolitical goals.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Daesh launched multiple attacks in Kirkuk, which is quite horrible. Fighting ongoing, at least 10 civilians dead, but probably a lot more. Apparently they infiltrated from Hawija, but I don't understand how that's possible.

Livestream of the gun battle as of 8am EST

Dunno how long this will stay live, but it's nuts. ISIS took over a building and now it's just a raging fight.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Al-Saqr posted:

Listen, I agree, turkey is playing a dirty game, but in this case when it comes to Aleppo, It's not a foreign policy aim it's a human life and human rights aim, Aleppo is about to get genocided, if you're not helping stopping it and if you're going to try and stop people from stopping it, then you're not a third party but Youre actively helping the side doing the genociding, either step aside or get hosed.

Guess what, if your foreign policy is to save an entire city of people from getting murdered by another group whose foreign policy is to gas and burn them to submission, then you're in in the right and should do what it takes to save them, given that there's no way left to diplomatically talk them down from being fascist mass murderers.

Turkey, noted anti-genocide actor on the world stage

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Lustful Man Hugs posted:

Nobody is claiming that Turkey is firmly against human rights abuses, but Stalin did prevent atrocities by taking out the Nazi regime.

Al-Saqr said it was firmly a human rights issue, which is why I said that. Hardly any nation of power has a clean history.

I will say, though, that perhaps Stalin's push to Germany may not have been the best example for you to choose.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was Turkey this loving frustrating during the Cold War?

Probably, but my grandfather always spoke highly of them based on his experience in the Korean War.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Potential BFF posted:

IIRC the US doesn't export M1s with the super chunky DU armor to anyone, let alone Iraq.

Correct, Chobham armor is still classified and only the US M1, and British Challenger I and Challenger II feature it. Neither the UK nor the US export models that feature it.

OctaMurk posted:

The Saudi M1s might

They don't.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Oct 25, 2016

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Grouchio posted:

A colleague of mine in ME Politics Class today pondered whether or not Syria and other ME nations could pull a 1950s German miracle after war's end. I considered his optimism myopic. How can we prove him wrong?

There will be no Marshall Plan for the Mideast at the end of this, for one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

you are a good poster

• Locked thread