Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I'll be the ignorant guy and ask why haven't any of the rebel groups killed Assad or his brother yet. I assumes it because he is well protected. I think a suicide bomber blew his brothers leg off like a year ago, but i am not sure. Sorry for my ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Now don't you worry about a thing. This guy right here next to me in the balaclava? He's a doctor. He's not just some goon off the street. He's got plenty of experience cutting hands off. Rest assured.
Stupid question, whats a HADD. I assume its hand chopping, but i am not sure.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Now i sorta feel like we shouldn't have pulled out, but if it wernt ISIS trying to take over, it would be some other hosed up group. Is there a way, i can blame bush for this that will make me feel better and that pulling out was the right decision.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

So, apparently ISIS is claiming they kidnapped some Israeli teens.

http://www.haaretz.co.il/news/politics/1.2348391

I can't read Hebrew but is that what the article is saying?

wow, that seems like a realy stupid move on ISIS part.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Nckdictator posted:

Oh internet comments

When did Al Jazeera become bizarro FReep?

yeah, its sad. I hate BiBi as much as most on D&D, but when i read comments like this, i can kinda of see where his hosed up paranoia comes from.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So whats going to happen, I assume the kurds will fight ISIS if they get to close, and now Iranians are going to invade to fight ISIS. the middle east is going to consumed in fire isn't it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

wow, destroying graves and shrines and history. Thats hosed up. then again saudia arabia is already doing that.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destruction_of_early_Islamic_heritage_sites_in_Saudi_Arabia

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

rumors are floating around that the US embassy is being evacuated? any truth to that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Torpor posted:

I watched that ISIS propaganda video. I gotta say when it is muted and you just watch the action scenes it looks like the kind of video a kid would make for a Call of Duty highlights reel. It is also really, really damning; we're talking like warcrimes 101 - a case study.

speaking of that. http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/27838978 this rear end in a top hat joined ISIS leaving his kids behind so that who could play COD IRL edtion. I honestly hope he dies.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

McDowell posted:

ISIL might want to rethink their broad daylight vehicle parades

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-28066909

sounds like the making of another highway of death.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Highway_of_Death

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

They have lessons you know.

Is that a giant knife? It looks like something out of IS final fantasy.

Section 31 posted:

^^
Who (man on the right) ?

Horrible, don't see :nms::nws:

so they are going after the kurds now? i thought they had a "truce" with Kurdistan? I have a friend in Kurdistan. So now i am worried.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I have a friend in Sulaimania, iraq. I hope ISIS doesn't make it there. :( She says that the Peshmerga are winning slowly. I hope she is right.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

McDowell posted:

I thought Zarqawi adopted the Al-Qaeda brand directly to maximize fear in US forces and rally the disaffected (saying 'this is the meme that hurt them before, it can hurt them again')

If the formal name was 'Islamic State in Iraq' and the information apparatus went 'tohayto tomahto' and used 'AQ in Iraq' that would not surprise me. Zarqawi and Zawahiri could feed back on each other both directly and indirectly until the Syrian War drove the change into ISIL.

stupid question, but wasn't Zarqawi loving nuts, like so nuts bin laden condemned him a bunch of times. also i read somewhere Zarqawi hosed kids or something heinous like that. So i can See Isis eventually growing out of somebody like him.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 8, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

I found this article on my facebook feed today. it's a interview with a Yazidi girl who survived ISIS sex slave prisons.

:nms: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/iraq/11080165/Yazidi-girl-tells-of-horrific-ordeal-as-Isil-sex-slave.html :nms:

Is it wrong to want to see ISIS killed to the last supporter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i am harry posted:

Good luck getting into the EU now you Turkish bastards!
/greekcypriot

In a youtube video of Kurdish sniper shots in this thread back when this was all fresh, there was some IS guy just sitting in the back of a Toyota manning a gun and the truck was just jerking from drive into reverse, back and forth, and then he got shot in the head. Exactly like in the video games!

I haven't seen that one yet? what page is it linked on?

Edit: never mind found it. am i a broken person for being sorta happy that ISIS guy was killed.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 23, 2014

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Yeah, but that was just goons on the street. Women still choose to wear it in places that they actually face more oppression for wearing it than they would if they didn't.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015/02/03/man-appalled-by-rude-way-delta-responded-after-bigot-on-flight-harassed-his-muslim-family/

don't read the comments if you value anything. I find it funny that the right wing has thrown away the one minority group that used to vote for them consistently.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SedanChair posted:

Yeah that article was posted entirely to solicit hatred. It's interesting because there's not even any ambiguity, it's clear and horrifying bigotry and harassment. Which I suppose is why most of the comments are outright doubting it happened.

yeah. There could be a video of dudes kicking the hell out of muslim woman, and the blaze would act like it was her fault.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Muffiner posted:

Morocco is in with a few aircraft as well.
So far: Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Bahrain, Jordan, Egypt, Pakistan, Morocco and Sudan are all taking part.

Jesus. is this gonna turn into a super war?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rincewinds posted:

Bashar al-Assad's spy chief arrested over Syria coup plot

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/11596142/Bashar-al-Assads-spy-chief-arrested-over-Syria-coup-plot.html

Not that I think he or any other would be much better leader if a coup took place, but it would be easier for negotiations if Assad were not in power.

So does this mean poo poo has gotten bad enough that his underlings are trying to off him to save themselves/bid for power. because in my ill-informed opinion it seems one of the only way to end the war is with Assad and probably most of his family killed. I mean if the spymaster is trying to have you capped, your pretty hosed.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 12, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mightypeon posted:

Which would have huge reprecursions elsewhere. A sizeable segment of the Kremlin "doves" right now is not exactly dovish, but wishes to escalate or renegotiate the situation once the USA has firmly embedded their private parts in Iran. I would imagine that similiar dynamics exist in Beijing. Heck, the Chinese may even move first, and Russia would be secretly incredibly delighted to pass the buck of "vanguard of resistance to western hegemonialism" to either Iranians or Chinese. Only that the Iranians are very unsuspecting at all, and watched with argus eyes for any possible Russian attempt of derailing the Geneva talks. Such attempts didnt materialize btw.

of course. but people like Bolton donest give a poo poo about petty things such as consequences. he just wants to burn iran to the ground and make it Iraq 3.0 cept a million times worse and probably alot more flayed men. Neocons like him get off to war, once iran is done, he will find someone else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...paign=ibtimesuk[/url]

It seems the girls who left the UK to get to Syria to be brides for ISIS apparently found out what being "brides" for isis entails and are now on the run in iraq.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 14, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

So in better news, US spec-ops went in and killed ISIS commander Abu Sayyaf in syria, they captured his wife and rescued a young yazide woman held by them. they also got a poo poo ton of Intel apparently. and no US casualties and at least 20 ISIS scum sent to hell. http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/16/middleeast/syria-isis-us-raid/index.html

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, it's weird having people say Baghdad was a bad battle or something. The US could probably take Mosul relatively quickly if enough forces were deployed. The problem is the political program. Any possible political program would basically result in either a Shia or Sunni revolt, possibly both, and any level of insurgency puts a ticking timer on US involvement. US anti-Shia policy strengthens the Iranian hand anyway, by basically shoving Shia political players into the arms of Iran, whose leadership was smart enough to play the long game, knowing that US policy would inevitably strengthen their hand.

It sounds like the entire region is hosed no matter what The US/NATO does. Yeah we could probably take out ISIS with ground forces and install (another) new government, but it will just start all the poo poo all over again with whichever group gets left out. If we side with the Shia, ISIS or another radical suni group will rise up and kill any shia they can find and if we side with the Sunni we will have another ghost war with Iran and shia militias will just shoot any sunni they can find. and in both of these scenarios, the Kurds get hosed. and all of this isnt even touching on all the poo poo in Syria. Is there any solution to all of this poo poo? :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Assad is doomed.

ISIS has "liberated" a prison five kilometers from Al-Hasakah. That's more reinforcements for them no doubt and another provincial capital under ISIS guns.

http://syriadirect.org/news/syria-direct-news-update-6-1-15/

Rebels are doomed. Syria is doomed. :(

ISIS is on the verge of capturing Azaz, cutting off the rebels in Aleppo from resupply and opening another route up for ISIS if the one the Kurds are attacking falls.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...64ae_story.html

Well in a petty sad way, at least Assad is hosed, too bad its way to late to mean anything. Where has assad and his family been hiding anyway?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-necklaces.html
well isis did more awful poo poo that sounds like its from a comic book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Numerical Anxiety posted:

Jaish-al-Islam has put out a trailer for their upcoming release, a video of the execution of Daesh fighters. For some reason, the MPAA hasn't cleared this trailer for all audiences, so, at your discretion.

Am I a awful person for wanting to watch this. every other day, the daesh make some video of them horribly torturing and killing people. Its about time the same happened to them.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

New Division posted:

Here's footage of the raid that resulted in the death of the Muslim Brotherhood members in Cairo. Some blood naturally but I think most of you have probably seen much worse at this point. I believe this is probably from an Egyptian state broadcast but I am unsure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9LZTxC82kc

Christ. Is Egypt going to become the next syria now? It seems to have all the ingredients.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

Iran isn't any old country in the mideast region, Al-Saqr. Iran is an international state sponsor of terrorism and has invaded American soil within living memory without having the decency to so much as appoligize for doing so.

We're only entering a deal because Obama hopes Iran will have a regime change in the next decade. What if that doesn't occur? Then Obama has provided a global sponsor of terrorism with a nuclear shield to be used against all pressures available to force them to engage in responsible action.

I can see a regime change happening. Every Iranian i have ever talked to has been pretty progressive and most of them want reform. Plus iran has a massive population of people under 30. I can see a revolution happening or at the very least the government being heavily reformed.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

i was watching game of thrones of late and it came into my broken head that the middle east is alot like westeros and essos
all the leaders of the various countries are a different shade of bad and do awful poo poo to each other or their own people. the best leaders of the middle east are basically like stannis baratheon who while they are "fair" and keep the country stable, still kill people in horrible ways for various "crimes" in public to keep the religious fanatics happy. the others are either like tywin lannister, who just use the country as a power structure for their intimidate and extended family. ISIS are the Boltons and Israel is dorne.
and then america/nato aka dany stumbles with sorta good intentions and superior weapons and makes it worse, killing thousands and destabilizing the entire region even more.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 13, 2015

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

My Imaginary GF posted:

You're right.

If only an appropriate Turkish leader would take care of Erdogan and set the nation back on the proper course, well, I'm sure we could afford to send Turkey a few excess squadrons of F-16s then.

well, thats probably going to happen sooner or later.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Summary of what Russia has done in Syria the last few weeks, with opinions from US officials.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/05/world/middleeast/russian-moves-in-syria-pose-concerns-for-us.

seems like Russia is gonna spread itself thin with them fighting in the Ukraine and now/soon Syria.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I watched this lecture on the Syrian civil war and the conclusions are troubling, I was hoping someone might have input on the presenter’s conclusions:

Assumptions about the future of the war
  • Syrian Civil war will last years, widen, and draw in the entire region.
  • Sectarianism, extremism, and Great Power interest create the potential for this conflict to have global implications.
  • The United States cannot avoid involvement in this conflict; nor can it tolerate another long war in the Middle East.

The 5 things America MUST do
  • Topple Assad regime and replace with moderate Sunni government.
  • Draw the line on Iranian Shi’a expansion at Iraq.
  • Work within p5+1 (and with Israel) to stop Iran’s nuclear program.
  • Destroy ISIS and other Sunni extremist groups in Syria.
  • Join Arab and European countries to foster an Israeli-Palestinian “land and/or rights for peace” agreement

And the real kicker is that the final thing the presenter says is that actually we can’t DO most of those five things; we might be able to replace the Assad regime but something similar happened in Lebanon and they had a huge civil war (really hope I’m remembering the right country I’m typing this from memory, blame me not the lecturer); it’s questionable that we could stop the increasing influence of Iran; Iran will get nuclear weapons sooner or later; regarding ISIS “we can do a lot of destroying but that doesn’t mean we can destroy ISIS”; and we’ve been working for peace between Israel and the Palestinians and gotten nowhere.

So yeah, pretty poo poo. :(

Yeah. I have a bad feeling that this is just the beginning and this stuff is gonna spread all over the middle east.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

I really really really really really really really really really hope ISIS is going to royally piss off China.

china won't do poo poo sadly. they are busy with the economy imploading and trying to fight over lovely islands.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

thats loving depressing, it was probably easily preventable too. but knowing how there are probably jackshit in terms of safety standards and the saudis keep destroying most of historical mecca to make super hotels and malls, i am surprised it didn't happen earlier.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DarkCrawler posted:

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-34270771

"I'm going to Syria to fight a glorious jihad against the decadent and oppressive West! But seriously gently caress these dirty arabs though you should only join battalions with Europeans"

Good. eat and kill each other, you stupid wahabi fuckheads.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

interesting. it doesnt surprise me at all.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

why do i have a feeling this is going to be another Afghanistan for Russia.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Dilkington posted:

Considering how the Soviets conducted COIN operations with automatic mortars and MRLs, I hope it won't be.

Volkerball posted:

Probably because the Russian military are incompetent drunks and the insurgency in Syria is so pronounced that if Russia was doing what it is today in 2006, Americans would be like "Yeah, Iraq isn't going so well and things seem to be degrading, but I mean, it could be worse." The only question is how long it takes before Russia realizes what a horrible, horrible mistake they're making. With any luck, it'll be quickly, but I'm not optimistic.

Yeah, its gonna turn into a real horror show, again.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

whats messed up is apparently that's relatively common. its happened like 7 times in the last 20ish years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo how is this even possible. 9/24 never forget.

in the 90s like 1,000 people died in the same kind of incedent in mecca.

• Locked thread