Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

spaceships posted:

redemption was by far a better game as a whole than diablo. don't argue with me, i am correct.

I'm inclined to agree but then the main character longeth again for thee Anezka and I want to strangle the dialogue writer a thousandth time.

By the way, what exactly does the "safe" command open on the computer in the Metalhead warehouse? It requires a high hack skill (8?) but didn't seem to open anything at all when activated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Fuzz posted:

The whole idea behind Sabbat packs was based on The Lost Boys pretty directly, too.

Near Dark, actually.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Deleuzionist posted:

I'm inclined to agree but then the main character longeth again for thee Anezka and I want to strangle the dialogue writer a thousandth time.

By the way, what exactly does the "safe" command open on the computer in the Metalhead warehouse? It requires a high hack skill (8?) but didn't seem to open anything at all when activated.

I believe the safe opened the safe you were supposed to pilfer for Mitnick. I don't recall straight off, though. I can't remember the Metalhead warehouse very well.

Also, I completely agree regarding the dialog about Anezka. Though it was pretty cool seeing her "diaries" at the end of the game in the Cathedral of Flesh. Also finding not-modern currency in the Tzimisce foundry very late in the game, which was actually worth its value in modern currency, as I recall. 1 gold coin gave something like $100 in modern cash.

My biggest gripe about Redemption were the actual mazes themselves. Everywhere you went had three-five levels of dungeon crawling each whether it made sense or not. I think the worst bit was the Settite hideout under the theater. Didn't the theater itself have three levels of getting lost, and the Settites have another bunch?

If you've beaten Redemption before, go back through the section with Dev/Null and listen to what he says. Wilhelm was right. Dev/Null does try to warn you about Pink being an Assamite a bunch of times. Then he flat-out says he contacted Wilhelm and Ecaterina in his own special way. Pissed-off Christoph, indeed.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope

SourceElement posted:

I believe the safe opened the safe you were supposed to pilfer for Mitnick. I don't recall straight off, though. I can't remember the Metalhead warehouse very well.
No, not quite. You're supposed to use a computer in one room to get to the elevated office, where another computer sits awaiting the schrecknet commands. This computer has the safe menu too, but the safe isn't in any way related to the quest itself - that is if it is related to anything at all or if it even is a safe.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

I'll take you out, buddy!
This game has been around forever and I keep hearing good things and still haven't picked it up... maybe when I get home today I will pull the trigger on it.

Do I need any mods to make this playable on my shiny monitor? Or just fire it up and go?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Z0diac posted:

This game has been around forever and I keep hearing good things and still haven't picked it up... maybe when I get home today I will pull the trigger on it.

Do I need any mods to make this playable on my shiny monitor? Or just fire it up and go?

The games buggy as hell get the patches mentioned in the OP, stuff like the Society of Leopold Crash and the unmoveable log in the Temple late game are some of the worst.

Otherwise unmodded is a good way to start the game and as everyone has said before dont do a malkavian run first.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

LordLeckie posted:

The games buggy as hell get the patches mentioned in the OP, stuff like the Society of Leopold Crash and the unmoveable log in the Temple late game are some of the worst.

Otherwise unmodded is a good way to start the game and as everyone has said before dont do a malkavian run first.

But if I read the OP correctly, the patches come with the steam version? Or no?

Lant
Jan 8, 2011

Muldoon

Tewratomeh posted:

If you didn't know, there's a way to disable them. You can either disable them completely or else just enough so that you can slip past.

And for the record, if you don't disable at least some of the beams you literally cannot get through that hallway without triggering the alarm. I'm not sure if you tried disabling them, but if not then there's your problem.

Isn't the only way to disable them in the office next to them, where without Obfuscate at 5 you're a bit screwed out of not killing atleast 1 dude? (I am Nosferatu so trying to argue with them isn't an option).

CerebralDonut
Mar 5, 2004
So what race do you guys recommend for a third run through the game? My first run through (in 2004. Wow, quite awhile ago) I played as a Tremere, and my second run was a Malkavian. I'm trying to figure out what an interesting third race would be, but I'm not so sure. I think I'll be playing with the Camarilla mod.

Junubee
Feb 24, 2004

Cut it out, the players don't want to hear my problems.

Z0diac posted:

But if I read the OP correctly, the patches come with the steam version? Or no?

The official patches, yes. When you install the Unofficial patches (that fix far too many issues to count), you can choose an option to not add any 'plus' features, and do only bugfixes. Do that for a pure game, although I haven't tried it with all the new mods out.

Oh dear, here we go again. :(

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

CerebralDonut posted:

So what race do you guys recommend for a third run through the game? My first run through (in 2004. Wow, quite awhile ago) I played as a Tremere, and my second run was a Malkavian. I'm trying to figure out what an interesting third race would be, but I'm not so sure. I think I'll be playing with the Camarilla mod.

I always thought Toreador was pretty fun, Bullet time :hellyeah: plus I love the constant snide back and forth between the Toreador PC and any/all of the Nosferatu NPC's

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

CerebralDonut posted:

Nosferatu play quite differently if that is what you're after.

Spuzzz
Mar 27, 2005

I have hit my head some many times I am surprised I can remember my own name.

CerebralDonut posted:

Nosferatu are awesome. It's not as restrictive as it sounds, I had no issues running down the middle of road as long as I didn't get to close to people. I played him pretty much as a ninja, running around with a katana and obfuscate. Some things play out a bit differently, like you can't bribe your way onto the ship.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

CerebralDonut posted:

Brujah or Toreador, because you haven't actually played this game until you play it with Celerity.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

Is the patching process for the Unofficial one different in any way if I have the Steam version of the game?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Z0diac posted:

Is the patching process for the Unofficial one different in any way if I have the Steam version of the game?

Nope. Just make sure it's installing to the right directory.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

Fuzz posted:

Nope. Just make sure it's installing to the right directory.

Makes sense... what about the resolution fixer?

That won't let me choose...

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.
toreador is the best clan. Well, in the lore. But i have a soft spot for snobbish aristocratic dudes who pretend its the 19th century all day every day.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Just installed this game, played it for three hours straight! I just finished the dual personalities between Jeanette and her sister. Totally wasn't expecting that! This game is great. I love all of the characters, especially the stuttering thin-blood at the beach. For some reason, his character makes the game seem so real.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ThePopeOfFun posted:

Just installed this game, played it for three hours straight! I just finished the dual personalities between Jeanette and her sister. Totally wasn't expecting that! This game is great. I love all of the characters, especially the stuttering thin-blood at the beach. For some reason, his character makes the game seem so real.

Haha, keep playing. He turns up again in the story.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Fuzz posted:

Haha, keep playing. He turns up again in the story.

Not if you are cheating and drop Mass Suicide on those poor bastards, just to be mean.

OSheaman
May 27, 2004

Heavy Fucking Metal
Fun Shoe
I wish Chinatown was a bit more fleshed out. Everyone in there totally rules but they clearly didn't have enough time to give it the love they gave Downtown or Santa Monica.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
From what I read, near the end of development, they applied what they had learned working on the hubs and reworked Santa Monica.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
It's also a shame that this was technically the first game on HL2 engine (it WAS first but they were contract-bound not to release it before HL2) and I believe I've read in some video game magazine back when they started working on it that the version of the engine wasn't final, thus it doesn't feature the extremely well done optimization for which the engine is known.

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

I finally bought Bloodlines today. I have a little bit of disposable income and figured I should buy this game. Should I start out with the vanilla game, or mod it and then play through it?

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Boo This Man posted:

I finally bought Bloodlines today. I have a little bit of disposable income and figured I should buy this game. Should I start out with the vanilla game, or mod it and then play through it?

Start out with Wesp's patch, but don't install the plus options.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

DemonNick posted:

Start out with Wesp's patch, but don't install the plus options.

I disagree. The plus options restore the content which was meant to be in the game but which the developers didn't have the time to finish. As far as I'm concerned the restored content is part of the intended game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Pope Guilty posted:

I disagree. The plus options restore the content which was meant to be in the game but which the developers didn't have the time to finish. As far as I'm concerned the restored content is part of the intended game.

Yeah, most of the stuff in the Plus version is much-needed balance tweaks and restoring things that were obviously meant for use but were unfinished for one reason or another at launch.

You'd honestly never know it wasn't there at launch, if you just started playing with fanpatch+ from the start, because it all fits in.

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.

Z0diac posted:

Makes sense... what about the resolution fixer?

That won't let me choose...
The patch install should make a directory called 'Tools' in your Vampire root folder and drop the ResPatch executable in there. Fire that up and point it at your root VTMB foolder ('steamapps/common/vampire the masquerade - bloodlines' is default for steam installs I think) and it'll patch in widescreen for you.

McGuirk
Jan 28, 2010

Verloc posted:

The patch install should make a directory called 'Tools' in your Vampire root folder and drop the ResPatch executable in there. Fire that up and point it at your root VTMB foolder ('steamapps/common/vampire the masquerade - bloodlines' is default for steam installs I think) and it'll patch in widescreen for you.

Yea it took me a while but I figured it out... go me!

Now I am trying to get better at the controls and trying to figure out how the hell to apply the 2 XP I've earned... I am literally baffled.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Z0diac posted:

Yea it took me a while but I figured it out... go me!

Now I am trying to get better at the controls and trying to figure out how the hell to apply the 2 XP I've earned... I am literally baffled.

I don't think there's anything that costs 2XP or less, but once you have enough XP to spend, mouseover the dot you want to buy in your character sheet and click it to spend. So if you have 3XP and you want to buy your second dot in Brawl, for example, you mouseover the second dot of Brawl and click it to buy it. You can take back your purchases until you close the Character screen, which locks your choices in.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My only problem with the CQM is it makes the Tremere Males starting armor Black.

He already looks bad enough, he doesn't need a black shirt, thank you.

Thankfully you can fix this by installing the "Tremere Male Red" pack from the NPC files that came along with it.

So, wondering just how much side dialogue there is for the Toredor, Brujah, Ventrue, and Gangrel. Never played any of those clans, because I've always loved the fact tons of people react to you differently as a Malk/Nos/Tremere. Wondering if they actually have a decent amount of Ventrue only lines as well.

Also, how effective is firearms near the end of the game? I tried them before, but was rather underwhelmed by the 38/Utica in the early game, and didn't want to have to keep pumping points in to it just to make the Jaeger useful in the lategame. Does Arsenal kind of fix this?

Xavieri
Dec 26, 2008

Rookersh posted:

Also, how effective is firearms near the end of the game? I tried them before, but was rather underwhelmed by the 38/Utica in the early game, and didn't want to have to keep pumping points in to it just to make the Jaeger useful in the lategame. Does Arsenal kind of fix this?

After you get the Colt Anaconda, Deagle or Steyr, firearms become amazing. My Malkavian with maxed out ranged and Auspex started 3-shotting pretty much everything with the late game pistols. Made the second stage of the Sheriff fight a breeze as I could just shoot him out of the sky with automatic fire. Hell, high ranged skill makes every fight trivial after you get the endgame guns.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Rookersh posted:

So, wondering just how much side dialogue there is for the Toredor, Brujah, Ventrue, and Gangrel. Never played any of those clans, because I've always loved the fact tons of people react to you differently as a Malk/Nos/Tremere. Wondering if they actually have a decent amount of Ventrue only lines as well.

Ventrue is kind of neat, but simultaneously underwhelming, because a lot of people say LESS to you since they don't want to bitch about the boss in front of you.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Chainsawdomy posted:

Ventrue is kind of neat, but simultaneously underwhelming, because a lot of people say LESS to you since they don't want to bitch about the boss in front of you.

That's not a Ventrue thing, that's a Camarilla thing. It just so happens that people taht play Ventrue tend to play very Cammy for their Ventrue playthrough. If you go Ventrue Anarch, you get all the dialogue.

pee air
May 8, 2007

This is not my personal opinion.

Deleuzionist posted:

There's supposed to be a locked safe next to the computer that contains an item you need for Gary's fetch quests. However, it looks like it was removed in one of the mods in the Clan Quest pack. I just finished the Metalhead warehouse, and it wasn't there. As far as I can tell the safe command on the computer does nothing now.

pee air fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 19, 2011

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Brujah or Toreador, because you haven't actually played this game until you play it with Celerity.

Listen to this man, he is wise.

My first playthrough was Tremere and melee Potence/Celerity Brujah beats the poo poo out of Tremere. Its fun to stunlock people as Tremere with Blood Purge but it gets very samey around Chinatown.

Nothing, but NOTHING makes you feel like a stone-cold predator than sneaking behind some anonymous redshirt, stealth killing him, hitting Celerity and Potence, circle strafing around his three buddies and taking all three out with a hit each from your melee combo.

Punk Blood
Jan 8, 2008

The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

lewse jewse posted:

Well, my dreams of playing this game again have hit a road block. After getting the 15 MB memory bug, I downloaded the patcher linked earlier and successfully applied the patch... only to have it give the exact same error. Just in case, I got the executable patch and did that too, but no dice. What gives? :(

fake edit: I should mention that I installed the CQM with Camarilla and the other accessory mods.

double fake edit: just realized i never ran the game before modding it. gonna do a clean install and try that.

Had the 15mb bug and the low res textures bug. The fixes worked for me, but I used the hex editor method instead of patching(aside from the exe patch). Maybe try the hex editor instead?

Boo This Man
Mar 25, 2008

Im really enjoying the vanilla game. But, i try to run the widescreen patch and it won't execute in Windows 7 32bit. I've ran the program as Administrator and no success. I really want to play the game with widescreen resolution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
You have to drop the patcher file into the BIN directory in wherever you have the game installed.

• Locked thread