Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Good Christ, I forgot just how bad the textures were in this game. Yikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Installing the modpack doesn't seem to work for me :\ is there some special trick to it? I've tried on both of my V:tMB-enabled computers and it's not clicking with either.

I'm using the Steam version, if that's relevant, and I recall taking the steps outlined in the readme for them.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Is the graphical overhaul mentioned in the first-from-OP lost to time, or is it still out there somewhere? And is it any good at all?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

So how does one get the music mod to work? I used to do it up manually (replacing game .mp3s with my own renamed songs) but ran into the same issue - entering an area in which a new song is implemented causes a CDT. Anybody run into this and got past?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

WMP has never been opened on my computer! All through iTunes. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to convert to WAV and then back to mp3.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No, just use the Clan Quest mod. Any patch updates beyond that are minimally different and lack the substantial content additions that CQM provides

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Yeah, Camarilla's the better of the two imo

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I'd place Deus Ex on a different level of "cult classic" than VtMB. The latter is still largely unappreciated while the latter was a modest success but still lauded as one of the (if not the) best games ever made. Plusit had the good fortune of being picked up by Squeenix, a mid-size publisher willing to take risks on reviving well-regarded Eidos properties. That's a pretty rare thing.

Personally I'd wager that nothing will be done with it, the second likely option being that they license it to a small and new-ish company for a Kickstarter. Beyond the fact that they've likely already settled on their next KS project, a visible and accomplished company like Obsidian is better served by creating their own IP and not splitting profits. Beyond that there's the possibility that a foolhardy boutique publisher like Paradox could license the property. But WoD's star has fallen enough in general that I'm skeptical they could pull together the millions needed to make a game as robust as Bloodlines.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Otoh, it looked like half-finished rear end when it came out and it still does today. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if a whole lot of people turned the game off when the Sheriff summons wolves and they bug out horribly. That's kind of Troika in a nutshell, good games in spite of themselves.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Did you install multiple mods? Uninstall then go into the directory, wipe anything left over, and reinstall. Then install just one mod.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I hadn't anticipated that 9.0 would include obfuscate-capable dogs at the beach house who only become visible when you open the back gate and cannot be subjected to targeted powers. Great work, wesp

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

xanthan posted:

...is this an actual thing or are you taking the piss?
There's a poorly animated dog in the little enclosed area near the side entrance to the beach house. You can see it until you shut down the power, at which point it appears to wink out of existence (at least if you go by the stealth meter) until you open the gate, at which point it winks back into existence and raises the alarm of all enemies on the map. It makes ghosting the map very difficult. I rolled up an initially combat-averse Nosferatu (investing in animalism at creation, not obfuscate) so it's really annoying.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

*e - whoops wrong thread

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That was one of my favorite little touches in the game, a reminder that your character had a full life before their turn but that it and the people in it don't matter anymore at all and never will again. I think most WoD games (including tabletop here) kind of miss that melancholic aspect and focus on the forward momentum and intrigue of the new life. I guess maybe Changeling is more grounded in that nostalgia than anything.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Unless it's been patched in, I'm pretty sure you can stealth kill at Obfuscate 3, but you have to use the interact button rather than the attack button.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

ForeverSmug posted:

I honestly don't think I've ever finished a game below max humanity. Do you have any examples of these alternate scenes?
It actually changes quite a bit of dialogue, even if the actual content of the game doesn't change all that much. VtmB is one of the few games that locks you into dialogue based on how you play. You don't get the option of being diplomatic or being an rear end in a top hat, if you have low humanity you're just an rear end in a top hat. The only thing I can compare it to is talking to the general / quartermaster in Deus Ex, who'll take you to task for killing people. You don't get to rationalize it, Denton basically just says "so what?". It's kind of refreshing.

Off the top of my head, the Downtown plague quest and the Hollywood scriptwriter quest are both affected by having low humanity. If you're below 5 on the scale you lose the humanity-gaining quest options in both cases (you torment the dying woman and kill the thin-blood, respectively). At a certain point in the game it's actually kind of hard to build up your humanity without paying for it. You can lean on the dancefloor easter egg, but that's only good for 3-4 points.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Check around the apartments in the Downtown area.

I hate Chunk so I always drain him dry.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Generally speaking you should go in on security or hacking and preferably both. You'll fare well enough getting lockpick to 2 and then using blood buff to boost your skill through most of the game.

Really, your early game is probably well-suited to rounding out your character with 2 points in relevant skills. Brawl, dodge, hacking, security, sneak. Scholarship can save you some XP, conceivably, and it gives you some persuasion options, but it's optional.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If you don't want the CQM content then just download that mod's version. It's just about the last substantial one that anyone can agree is worthwhile

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Anti-aliasing sounds like a likely culprit, if you've imposed it somehow.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That's a harsh way of putting it but yeah, Troika's mismanagement and exceedingly optimistic take on how organized they'd need to be and how much work needed to be done to build games up from scratch is well-documented. Troika probably could have bounced back and found other contract work, but their reputation as dudes who couldn't get things done was poisonous.

The only reason a dev house like Obsidian has lasted as long as it has is because Feargus can hold down the business side of things. Nobody was doing that at Troika.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Trying to move along from the sad comedy that is what tries to be stability in this game, does anyone else feel like the game turns into more of an FPS oriented shooter during hollywood? Tidbits and morsels of the story begin to become scarce and come far between plot advancements.
Bloodlines was wrapped up after Troika had essentially stopped existing as a studio, or so the story goes. But in general, every AAA game gets some (usually a lot, with RPGs) of content cut, and that's why so many RPGs become progressively more linear as they go

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Leonard Boyarski jumped ship yesterday from Blizzard, of all places. He's now employed by Obsidian Entertainment, home of Tim Cain (and for a brief while, Brian Mitsoda) and close associate with Paradox, full owner of all White Wolf properties. Wonder what could have enticed him over? I wonder I wonder

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

In the past Obsidian has had three concurrent projects, give or take, at any given time. Right now they've got Tyranny, an unannounced game (codenamed Louisiana) that most assume is a Pillars of Eternity sequel, but all we know for sure is that it's not a Fallout game. Then they have staff maintaining and updating some MMOs for a Russian conglomerate.

It's always possible that Lenny Boy just thought a change of scenery was in order and decided to shack up with old buds apropos of nothing in particular. Tyranny will be out some time this year, so presumably it's in the production phase, and in that case there may be artists and the like from pre-prod who could work on concept stuff, but that's a stretch. In any case, the stars are aligning for the mother of all Fig pitches

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

The Paradox spokesman did say we'd first hear about digital WoD stuff this year. But you'd think they would be smart enough to recognize when a dog won't hunt.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

IP licensing is odd - for example, Black Isle lost the rights to making D&D games except when branded as Icewind Dale or Baldur's Gate, and for that reason they were making a game that was branded as BG when they shut down even though had nothing to do with the BG franchise in any way beyond the Forgotten Realms setting. As the primary controllers of WoD I'd assume Paradox has a fair amount of leeway in terms of making a direct sequel, not that you'd necessarily need one.

Someone in the WoD tabletop thread pointed out that Paradox is licensing out WoD-branded slot machines so this trademark might be associated with that.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Upmarket Mango posted:

Ocean House Hotel: Still unsettling. Especially the basement areas.

And I just realized I missed the fireaxe. Where is that located?
I think you have to buy it from Fat Larry

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Obsidian's scheduling is a little tricky right now, but they're apparently working on an unannounced game and Cain / Lenny Boy are working on it, so who knows.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

SplitSoul posted:

I want a remake or sequel to this game on a modern engine so bad. :sigh:
Contrary to my previous reports Tim Cain and Lenny Boy are working on an *unannounced project* at Obsidian so there's hope at least

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

If they make a medieval isometric WoD game I swear to God

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I do wonder what the purpose behind specifically including Mass Effect 2 in the poll was. Perhaps they are as clued into the structural brilliance of it as I am

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

It's worth pointing out that the survey is asking about replayability, which is not the same as narrative variance, or even necessarily choice reactivity (except in the strictest sense). I'd bet money that the vast majority of people who replay a game do so even when they've seen every inch of content in it. They replay it because it's fun to play or immersive or whatever, not because they're going to see something new. AP or the Witcher 2 are significant anomalies, and I'll never play Witcher 2 after my first run because it's so goddamned long.

A long, boring and/or mandatory intro mission will kill the replayability of a game far more than false choices presented. My attempted replays of AP and KOTOR2 frequently fall prey to this fact. The inclusion of ME2 is encouraging because that game completely avoids the low level D&D syndrome and divides every single unit of game action into 1-2 hour chunks that are not too short and not too long. It's like playing a very binge-able television show.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 13, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I just want them to make another Bloodlines. The hub-and-spoke level design was great and interesting enough that I didn't mind hauling my rear end across Santa Monica a thousand times.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Some tiny news site wrote up a short piece on the survey but they also posted some quotes from an interview with Feargus from Obsidian a few months ago that I don't remember making a huge splash, aside from the direct unofficial confirmation of PoE2's development:

quote:

Everything we’re working on right now is announced, except for one thing…Well, Eternity II is not announced, but it seems silly for me not to acknowledge it, though. If someone asks: “Are you working on it?”, I respond: “Well, wouldn’t you work on it?”. So then they say: “So you must be working on it”, and then I’m like: “Well, yeah”. How do you even get around that? It’s tough. So we have Eternity, Tyranny, the Pathfinder Adventures card game, and then there’s Armored Warfare. And that sucks up all but a few people. We’re looking at what the next thing will be that we’re going to make. We have Tim Cain working for us and Leonard Boyarsky has come to work for us recently. So I let people put two and two together.
Emphasis mine

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Heavy neutrino posted:

man at what point did obsidian become big enough to work on five different games at a time

not complaining but yeesh
Pathfinder's a mobile game and thus a skeleton crew is all it needs. Beyond that, game development works in stages and the heavy lifters in one stage tend to be more idle in other stages, so it's likely that a lot of the early design folks from Tyranny don't have so much to do now that production is winding down. They'd be working on PoE2 and the other game.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

No amount of fan modding can ever make the UI design better than garbage

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Did a gun go off at any point?

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For people not following the non-PC game side of things, Paradox announced that the Masquerade RP system is coming back, and that the official lore / canon will be developed, in real time, by LARPers, through social media. The people that Darth Windo is seeing will be steering the ship in a few years. Should be fun.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Dragonfall is the best Total Package game of the last 5 years, easily. But yeah, if you haven't played Deus Ex it's about as close as you get in terms of story strength and the feeling of a unique world just being jam packed with nooks and crannies and little stories. It's cyberpunk instead of modern horror but like Bloodlines it only takes place at night. It's also more reactive, too, at least in the first half, to a legendary degree. It's common for people to find new details years after their first run. I know I have.

The voice acting takes some getting used to, but after awhile I can honestly say that I can't imagine buying any edition of the game that improves it. It's one of the game's charms. There's also a learning curve to some of the mechanics, particularly stealth, but when you've got it down, you're good.

The more recent prequels are good in some ways and weak in other ways. They are slightly more linear and far less reactive, the stories are above average but not great. I've never felt the urge to replay them, which is not something I can say for Bloodlines or DX1, or Dragonfall for that matter.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

like seriously, why is it Skyrim and not Morrowind that got a remaster this year?
Probably because Morrowind is ancient

• Locked thread