Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

President Anime 2008 posted:

8 years later, well, it's been copied by myriad games since then (FEAR, Dead Space and Bioshock all have bits that remind me of that level). And they've got better graphics, sounds, therefore atmosphere... So I don't poo poo myself when I play that level anymore. Doesn't mean it's not an example of a loving sweet level.

The unexpected tonal shifts are exactly what kept the game interesting.

Santa Monica felt 40s film noir, Downtown reminded me of Deus Ex, many areas had a gothic horror, the snuff film subplot was like an over the top 70s slasher.

If the Chinatown section wasn't so rushed they could have pulled off a Kill Bill or John Woo type of atmosphere. Raiding LaCroix's tower could have been like scenes from a Blade movie.

By contrast, Bioshock only really 'scared' me the first level or two. After the initial awe at the atmosphere you knew what kind of fear to expect.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 19, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Vargs posted:

Did you skip the tutorial? It explains things pretty well. Might want to start over and go through the thing if you indeed passed over it. You even get a few free experience points, a worthless gun, and a lockpick which carry over to the game proper.

People say not to choose Malkavian for your first playthrough as it seems you've done, but gently caress that. Malk playthrough is the best playthrough. The only thing you're missing out on is the fact that it ruins replay value since no other clan choice can live up.

Hope you got the unofficial patch, by the way. Game's a giant buggy mess without it, and only a significantly buggy mess with it.

seriously though if he is restarting, let it be known that playing Malk is like watching a movie for the first time with director commentary.

but if he is just worried about the police being on his rear end, its not worth restarting. that'll go away pretty quick as long as you don't continue your crime spree.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Lavender Philtrum posted:

I have this game but didn't touch it after giving it a try and getting fed up with super long load times and annoying lag on a game I should be able to run easily. I don't think I had any patches at all installed, though. Does the fan patch help lag or just remove bugs/glitches? I might not bother if it's still as laggy even with the patch.

I've never played unpatched but as is my understanding it not only makes the game just playable, but a classic we are still talking about over 6 years later. And it accesses previously unused content and addresses balance issues. It may not be the best game mechanics wise, but some of the best game dialogue, voice acting and it just...personifies the feeling of being awake at 4AM.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 19, 2011

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Sie posted:

So I'm playing Bloodlines for the first time as a Toreadore and I'd much rather talk and hack my way through the game rather than relying too much on combat. For the social and diplomatic side of things, is it worth stacking points into seduction, persuasion and intimidate or that just overkill?

I haven't really found some of the feat descriptions all that useful when character building; some don't really tell me how the feat relates in gameplay terms. Sure, stuff like seduction is simple to figure out - a dialogue based skill - but something like inspection? No idea.

Any tips?

You do get more dialogue options with multiple talking skills, so I think that is funny and makes it worth it. But yeah they are often redundant if your goal is to "get person x to do y".

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

jerkstoresup posted:

I guess that's why we're still talking about this game. :smug:

edit: reading this thread has gotten me to play again as Tremere for the first time. I don't know if I've never noticed or if it's only Tremere, but what's with the black shadowy figure that disappears when you get close next to the pawn shop in Santa Monica?

I posted this somewhere in this in this thread or the old one, but there is that eyeless blooddoll in the Hallowbrook hotel. I tried to put him out of his misery, but as soon as I swung some shadowy figure grabbed him and took him through the ceiling :eek:

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

octoroon posted:

Dead State by Brian Mitsoda, the lead writer of Bloodlines is up on KickStarter! Always wished you could support this game financially and actually have the money be a vote for the sort of devs who make awesome games? Now is your chance.

Nice, this game looks like it has all the nuanced elements that made Bloodlines better than your standard hack and slash RPG. donated.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I still give love to the Beach House, the first real mission.

The whole premise reeks of noir paranoia, seeking retribution for an already sketchy guy who you found bleeding and beat the poo poo up by a drug dealer.

The house is laid out like a regular rear end house, not some unrealistic video game mansion. At this point, you really have no idea how powerful you are in combat, and there were gangsters all lingering about, watching TV or just smoking. Could I sneak in, seduce the fat guy, or would it have to get ugly? I dunno, I liked the realistic tension and seemingly many ways to go about it. Then you realize, hell I "maybe I can take on a few measly humans with guns."

The game is most tense if you play with the attitude "I don't want to hurt you, but I will" :clint:

Like in the Ocean House, nervously gripping on your weapon but not actually using it.

In Fallout New Vegas, that tension of fight or peace wasn't quite there, I always knew without enough speech skill there'd be another solution (often reached with hammy dialogue)

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Aug 3, 2012

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
put on headphones, make sure no one is home, play around 1AM. Turn off all the lights.

That fireaxe and shotgun will keep you safe....

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

HondaCivet posted:

OK I must be thinking of a different game . . . Deus Ex maybe? Thanks though, I will be sure to make a very punchy/shooty guy then.

you don't even need to min/max it. you can have moderate skills in both say knifing and shooting and you will be more than OK. (though guns are weaker at first). Go into every situation thinking non-violence first (but always be paranoid in case things so south) and it will be a more interesting experience.

and yes be prepared, the end game is a rushed hack and slash gallery whereas 3/4th of the game can be sneak/RPG talk/adventure game style.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Oct 25, 2013

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Amazing, I wish he wouldn't waste time on multiplayer.

Just make the same drat game with minor enhancements and a smooth engine! :argh:

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Accordion Man posted:

Its sad that this game is nearly decade old yet very few RPGs since have rivaled it in atmosphere and roleplaying.

I'm trying to think what games have come close... New Vegas till you have conversations with NPCs. And all those Bioware games are too slick and polished.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 was very stable and I haven't heard anything bad about South Park: The Stick of Truth, so Obsidian seems fully capable of releasing a mostly bug-free game.

Deus Ex and Alpha Protocol are the first ones that come to mind.

I loved Alpha Protocols timed dialogue system! And the voice acting was pretty good. The characters though are unmemorable and the details of the spy plot never grabbed. And the "countries" were just arcade shooters, not much for world building.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ddraig posted:

Sorry but if you think Brayko is unmemorable then you probably have Alzheimer's

Heck, there's also Heck.

Alpha Protocol was several different cheesy spy movies mashed together and you could choose which one you wanted to play or create some sort of amazing hybrid. It was awesome :colbert:

That is true Brayko and Heck were pretty awesome, I even liked the teen Russian goth assassin. I'd play a game based on its dialogue options alone.

But everything seemed to pale and fake compared to the paranoia of being a vampire pawn. The environments felt very Mass Effect sound-stage like.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Xachariah posted:

The old Clan Quest Mod is probably not compatible with the new Unofficial Patch 9.0. UP 9.0 also contains a lighting mod in a Mod folder if you choose to install "Mods" from the checkbox during installation of the patch.

Clan Quest Mod includes version 7.9 of the Unofficial Patch. So I suppose you have two choices for the base game fixin'. Either the CQM where you also get extra quests but were the Unofficial Patch isn't wholly up to date (not necessarily a bad thing from what I understand). Or just Unofficial Patch 9.0 over the base game.

If you choose the second option you have another choice between bug-fixed vanilla version and an additional "plus" version (you choose plus or not during installation) where it restores cut content and the patch creator also tweaks things to make more sense thematically. Allegedly.

edit: As to which is a better experience? I really don't know. I haven't played the Clan Quest Mod and I don't know if the bug fixes between version 7.9 of the Unofficial Patch and 9.0 are significant. Also no idea if + version of the UP 9.0 is worth it over vanilla, I personally chose plus because of the cut content restoration. I'm only gonna play it once.

Did we get an answer on what is the most stable combinations of Clan Quest, Camarilla Edition and Wesp Patches? I am unsure from reading the last few pages.

I used the downloader for Clan Quest 3.0, that apparently contains Camarilla 1.4 and Wesp 7.9.

Can I do better? Apparently Camarilla Edition is at its final beyond 1.6.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
So I'm playing CQM with Camarilla... I have no points in brawl, but I can't even suck a rat. Is this normal or glitch?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Davin Valkri posted:

Which clan are you running? If it's Ventrue, then there's no glitch, they just can't suck rats period. If it's not...I dunno.

This is my 3rd runthrough, but first Malk. (and first with mods other than Wesp stuff) When I was Ventrue, Iwould just vomit out blood when I ate rats. but with 0 in brawl, every attempt "fails". With CQM this is becoming an issue (is there a way to change the blood timer settings? I find it annoying). I've never NOT put points in brawl before, I thought I could at least survive on bums and rats.

e: grammar

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Apr 27, 2014

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Spaseman posted:

You could try experimenting by opening the console and entering vstats buy brawl a couple times to get some points in. Once your done you can just use vstats sell brawl as many times as you need to get your brawl level back down.

ehh good idea, I just by experience points put some in brawl, so its better.

Also, there is nothing for sale at Trips Pawnshop anymore. Bug?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Davin Valkri posted:

Have Mercurio or Knox or the bail bondsman mentioned that he sells guns yet, or failing that, have you persuaded him to show his stock? If they have/you have, it might be a Camarilla mod special thingy?

Yeah looking back on the thread someone with the same install as me also complained that Trip's is empty. Other than the skill book, I don't recall ever needing his weapons.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Now I have 1 point in brawl, and still fail when feeding in Santa Monica or the sewers. Not even rats. I can feed in combat zones. With CQM this is becoming an issue. Bugged?

Oddly enough when I played this game years ago with only basic patches, I never encountered any bugs, and now I see tons. I really want to see the extra content in CQM and Cam.

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 29, 2014

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

King Vidiot posted:

On low humanity, man, that conversation with the plague victim in the Downtown apartment complex is harsh if your humanity is really low.

maybe I'm just a big baby, but I cringe and can't ever choose the wantonly cruel dialogue options (plot-centric revenge doesn't count :clint:). Even the pettily mean things.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

RagnarokAngel posted:

He does have a few unique lines for Ventrue which is kinda neat, at one point he is like "It is our responsibility to herd the lesser clans you know." and gives you a knowing smile. The facial animations are still really great despite the age of the game and give so much characterization.

His voice acting was great. I loved how smug he was when discussing his high-bred European past and his sire. It reminded me a bit of Dr. Evil

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Accordion Man posted:

It loses it impact in subsequent playthroughs but the Ocean House is still such a rad level.

Ocean House is awesome because its your first real fight as a vampire, you really have no idea what the gently caress is going on, how strong you are etc. and there are multiple ways to get in, fix and resolve poo poo.

And its one of the few buildings that actually is built like a real house. (try eavesdropping on the drug dealers conversations, its pretty funny)
Also, the rain and noir atmosphere of Santa Monica was just something else.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Ocean House is the haunted place, not the drug den.

Drug Den is pretty rad too, especially since alot of people don't even know you can talk to the people instead of going guns blazing.

Oh yeah thats the beach house. Besides seduction/persuasion and guns a-blazing you can sneak around too. Listen to their chatter, then cut the power. Its pretty cool.

Gyshall posted:

Is that the first mission? I did not know you could talk to dudes there.

Other than the surfer guarding the gate and the Gang Leader, its eavesdropping while hidden, not talking.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Psion posted:

Toreador is an excellent choice. Celerity really does own.

I find Ventrue kind of boring, but you get some neat dialogue. Of course no clan beats Malkavian for neat dialogue.

Ventrue is funny because LaCroix opens up a bit, and waxes all Dr. Evil nostalgic. Also, yes if you deny him enough he clearly uses dominate on you.

Does that new Clan mod actually have the voice actor playing LaCroix doing new lines?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I bought it since I'm a retard.

Only played like 20mins but it's very rough visually, not enough to bug me but eh. I chose a Witch as my starting class since I like persuasian based characters and the combat is better than Bloodlines but not by a huge amount, I've just been mashing 2 to throw a fireball while enemies shuffle towards me. This might change.

Every human you feed on also becomes part of your bloodline which is cool I guess, there's even a big family tree menu and you can give assignments to your vampire underlings. Overall it's not great and it either will get better or worse as you go through the game but if 13 dollars isn't too much for you it's worth a shot.

Is it like Bloodlines but combat only? The best part about Bloodlines was not always feeling you needed to fight. The choice of fighting, negotiating/intimidating, doing something morally questionable or sneaking around was the best part.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Where is the bloodrate line drain in the cfg file? a save got corrupted in my Clan Quest/Cam Mod game, my blood timer never drains.

I also don't want to have to do yet another reinstall. I haven't played this game in years, but drat the ambiance drew me in again.
It was cold and rainy outside playing right before bed. Just like it is in Santa Monica....

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 12, 2016

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Never tried that, what does it do? Knowing the AI in this game it sounds like needless babysitting.

Its functionally decent (there is dialogue that will move them out of the way if they block you), and its not exactly lore breaking. (I mean no one seems to notice another person in the room with you in 1 on 1 dialogues)

I just feel the companion mod turns them from somewhat 3 dimensional characters with a plot and an arc to a Fallout 1 add-on.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
I play this about once a year like most of ya'll. Always blown away every time, but like everyone says you really lose momentum 3/4th in. Why is that? The sewers never annoy me in reality as much as the memory of it. The first half of Chinatown is great,and the rest isn't bad, just feels like a lot of missed potential (as with the Nosferatu warrens).

What do you all think causes everyone to lose interest a lot of interest at about the same point?
Is just the decline in quality so gradual you don't realize it sort of peters till suddenly it becomes a drag?

CatchrNdRy fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jul 21, 2016

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Nordick posted:

Man, after all these years, "I'll tie her eyelashes to her rear end hairs and bowl her rear end into a car compactor" is still one of the funniest threats I've ever heard. Oh, Damsel. :allears:

If I hadn't promised Nines I'd keep my nose clean, I'd go over right now and rip him a new wizard chute - Magic Missile casting motherfucker!

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Well I answered the survey like the Bloodlines shill I am.

Can someone explain the extreme appeal to Alpha Protocol? The one time only-timed dialogue, yes that is an amazing mechanic, but what else was actually particularly stand out about it? Either way, I at least appreciated the fact it and Bloodlines takes place in modern day rather than the future or medieval times.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Yes, yes everyone I know Alpha Protocol is master at reactive and storyline branches. I guess its a matter of opinion, but this being a Bloodlines thread...I did not feel the writing or atmosphere or interest in the plot was even close to matching Bloodlines. AP felt like a airport paperback (I'm aware I'm comparing it to vampires). I played through it once, and didn't feel the urge to play again.

And for all those complaining about the long combat levels in Bloodlines, Alpha Protocol is 90% combat. I guess my point is AP had its high points, but it did not fill the Bloodlines-shaped hole in my heart like everyone claimed it would.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Rebel Blob posted:

I dunno. In both games you can defeat your mastermind enemy by giving him what he desires, but actually turns out to be a bomb.

Ha I'd rather side with LaCroix than Halbech

Ledgem posted:

I have a question about how to get past the stripper assassin quest; I've scoured google and haven't found any way to solve my issue.

No matter how I defeat chastity, I get the "you made too much noise" result of the quest. I've tried melee, tremere's drain health attack, and guns, none work. I've made sure to have everyone leave too, both dudes are gone and the other stripper paid to leave the room.

I'm pretty sure I'm using the unofficial patch.

Is this quest just bugged? is there a console command to just say "quest completed properly" I can input or some file I can edit?

I just want to continue playing the game and can't let go doing this quest the bad way unless I absolutely have to.

Sounds bugged to me, I've chopped and shot the hell out of her and didn't fail.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Crono S. Magnum posted:

I have a copy of the GoG version myself and it was pre-installed from what I could tell.

I was kind of hoping to do a run through of it with that installed and then try the clan quest mod since I've never beaten this game before. Can anyone tell me if I'll have to take extra steps to install the CQM when I'm ready?

The installer for CQM should override and install the appropriate Wesp patch and have options to integrate other compatible mods.

The timed blood counter, (you lose blood with time) actually made it more fun. It makes feeding a regular but not annoying need.

The extra missions range from pretty good to moderately crappy. I didn't play Ventrue, but I think they got La Croix to voice again?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
As run-of-the-mill forum nerds, who love Bloodlines and maybe read thr oWOD wiki a few times, would they accept us as fellow Kindred? Or is that not impressive enough? I think that would be enough to talk the talk.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Darth Windu posted:

I really wanted to try to infiltrate their society but my gf said no :(

Uhh well spend some points in Persuasion , then you'll have the last laugh :twisted:

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Also there is nothing to do in the sewers other than eat rats, get turned around and miss out on all the atmosphere up top.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

Fuzz posted:

Nope, it's still a crappy area with a crappy quest.

I wonder what ways can the library be improved?

1) voice acting

2) it seems so abrunt. out of nowhere. it be nice to have some clues littered about, regarding missing Kindred

3) The Lasombra appearing every once in awhile, was pretty cool, but I fail to see how it connects.

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

anime tupac posted:

Is there anything you guys enjoy playing that scratches the same itch as this game?

I can't think of anything outside of the Bethesda games, but if there's some similar character-creation RPG that I'm missing, please let me know!! :yaycloud:

Dead State has its flaws, is not voice acted, but Brian Mitsoda (the lead on Bloodlines) wrote the dialogue, so it occasionally has that snap to the dialogue.

Shadowrun Returns, kind of has the mood and writing, and hub home feel. But again is a turn based game and is not voiced.

So in short, no nothing is like 100% like Bloodlines.

Upmarket Mango posted:

Deus Ex, the first one in particular, gives me a lot of the same vibes.

e: if youre up for something a little more crazy, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy is a trip

How is Human Revolution?

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.

PureRok posted:

And the story goes to complete poo about half way through.

You know, I actually meant Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut. I'm about 2/3rd I think, and its held up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatchrNdRy
Mar 15, 2005

Receiver of the Rye.
Bringing the topic back into focus here is our "kind of like Bloodlines" consensus from reading this thread for years:

-Deus Ex
-Deus Ex: Human Revolution
-Baldur's Gate
-Fallout: New Vegas only
-Shadownrun: Returns, Dragonfall and Hong Kong
-Alpha Protocol (I'm the lone dissenter)
-Eye
-The Secret World MMO

So, in short nothing like it really.

• Locked thread